Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
so long magnus, you always tried real hard and were a pretty ice skater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
this will solve all of Ottawa's problems

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

4 points in 44 games, no wonder Boucher wanted him

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 26, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wasn't that a guy who posts here?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Jawknee, and the original quote was harsher than 'crappy'.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JoelJoel posted:

I really don't get buffalo. I haven't been following them closely enough for the last few years but on paper they seem to have a really solid core of young forwards, Lehner never seemed terrible to me, and I guess the d is pretty suspect, but I have a hard time figuring how their just loving awful this year.

I guess not a great d corps, not great depth, and unlucky at times... but still, 37 points in 49 games (and 31 in 46 before their little streak).

A perfect storm of unbelievably underperforming forwards, a defense corps that can't stay healthy and isn't even that good when they are healthy, and two extremely inconsistent goalies.

The last dozen or so games (excluding the Dallas game) they've been playing significantly better but still losing. Eichel has gotten over his early slump and is a PPG player right now. Kane was brilliant early on but is in a bit of a rut right now. They aren't getting much secondary scoring and it took like 40 games before a defenseman scored a goal.

These last three games have been an anomaly, as they are playing opposite to how they were earlier, for example Lehner is standing on his head, the D has been great and they are scoring tons of goals. I don't expect it to last but I won't complain if it does!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/status/956938224756076544

:lol:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

So was Rangers Sharks a fun game to watch or was it the gong show it looks like it was?

It was fun to watch the Ranger score but lovely to watch them gently caress up repeatedly and play stupid D

e: Hayes made a huge difference for the Rangers on offense but maybe the Sharks are just really poo poo defensively

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 26, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

bizarre deformity posted:

Wasn't that a guy who posts here?

Yes, he told us the story first

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes, he told us the story first

Like a year before the story was published even.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Paajarvi is an ideal 4th liner in today's NHL, so I'm sure Ottawa will be putting him on the 1st or 2nd line.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mike_V posted:

Paajarvi is an ideal 4th liner in today's NHL, so I'm sure Ottawa will be putting him on the 1st or 2nd line.

Ya, especially after they trade Hoffman or Stone for a marginal prospect and *squinting at the fine print of the completed trade* a "blurst" round pick in the 2091 draft

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

bizarre deformity posted:

A perfect storm of unbelievably underperforming forwards, a defense corps that can't stay healthy and isn't even that good when they are healthy, and two extremely inconsistent goalies.

The last dozen or so games (excluding the Dallas game) they've been playing significantly better but still losing. Eichel has gotten over his early slump and is a PPG player right now. Kane was brilliant early on but is in a bit of a rut right now. They aren't getting much secondary scoring and it took like 40 games before a defenseman scored a goal.

These last three games have been an anomaly, as they are playing opposite to how they were earlier, for example Lehner is standing on his head, the D has been great and they are scoring tons of goals. I don't expect it to last but I won't complain if it does!

I guess bogosian just died, so things probably going to not get better.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Furnaceface posted:

Also Duclair might be... okay?
It's more exciting when players only play one way.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Levitate posted:

It was fun to watch the Ranger score but lovely to watch them gently caress up repeatedly and play stupid D

e: Hayes made a huge difference for the Rangers on offense but maybe the Sharks are just really poo poo defensively

I think the Sharks are supposed to be pretty good defensively this year. Maybe it was just a bad game.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/kne_14/status/957001263027294209

Now..... if the Islanders got McDonagh.....They'd still be horrid on defense.

I'm not opposed to the Rangers selling wholesale. A rebuild done right has to be better than dragging a rotting roster out year after year with one more overpaid "missing piece" that will not help.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
they're for serious taking calls on Zucc? :stare:

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I think a rangers fire sale would be fine but it won't matter unless you also Fire av

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

He's 30 and I would guess this is as high as his value is going to be. If the team is trying to get younger, get picks, get prospects, it's not a terrible idea. I think his contract is up in 2019 so :shrug:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

JawKnee posted:

they're for serious taking calls on Zucc? :stare:

:mad:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Wee man should be kept and made captain because he's just the best. And would be a very nice break from boring as poo poo expressionless dullard run we've had since Drury.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Poor Hank

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
off-topic: why has no one drafted Brayden Burke?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Also off-topic, how does this man not have a job yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1umjn9m_Rc

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JawKnee posted:

Size and “character”

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Rangers should trade Lundqvist while he still has some value / do him a favor and get him to a contender. mostly joking

Similar to this person, I also initially thought the Preds game yesterday was a home game, but I didn't fly to Nashville for it https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/1/26/16935446/nashville-predators-fan-away-game-mistake-twitter

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*

Thufir posted:

Rangers should trade Lundqvist while he still has some value / do him a favor and get him to a contender. mostly joking

Similar to this person, I also initially thought the Preds game yesterday was a home game, but I didn't fly to Nashville for it https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/1/26/16935446/nashville-predators-fan-away-game-mistake-twitter

Even if he wanted to leave... is there any team out there that can shell out 8.5mil for the next 3 seasons for him? The Rangers would have to eat a lot of salary for that to work out

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

When he got traded from the Hurricanes last year the GM made some not so thinly veiled comments about him "not making good decisions away from the rink" and totally washed his hands of him. So basically he showed up to practice hungover a couple times like any teenager on earth and probably wasn't super apologetic and you know if you piss off one old white dude in hockey you're blacklisted by the rest for life.

Plus he's one of those good but not amazing junior players that isn't going to really translate to a scoring role in the NHL and he sure as hell isn't going to be a checker as a pro. He'll sign a PTO with an AHL team next year, but I imagine his career will shift overseas pretty quickly.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Angry Asian posted:

Even if he wanted to leave... is there any team out there that can shell out 8.5mil for the next 3 seasons for him? The Rangers would have to eat a lot of salary for that to work out

Probably not any team he would want to go to. Like, Buffalo?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While it sucks to see some favorite players on the trading block, it also helps that they have some younger players ready to step into their roles - Buchnevich for Zuccarello, and Skjei for McDonagh. Those are also two really good players with a year left on really cheap contracts, so they should fetch a huge return. Rumored returns are:

McDonagh: W. Nylander + 1st round pick + prospect
Zuccarello: ???
Nash: 1st round pick
Grabner: 1st round pick
Holden: 3rd or 4th round pick
Desharnais: 4th or 5th round pick

The thought of the Rangers potentially ending up with a top 15 pick and four more firsts is pretty good.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

You think the Leafs would deal Nylander, a first, and a prospect for Mac??

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I've seen that mentioned in a few places. BSB had this to say about it:

"Say the Rangers got William Nylander or Mitch Marner from the Maple Leafs along with a first- or second-round pick – they’re instantly adding a potentially elite-level forward and a high pick to help them in the draft. (Editor’s Note: Since this will probably cause a ton of strife from outside fans, I am basing the Leafs return for McDonagh on a loose package of what the Rangers gave for Yandle. I privately reached out to two respected Leafs writers about the above and both saw it as a fair ask)."

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/1/22/16905318/ryan-mcdonaghs-rumored-trade-is-the-most-important-event-in-jeff-gortons-tenure

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

....MacKinnon, right?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Rotten Cookies posted:

He's 30 and I would guess this is as high as his value is going to be. If the team is trying to get younger, get picks, get prospects, it's not a terrible idea. I think his contract is up in 2019 so :shrug:

Yeah basically if the view is that this team isn't going to take a step forward then it makes sense to sell on guys like Nash, Zucc, etc.

McDonagh...man I think they'll regret it if they trade him because he's severely underrated and it could be many many years until they find a defenseman as good as he is no matter how many draft picks they get, but they're also in a spot where he's up for a new contract and he's probably going to get $7 mill + or something on a contract that takes him to his mid 30's.

Zodijackylite posted:

While it sucks to see some favorite players on the trading block, it also helps that they have some younger players ready to step into their roles - Buchnevich for Zuccarello, and Skjei for McDonagh. Those are also two really good players with a year left on really cheap contracts, so they should fetch a huge return. Rumored returns are:

McDonagh: W. Nylander + 1st round pick + prospect
Zuccarello: ???
Nash: 1st round pick
Grabner: 1st round pick
Holden: 3rd or 4th round pick
Desharnais: 4th or 5th round pick

The thought of the Rangers potentially ending up with a top 15 pick and four more firsts is pretty good.

I think Buch can be better than Zucc eventually, but Skjei's never going to be as good as McDonagh IMO, and they don't exactly have any other real studs waiting to jump into the NHL. You might get an "OK trending towards blah" defense with guys like Graves and Pionk called up, maybe they take some steps in the NHL and improve, but no one that's going to jump in and be a go to guy back there.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think the asking price of a young and good forward, a high pick, and some prospect isn't crazy for McDonagh with a year left on his contract. Whether the Leafs would do that deal or Nylander is too much of a good young forward is up for debate

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

nylander is way further along than duclair was... it's a fair asking price but i don't think it's a fair trade

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

That seems like a lot for a 30 year-old, even if he is precisely what they need, but who knows. The Leafs have two other elite young forwards aside from Nylander, but they might want to deal JVR/Kadri instead.

If Nylander went the other way, I'd be surprised if it wasn't straight-up, considering Nylander's age.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

if they traded him this year he'd be 29 when next season started, not 30. For what it's worth...but I think a big part might rest on whether the Leafs think they could make the jump to a contender in the next year by acquiring him and maybe some other pieces, if the price is right.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

I think Buch can be better than Zucc eventually, but Skjei's never going to be as good as McDonagh IMO, and they don't exactly have any other real studs waiting to jump into the NHL. You might get an "OK trending towards blah" defense with guys like Graves and Pionk called up, maybe they take some steps in the NHL and improve, but no one that's going to jump in and be a go to guy back there.

I agree on that, Skjei isn't going to be McDonagh, even though he's really good. Buchnevich is on pace for 52 points while getting the least ES ice time, <12m/game, of any regular player other than Carey and Nieves. He also boasts the lowest goals-against/60 other than Staal (!) and Nieves.

I'm pretty apprehensive towards pretty much all of the Rangers defensive futures - I don't think there's a first pairing guy in the system. They have a lot of RHD with offensive potential, but as we've seen with Shattenkirk, these guys thrive when they're not on the first pairing. Shattenkirk anchors the second pair, DeAngelo or Pionk ends up on the third pair, but I'm not sure there's room for all three of them on the roster, unless Tony D makes some magic with Skjei on a top pairing. Beyond that, Sproul has a bit of NHL experience but seems to be replacement level.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
If NYR dealt those guys, would they be the first team to engage in the kind of pragmatic rebuild (ditching your mid-age guys before their salary outweighs their worth and because they’ll be older/beat up by the time the team is actually competitive) that only exists in theoretical discussions? It’s kind of interesting because more teams could do this but it basically never happens, largely because GMs remain convinced they’re one piece away or because they don’t want to risk pissing off the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Buchnevich seems severely underplayed and I'm sure I'm gonna regret putting him on waivers in a keeper league.

• Locked thread