Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Am also in SE Wisconsin, would be interested if I too weren't goonshaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

mekilljoydammit posted:

Of course, the big problem is that I don't think NASA's tech inspectors are going to be willing to go to the same lengths as SCCA's Runoffs level tech inspectors, so maybe we will see a whole bunch of money spent on cheating.

I'm not sure what you are basing that on. X had the heads off every car in SM impound.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I think that depends if you get protested. When the top 10 SM cars had the heads off it was because someone had the money to protest all of them. The only time I was written up for non compliance was when I went over the scales 15lbs too light in my Formula 500 car with no way to add ballast. I think that was just from having to teach a novice a lesson since I was the only F5 out there.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It doesn't, at nationals (and local races, but not to the same extent) there are a pre-set list of things that they plan on checking at impound. If you podium it's very likely you'll be towing your car to the trailer with a bunch of parts in a box.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Apparently they are building this track near Phoenix.

Looks pretty sketchy... definitely will be no motorcycles there, judging by the runoff being paved.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's the one going in nearish Casa Grande, right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Indeed, indeed. Not too far from WHP.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Finally got a GoPro, now to figure out how to cut out the wind noise.

Anyhow, I ran with NASA for the first time this past weekend at WHP West CCW -- dropped into HPDE3. Had great fun with a Porsche Cayman for about ten minutes, he was following pretty much the whole time once we get past the Camaro Z28 at ~5m. I let him come by later on because I was worried I was holding him up, then he lets me back by a couple minutes later and sticks with me. I'll be going to Chuckwalla with NASA next month, great bunch of dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edit

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your video link pasted wrong.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You need a Lavalier mic - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HJ9PTO
and a Donald Trump Wig - https://www.amazon.com/Movo-WS2-Microphone-Windscreen-Microphones/dp/B00HX40OXY
and a 3.5mm to USB-Mini adaptor

and a skeleton case on the GoPro/or a case with an opening for the USB-Mini connector, and then you'll be wind-noise free, you can even use painters tape to affix to your back bumper for maximum car sound.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How is the NASA AZ scene Black MK4? Fiancé and I were slightly enamored with it when we visited her god parents. Well more enamored with the cost of living compared to NJ outside of NYC, and my one gripe was my car racing. NASA northeast runs at some pretty awesome tracks.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

How is the NASA AZ scene Black MK4? Fiancé and I were slightly enamored with it when we visited her god parents. Well more enamored with the cost of living compared to NJ outside of NYC, and my one gripe was my car racing. NASA northeast runs at some pretty awesome tracks.

We had the same reaction.

From what I can tell, it's just a reversed season, with obviously fewer tracks available. Only SoCal can outdo our current location.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Your video link pasted wrong.

derp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqAxGkB8-vA

Ether Frenzy posted:

You need a Lavalier mic - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HJ9PTO
and a Donald Trump Wig - https://www.amazon.com/Movo-WS2-Microphone-Windscreen-Microphones/dp/B00HX40OXY
and a 3.5mm to USB-Mini adaptor

and a skeleton case on the GoPro/or a case with an opening for the USB-Mini connector, and then you'll be wind-noise free, you can even use painters tape to affix to your back bumper for maximum car sound.

poo poo, I guess I also need a full GoPro, not just a Session. Thanks :)

KidDynamite posted:

Blaise posted:

We had the same reaction.

From what I can tell, it's just a reversed season, with obviously fewer tracks available. Only SoCal can outdo our current location.
I will know more soon, I've been running ProAutosports, Musselman Honda Circuit, Chuckwalla Valley Raceway hosted, and Speedventures events up until now.
PAS is a shitshow, MHC is a really fun kart track in Tucson, and Speedventures runs Cali tracks. Speedventures is somewhere in the middle of PAS and NASA, but they run the Maxxis S2K Challenge with contingency, which is nice. Chuckwalla hosts their own events and very few people turn up. It's basically 20-30 minute sessions each hour with 10-15 cars on track for $180 or so.

We have a fair amount of tracks within driving distance:
Arizona Motorsports Park
Wild Horse Pass West, East, Main, Mondo, etc
Inde Motorsports Ranch
Chuckwalla Valley Raceway
Arroyo Seco Raceway
Musselman Honda Circuit

and, of course, Willow Springs / Autoclub Speedway / etc if you don't mind the drive.

The talent pool isn't as deep as California, obviously. NASA AZ has a time attack group open to DE3/4 that is more lax safety / classing wise, in addition to the usual TT, which is pretty cool. I'll give it a shot later this year.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 30, 2018

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Realized from (some of) the responses I got that I shouldn't have been asking silly trackday questions in the general chat thread. (Thanks Wrar) I'll try here and actually cover everything.

Situation is, I've been doing trackdays off and on for over a decade; almost always with my daily driver and almost always with the minimum safety equipment required by the club and minimum modifications required to make the car sustain track usage. My situation has stabilized a bit more now and I'm looking at attending NASA HPDE events regularly at VIR, Summit Point, and possibly AMP. My DD is a completely-stock 135is.

I've got a Bell Snell2015 helmet and some Sparco shoes. I'm looking at getting a lot more person safety equipment this season - suit, fire-resistant gloves, under-suit wear, HANS, etc. Any suggestions on price and performance ratios equipment for a 5'11" chubby dude with a big chest?

As for the vehicle, I've heard tales of limp mode being activated by high oil temps. If my first event shows that, I'll get an add-on oil cooler, but in the meantime I'm looking at wheels, tires, and brakes. After consideration of the cost I won't be running a square setup, so unless someone has a better suggestion I'll be going with Apex ARC-8 wheels. I was thinking Nitto NT01 tires, and Hawk Blue pads on Centric blanks.

Suggestions? Comments?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 30, 2018

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Not sure of pad availability... on the MX-5, I'm liking DTC-60 front, DTC-30 rear. Blue is a pretty old compound and there's better stuff out there - more modern compounds tend to be more consistent at different temperatures, for example. Heard good things about Performance Friction 01/11 too but haven't used it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A hans is a nice thing to have for track days, BUT, generally you need a set of harnesses to hold them in place. And then you need a roll bar to hold the harnesses in place. And a racing seat to hold you in place and work with the harnesses. At that point you don't really want/need the airbags in there anymore either.

So if this is your stock daily driver going that far doesn't seem like the right plan. However, the suit, gloves, etc is not a bad idea.

For pads, skip the hawk blues, that's a very old pad now. The DTC 60 would be a much better choice. Or ferodo ds1.11 or ds3500.

Additionally, an NT01 is a lot of tire for stock suspension. You're going to get a lot of body roll and I think would have trouble keeping temps even across the tread.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

jamal posted:

A hans is a nice thing to have for track days, BUT, generally you need a set of harnesses to hold them in place. And then you need a roll bar to hold the harnesses in place. And a racing seat to hold you in place and work with the harnesses. At that point you don't really want/need the airbags in there anymore either.

So if this is your stock daily driver going that far doesn't seem like the right plan. However, the suit, gloves, etc is not a bad idea.

For pads, skip the hawk blues, that's a very old pad now. The DTC 60 would be a much better choice. Or ferodo ds1.11 or ds3500.

Additionally, an NT01 is a lot of tire for stock suspension. You're going to get a lot of body roll and I think would have trouble keeping temps even across the tread.

What's above MPSS but below NT01? This is a pretty heavy car for the package size, at 3400 lbs. EDIT: I mention weight because I've already gone with MPSS and RE050s.

I'll get some DTC60s, I was going to run them on my FiST before I decided to sell it.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 30, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Something like an RT615K+, RS4, etc.
Rival S 1.5 and RE71R have more grip than something like an RC1/RA1/R888/etc but die quick and don't handle heat.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I assume drive to the track and drive home?

Will your car accept a hitch for one of those tiny tire trailers? Most people I know who drive their track car to and from wind up towing their tires and a small tool box with a jack, stands, electric impact, and spare brakes and fluids. Not required day one purchase but may affect it's long term suitability for a double duty track car.

N+1 to Hans needs a harness, harness needs seats and a roll bar.

Oil cooler would probably be a long term help. IDK how your car is setup but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a heat exchanger tying oil and coolant temps together. If it does you'll see lower coolant and oil temps with a dedicated oil cooler. Do you have any way to monitor oil and coolant temps? Even one of those obd2 dongles that talks to your phone would let you know peak temps without any real modifications or large expense.

Firesuit and other gear vs price I can't be much help. What I can say is gforce stuff was very cheap when I needed to do fueling for amateur endurance racing. It sucked. All the time. Heavy stiff and hot. I never caught on fire though so it just sucked all the time. Maybe it was awesome, I'll never know.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

What's a good brake fluid in TYOOL 2018 for a heavy car, street tires, and not wanting to constantly fiddle with maintenance? I expect to do a few track days a year in my stock Chevy SS and don't plan on pushing too hard, but figure new fluid is a good idea.

Also, registered for SCCA Track Night at Auto Club Speedway on the infield course on 2/24.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

The Prong Song posted:

Suggestions? Comments?

Run with THSCC @ VIR. You'll get more track time and the event is far more focused on HPDE than NASA. I say this as a NASA racer.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Prong Song posted:

Realized from (some of) the responses I got that I shouldn't have been asking silly trackday questions in the general chat thread. (Thanks Wrar) I'll try here and actually cover everything.

Situation is, I've been doing trackdays off and on for over a decade; almost always with my daily driver and almost always with the minimum safety equipment required by the club and minimum modifications required to make the car sustain track usage. My situation has stabilized a bit more now and I'm looking at attending NASA HPDE events regularly at VIR, Summit Point, and possibly AMP. My DD is a completely-stock 135is.

I've got a Bell Snell2015 helmet and some Sparco shoes. I'm looking at getting a lot more person safety equipment this season - suit, fire-resistant gloves, under-suit wear, HANS, etc. Any suggestions on price and performance ratios equipment for a 5'11" chubby dude with a big chest?

As for the vehicle, I've heard tales of limp mode being activated by high oil temps. If my first event shows that, I'll get an add-on oil cooler, but in the meantime I'm looking at wheels, tires, and brakes. After consideration of the cost I won't be running a square setup, so unless someone has a better suggestion I'll be going with Apex ARC-8 wheels. I was thinking Nitto NT01 tires, and Hawk Blue pads on Centric blanks.

Suggestions? Comments?

Does the car have a harness? There’s no point getting a HANS if it doesn’t, but there’s a Simpson FIA-rated equivalent that is certified for use with three-point seatbelts: http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-fia-hybrid-head-and-neck-restraint (the non-FIA one is half the price but not certified for three-point belts)

I’ve used them at a couple of events (Ford and GM bought a whole load) and they’re pretty good. Pricey though!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

honda whisperer posted:

...Will your car accept a hitch for one of those tiny tire trailers? Most people I know who drive their track car to and from wind up towing their tires and a small tool box with a jack, stands, electric impact, and spare brakes and fluids.

...Oil cooler would probably be a long term help. IDK how your car is setup but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a heat exchanger tying oil and coolant temps together. If it does you'll see lower coolant and oil temps with a dedicated oil cooler. Do you have any way to monitor oil and coolant temps? Even one of those obd2 dongles that talks to your phone would let you know peak temps without any real modifications or large expense...
I would be using those wheels/tires and brakes only at the track; swapping out when I get there and then again when I leave. I've got someone who can help me haul everything in and out, but I was still considering one of those tire + toolbox hitches - I've always brought at least some tools, seats, a tent, etc. to trackdays. I've got an OBD2 monitor which I tie into my phone and use already, have done for a while.

FatCow posted:

Run with THSCC @ VIR. You'll get more track time and the event is far more focused on HPDE than NASA. I say this as a NASA racer.

I think you might have mentioned this in the short time you and I chatted at Hyperfest 2016. I'll check them out.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

The Prong Song posted:

My DD is a completely-stock 135is.

I have a lot of experience doing track prep for these cars. Cooking the front rotors is a real concern because they are too small for a 3300lb car. You need brake ducts to keep them from overheating, I use a plasma cutter or a 2.0" hole saw to cut through the backing plate and TIG on a 2.0" 0.063 wall tube to attach the cooling ducts too. Be sure to check your steering lock to lock to make sure the hose routing is good. EBC bluestuff will work great if you can keep them cool.

Regarding engine cooling, you'll be totally fine if you install a JB4 and meth.

Suspension wise, OEM is pretty great, but I always have issues with the rear differential mounts unless they're OEM or the turner aluminum/delrin.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

TWSS posted:

I have a lot of experience doing track prep for these cars. Cooking the front rotors is a real concern because they are too small for a 3300lb car. You need brake ducts to keep them from overheating, I use a plasma cutter or a 2.0" hole saw to cut through the backing plate and TIG on a 2.0" 0.063 wall tube to attach the cooling ducts too. Be sure to check your steering lock to lock to make sure the hose routing is good. EBC bluestuff will work great if you can keep them cool.

Regarding engine cooling, you'll be totally fine if you install a JB4 and meth.

Suspension wise, OEM is pretty great, but I always have issues with the rear differential mounts unless they're OEM or the turner aluminum/delrin.

That's the most definitive and helpful info I've been able to find on track-prepping the 1er(thank you), and frankly, isn't that comforting.

What's your experience with over/understeer being corrected by wheels/tires, and what's your experience with clearance? From what I've been able to find, which isn't a whole lot, 18x8.5 inch wheels with ET45 up front with a 3mm spacer and 18x9.5 ET62 rears with caster/camber plates and aggressive alignment fits the largest non-extreme non-square setup, but requires rolling the fender. I was looking at the Evo Raceworks oil cooler and brake ducting for the car, but if I combine that with wheels and tires, front fender rolling, JB4 tuner and Meth injection kit, diff mounts, and possibly swapping out the diff for an LSD down the road the cost is close enough to option #2 that it almost makes no difference, financially.

Option #2 is "always the answer" - leave the 1er as a DD, buy a track-only Miata for relatively cheap, track-prep it immediately and slowly add to it over the next few years to eventually move to SM.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Dedicated weekend/track car is the answer if you have space to park/store it. You'll spend thousands going down the rabbit hole of prepping your 1 series and you can likely find a track-prepped miata / e36 / civic / etc for not much more than the cost of an LSD.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
...and then you've ruined your resale value. You don't need all that power and poo poo, get something simple that has a factory LSD.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've tracked a daily driver and daily drove a track car...neither are fun after a while. If you have the space, at home or at a storage unit, I highly recommend the dedicated track car route. Fully Spec e30/36/e46/miata car can be had for very little and most of them will be much cheaper on consumables to run. An additional huge upside to this is a full cage, solid race seats and a harness which lets you use a HANS/NEXGEN/etc. I personally won't get on track without that stuff anymore.

Hell if you like the 1 series chassis there's got to be a few track cars available.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've tracked a daily driver and daily drove a track car...neither are fun after a while. If you have the space, at home or at a storage unit, I highly recommend the dedicated track car route. Fully Spec e30/36/e46/miata car can be had for very little and most of them will be much cheaper on consumables to run. An additional huge upside to this is a full cage, solid race seats and a harness which lets you use a HANS/NEXGEN/etc. I personally won't get on track without that stuff anymore.

Hell if you like the 1 series chassis there's got to be a few track cars available.

What was your main gripe with tracking a daily driver?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's a compromise.

You end up needing a second set of wheels because tires do noticeably fall off when you street drive them (and that poo poo is expensive when they last 5 days as-is)
You end up needing to prep / de-prep the car every event -- swapping pads and maybe rotors, depending on the compounds you're using and the fucks you give
You need to worry about being able to drive the car to work Monday
You're limited safety wise as you can't just add a roll bar, cage, or fixed back seat to a street car safely

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 31, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"Hope I can make it home in one piece/into work on Monday"

Gets old real quick.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Gets old real quick.

I've never gone to an event more dangerous than an open-lot AutoX without track insurance. I'll stop buying it when ^^ is no longer a concern.

EDIT: I am now finding all the cheap, relatively-unmodified Miatas for sale in a 100 mile radius. The missus has signed off on it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^^ You'll want one already track prepped. The costs add up QUICK and don't reflect upon resale. Example:

500-800 Rollbar
500-1000 Race seats (you'll need 2)
300-500 6pt harness (you'll need 2)
250+ removable wheel
500-1000 Wheels, Tires
3-500 Pads, rotors, fluid, SS lines

Then you'll want some basic suspension work (shocks, springs, sway bar, ELBJ)....

Phone posted:

Gets old real quick.

Exactly. One breakdown, one wreck.... and you'll wish you had a dedicated track car.

Even if you never have an incident or breakdown, you'll be compromising on brakes and tires - or you'll be swapping both.
And even if you do that, you'll be compromising on seat, harness, etc.

I may have to sell my track-prepped miata soon. You'll laugh when you see how cheap it'll go for.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You gun be real frustrated with a Miata, unless you're planning on actually racing it and live in an area with a decent Miata crowd.

But hey, I'm sure many people will disagree with this.

edit: Agreed with the above. I bought my S2000 for about $12k and it came with $$$ Penske double adjustables, $$$ Karcepts swaybars, and a bunch of other little things. I'm $20k deep in it now and it's just a pretty basic track car.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 31, 2018

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

You gun be real frustrated with a Miata, unless you're planning on actually racing it and live in an area with a decent Miata crowd.

But hey, I'm sure many people will disagree with this.

Yeah, I'll disagree. I nearly rearended a Z06 in my stock 1.6 going onto the front straight at NJMP. I did half a day in DE1 before being bumped, 16 days in DE2, and then 4 in DE3 my first season with NASA NE/MA.

I've passed Vipers, 911s... all with 100whp. The miata is only frustrating if you're in an organization where folks aren't aware of what a pointby is. With a good org like NASA, it won't be an issue.

I completely and wholeheartedly recommend a miata to everyone as a learning tool. The acquisition cost is low, running cost is hilariously low, and at the end of the day the lack of power makes for a better learning tool.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 31, 2018

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I guess this is the best place to ask, but I'm looking for the best rallycross tire in near stock size (185-60-14) for my Stock-4WD class 323 GTX. I've seen the General Altimaxx Arctic mentioned as the one of the best options, really just looking for the best place to buy them. I'm in sandy (DG soil) with little actual gravel content, and would like some streetability since there's lots of well groomed dirt roads around. I'm in sunny California in the coastal mountains so they'll never see ice or snow, or likely even sub 50degF pavement.

Also, what is a decent street/track tire for a 15x6" wheel? I have 195 tires on there looking pretty square, so probably 195/55 or 205/50? They're 2002-sih Lancer OZ wheels. Last time I looked was before the UTQG 200-treadwear wars!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Blaise posted:

Yeah, I'll disagree. I nearly rearended a Z06 in my stock 1.6 going onto the front straight at NJMP.

I've passed Vipers, 911s... all with 100whp. The miata is only frustrating if you're in an organization where folks aren't aware of what a pointby is. With a good org like NASA, it won't be an issue.

I completely and wholeheartedly recommend a miata to everyone as a learning tool. The acquisition cost is low, running cost is hilariously low, and at the end of the day the lack of power makes for a better learning tool.

Yes, I know, and I agree with these things. It's still frustrating when you have some wanker in a 911TT that knows how to pin it down the straight but manages to hold you up in every corner. With a good org doesn't always happen, or at least it's not nearly the norm around here. The norm here is lovely grouping with good drivers in slower cars, and lovely drivers in fast cars.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 31, 2018

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Additional thought on Miatas - I'd try to find a used Spec Miata - it'll be a basically competent setup that you can probably get more at resale than "randomly prepped car that fits no racing class"

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^ Good luck finding an SM with a non-poo poo cage that you can egress from for under $10k. I've tried. It's certainly an option if you get lucky. Also be aware that you'll need a 2nd seat, which some cages aren't setup for.

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes, I know, and I agree with these things. It's still frustrating when you have some wanker in a 911TT that knows how to pin it down the straight but manages to hold you up in every corner. With a good org doesn't always happen, or at least it's not nearly the norm around here.

Sounds like beginner group stuff. That was a problem in DE1, occasionally a problem in DE2, and never at all in DE3+. As you get to a more advanced group, people learn to watch their mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Blaise posted:

^ Good luck finding an SM with a non-poo poo cage that you can egress from for under $10k. I've tried. It's certainly an option if you get lucky. Also be aware that you'll need a 2nd seat, which some cages aren't setup for.

Sounds like beginner group stuff. That was a problem in DE1, occasionally a problem in DE2, and never at all in DE3+. As you get to a more advanced group, people learn to watch their mirrors.

You'll see me get held up a number of times in the video I posted above -- that was DE3.
The other org around here is much worse and I run the highest street car group.

All I'm saying is that, depending on the groups you run with, it can be a frustrating car. Other than that, they are great in pretty much every way.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 31, 2018