Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

larchesdanrew posted:

*Presidentish

That is a t sir and the presidentish will not listen to your slander. Wait. Crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

dogstile posted:

I'm only 24 and every time I feel bad about how life is going I type that out, because despite me dropping out of uni and failing a ton of classes, i'm still doing pretty well in the grand scheme of things.

A lot of happiness is about having that perspective, but also having the confidence (and ability!) to change the situation if the one you're in doesn't make you happy.

Ataxerxes posted:

My friend did this two years ago. 10 years in the restaurant business, started studying computer science at the university here and got his first job in a rather prominent game company in about 7 months later. Having been an assistant manager of a restaurant, a bouncer and I don't even know what else gave him lots of skills in dealing with people that CS students don't usually have, at least not freshmen.

This is pretty much me, down to the "rather prominent game company", except I did a stint at a physics institute in between and my background before that was "I've done all the jobs that you can think of in a public library".

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You also work at a game company?

If you don't mind, would you be willing to share some policies you have going on, with regards such as running games on each employee's workstation and public game rooms?
I'd love to get a better perspective and more best practices, specifically for game companies.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sefal posted:

If you don't mind, would you be willing to share some policies you have going on, with regards such as running games on each employee's workstation and public game rooms?
I'd love to get a better perspective and more best practices, specifically for game companies.

But please don't move it to PMs? I don't work in the game industry, but I would find it really fascinating.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm the dollar signs in his eyes

I'm Ronald Reugain.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Anyone have suggestions for a ticketing system?
Small business (100 employees, 1.5 IT people) not looking to break the bank.
The only requirements are
1) Able to use AD accounts for user login.
2) Customizable ticket entry forms (I.e. trouble ticket, new hire request, etc.).
3) Can be forced to use HTTPS exclusively.
4) Not be absolute poo poo to setup and maintain.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I hear request tracker isn't garbage anymore these days, and I know that has an LDAP plugin. Probably can get it to work with SSO fairly easily, even.

Jira helpdesk is also a thing, but that gets expensive if you need more than 3 helpdesk agents.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sefal posted:

I briefly worked at one and the general thing was you could have any game you wanted installed on your PC, so long as you were willing to interrupt it if you got suddenly called to do something and only played it at lunch/after work.

Sadly I didn't have the required skills to keep me there (feedback was that my scripting wasn't great, which was fair enough and that I didn't get along with the team, which was weird because it seemed to be going ok, maybe they just weren't willing to tell me).

*shrug* real shame, i liked the place. Did a bunch of extra work to try and get me up to speed on time but thems the breaks. Fuckers did remove me from the discord before I even got home and they've all removed me from everything, so maybe i am the unlikable dude.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheParadigm posted:

How did you doing that/ present the restaurant experience as job relevant?

This is me, please teach me your ways.

How is it working out for you in the long run?
I played up all of the things that working at a restaurant (and a little bit of retail) taught me that would benefit me in a support situation. I had worked at one place for 5 years, going from just a server, to server lead, to essentially-manager (it was family owned and I never had a title, but they were paying me more and giving me better "benefits" (no tipout, free meals, Christmas bonus; no actual benefits)). I keyed on the "handling difficult people" aspect, which someone in support needs to do, as well as eventually updating out computer system menu, taking large catering orders then delivering and setting them up, observational skills such as hearing an empty glass hit the table or someone slurp with a straw - I would show up with a refill without the guest needing to ask and I related that to being able to listen to what someone on the phone is saying and being able to interpret what they actually need (the X Y Problem), I explained that I had to learn new things on the fly every day or week as we did specials and the menus changed, how I had regular customers who always would ask for my table, and so on.

When I went for the QA job I had become master of my domain in support - they had steadfastedly refused to promote me to Level 2 because I was on a team of 4 that already had two Level 2s despite the fact that I did more work than those level 2s added together. I taught myself AutoHotKey to essentially automate half of my job, I built bridges to other teams to fix endemic problems with how "silo'd" the company was (everything was getting thrown over the fence by everyone), and always found the root of problems rather than just fixing the caller's problems (because I knew our proprietary software so well). I knew a lot of people who vouched for me or spoke well of me because I had done so much to fix problems/resolve issues.

I could get more wordy but I dont want to poo poo up the thread too much.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gerdalti posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a ticketing system?
Small business (100 employees, 1.5 IT people) not looking to break the bank.
The only requirements are
1) Able to use AD accounts for user login.
2) Customizable ticket entry forms (I.e. trouble ticket, new hire request, etc.).
3) Can be forced to use HTTPS exclusively.
4) Not be absolute poo poo to setup and maintain.

Freshdesk isn't awful

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I used freshdesk at a prior job and it will do what you need. Has a mobile app too so you can get mad at users on the go.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thanks Ants posted:

Freshdesk isn't awful

Freshdesk also likes not converting emails into tickets, so will want someone to keep an eye on the mailbox from time to time to make sure everything gets addressed.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Checking out Freshdesk. Seems ok, going to play with SSO and see how easy that is.
Thanks all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There is a new condo building across from the main office, and one of the new wifi networks broadcasting is called "sendnudes". Now HR is throwing a huge fuckoff fit telling us we need to block all equipment from seeing this SSID.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

GreenNight posted:

There is a new condo building across from the main office, and one of the new wifi networks broadcasting is called "sendnudes". Now HR is throwing a huge fuckoff fit telling us we need to block all equipment from seeing this SSID.

Have you tried sending nudes?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Malek posted:

Have you tried sending nudes?

WPA2.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GreenNight posted:

I don't know how possible that is but it seems very much like yelling at the cleaner to fix the awful stench in the building when a cannery opens next door.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

Checking out Freshdesk. Seems ok, going to play with SSO and see how easy that is.
Thanks all.

I did sso for our Gmail domain and freshdesk and I'm an idiot. If I can do it so can you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't know how possible that is but it seems very much like yelling at the cleaner to fix the awful stench in the building when a cannery opens next door.

Yeah exactly. My boss is told me to ignore the emails, he'll deal with it. It's just hilarious.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Install RF blocking wire mesh in all outside walls facing the offender.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sheep posted:

I did sso for our Gmail domain and freshdesk and I'm an idiot. If I can do it so can you.

I might be a bigger idiot. I'm getting "can not log into freshdesk" trying to use their asp SSO setup.
Maybe it's time to stand up my AD FS farm or something.

Or maybe this is a sign that I should be in read only Friday mode and deal with this next week.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it even possible to block devices from seeing an SSID?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

GreenNight posted:

Build a giant faraday cage.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah disable wifi, problem solved.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Methanar posted:

Build a giant faraday cage.
Watching HR try to justify this might be worth the effort of running up a quick cost estimate.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GreenNight posted:

Yeah exactly. My boss is told me to ignore the emails, he'll deal with it. It's just hilarious.

Do HR have any windows in their office? You should see if you can buy space on a billboard they can see and put up a huge poster that just says SEND NUDES black on white in 8 foot tall letters.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Do HR have any windows in their office? You should see if you can buy space on a billboard they can see and put up a huge poster that just says SEND NUDES black on white in 8 foot tall letters.

All of the HR offices face our courtyard so eh. Waiting for a legit nasty language SSID to appear.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Just set up a new SSID titled "Have nudes, contact [company]" and see if they bite :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Who was it that was considering taking a counteroffer? https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7s69tb/ma_wife_turned_down_another_job_because_her/

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Wow that's some next level garbage....

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

GreenNight posted:

All of the HR offices face our courtyard so eh.

Skywriting it is then :homebrew:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Skywriting it is then :homebrew:

Hire a dirigible. Or droneswarm each carrying one letter of a sign.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

18 Character Limit posted:

Hire a dirigible. Or droneswarm each carrying one letter of a sign.

Or just hire a dildo drone.

Yes they are real and no don't search for that at work.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zil posted:

Dildrone?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Zil posted:

I'm available for red team testing against faraday-caged buildings with SSID-broadcasting dildrones.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dilzdrone.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLts-sXlLEM&t=36s

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 26, 2018

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zil posted:

Oh, very real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnySBqioB0

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

dogstile posted:

I briefly worked at one and the general thing was you could have any game you wanted installed on your PC, so long as you were willing to interrupt it if you got suddenly called to do something and only played it at lunch/after work.

Sadly I didn't have the required skills to keep me there (feedback was that my scripting wasn't great, which was fair enough and that I didn't get along with the team, which was weird because it seemed to be going ok, maybe they just weren't willing to tell me).

*shrug* real shame, i liked the place. Did a bunch of extra work to try and get me up to speed on time but thems the breaks. Fuckers did remove me from the discord before I even got home and they've all removed me from everything, so maybe i am the unlikable dude.

I am in no way calling you out or suggesting anything, but I have seen things like this happen to "the stinky guy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yes, by showing that you are considering another job, you've demonstrated to management that you aren't 'loyal' to the company and will be the first on the chopping block. I know the opposite is true (you could have just left) but that's not how management will treat it, and as soon as they can find someone to replace you at your original salary (or less) they will.

Severance would be a good stopper for that, but good luck getting it in a non-management or non-union position.