Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
So far, the only differences from the alpha to the beta that I've noticed are the following:
  • The Souls Something trading company is gone. They gave you bounties to kill special skeletons with hats, who dropped skulls that would whisper to you.
  • Storms are more frequent and cooler, and actually have an effect on your sailing now.
  • I'm pretty sure they added more islands.
  • Also, they added the spyglass and sniper rifle.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's certainly not productive, but solo slooping around and taking potshots at the galleon gits is a lot of fun. It's not even as unbalanced as you might think because we all seem to terrible shots.:v:

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
cross platform is what sold me on this, pc crew + bone crew yeah i gently caress with that

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I just wanna say that another thing cool about this beta is that I haven't run into any shitters

Everyone has been laid back and want to cooperate as pirates and if they don't you can put them in gay baby jail and puke on them until they start playing nice

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

moist turtleneck posted:

I just wanna say that another thing cool about this beta is that I haven't run into any shitters

Everyone has been laid back and want to cooperate as pirates and if they don't you can put them in gay baby jail and puke on them until they start playing nice

It's crazy how many enemy ships are role playing. Almost everyone we run into is using a pirate voice and we've had multiple crews call a truce with us.

We even had a guy barter with us. He said he'd give us half of his loot if we let him live haha.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
I wish they'd just push the release date back to next year. They spent all their dev time making the water effects and sailing as awesome as possible but they didn't add a game around it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I wish they'd just push the release date back to next year. They spent all their dev time making the water effects and sailing as awesome as possible but they didn't add a game around it.

I think the game is going to release with the following:

- PVP

- Three trading companies offering quests that get more difficult and elaborate as you progress.

- Lots of cosmetics.

- Lots of titles.

- Some sort of daily quest and/or event system.

- Something else in the ocean to contend with, like Kraken and other sea monsters.

That's my guess for launch. I'm really not sure how far that takes the game. So far, my favorite parts of playing all involve interacting with other players. That is always going to be more amusing than NPC's and quests because people surprise you and come up with unique strategies.

But I don't think that's enough to sustain the game. They need to throw a surprise or two out there at release or open beta that gives people something else to do, and then be really clear about the roadmap for the game. Because the game has no levels, skills or equipment upgrades, there simply has to be a wider variety of things to do.

Just spitballing:

- More boat stuff. Give me rowboats that I can use to go ashore, maybe add some siege mechanics like grappling hooks to use against other ships. No idea how practical this is, but make boat damage more dynamic. I would love to see something other than holes that can be boarded up.

- Tavern mini games. Let me earn gold by playing pirate board and card games against other players.

- Different enemies. Skeletons cannot be the only bad guys during PVE quests.

- More consumables that benefit the crew. Let me discover fruits that give me a speed buff that lets me dig faster, or makes me more effective at sword fighting. This is something that is still accessible to everyone that could spawn on islands, shipwrecks and towns.

- Some kind of crafting or dying system for cosmetics. It would be cool to be able to dye clothes or customize a sword with different blade and handle designs.

- This is really far fetched, but some kind of reputation system where your ship reflects your crew's behavior during your play session would be awesome. Go around murdering everyone? Your boat is darker and has tougher looking sails. Treasure hunter? Your boat has gold decorative features.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
really i'm just hoping for sid meier's pirates 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

tqilamknbrd posted:

Not what you're getting, unfortunately, they'd have to add a full games worth of content and systems.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

tqilamknbrd posted:

I just want a first person Windward with PVP

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NAlInX9n-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhX7SxSshuo

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/w97KULu.gifv

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
I've played some of the alpha and beta and really enjoy just chilling out and treasure hunting. It definitely needs more content, and I hope that when they finish the beta they'll release some footage of the other content to drum up some more excitement for the game.

My main hopes are:

- krakens and other sea monsters
- Npc ships to loot
- npc pirate ships
- customisable ships
- trading runs with valuable cargo which makes you a target
- really thick sea fog so you won't know another ship is there till the last moment
- whirlpools/maelstroms
- 3 player crews
- more instruments and sea shantys (I hope they somehow get the rights to include the monkey island theme)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trying this but holy gently caress I don't have an xbox, am not an xbox insider. Trying to launch the xbox hub app on my PC gives some hosed up error. gently caress it, I can wait I'm not monkeying with cancelling pre orders. I just want to throw vomit on people anyways, which I can do in space station 13.

Already had to dick around for like 2 hours to get the windows store working again, pain in the arse!

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

What is the end game of this game? I've been thinking about it for a bit after playing the game for a couple of days. I realize that we're collecting dubloons to play pirate dress up so we can look fancy as we drink grog and vomit on each other, but I don't really see any sort of non-cosmetic upgrades working. Your crew size is limited to 4 people per ship, and death is inconsequential at the moment besides losing chests which are just used to unlock more doodads.

Cannon upgrades that impact game play wouldn't work due to balancing reasons unless they include some sort of match making system. It's possible there's the option for types of shot, but they'd have to only damage the sails, which would necessitate another repair mechanic/resource. Grape shot doesn't work thematically due to high lethality of cannon balls to players, and the small player count per ship when it was originally needed to clear decks with dozens. There's already high lethality in pirate vs pirate fights, and also a technological limits for the era leave us the guns and weapons we already have. I just don't see where it's heading besides pirate dress up simulator. I hope things like the kraken will keep it fresh and challenging, but the lack of content is rather stark once you've put some hours into the game.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There is no endgame. There's barely a midgame.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I almost got 2 friends to pre-order to get the beta and play with me, but then I remembered it's Windows 10 only and they're still on 7 so :shrug:

Great job Microsoft.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Lol if you don't role-play in this game BTW

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I roleplay as a pirate who is confused why there are no merchant ships to steal cargo from and the sea is filled with only other pirates.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Popete posted:

I almost got 2 friends to pre-order to get the beta and play with me, but then I remembered it's Windows 10 only and they're still on 7 so :shrug:

Great job Microsoft.

Why are your friends using a nine year old operating system?

btw Xbox Live name is "Bum the Sad" add me!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Why are your friends using a nine year old operating system?

btw Xbox Live name is "Bum the Sad" add me!

Windows 10 isn't even 3 years old yet and a lot of people just never bothered to upgrade because there wasn't much point. They aren't hardcore PC gamers so I'm not going to convince them to buy Windows 10 just so they can buy Sea of Thieves.

I'll add you tonight.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Popete posted:

I roleplay as a pirate who is confused why there are no merchant ships to steal cargo from and the sea is filled with only other pirates.

There will be player ships doing merchant routes at release FWIW

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

How big are the servers going to be on release though? Right now, I believe it's capped at 16 or 20, which is 4 - 5 galleons per map. Even if there's only two galleons, and the rest were duos, that'd be at most 8 ships per map. Given how big the world is, that's not exactly a lot of merchant activity.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Communist Q posted:

How big are the servers going to be on release though? Right now, I believe it's capped at 16 or 20, which is 4 - 5 galleons per map. Even if there's only two galleons, and the rest were duos, that'd be at most 8 ships per map. Given how big the world is, that's not exactly a lot of merchant activity.

Yeah I think they need to expand the number of ships. It’s a weird balancing act though. If it’s two densely populated you’ll never get any quests done.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Game... Fun??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Q posted:

Ehud posted:

Yeah I think they need to expand the number of ships. It’s a weird balancing act though. If it’s two densely populated you’ll never get any quests done.

yeah, that's not really a bad thing, IMO, these kinds of games thrive on pve interrupted by pvp, not the other way around.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

My friends and I played it for several hours the past two nights. While we actively kept an eye out for pvp, we only ever managed to get in two real fights, and probably ran into at most 1 or rarely 2 ships in an hour. While we had a lot of fun sailing around collecting chests, the world felt extremely barren overall.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I have enjoyed my time in beta but really a sailing sim is all i needed so i am admittedly the lowest common denominator here

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Feel free to use this REAL LIFE RAW GAMEPLAY in the OP, or just laugh at how terrible this pubbie crew were:

https://clips.twitch.tv/MildFantasticRuffTinyFace

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The SBMM in this game is too harsh - I'm getting fuckin wrecked by sharks every time I do my morning swim

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I just spent 45 minutes on a 1v1 that ended with me firing myself out of a cannon onto the other player's ship, jumping overboard, dying in an underwater shootout, and then respawning to them being eaten by sharks.

Then their ship sunk since they didn't repair it in the chaos.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Kind of torn on the game. As others have mentioned, it's not solo player friendly. The sailing/core mechanics are solid. Game is beautiful. Huge "wow" factor in even the first 15 minutes of playing. Big fan of the equal playing field between experienced players and new players.

That said, there's a bit too little in this sandbox. Game would probably benefit from some type of resource gathering/building component.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

The SBMM in this game is too harsh - I'm getting fuckin wrecked by sharks every time I do my morning swim

Swim faster

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Good drat this game owns.
Was playing with three friends sailing around collecting chests. We had 6 in our possession when we came upon a two man sloop and decided to get frisky. We easily sank them and stole their loot then continued onwards. High on our victory and full of bloodlust we saw another sloop and decided to ram it.
We killed the guys on it, grabbed their two chests and brought them back to our galleon. As we're raising the anchor and planning our route we notice we're sinking rapidly. No one had thought to check for damage to our hull and the ship went down with 9 chests on board.

But then somehow one guy managed to stay alive with multiple sharks in the water and kept the chests from sinking to the bottom. In the meantime me and one other (fourth guy DC'd) spawned at a nearby island with a fresh ship and decided "we're saving these drat chests!". We sailed two islands over by our lonesome navigating by the flock of seagulls above the wreckage and then the light of our friend's lantern. In the end we managed to get every single chest back on deck and loving hightailed it to the nearest outpost. :pirate:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Guns fire underwater, don't take no poo poo from sharks, hope this helps.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuasiQuack posted:

Good drat this game owns.
Was playing with three friends sailing around collecting chests. We had 6 in our possession when we came upon a two man sloop and decided to get frisky. We easily sank them and stole their loot then continued onwards. High on our victory and full of bloodlust we saw another sloop and decided to ram it.
We killed the guys on it, grabbed their two chests and brought them back to our galleon. As we're raising the anchor and planning our route we notice we're sinking rapidly. No one had thought to check for damage to our hull and the ship went down with 9 chests on board.

But then somehow one guy managed to stay alive with multiple sharks in the water and kept the chests from sinking to the bottom. In the meantime me and one other (fourth guy DC'd) spawned at a nearby island with a fresh ship and decided "we're saving these drat chests!". We sailed two islands over by our lonesome navigating by the flock of seagulls above the wreckage and then the light of our friend's lantern. In the end we managed to get every single chest back on deck and loving hightailed it to the nearest outpost. :pirate:

drat I haven't heard after action reports like this since the world war 2 online beta. Good job me mateys

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Not my work, but somebody on reddit datamined the client. Interesting read if you're in my boat; interested but skeptical of lacking content. Not going to do tags or spoilers, so keep scrolling if knowing what type of grub you can eat on the high seas is a problem?

Chests:

Chest of Sorrow
Common Chest
Drunken Chest
Legendary Chest
Mythical Chest
Rare Chest
Shipwreck Common Chest
Shipwreck Legendary Chest
Shipwreck Mythical Chest
Shipwreck Rate Chest

Companies:

Gold Hoarders
Merchant Alliance
Order of Souls

Creatures:

Bat
Chicken
Fish
Parrot
Pig
Seagull
Shark
Snake

Enemies:

Kraken - (ship wrapping tentacles)
Mermaids
Skellies

Food:

Coconut
Pineapple
Pomegranate
Rum

Maps:

Blue Sea of Plenty
Sea of the Damned (no other references?)
The WildsWide Sea of Plunder

Landmark Locations:

Blue Sea of Plenty:

Crescent Cove
Crescent Island
Lone Cove
Mermaids Hideaway
Sailors Bounty
Smugglers Bay
Wanderers Archipelago

The Wilds:

Arches
Cavern Isle
Old Faithful
Shipwreck Bay
Three Peaks

Wide Sea of Plunder:

Crooks Hollow
Devils Ridge
Discovery Ridge
Plunder Valley
Sharkbait Cove
Snake Island
Thieves Haven

NPCs:

Belle
Blind Bob
Bounty Dealer
Clothing Dealer
Generic Shopkeeper
Ghost Captain
Gold Hoarder
Innkeeper
Innkeeper_hideout
Merchant
Nice
Mermaid
Order of Souls
Pirate Lord
Potion Seller
Shipwright
Weapon Dealer

Riddles:

BountyLocation
DigHole
LookAtMap
NonVagueNonUniqueLandmarks
PlayInstrument
RaiseLantern

Ship Customization:

Cannon
Capstan
Livery
Mast
Wheel

Ship Misc:

Harpoon Gun

Ship Figureheads:

Angler fish
Banjo
Dove
Dragon
Jdark (?)
Lion
Mermaid
Parrot
Poseidon
Shark
Skellylantern
Skull head
Spinal
Squid
Swordfish
Unicorn
Zeus

Ship Cargo:

Banana Crate
Cannonball Crate
Chicken Crate
Gunpowder Crate
Pig Container
Snake Basket
Wood Crate

Shops:

Clothing Shop
GH Company Equipment Shop
MA Company Equipment Shop
OOS Company Equipment Shop
Saltys Equipment Shop
Shadys Equipment Shop

Treasure Artifacts:

Box (3 variants)
Goblet (4 variants)
Impressive (3 Variants)
Vase (3 Variants)

Weapons:

Blunderbuss
Boarding Axe
Cutlass
Flintlock Pistol
Heavy Sword
Pistol
Rapier
Sniper Rile

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
drat if that is final game content it is as light as people were saying. Only 3 enemy types and 1 map (Sea of the Damned is the death loading map).

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Yep that's the biggest red flag for me.

I've just been watching on stream so far, but what's struck me is how empty they left the world during this build. It's good to see they're planning some npcs for the outposts and some aquatic life for when you take the plunge. The water looks amazing from underneath but it's a little odd how barren it can be down there. But the enemy types...they can't really be ok with launching the game with a grand total of one pve enemy.

They almost got me with the side meiers pirates nostalgia, but I'm not preordering anymore. I've been burned too many times by lovely half finished games. It'd be nice if this game comes through, I've already got three friends who have pre-ordered....but I'm not trying to drop sixty bucks on a game where I can either go dig up a chest, fight skeletons, or fight the small amount of ppl on each instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Popete posted:

drat if that is final game content it is as light as people were saying. Only 3 enemy types and 1 map (Sea of the Damned is the death loading map).

Yeah, this is worrying, I feel like the game will be dead soon after launch with such little content. I guess I'm waiting until there's more stuff released.