Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jamsta posted:

15 cheese slices in a pan. Melted. Gonna do by burgers like this next time.

Not a burg, would still shove it down my gaping maw like the Reach flip-top head guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A double is too much. I want a lower ratio of meat to fixings and bun.

I got old.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Arglebargle III posted:

I got old.

It's well past your bedtime.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arglebargle III posted:

I got old.

Wrong! For any amount of meat, it may be divided into two patties rather than one, and be twice as crispy and delicious when both patties are stacked together.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have never liked the double. A burger is not just about the meat, it is about the combination of flavors. When that combination of flavors becomes difficult to achieve because of the restrictions of your jaw, then something must be corrected.

E: not your jaw

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 20, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bogart posted:

I have never liked the double. A burger is not just about the meat, it is about the combination of flavors. When that combination of flavors becomes difficult to achieve because of the restrictions of your jaw, then something must be corrected.

A plain burger on a bun with nothing at all is still a burger.

A bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, etc, is not a burger.

Burgers are about the meat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've been seeing lots of doughnut places with those small pipettes of liquor jutting out of them.

Do you think there's a burger place that does that? A western-style burger with a shot of bourbon directly squeezed into the meat? A pipette of thin, runny cheese?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

MrYenko posted:

A plain burger on a bun with nothing at all is still a burger.

A bun with lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, etc, is not a burger.

Burgers are about the meat.

You have missed the word 'just'. It is not 'just' about the meat. A burger on bun may be a burger, but it is not a good burger.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I recently made smashburgers on a cooking steel and they were fantastic, crispy as hell. When smashing them, however, the fat flared up and the whole surface of the steel caught fire. Nobody died and they turned out excellent, but are there any tips to avoid this?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Jamsta posted:

15 cheese slices in a pan. Melted. Gonna do by burgers like this next time.

Tried it with chicken yet?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Force de Fappe posted:

Tried it with chicken yet?

Used 15 slices of cheese melted in a pan. Might try to put some additives in to make cheese more liquid, as when it cooled is turned quite thick and solid (fnar).

Chicken? Maybe.. or burger patty halves...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anjow posted:

I recently made smashburgers on a cooking steel and they were fantastic, crispy as hell. When smashing them, however, the fat flared up and the whole surface of the steel caught fire. Nobody died and they turned out excellent, but are there any tips to avoid this?

Smash more gently. Are you adding additional fat? I have never had to add any extra oil when smashing. 80/20 has enough fat to cook itself.

Also, I 100% dislike a thick patty double burger. The only good double is a smashed patty double imo. Like two 3oz patties tops.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Single: Human
Double: Superhuman
Double with patties so thin it's as much meat as a single: God

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tried making my first smashed burger. Need a proper metal spatula with none of those holes/grooves in it for proper smashing without meat sticking up into the holes...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You can use the bottom of a heavy glass or mason jar in the meantime

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bogart posted:

You have missed the word 'just'. It is not 'just' about the meat. A burger on bun may be a burger, but it is not a good burger.

Minimalist burgers are good if you have really strong meat. Like you have beef cheek in the mix. Those have enough flavour to just stand on their own with some mustard or horseradish and be a great burger. Hell if it's really strong cheese and fresh vegetables kinda clash with it and make the whole thing worse.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Also,
https://youtu.be/MP_nWuLYpJw

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pro-click right there.
Babish is the best.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Pro-click right there.
Babish is the best.

Seconded. Although I suspect I may have posted that in the prior thread.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008
I tried to smash burg, but the pan wasn't quite hot enough, it tasted decent despite the lack of an excellent crust:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Also, I 100% dislike a thick patty double burger. The only good double is a smashed patty double imo. Like two 3oz patties tops.

This is the truth of God. Crust rules supreme.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Treated my aunt and uncle to burgers and beers as a thank-you for walking my dog for the past week. Went to BurgerFi (a small chain), and was not disappointed. I had the Breakfast All Day burger, which is a hash brown, a burger patty, a fried egg (over hard tho), bacon, cheese, ketchup, grilled onions, and maple syrup. It is so. drat. good. Also had an Intuition Aleworks I-10 IPA which was delicious as always, a very popular local offering.

The amount of fries they give you is astounding. But be sure to ask for extra-crispy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

a fried egg (over hard tho)

Aww, this hurts my heart. It sounds delicious but is there no way they'll cook the egg over easy and leave the top bun off when they serve it? Kinda defeats the purpose of putting an egg on the burg.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Midniter posted:

Aww, this hurts my heart. It sounds delicious but is there no way they'll cook the egg over easy and leave the top bun off when they serve it? Kinda defeats the purpose of putting an egg on the burg.

I'll have to ask next time, but it looked like they do the egg in a ring, mc muffin style. The whole sandwitch is pretty runny as is, so maybe a runny egg would be a bit much.

Maybe over easy-medium with a gooey center would be nice.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
tried smash burgin again last night with the leftover mince. Patties stuck to the cast iron skillet. Higher heat? Lower heat? Leave them on longer? The same batch of mince worked great last time I dunno what I did differently.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Higher heat, and or better scraping implements. If you let it cook long enough to release on it's own it'll be too much, usually a good smash requires a sharp edged spatula or bench scraper to properly flip.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got this for my burg smashing needs. Its thick enough and big enough to smash, and the beveled edge is good for scraping and flipping. I could probably sharpen the edge if I wanted it to be even better.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQAYKC/

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I have that same one, it owns really hard. (It is quite large if you're using an 8" pan but is perfection on big pans or griddles)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

I have that same one, it owns really hard. (It is quite large if you're using an 8" pan but is perfection on big pans or griddles)

I've taken to doing mine on a pizza steel over a propane burner outside, which is especially awesome because no edges.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thank you I definitely need a better tool so I ordered that same one.

edit: poo poo just read the part about it being large and difficult in a pan. I'm using a 12" lodge skillet, trying to do 2 patties at a time. I might look at getting a griddle.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I had the best god damned baconator for lunch today after posting that, god drat. Sometimes Wendy's really goes above and beyond burg wise.

Ranter posted:

Thank you I definitely need a better tool so I ordered that same one.

edit: poo poo just read the part about it being large and difficult in a pan. I'm using a 12" lodge skillet, trying to do 2 patties at a time. I might look at getting a griddle.

You'll have more than enough room in a 12" pan. My cast iron is an 8" which is where it's really tough to maneuver, since the spatula itself is like 5"*6"

The pizza steel does make for the best burging though:
(old pic that I'm pretty sure went in the last thread, but I don't care because this thread is new!!!!!)

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 26, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ranter posted:

tried smash burgin again last night with the leftover mince. Patties stuck to the cast iron skillet. Higher heat? Lower heat? Leave them on longer? The same batch of mince worked great last time I dunno what I did differently.

Better seasoning (I use bacon grease or grapeseed oil but it doesn't matter, just keep seasoning it) + higher fat content in meat + and just a touch of oil to grease/clean the pan before heating.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gwaihir posted:

The pizza steel does make for the best burging though:

The reason that pizza steel does better for burging is because it heats more evenly and it's a smoother surface than a modern cast iron pan. If you can find a really old school cast iron pan, they're usually thicker and have been sanded down to almost a mirror finish before seasoning.

Or you could just do your own:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Sanding-and-Polishing-Cast-Iron-Skillet-Cookware/

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I successfully smash burgd with the same batch of minced beef 2 days prior in the same pan, so I think I must have used a different level of heat as that was the only real difference. I definitely needed to get a good tool though because the thick plastic spatula with holes in it was not cutting it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ranter posted:

I successfully smash burgd with the same batch of minced beef 2 days prior in the same pan, so I think I must have used a different level of heat as that was the only real difference. I definitely needed to get a good tool though because the thick plastic spatula with holes in it was not cutting it.

I use a metal spatula with holes and it works alright for the most part -- the meat doesn't squeeze up through the slots or anything. The only problem is I'm a little worried about raw meat juice getting onto the top of the spatula, which I then use to flip the cooked burg and take it off the heat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ranter posted:

Plastic spatulas suck for this. They will snap.

Less than 6 bucks off of Amazon or probably waltzing into Walmart will get you a full metal metal one that makes this trivial.

Hit with heat. Smash. If it doesn't release don't flip if it isn't done yet. The burger will tell you when to flip when it allows it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hit with heat. Smash. If it doesn't release don't flip if it isn't done yet. The burger will tell you when to flip when it allows it.

This is in contradiction to an earlier response today in this thread, wherein they said letting it self-release is too long?

And yeah I bought the recommended metal spatula off Amazon.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The big metal ones are best but you can use a plastic spatula if you must. Use a meat tenderizer or heavy potato masher to push down on the lovely spatula so you don't snap it. Also gives you some weight.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I smash in a regular stainless pan if I do burgs in the house

But I have a Blackstone griddle that is really good - you can do like 20 on it at once and who cares how stinky and greasy it is because you're outside. Slightly curious as to if my neighbors can smell it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Look, I gots me some content (boosted from another thread :sigh:)!