Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I still haven't seen The Foreigner. I can't get over how perfectly Pierce Brosnan seems to be channelling Gerry Adams in everything I've seen from it, though. It's too distracting.

My fan theory is that Pierce Brosnan's character in The Foreigner and his character in The Long Good Friday are one and the same.

It's ok, I was a bit underwhelmed. Jackie and Brosnan are great, for me it was a script issue. It's set up like a typical revenge story, something happens at the beginning and Jackie wants revenge for it. But Brosnan's character is really not involved at all. He's wrapped up in this thing against his will and really had nothing to do with the death of Jackie's daughter. Didn't know about it, didn't order it, and was 100% against it as soon as he found out about it. He knows the people involved from a past life like 20+ years ago when he was active with the IRA, that's his only connection.

So when Jackie eventually tracks the guys down, it feels like an afterthought and it's over extremely quickly(and awesomely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to think of some of the less prominent franchises I've not really paid much attention to: how are the Transporter movies? I don't typically go in for films centred around cars. I thought Baby Driver was reasonably enjoyable last year, but I've never really been into the Fast and Furious series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm trying to think of some of the less prominent franchises I've not really paid much attention to: how are the Transporter movies? I don't typically go in for films centred around cars. I thought Baby Driver was reasonably enjoyable last year, but I've never really been into the Fast and Furious series.

Transporter 1 and 2 are very entertaining, I'd say give them a shot. They aren't overly focused on driving either, there's plenty of other types of action too. Transporter 3 suffers from Die Another Day syndrome where they went too far over the top to the point that it was just dumb.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

It's ok, I was a bit underwhelmed. Jackie and Brosnan are great, for me it was a script issue. It's set up like a typical revenge story, something happens at the beginning and Jackie wants revenge for it. But Brosnan's character is really not involved at all. He's wrapped up in this thing against his will and really had nothing to do with the death of Jackie's daughter. Didn't know about it, didn't order it, and was 100% against it as soon as he found out about it. He knows the people involved from a past life like 20+ years ago when he was active with the IRA, that's his only connection.

So when Jackie eventually tracks the guys down, it feels like an afterthought and it's over extremely quickly(and awesomely).

He's not completely uninvolved though, it does seem like he wanted to blow up some banks without casualties to make a stronger case for his pardon demands and political career.. Still, it's kind of weak, I agree.

E: Transporter 1/2 is cool and good, there are a few car chases but Statham mostly just kicks people in the fac.e

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

He's not completely uninvolved though, it does seem like he wanted to blow up some banks without casualties to make a stronger case for his pardon demands and political career.. Still, it's kind of weak, I agree.

I'd need to see it again to clarify that, which I probably won't, but as far as I can remember Brosnan had no idea any bombings were going to take place at all, he makes a comment to one of the guys along the lines of "if we're gonna be bombing poo poo at least don't kill a bunch of random civillians", but he still didn't like it and had no part in planning it.. Maybe I misunderstood that part.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Transporter 1 is great even if you only watch for the garage scene. Not just the fun fight choreography inside the bus but I don't think I'll ever forget how he uses the oil to give himself an advantage.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lobok posted:

This is what I'm expecting. Their rivalry was great but mostly professional, right? Not personal. There's hardly a better opportunity for a former villain (of sorts) to get on side with the hero.

Ruby Rose though, probably not.

Doesn’t Wick do to Common what Laurence Fishburne did to Wick? I thought it was pretty obvious they were setting Common up to be buddies in later movies while ending the fight in a John Wick W.

muscles like this! posted:

It starts filming March 1st and there's still a new character that hasn't been cast yet (or hasn't been announced,) a female lead.

Please be Carrie-Anne Moss.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Doesn’t Wick do to Common what Laurence Fishburne did to Wick? I thought it was pretty obvious they were setting Common up to be buddies in later movies while ending the fight in a John Wick W.

I think what you mean is what Wick did to Fishburne, but yea. Wick seems to do that sometimes when he's randomly not in the mood to kill someone. When you think about it, that bouncer played by Kevin Nash in the first movie was extremely lucky that it was Wick's first day back in the game because it sounds like "nice" John Wick from years past would've put a knife in him regardless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Transporter 1 and 2 are very entertaining, I'd say give them a shot. They aren't overly focused on driving either, there's plenty of other types of action too. Transporter 3 suffers from Die Another Day syndrome where they went too far over the top to the point that it was just dumb.

Also don't watch the reboot.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the reboot doesn't have jason stathem that's all that really needs to be said

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yeah. Unless you have nothing better to do and want to watch a junky europacorp style action movie with even more anemic action than usual

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wandle Cax posted:

junky europacorp style action movie with even more anemic action than usual

Speaking of, I thought I'd try that Netflix-made "The Saint" but I couldn't make it more than ten minutes in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Venuz Patrol posted:

the reboot doesn't have jason stathem that's all that really needs to be said

Statham has said that they really tried to lowball him when negotiating. He said that they wanted him to sign a three picture deal and wanted to pay him less than his regular rate for one movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Statham's most recent project is about a research sub that is attacked by a megalodon shark. By John Turteltaub, director of National Treasure, Cool Runnings, and of course 3 Ninjas.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Statham's most recent project is about a research sub that is attacked by a megalodon shark. By John Turteltaub, director of National Treasure, Cool Runnings, and of course 3 Ninjas.

The Meg is gonna be dumb as gently caress, but I don't even care. I'm all in on Jason Statham vs a prehistoric shark. Only way I'll concievably be disappointed is if he doesn't spinkick the thing at some point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

The Meg is gonna be dumb as gently caress, but I don't even care. I'm all in on Jason Statham vs a prehistoric shark. Only way I'll concievably be disappointed is if he doesn't spinkick the thing at some point.

Already it's starting off on the wrong foot with me because the book is called "Meg", and I have no idea why they felt the need to add "the" to it. It sounds stupid as hell that way.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Maybe it's set in Australia

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently watched To Live and Die In L.A. which was pretty good, though it kept making me think, "I could just watch The French Connection again. :shrug:"

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I liked Ray Stevenson in the Transporter reboot but that's about it. I could have rewatched Punisher: War Zone and gotten much more for my time.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I'd need to see it again to clarify that, which I probably won't, but as far as I can remember Brosnan had no idea any bombings were going to take place at all, he makes a comment to one of the guys along the lines of "if we're gonna be bombing poo poo at least don't kill a bunch of random civillians", but he still didn't like it and had no part in planning it.. Maybe I misunderstood that part.

Brosnan ordered the explosions, but he wanted no casualties, so the government would be forced to the table and he could get some of his guys released form prison.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If you have Amazon Prime, a few Cannon Films were added, mostly the lamest of the Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris flicks, however the super fun Sho Kusugi flick that basically inspired every ninja pop culture thing ever in the 80s,* Revenge of the Ninja, is among them. :D its "sequel," Ninja III: The Domination is on there too and is hilariously bad. It's a bit amazing and approaches Italian movie levels of ripping stuff off. It is literally a mash-up of Flashdance, The Exorcist, and Enter the Ninja. So don't miss it!

Amusingly, Paramount has discerning taste knowing where the real quality in ridiculously stupid/incredibly fun Cannon Films lies, so despite batches of Cannon Films movies being added every few months, you still have to pay money if you want to see American Ninja II: The Confrontation.

*Even the music, like if I just made you listen to some of the movie's soundtrack without context you'd forgiven for assuming it was Sega Genesis Shinobi music.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 24, 2018

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Yaws posted:

The Way of the Gun is fairly forgettable movie overall but the gunfight at the end is hands down the best I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20oEmQZrqyI

I love the way they do brass checks and reload their pistols. A minor thing but something a lot of movies ignore.

Not forgettable at all!

In fact I’ve been obsessed with potty-mouthed Jewish girls since I saw the opening scene. I even married one!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

If you have Amazon Prime, a few Cannon Films were added, mostly the lamest of the Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris flicks, however the super fun Sho Kusugi flick that basically inspired every ninja pop culture thing ever in the 80s,* Revenge of the Ninja, is among them. :D its "sequel," Ninja III: The Domination is on there too and is hilariously bad. It's a bit amazing and approaches Italian movie levels of ripping stuff off. It is literally a mash-up of Flashdance, The Exorcist, and Enter the Ninja. So don't miss it!

Amusingly, Paramount has discerning taste knowing where the real quality in ridiculously stupid/incredibly fun Cannon Films lies, so despite batches of Cannon Films movies being added every few months, you still have to pay money if you want to see American Ninja II: The Confrontation.

*Even the music, like if I just made you listen to some of the movie's soundtrack without context you'd forgiven for assuming it was Sega Genesis Shinobi music.

Awesome Ninja III is an absolute treasure. Also, since Cannon came up again, I’ll reiterate: if you haven’t seen the documentary about the rise and fall of Cannon, Electric Bugaloo fix that, STAT. It’s fantastic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I love that Electric Boogaloo spends a few minutes talking about how loving bananas Lifeforce is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the bit explaining the origins of Going Bananas, which involved Menahem Golan getting a famous performing monkey and its handler into his office and trying to pitch the movie to the monkey.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

Awesome Ninja III is an absolute treasure. Also, since Cannon came up again, I’ll reiterate: if you haven’t seen the documentary about the rise and fall of Cannon, Electric Bugaloo fix that, STAT. It’s fantastic.

My favorite thing about the documentary is them right there just saying that Ninja III flopped because audiences would never believe that a woman could be a ninja. Like I just love that they will never break all of their films are amazing masterpieces.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

The best part of the documentary was the coda saying that they managed to poo poo out their own Cannon films documentary three weeks before Electric Boogaloo came out.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I love that Electric Boogaloo spends a few minutes talking about how loving bananas Lifeforce is.

Lifeforce is, indeed, bananas. It plays out like a little kid telling you a story.
"There's a spaceship, but there's vampires...and a lady, and then..."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watch Lifeforce. I recommend once a year like I do.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

Watch Lifeforce. I recommend once a year like I do.

Goddamn that movie was on hbo constantly when I was 12/13. I’ll let you fill in the rest.

Goddamn Dan O’Bannon could write[

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The best part of the documentary was the coda saying that they managed to poo poo out their own Cannon films documentary three weeks before Electric Boogaloo came out.

I tapped out after like ten minutes, it was incredibly insufferable.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Snowman_McK posted:

Lifeforce is, indeed, bananas. It plays out like a little kid telling you a story.
"There's a spaceship, but there's vampires...and a lady, and then..."

It’s a mix of an airport novel and 60s sci-fi horror like Queen of Blood, with a heaping dose of cocaine. It has to be seen to be believed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
When I was 14 my friend gave me a VHS copy of Lifeforce and when I asked him what it was about he told me "it doesn't matter"

He was right...also the movie owns on its own merits.

In other news I watched the Guy Richie King Arthur movie and I'm sad it flopped. It's actually really good. It has imaginative action set-pieces (they overuse one cool idea), some great visual design, and an adequate performance from Charlie Hunnam. There's also a couple of action sequences done via montage that I enjoyed the hell out of. Full disclosure: I liked Lock Stock and Snatch a lot when I was younger, so the kinetic editing and the more tempered version of the "smarmy street smart Richie character" really clicked with me. Also I really enjoy John Boorman's Excalibur but don't give a hoot about the movie being the "proper" Arthurian legend.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 25, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I watched The Nice Guys the other day. It was pretty good, but I think I still prefer Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

I'd rather Shane Black kept making these pulp/neo-noir pastiches than anything else, though I'm sure his new Predator this year will be fine (at least it ought to be better than either of the AvP movies). I'm quite interested in the reports of Black and Fred Dekker reviving The Avengers for television.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Lifeforce is just... a hell of a thing. Where else could you see Patrick Stewart be possessed by a naked space vampire lady, vomit out gallons of blood and then explode? Fun fact: they had to redesign and reshoot the alien spaceship halfway through production, because it looked so much like an umbrella that everyone who saw it started humming 'Singing in the Rain'.

What, someone's planning a new version of The Avengers? Historically that's never gone well, and I'm not just talking about the :wtc: Fiennes/Thurman/Connery movie. The people who made the original show couldn't even restart it successfully after only about six years. It was so of its time that either you end up just parroting what's already been done without understanding why it worked (as per the movie), or you 'update' it (as per The New Avengers) and change it so much it ceases to be The Avengers at all. I actually kind of like some of TNA, but the Cold War spy stuff and the gritty Sweeney/proto-Professionals action really doesn't fit with what they seemed to be aiming for at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

What, someone's planning a new version of The Avengers?

As noted, Shane Black and Fred Dekker apparently want to do it for TV as a mid-60s Swinging London period piece.

Personally, I'm waiting for the XYY Man/Strangers/Bulman Shared Cinematic Universe. :v:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

As noted, Shane Black and Fred Dekker apparently want to do it for TV as a mid-60s Swinging London period piece.

Personally, I'm waiting for the XYY Man/Strangers/Bulman Shared Cinematic Universe. :v:
Not really a thing for this thread, but an ITC/ATV shared universe would be pretty cool. (As a sidenote, couldn't help noticing that one of the US networks has just announced a show that is literally Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) with the names changed.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Not really a thing for this thread, but an ITC/ATV shared universe would be pretty cool. (As a sidenote, couldn't help noticing that one of the US networks has just announced a show that is literally Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) with the names changed.)

I had this idea where a movie reboot version of The Saint has a post-credits scene of Simon Templar (Henry Cavill) returning to his penthouse and being surprised by John Steed (Tom Hiddleston) and Emma Peel (Emily Blunt) inviting him to join "the Avengers Initiative". :v:

Combatace
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anybody have any suggestions for the better DTV movies that came out in 2016/17? I'm a big fan of technically accurate and fluid gun play. In my mind I'm thinking of something similar to Universal Soldier: Regeneration or The Hit List.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
There's a podcast called The Adkins Diet that's all Scott Adkins DTV discussion, they might have some good suggestions... I've got Lady Bloodfight on my"to watch" list but it doesn't look like a shoot em up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Combatace posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions for the better DTV movies that came out in 2016/17? I'm a big fan of technically accurate and fluid gun play. In my mind I'm thinking of something similar to Universal Soldier: Regeneration or The Hit List.

Didn't have much gunplay, but Savage Dog was fun and pulpy and had Scott Adkins, Marko Zaror and Cung Le.

Security was a "Assault on Precinct 13 in a mall" that's saved by some solid acting. Acts of Vengeance is another good DTV Antonio Banderas movie, but not much gunplay.

I heard good things about 24 Hours to Live but I haven't seen it.

12 Rounds 3: Lockdown is a Die Hard riff that isn't great but gets by on Dean Ambrose's goofy charm.

The Marine 3 and The Marine 5 are good and worth a watch.

The closest thing here to a Hit List/Universal Soldier: Regeneration vibe is probably Acts of Vengeance.