Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I dunno if it's just me, but I feel like the music doesn't really fit well with the scenes. There were several instances where I felt the music was oddly grandiose for very simple scenes. Just felt kinda awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, you're right. The visuals are impressive, but when it comes to actually creating a scene, I feel that other shows this season are more appealing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Chihara Minori singing unaccompanied is very good, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just started (vacation in Lanzarote region locked me) and five minutes in, after that puppy doll bit, I can already tell this show shouldn’t have been the one to hang the future of Netflix not doing their stupid Time Jail poo poo.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 20, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I wish all this animation talent was spent on a series I actually cared out.

Like people say Berserk can't be done hand-drawn because the pencil mileage is insane, but they're spending all this pencil mileage on this dang show.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'm so glad I have access to a Netflix account and all the resources of their professional translators. :rolleyes: The subtitles in that scene were so awkward that I didn't understand the situation until I read this thread.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was a beautiful episode.

They really highlighted Violet's earnest desire to grow and connect to people, even if she doesn't really understand that herself. Getting the pin felt like a major victory for her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, this episode really started to correct my problems with not really being able to connect to the show. First time the show's really delivered on its pitch of being a series of gorgeously rendered, mostly-stand alone short stories that help Violet work through her own feelings. Much more on board now than I was before.

I will say I hope not too many of these episodic characters are one and done. Luculia's really nice, it'd be a shame if this is all we see of her.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

violet's letter read like a suicide note

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

where the red fern gropes posted:

Luculia did seem p depressed. Maybe Violet is actually an emotional savant.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnacondaHL posted:

Luculia did seem p depressed. Maybe Violet is actually an emotional savant.

Well she was writing to her dead parents. I'd be pretty sad too if I were in that position.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

This episode was definitely more of what I was looking for in the show. Though I think having the context of the previous two eps makes this one work better so in retrospect I feel a bit better about those previous eps now as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah it was a sweet episode. The letter at the end... :unsmith:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

...Would be kinda hilarious (and fitting) if that's what the brother actually thought initially but I can't see that being the case.

Aug 24, 2011

Dessel posted:

...Would be kinda hilarious (and fitting) if that's what the brother actually thought initially but I can't see that being the case.

having his sister fall headfirst off the tower and splat next to him while he was reading the note would turn this show into a black comedy

i'm gradually understanding that it's not, but they could definitely have taken that route

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

having his sister fall headfirst off the tower and splat next to him while he was reading the note would turn this show into a black comedy
I actually kinda though he was gonna be the one to jump before Violet dropped by.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Luculia was super cute. I've been watching the Netflix dub because I've been doing other stuff while it's on - loving hell it's bad. It's partly the delivery, partly the translation. Everyone sounds incredibly awkward. It sort of works for Violet since she's meant to be a weirdo, but the other characters in this episode (especially the school mistress) were insanely bad.

Guess that's what I get for listening to a filthy dub.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 26, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Taichi Ishidate is a veteran animator for KyoAni, but the only full series he’s directed before this was Beyond the Boundary, and I remember folks’ complaints about that being pretty similar to their complaints about this.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This episode was better because someone actually told Violet straight that she did bad work.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

I wish all this animation talent was spent on a series I actually cared out.

Like people say Berserk can't be done hand-drawn because the pencil mileage is insane, but they're spending all this pencil mileage on this dang show.

see, if Netflix hands an actual good studio a shitzillion dollars to do a new Berserk anime, we'll probably get Violet Evergarden-level results, but... in the current situation, there's not really any reason for the studio doing Berserk to put that much effort in.

like, Berserk is one of the most popular manga in the West, but in Japan from what I'm aware it's a niche within a niche within another niche. it's directly anathema to almost every trend of modern anime and manga, it's an insanely long serialized story that started before a good chunk of the Japanese seinen manga audience was even born, its Western popularity gives it the stigma of being an "international" or "subculture" series, and its content makes it basically impossible to commercialize heavily without horrible backlash. from the perspective of Japanese producers, there's really not any reason to put a lot of money or effort into a Berserk series, because it's guaranteed to do lukewarm-at-best at home and the international audience is basically a black box in terms of what they like and don't like. Violet Evergarden, meanwhile, is Netflix going to a super renowned studio, handing them a whole shitload of money, and going "hey do whatever you want and we'll air it," basically.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
(I absolutely want an ultra-pretty berk anim too, but it is literally never going to happen until maybe like the series' 50th anniversary or something)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Netflix is just a distributor, they weren't involved in the conception of the project, and it's not even exclusive to streaming in Japan like devilman (which itself was a project started by aniplex and yuasa).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Netflix almost certainly isn't the reason Evergarden is a Prestige Animation - more likely Netflix made a point of securing exclusive rights to it precisely because Evergarden was already a prestige piece.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also I'm pretty sure that Berserk is pretty drat popular? Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you have to reach a pretty high stature for publications to deal with long hiatuses like Togashi and Miura rather than just cutting you.

e:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

It's right in the 30-50 million range with other lastingly popular stuff.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 26, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Motto posted:

Also I'm pretty sure that Berserk is pretty drat popular? Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure you have to reach a pretty high stature for publications to deal with long hiatuses like Togashi and Miura rather than just cutting you.

e:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

It's right in the 30-50 million range with other lastingly popular stuff.

Is that a worldwide figure, though, or within Japan? The impression I got was that Berserk was just kind of middlingly popular at best in Japan, but insanely popular in the rest of the world to the point where it made up for it. Like, here in the US, Berserk is one of the only series I've seen (outside of big 3 shonen, Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan and SAO) that's really managed to penetrate past anime fandom and get popular with normies, and loving flies off the shelves at brick and mortar stores that stock it (I'm less sure about online stores but I know my local Barnes & Noble literally can't keep Berserk volumes in stock).

e: yeah, that list uses worldwide figures. 30-50mil worldwide is pretty drat solid, but also doesn't really disprove what I'm saying- I'm pretty sure a lot of that number comes from the US, Latin America and Europe.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 26, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, to get distribution rights for something, you generally have to throw a huge-rear end chunk of money at the Japanese copyright owners (which in this case would be KyoAni as far as I know), so even if it's not quite the same situation as, say, Devilman Crybaby it's not exactly unreasonable to say that this series is being partly funded by netflix (I stand corrected on it being wholly funded by them however)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

For the sake of avoiding spoilers I'm not going to get into details, but going off of this guy's blog, almost everything we've seen of the show outside the core characters and basic premise so far has been anime-original, which I thought was rather interesting. I'll be curious to see how long we stay so far removed from the specific text of the original novel.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is that a worldwide figure, though, or within Japan? The impression I got was that Berserk was just kind of middlingly popular at best in Japan, but insanely popular in the rest of the world to the point where it made up for it. Like, here in the US, Berserk is one of the only series I've seen (outside of big 3 shonen, Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan and SAO) that's really managed to penetrate past anime fandom and get popular with normies, and loving flies off the shelves at brick and mortar stores that stock it (I'm less sure about online stores but I know my local Barnes & Noble literally can't keep Berserk volumes in stock).

e: yeah, that list uses worldwide figures. 30-50mil worldwide is pretty drat solid, but also doesn't really disprove what I'm saying- I'm pretty sure a lot of that number comes from the US, Latin America and Europe.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

In this July 2015 article, Berserk had 27 million copies in print in Japan and 8 million overseas. The latest Berserk volume sold over 170,000 copies in its first week, which looks a bit diminished when you compare it to the sales of its magazine compatriot, March Comes in Like a Lion, but I think that's still really good for a seinen series that has taken innumerable hiatuses over the years.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

see, if Netflix hands an actual good studio a shitzillion dollars to do a new Berserk anime, we'll probably get Violet Evergarden-level results, but... in the current situation, there's not really any reason for the studio doing Berserk to put that much effort in.

like, Berserk is one of the most popular manga in the West, but in Japan from what I'm aware it's a niche within a niche within another niche. it's directly anathema to almost every trend of modern anime and manga, it's an insanely long serialized story that started before a good chunk of the Japanese seinen manga audience was even born, its Western popularity gives it the stigma of being an "international" or "subculture" series, and its content makes it basically impossible to commercialize heavily without horrible backlash. from the perspective of Japanese producers, there's really not any reason to put a lot of money or effort into a Berserk series, because it's guaranteed to do lukewarm-at-best at home and the international audience is basically a black box in terms of what they like and don't like. Violet Evergarden, meanwhile, is Netflix going to a super renowned studio, handing them a whole shitload of money, and going "hey do whatever you want and we'll air it," basically.

berserk has had a heavy lasting creative influence to this day. the reason the berserk anime is bad is because its production was a disaster

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 26, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

berserk has had a heavy lasting creative influence to this day. the newest tales game took a visible amount of influence from it for its setting

Also :darksouls:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, Netflix almost certainly isn't the reason Evergarden is a Prestige Animation - more likely Netflix made a point of securing exclusive rights to it precisely because Evergarden was already a prestige piece.

They are from what I've heard. Their nature as a streaming platform and the capital they brought onto the production committee (which they are on) are cited as reasons for the show's insane production schedule.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
show is definitely picking up imo

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I really wanted to like this episode, but it feels like the show is spinning its wheels for the most part. I get annoyed by setups where all the characters are repeatedly exasperated and surprised by the robotic, child-like nature of the protagonist. I can understand this reaction when first meeting someone, but at some point it doesn't make sense for it to continue. You would learn to start explaining concepts in really basic terms, or at the very least stop reacting so dramatically to it when it occurs for the 12th time that day. Although Violet was able to be helpful and showed some growth, they keep hammering out the same conversation over and over.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 1, 2018

Aug 24, 2011

i was extremely proud to see that violet does not work for free

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This is turning out to be the most unintentionally funny show of the season. Like if this were just an above-average anime production I don't think I'd be watching, but my goodness KyoAni is just going all out with the "hey check how good we can make this because we're kyoani gently caress yea *animates a bee grabbing some iris pollen just because*". This show is visual hubris.

Aug 24, 2011

why even hire the doll in the first place if you're already literate?

both endings were good though

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm going to be very disappointed if Violet's next line isn't "technically, no".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

why even hire the doll in the first place if you're already literate?
Being literate isn't the same as being able to write the kind of artful love letters they were talking about at the beginning of episode 5 though. That society uses reading those as like a national pastime even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I thought Violet would've been at least 16 or more. Not 14.

• Locked thread