Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also, theoretically assuming the Rangers blow it up. Carolina is a prime landing place for Hank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

“lmao this is awesome, gently caress yeah i love that guy” - all of SAS* in about two months when kessel wins the art ross

*except wonderllama

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

You think the Leafs would deal Nylander, a first, and a prospect for Mac??

you should know better

they're clearly going to give up Marner and a first for a Gudbranson/Tanev package though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Buchnevich seems severely underplayed and I'm sure I'm gonna regret putting him on waivers in a keeper league.

To be fair he's had a few struggles but it's his second season and he's a really talented player.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

i am the bird posted:

If NYR dealt those guys, would they be the first team to engage in the kind of pragmatic rebuild (ditching your mid-age guys before their salary outweighs their worth and because they’ll be older/beat up by the time the team is actually competitive) that only exists in theoretical discussions? It’s kind of interesting because more teams could do this but it basically never happens, largely because GMs remain convinced they’re one piece away or because they don’t want to risk pissing off the fans.

They could be in the right situation for this. They've been good-but-not-good-enough for a few years. They have a cash-rich owner who doesn't need to chase the playoffs for money, and seems set on chasing his dreams and building a legacy right now - his musical career is obviously DOA, and perhaps he wants to make a bold move to rebuild without bottoming out.

I think the overall sentiment from fans is that the team isn't good enough and certainly isn't a piece or two away, either. The Rangers beat has been crying for a rebuild lately, and the biggest writer in town (Larry Brooks) seems to be on board.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Please don't trade Nylander. Or Marner. I'm.. too attached to the young core (mainly Nylander, Matthews, Marner) and am gonna be sad if they leave.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

They could be in the right situation for this. They've been good-but-not-good-enough for a few years. They have a cash-rich owner who doesn't need to chase the playoffs for money, and seems set on chasing his dreams and building a legacy right now - his musical career is obviously DOA, and perhaps he wants to make a bold move to rebuild without bottoming out.

I think the overall sentiment from fans is that the team isn't good enough and certainly isn't a piece or two away, either. The Rangers beat has been crying for a rebuild lately, and the biggest writer in town (Larry Brooks) seems to be on board.

Larry is saying he has sources telling him this and he's literally the only guy who actually does have sources with the Rangers (likely management just leaks stuff to him to put out there). He writes a lot of crap but when he says he has sources he's usually legit

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

“lmao this is awesome, gently caress yeah i love that guy” - all of SAS* in about two months when kessel wins the art ross

*except wonderllama

Haha. I, too, like Kessel. Shame about that jersey.

Also, the leafs giving him to the pens is the reason I hate the leafs so much. Eff why eye.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

bruins baby

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Brooks was always the guy who Sather leaked stuff to when he wanted it out there. I asked a beat reporter about rumors a year or two ago, and he said Gorton runs a really tight front office and any rumors out there were far-fetched. That appears to be true, and I don't even recall any notable trade rumors regarding the Rangers last season. This rumor is almost certainly true, though they have some time to trade these guys, and I don't think they're in a rush to do it, either.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Brooks was always the guy who Sather leaked stuff to when he wanted it out there. I asked a beat reporter about rumors a year or two ago, and he said Gorton runs a really tight front office and any rumors out there were far-fetched. That appears to be true, and I don't even recall any notable trade rumors regarding the Rangers last season. This rumor is almost certainly true, though they have some time to trade these guys, and I don't think they're in a rush to do it, either.

Yeah I doubt Brooks would go out there on a limb and say he has a source if it's not a solid one, but what you say is why I'd believe it's probably Gorton doing the leaking.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
TSN is going to have a special interview with Paul Ranger next week in connection with the Bell Let's Talk hashtag campaign so I guess you can conclude that anxiety or depression or something like that is why he left hockey. He must be doing better if he's willing to talk about it now so that's good.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Wonderllama posted:

Haha. I, too, like Kessel. Shame about that jersey.

Also, the leafs giving him to the pens is the reason I hate the leafs so much. Eff why eye.

Hating the Leafs for that is kinda silly. You should hate the GM that made that trade, but since that GM is no longer GM of the Leafs, you don't have to hate the Leafs anymore (for now).

Or you can, either way. :)

edit: oh wait I think that was lou wasn't it? haha disregard!

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 27, 2018

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol if you think mcdonagh is worth one of toronto contract controlled young scorers

(He's not)

Picks and prospects sure.

20-30 goal scorers already in the nhl on entry or bridge deals? Nahhh

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would burn down the ACC if they traded Nylander or Marner for McDonagh, let alone with an extra 1st and prospect for some unfuckingfathomable reason.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Looks like we'll have to ask Edmonton for a straight-up hockey trade.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

stab posted:

Lol if you think mcdonagh is worth one of toronto contract controlled young scorers

(He's not)

Picks and prospects sure.

20-30 goal scorers already in the nhl on entry or bridge deals? Nahhh

He is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nylander's okay and they can definitely afford to give him up.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Like I know people look at the scoresheet and think McD is overrated but the dude eats minutes against top lines like it's nothing. He's really really good and I'll be sad to see him go (I think it happens at the draft, not the deadline).

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I don’t think Mac, Zucc, or Hank are going anywhere. I wouldn’t be surprised if Grabner/Nash go somewhere. I’d be hugely surprised if they blow it all up.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

He also has been dragging around Girardi/Holden/Kampfer/Staal for most of the past 2 years

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

He also has been dragging around Girardi/Holden/Kampfer/Staal for most of the past 2 years

Fire AV

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Does Dentyne Ice provide resistance to firing?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Nylander's okay and they can definitely afford to give him up.

Nylander has room to grow but he's exceptional when he's feeling it. He has a great shot and can make plays. He also has good on-ice chemistry with Matthews, it would suck to break that up.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DuhSal posted:

Nylander has room to grow but he's exceptional when he's feeling it. He has a great shot and can make plays. He also has good on-ice chemistry with Matthews, it would suck to break that up.

I'm not saying the Leafs should trade him or anyone else, but that's kind of how it goes if you want to make a big move to bring in a very good player you decide your team needs. Usually part of the deal sucks one way or another.

But honestly a team like the Leafs shouldn't do it unless they think they can be a legitimate contender in the next year....or I guess if they want to sign on for a big contract in a years time.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

when you think about it, its pretty weird that maurice gets the mid season nod for jack adams but bruce cassidy doesnt. i could coach the wpg jets to being good, their roster is good. maybe the biigeest fault of the jets, is their coaching and inconsistent results from key defenseman. anywyas. bruce cassidy is coaching a team that has riley nash as its third line center and danton heinen and jake debrusk as 2 of its most reliable forwards and charlie mcavoy as its number 1 d (chara just plays a hwole bunch of pk).

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

if erik karlsson is so good, why cant he carry his team like drew doughty does? is tyler toffoli really better than mike hoffman etc. cmon

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Winnipeg jumped more from last year.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Levitate posted:

I'm not saying the Leafs should trade him or anyone else, but that's kind of how it goes if you want to make a big move to bring in a very good player you decide your team needs. Usually part of the deal sucks one way or another.

But honestly a team like the Leafs shouldn't do it unless they think they can be a legitimate contender in the next year....or I guess if they want to sign on for a big contract in a years time.

Yea I know :(

I agree that they shouldn't make a move like that now anyway. They need help on D for sure, but I don't think it's a good idea to trade for a big name and give up someone like Nylander or Marner. I feel like maybe they can get some middle/bottom pairing guys to help the depth and continue with Rielly, Gardiner and develop Dermott. I don't think they're a contender yet so it doesn't make sense to me to make some big rush move.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Seems odd that the Rangers would sell considering there's still a good chance they make the playoffs. The teams ahead of them have various problems that could easily see any of them dropping right back out.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

winnipeg produced on par with what they are capable, at long last. the bruins have effectively the same roster and have improved drastically.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

on spec posted:

winnipeg produced on par with what they are capable, at long last. the bruins have effectively the same roster and have improved drastically.

that basically means the same thing dude lol. its weird how a troll like this can persist so long and no one does anything honestly

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

on spec posted:

You're trying to use logic where there is none.

The Jack Adams is simply the Current Year Points minus Previous Year Points award.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

on spec posted:

that basically means the same thing dude lol. its weird how a troll like this can persist so long and no one does anything honestly

You quoted yourself.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

Seems odd that the Rangers would sell considering there's still a good chance they make the playoffs. The teams ahead of them have various problems that could easily see any of them dropping right back out.

I think they've just been so inconsistent this year and their depth is pretty thin and they completely poo poo themselves whenever they play a team like pittsburgh or Columbus or the Islanders and probably the Caps so it's like what are the odds they turn it around against those teams?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
On one hand you're probably right but on the other hand I always think of the Kings being the 8th seed and winning the cup so I think there's that "make the playoffs, get hot and see what happens" idea in GMs' heads.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

If NYR dealt those guys, would they be the first team to engage in the kind of pragmatic rebuild (ditching your mid-age guys before their salary outweighs their worth and because they’ll be older/beat up by the time the team is actually competitive) that only exists in theoretical discussions? It’s kind of interesting because more teams could do this but it basically never happens, largely because GMs remain convinced they’re one piece away or because they don’t want to risk pissing off the fans.

I mean, we poo poo on Holmgren all the time, but he did turn Richards and Carter into what, Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek and Couturier?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DuhSal posted:

Yea I know :(

I agree that they shouldn't make a move like that now anyway. They need help on D for sure, but I don't think it's a good idea to trade for a big name and give up someone like Nylander or Marner. I feel like maybe they can get some middle/bottom pairing guys to help the depth and continue with Rielly, Gardiner and develop Dermott. I don't think they're a contender yet so it doesn't make sense to me to make some big rush move.

I’d be looking for a D equivalent of the Brian Boyle deal from last year. A 2nd/3rd pairing dude who can kill penalties and has absolutely no PP abilities because any skill in that area would just drive up the price for a redundant skill. A poor man’s Hainsey or a rich man’s Polak.

For a bigger deal, trading Marner/Nylander just seems like plugging one hole by opening another so I’d hope an offer would be topped out at something like Kap, a 1st and a B forward. If that doesn’t get anyone good then they’re probably better standing pat.

But I hunk the appetite for that has gone down since even a couple weeks ago as Dermott looks better than expected.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

on spec posted:

when you think about it, its pretty weird that maurice gets the mid season nod for jack adams but bruce cassidy doesnt. i could coach the wpg jets to being good, their roster is good. maybe the biigeest fault of the jets, is their coaching and inconsistent results from key defenseman. anywyas. bruce cassidy is coaching a team that has riley nash as its third line center and danton heinen and jake debrusk as 2 of its most reliable forwards and charlie mcavoy as its number 1 d (chara just plays a hwole bunch of pk).

There is a 100% chance thw Jack Adams winner is Gallant, so I'm not sure why anyone else matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Levitate posted:

I think they've just been so inconsistent this year and their depth is pretty thin and they completely poo poo themselves whenever they play a team like pittsburgh or Columbus or the Islanders and probably the Caps so it's like what are the odds they turn it around against those teams?

The flipside is the Jackets are typically good for one absolute, complete 3rd period meltdown against the Rangers a year, it seems, and it feels like those types of things can turn a series on its head sometimes.

• Locked thread