Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Look back a few pages there was a discussion about brushing teeth.

I think most people were saying that sometimes you just have to force it. I get your hesitation, and trying to make it fun and a game is important, but at some point this is something that isn't fun for baby kids and that should never be negotiable. So you may have to force it. He always get to brush first if he wants, but then we have to help finish the job.

Here it was a pain in the butt for months but now he never cries or fight anymore and he's super proud of himself. So I don't think forcing him traumatized him

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Interesting study from Sweden, children who are outside a lot in daycare and in more natural outdoor environments (trees, rocks, etc) perform a lot better than kids who spend time indoors. Better at empathy, motor functions, concentration, strength and balance. And it's such a strong correlation too that the researches call the results definite.

https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2018/01/17/dagisbarn-som-ar-ute-mycket-ar-battre-i-test

I thought the page was pretty readable if translated with google, though some areas are messed up, like

Hard to translate that particular phrase, a place with a low level of natural features would be what it means.

Thanks for this. Pretty interesting and significant findings. Makes me glad we're doing an outdoor farm and nature daycare this summer!

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Leng posted:

Hello thread, I'm back with another question. Bub's teeth are starting to come out now so I'm trying to start a brushing routine. We tried the finger tooth brush for the first time tonight and she wouldn't have it. :(

How did everyone do this? She's not very stable standing up yet so I have to support her lots so it's kind of this stressful juggling exercise. I also don't want to traumatize her or create negative associations by using physical force.

Try in the highchair? Or you can try one of the teether banana toothbrushes that she can try and "help."

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

KingColliwog posted:

Look back a few pages there was a discussion about brushing teeth.

Yep, I saw that - most of it sounded like it was strategies for much older kids (2+ years?) who already have brushing routines. Bub is only 8 months and the first tooth is only just starting to break through this week. At any rate I'll go back and revisit and maybe pick something up. I get what you're saying about the hygiene issue being non-negotiable. It sounds like it's a 2 person job though? How do you hold a wriggly baby, pry mouth open and get the toothbrush in all at the same time with only 2 arms?

sheri posted:

Have her sit while you do it?

This turned out to reduce difficulty because I didn't have to hold her but simultaneously increased difficulty because she started leaning forward and forward and forward...

1up posted:

Try in the highchair? Or you can try one of the teether banana toothbrushes that she can try and "help."

Will look into that banana toothbrush as that seems like it might work better. The high chair has a time limit that is thoroughly exhausted by the time we are done with food. Baby led weaning just takes forever...

cailleask posted:

At this stage it’s all about making it fun. Don’t focus so much on accomplishing the goal (brushed teeth) as much as making the process as fun and rewarding as possible for her. Maybe that means singing a song and letting her hold it or inspect or chew on it herself. It will probably mean many steps backwards and forwards- but at this age learning to enjoy / not hate brushing is more important than brushing quality imo.
I had a colleague suggest pulling funny faces in the mirror and asking bub to pretend to be animals that have a lot of teeth (e.g. crocodiles, etc) which I will try. She also gave me some anecdotes about how apparently dental hygiene doesn't really become a real issue until 2 but I haven't gone looking for the medical studies to support that yet. Weirdly, she'll let me "brush" with just my finger but clams up the minute we're going with the toothbrush, so maybe it is that familiarization with the toothbrush to start.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Leng posted:

How do you hold a wriggly baby, pry mouth open and get the toothbrush in all at the same time with only 2 arms?

Assuming you get to the "force it" level...

Don't limit yourself to your arms. Prop one leg up on the toilet, sit them on it, wrap the arm around their body and then up to hold their head still and prevent them from hurting themselves by throwing it forward or to the side while you brush.

The other hand has two fingers hold the brush and the rest to force the lips open.

I don't know any good way to force the jaw open - that part just takes patience and persistence and letting them know they are going to stay wrapped up in your arm unable to move until it's done.

But obviously this isn't ideal. Also a baby that young really doesn't need a "proper" tooth brush so I'll second getting one of those rubber ones like the banana ones as an initial introduction, they are a lot gentler on the gums.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Leng posted:

Yep, I saw that - most of it sounded like it was strategies for much older kids (2+ years?) who already have brushing routines. Bub is only 8 months and the first tooth is only just starting to break through this week. At any rate I'll go back and revisit and maybe pick something up. I get what you're saying about the hygiene issue being non-negotiable. It sounds like it's a 2 person job though? How do you hold a wriggly baby, pry mouth open and get the toothbrush in all at the same time with only 2 arms

I found that the same strategies worked at 8 months vs now at 2 year +. If it's only the first tooth then you might be able to skip brushing every now and then I guess, but I think a lot of kid will simply never enjoy people putting a brush in their mouth and rubbing it around. We did use one of the rubber thing at first though and he didn't complain much when we used those. If I remember correctly it's once we started using a real brush and he was teething that brushing became harder to do.

Make it fun, sing along, etc. If it does not work explain why it's mandatory and then force it. ( I really like counting to 5 before forcing it. Doesn't work at first, but now it works for everything when I think I might have to force something. Which is like once every couple of weeks, but once I cont he knows it means business

I do judo so I'm used to wrestling grown man on the ground using all my limbs so I might have a different approach than most, but I never found it hard to hold him. I sit him down and sit next to him so he is between my legs and facing to the right. I put my right leg over his legs and around his waist and my left leg is touching his Lowe back. So my legs keep him from moving anything from the waist down. I put my left arm around his back and hug him close to me catching his arms in the way and lean him back slightly. He could probably keep his mouth shut if he really wanted to, but if I'm having to force something on him he's generally crying so I can just put the toothbrush in his mouth and go at it.

It might seem a bit extreme when described this way, but it's really not that bad nor is it hard to do. Knowing how to hold a kid so he can't move at all is pretty useful anyway so I think it's worth trying.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 18, 2018

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
If you get them mad enough to actually yell/cry it's easier to get the brush in there. Then give them lots of praise and high fives when it's over.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

And on the topic of teeth, my nearly-six-year-old (11 days to his birthday!) lost his first tooth today. The dentist told him he had to put his tooth under his pillow so the tooth fairy could give him a gift, which was a little awkward for me because Santa doesn't bring gifts (he knows that I pretend to be St. Nicholas for him and his brother, he pretends to be St. Nicholas for his dad, and I think he assumes his dad pretends to be St. Nicholas for me (it's me, filling my own shoe with candy coins)), the Easter Bunny doesn't hide eggs ("hey Dad, wake up, it's time for you to hide eggs for me!"), and I hadn't even thought about the tooth fairy one way or the other since my last baby tooth was yanked from my jaw when I was 13.

Still, since he remembered the dentist's instruction without prompting, I figured I'd play along. I had him put the tooth in a sandwich bag under his pillow, and then once he was asleep I folded a dollar bill in the shape of a butterfly (for a fairy, right?) and put it in a different sandwich bag... only to discover that, in his sleep, he was clutching the bag-with-tooth in his fist :doh:

(I did get it free without waking him, I think, though I didn't try to wrap his hand around the new bag or anything. We'll see.)

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

zonohedron posted:

And on the topic of teeth, my nearly-six-year-old (11 days to his birthday!) lost his first tooth today. The dentist told him he had to put his tooth under his pillow so the tooth fairy could give him a gift, which was a little awkward for me because Santa doesn't bring gifts (he knows that I pretend to be St. Nicholas for him and his brother, he pretends to be St. Nicholas for his dad, and I think he assumes his dad pretends to be St. Nicholas for me (it's me, filling my own shoe with candy coins)), the Easter Bunny doesn't hide eggs ("hey Dad, wake up, it's time for you to hide eggs for me!"), and I hadn't even thought about the tooth fairy one way or the other since my last baby tooth was yanked from my jaw when I was 13.

Still, since he remembered the dentist's instruction without prompting, I figured I'd play along. I had him put the tooth in a sandwich bag under his pillow, and then once he was asleep I folded a dollar bill in the shape of a butterfly (for a fairy, right?) and put it in a different sandwich bag... only to discover that, in his sleep, he was clutching the bag-with-tooth in his fist :doh:

(I did get it free without waking him, I think, though I didn't try to wrap his hand around the new bag or anything. We'll see.)

My almost-six-year-old has seemed much more excited about Santa since figuring out he isn't real. She hasn't lost a tooth yet, but figured out the tooth fairy by extrapolation. She is very, very stoked about loosing teeth because it means she gets money.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I try not to hype up stuff like The Tooth Fairy or Santa or anything, as I simply don't have much time or energy at the end of the day after keeping all the normal balls in the air to add on more stuff. We keep it much more grounded, like Santa is an extra pair of eyes for Mom & Dad so he can report back on their behavior when we aren't around. And for the tooth fairy, we seem to be recycling the same gold coin for my oldest's first two teeth. We have a stack somewhere, and eventually each kid will get a little sack full of coins when they lose all their baby teeth, but right now I know where that one coin is so I can grab it in case another falls out tonight.

I wish I had the energy for the magical stuff, but for now we do what we can...

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

GlyphGryph posted:

Assuming you get to the "force it" level...

KingColliwog posted:

Knowing how to hold a kid so he can't move at all is pretty useful anyway so I think it's worth trying.

This was helpful, thank you. I have not had to try it yet because for some weird reason, she has decided that she loves the toothbrush now. :confused: Maybe she just needed to familiarize herself with it? At any rate, the pulling faces in the mirror, singing songs and trying to keep it fun seems to be working right now. Also figured out that she just happens to be the right height to stand on top of the under sink cabinet so I haven't had to wrangle the high chair from downstairs to upstairs.

New Weave Wendy posted:

If you get them mad enough to actually yell/cry it's easier to get the brush in there. Then give them lots of praise and high fives when it's over.

Will try and keep this in mind...

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Leng posted:

This was helpful, thank you. I have not had to try it yet because for some weird reason, she has decided that she loves the toothbrush now. :confused: Maybe she just needed to familiarize herself with it? At any rate, the pulling faces in the mirror, singing songs and trying to keep it fun seems to be working right now. Also figured out that she just happens to be the right height to stand on top of the under sink cabinet so I haven't had to wrangle the high chair from downstairs to

That does sound like a kid! They don't always make a lot of sense. Will probably go through phases of hating brushing and phases of loving it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

KingColliwog posted:

That does sound like a kid! They don't always make a lot of sense. Will probably go through phases of hating brushing and phases of loving it.

And phases of INSISTING on doing everything themselves. Regardless of whether it's even theoretically possible for them. With other phases of refusing to do even the most basic of tasks for themselves. And so on.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Put on own socks? Impossible. Vacuum entire home without help? Totally possible.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Alterian posted:

Put on own socks? Impossible. Vacuum entire home without help? Totally possible.

My son is legit better at vacuuming the whole house than at putting his socks on though.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
For our daughter's first tooth, the tooth fairy came and brought a golden dollar, no problem (aside from adults griping about inflation).

With the second tooth, it happened on a day that was just utterly terrible for me and my spouse, so we completely forgot to do the tooth fairy thing before we went to sleep.

In the morning, our daughter was literally in tears because the tooth fairy didn't come (she's...uh...a bit of a drama queen). I was the one who discovered this, and I scrambled to come up with something; I ended up asking where she'd left the pillow holding the tooth, and if it was the same place as last time—and then if she had any ideas as to what might have happened. This, along with reassurances that we could try again, was enough to finally calm her down.

And of course, we forgot that night to do it again.

In the morning, though, she speculated that the snowfall that night had been too much, and the tooth fairy hadn't been able to fly.

We finally switched it out that evening, and the Great Tooth Fairy Debacle of 2018 was resolved.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The twins are starting with self-feeding solid food.

We need a dog.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My dog was pretty indifferent to our kid until he started on solids.
Edit: Now bffs

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 25, 2018

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

devmd01 posted:

We need a dog.

How old are they? That's going to be my life in a month or two

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
Any advice for tired as poo poo parents who's 7 month old only sleeps 1.5 to 2 hr stretches through the night? We are not fans of letting her cry but getting desperate to maybe try it again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It won’t last forever but it will last just long enough to break your spirit so....

It’ll all be okay.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Cry it out or wait it out.

If like me you can't let a kid cry out out then Be consistent in the way you handle the kids at night, don't give undue attention and keep hoping that what your doing is helping. It's a tough phase, but it's still just a phase. We tried so many thing with our first, but he would always progress when he was ready so I'm now a form believer of just doing what seems best, clenching your jaw and waiting for the hard phases to be over. Always remember that it won't be like that forever.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
We tried cry it out (never worked, he would get more and more upset until he vomited) and wait it out (he was still sleeping in 2-3 hour stretches at 10 months) until one night I went to google in desperation and realized he fit many symptoms for silent reflux. We didn't catch it until then, even through regular doctor's visits and a baby sleep support workshop run by a professional, because we were first time parents and everyone kept telling us that him not sleeping was normal & it would get better.

It did! Once we found a medication that worked!

It may well be that your child is just going through a phase and you'll need to wait it out, but if they've been a consistently poor sleeper it can't hurt to talk to your doctor about it. Best of luck.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Potty training is my new least favorite rollercoaster of parenthood. We started our daughter about 6 weeks ago. We went straight to underwear because that's what our daycare prefers when the kid starts potty training, so we did a whole weekend of lots of sitting on the potty. The first week was terrible - like 95% accidents. The second week was great - like 10% accidents. We have now settled into a steady rhythm of one day with 0 accidents followed by a day with 50% accidents. I know she'll get it (everyone does), but it's very frustrating when she suddenly gets up, says "I have to pee," starts peeing and then runs to the bathroom. It's doubly frustrating reading about all the "miracle" children that potty train in a day or two.

I will say her accidents do happen more at daycare because she's in the age group where a majority of the kids are potty training at the same time. There's no way in hell that 2 workers can adequately handle 7 potty training kids at once.

Also, my friends all think we're crazy for going straight to underwear because of dealing with accidents and messy clothes. But it didn't really affect us since we used cloth diapers, we were already cleaning up a bunch of pee and poop already - this is practically no different.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

devmd01 posted:

We need a dog.

Yea, it looks like Dresden underneath the high chair every evening.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Potty training is my new least favorite rollercoaster of parenthood. We started our daughter about 6 weeks ago. We went straight to underwear because that's what our daycare prefers when the kid starts potty training, so we did a whole weekend of lots of sitting on the potty. The first week was terrible - like 95% accidents. The second week was great - like 10% accidents. We have now settled into a steady rhythm of one day with 0 accidents followed by a day with 50% accidents. I know she'll get it (everyone does), but it's very frustrating when she suddenly gets up, says "I have to pee," starts peeing and then runs to the bathroom. It's doubly frustrating reading about all the "miracle" children that potty train in a day or two.

I will say her accidents do happen more at daycare because she's in the age group where a majority of the kids are potty training at the same time. There's no way in hell that 2 workers can adequately handle 7 potty training kids at once.

Also, my friends all think we're crazy for going straight to underwear because of dealing with accidents and messy clothes. But it didn't really affect us since we used cloth diapers, we were already cleaning up a bunch of pee and poop already - this is practically no different.

The a-ha moment when things clicked with our daughter and potty training was when Our Lord And Savior Daniel Tiger came down from on high and said "when you have to go potty, stop, and go right away".

Then it became sort of a game where she had to 'beat' the pee, and get to the potty before it could escape. It really helped her listen to her body and anticipate when she had to go.

https://youtu.be/dHtWX57X_Qw

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

The a-ha moment when things clicked with our daughter and potty training was when Our Lord And Savior Daniel Tiger came down from on high and said "when you have to go potty, stop, and go right away".
https://youtu.be/dHtWX57X_Qw
Flush and wash and be on your way!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’ve watched that episode so many times, thankfully it’s included in prime video!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh boy, it appears that the flu has appeared in our household. That’s gonna make for a fun weekend!

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

fishhooked posted:

Any advice for tired as poo poo parents who's 7 month old only sleeps 1.5 to 2 hr stretches through the night? We are not fans of letting her cry but getting desperate to maybe try it again.

We were in the same boat up until 6-7 months. Had tried everything under the sun to soothe him to sleep, vibrating mat, white noise, soother, rocking the basinette, rocking him to sleep in our arms. Only to wake up <insert length of time> screaming/crying and having to do it all again. We were at our wits end, at each others throats, work going down hill, etc.

Seriously. Try the cry it out. It worked on my kid within about 3 nights. We took away -all- of the sleep aides in one go. We noticed he wouldn't actually cry, as in he wouldn't cry as if he was hurt, just more frustrated that he didn't quite know how to put himself to sleep.

Consistent bed times every night. 630 bath, 645 bottle, 655 book, finish the last book and lay him in the crib with his stuffy, say good night, give him a kiss/caress his head and walk out. We would go back in in 10 minute intervals. If he really shouted/got upset, we would go sooner. During the night, we gave it the same 10 minute interval, 95% of the time, he puts himself down the sleep.

Now he goes down to sleep within 10 minutes, and sleeps through the night. Even with him getting his first tooth, he had 2 bad nights, then right back to his sleeping.

Sorry for going on, but doing this with our child saved our sanity AND our relationship. If I can help 1 more person do the same, I'm happy.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

devmd01 posted:

Oh boy, it appears that the flu has appeared in our household. That’s gonna make for a fun weekend!

My brother in law is staying with us and he got the flu. I quarantined him without hesitation to his room for like a week. I lysol bombed the house regularly.

Then my little one got strep. However she never showed any symptoms and appeared fine. She had a 100.4 temp which is very irregular for her to have any sort of temp so I took her to the doc. She tested neg for flu and positive for strep. The doc was like "uh... she seems to be quite fine. We'll give her the strep shot and you can take her back to daycare tomorrow." Boom, knocked it out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

My brother in law is staying with us and he got the flu. I quarantined him without hesitation to his room for like a week. I lysol bombed the house regularly.

Then my little one got strep. However she never showed any symptoms and appeared fine. She had a 100.4 temp which is very irregular for her to have any sort of temp so I took her to the doc. She tested neg for flu and positive for strep. The doc was like "uh... she seems to be quite fine. We'll give her the strep shot and you can take her back to daycare tomorrow." Boom, knocked it out.

This happened to us as well (the weird non-strep, not the flu). He had the white dots on the back of his throat and my mom swore she smelled that strep smell on his breath.

However, he never broke a fever and never seemed to be affected. We just kept watch for any signs of a fever until the white spots went away.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

diapermeat posted:

We were in the same boat up until 6-7 months. Had tried everything under the sun to soothe him to sleep, vibrating mat, white noise, soother, rocking the basinette, rocking him to sleep in our arms. Only to wake up <insert length of time> screaming/crying and having to do it all again. We were at our wits end, at each others throats, work going down hill, etc.

Seriously. Try the cry it out. It worked on my kid within about 3 nights. We took away -all- of the sleep aides in one go. We noticed he wouldn't actually cry, as in he wouldn't cry as if he was hurt, just more frustrated that he didn't quite know how to put himself to sleep.

Consistent bed times every night. 630 bath, 645 bottle, 655 book, finish the last book and lay him in the crib with his stuffy, say good night, give him a kiss/caress his head and walk out. We would go back in in 10 minute intervals. If he really shouted/got upset, we would go sooner. During the night, we gave it the same 10 minute interval, 95% of the time, he puts himself down the sleep.

Now he goes down to sleep within 10 minutes, and sleeps through the night. Even with him getting his first tooth, he had 2 bad nights, then right back to his sleeping.

Sorry for going on, but doing this with our child saved our sanity AND our relationship. If I can help 1 more person do the same, I'm happy.
My sister in law said the trick to getting her kids to sleep through the night was to put them to bed at a very consistent time, and just let them cry for a while. The one downside was that she'd be so set on the bedtime it sometimes meant she had to be home earlier than she might want, but that's a reasonable tradeoff vs getting less than 4 hours of sleep every night.

She mentioned that overnight stays with family /hotel really threw their routine to poo poo, and even a week after they got back she'd have to 'Re-train' her son to sleep.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Littlest of the twins definitely has it, swab came back positive and he’s running a 101.9 temperature, poor guy. The wife has also been feeling crummy for the last 24 hours, and with the way the three year old was acting I bet she’s fighting it off too.

Tamiflu for everyone!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 27, 2018

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Groke posted:

And phases of INSISTING on doing everything themselves. Regardless of whether it's even theoretically possible for them. With other phases of refusing to do even the most basic of tasks for themselves. And so on.

This is happening right now with eating. She can feed herself perfectly well with finger foods or with a pre-loaded spoon. Last month it was "I will not eat unless I am doing all of the food things". This week it's "hold all my foods/spoons for me".

fishhooked posted:

Is this always the case or are you in the 6/8 month sleep regression/progression? What have you tried so far?

Things that have worked for us:
- making sure bub is getting enough mental/physical stimulation during the day so she's tired at night
- dream feeding - this doesn't stop the waking up every 1.5-2 hours but it does mean she doesn't fully wake up and goes back to sleep straight away
- only putting her to bed once she's showing early tired cue signs

We have a routine, kind of, in the most general sense of "routine" in that there's a collection of things we do (brush teeth, book, lullabies) but we don't always do them all or in the same order or at the same time.

On cry it out - you'll have to do the research on this and decide for yourselves if this is something you want to do. We decided that we would not do it.

The thing that keeps me going is knowing that she will need to give in to sleep at some point. And that I have to work around when she's asleep, not the other way around (because babies just do their thing when they want to, regardless of how convenient it is for their parents). Once I wrapped my head around that concept, things became less stressful.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Pick up put down is a less emotionally painful alternative to cry it out and, imo, a superior one. We went from nightmare sleep schedule to perfect in three nights and he was great forever afterwards.

I have found the pick up put down model of "I am here for you, I will help you and reassure you, but you will still be the one who does this and ultimately you will have to do it on your own" to be useful as a model for solving many behavioural goals at that age.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 27, 2018

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Yesterday, after months of 'you help me' and 'carry me' and 'wipe me', my 3.5 year old abruptly locked me out of the bathroom stall at the gym and instructed me to keep watch while she did her business. :aaa:

She'd been doing it for a year independently at school, but refused at home. She's getting so old :3:

Crawdad
Feb 26, 2016
Gah, my two-year-old won't eat anything but chicken nuggets, toast, crackers, cheerios, and the occasional fruit cup. At daycare he eats whatever they put in front of him. At home he picks up something, holds it close to his mouth, smiles, goes "MMmmmmm" and places it back on his plate while still smiling. Eventually he has touched every item and then pushes his plate forward and says "All done!" At least he is pleasant about it?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Crawdad posted:

Gah, my two-year-old won't eat anything but chicken nuggets, toast, crackers, cheerios, and the occasional fruit cup. At daycare he eats whatever they put in front of him. At home he picks up something, holds it close to his mouth, smiles, goes "MMmmmmm" and places it back on his plate while still smiling. Eventually he has touched every item and then pushes his plate forward and says "All done!" At least he is pleasant about it?

I think that's textbook two year old. We were slightly irritated at first but now we always just give him the food that we are having, he decides what/how much he eats. He does have to sit with us until we're done (or almost done) and has to taste everything if he wants some fruit/yogourt/bran buds/funky dessert. Those and etiquette stuff like saying when you're done instead of throwing your plate on the floor are the only rules. We reward good eating habits with lots of praise and encourage him to try.

Now Some days he'll eat nothing, some days he'll chow down on meat only and then the next he'll want veggies only. But we're way more relaxed about the whole thing and things are improving consistently. As long as what your offering is healthy and your not allowing him to get other foods or otherwise encourage pickiness I don't think you can do this wrong.

Don't compare yourself with day care. Eating is a social thing for human beings and that's where all his friends are so he's emulating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Same situation here except 4 year olds. Usually they'll pick the plates clean of vegetables though, so I guess that's good. Getting them to sit is a challenge. Day care reports the same, they eat well usually but David has a designated seat next to one of the adults and also gets a special cushion to sit on.