Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Podima posted:

I've always kind of left twilight as an opportunity for people to make up posts - because surely someone lurking through the day and then spamming a bunch of posts (game-related or not) right after hammer is suspicious enough that the thread will comment on it and act accordingly, right? But yeah I hear what you're saying, preliminary-talk does let someone kind of coast on mechanical chitchat. It's good feedback.

Funny thing was I was more stringent when counting number of posts by actually combing through people that were on the edge and seeing when the first day post was and if there were any that were just bs empty noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Podima posted:

P.S. Endgame is slightly updated, RF chose to be a filthy rotten turncoat instead of taking a honorable death! ;)

Much better!

Bif, you were very, very, EXCEPTIONALLY good in this game as a player, but you were not a great leader and I'm off to drink margaritas on the beach now.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Retro Futurist posted:

Much better!

Bif, you were very, very, EXCEPTIONALLY good in this game as a player, but you were not a great leader and I'm off to drink margaritas on the beach now.

To be fair she also basically had Grima Wormtounge in her ear as well.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Retro Futurist posted:

Much better!

How would you know you weren’t in the thread?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Birdstrike posted:

How would you know you weren’t in the thread?

I was there once I knew it existed :colbert:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Podima posted:

I've always kind of left twilight as an opportunity for people to make up posts - because surely someone lurking through the day and then spamming a bunch of posts (game-related or not) right after hammer is suspicious enough that the thread will comment on it and act accordingly, right?

If any of that were true, you wouldn't need lurker rules in the first place?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Priiiiiiiiiince play some more Mafia :dance:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
Now that my week probation is up, I wanted to chime in and say I thought it was classy on both their parts that KB brought up the tremendous imbalance in their advisors, and that Bif didn’t. Yall are a lot more patient than I would have been with that. The way things were, it was basically an RNG deciding what abilities and alignments the advisors have. They chose people they wanted to work with, sure, but those people’s alignments and abilities were RNG’d and the selection was 1) uninformed and 2) permanent.

Especially given that this was a single-use closed setup, there could have been more design put into it than that. Preset advisor alignments and/or abilities, the ability to choose them later, the ability to change advisors, anything would have been better balanced than just random assignment.

BUT I can see why that element of randomness could have been desirable from a design perspective. And it wasn’t like it couldn’t have been played through. Setup definitely didn’t cause bif to railroad an advisor D1, and it apparently didn’t prevent KB from doubting Kash’s alignment.

that was my only real gripe about what was otherwise a fun game. most of my other frustrations with this game stemmed from schedule conflicts making it hard to keep up, and from again trying my best to play scum against the freakin’ sherlock holmes of sa mafia. you’re a machine KB, much respect

oh also Bif, quid WAS paying attention to your instructions, he was trying to use the :ese: smiley to say we thought FL was an advisor. thats understandable you didn’t catch it though since we were improvising. your code was brilliant and super useful.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
oh KB did you pick up on the subtle nod to Shine 3 that I put in my flavor when I went loud? Something about you killing my family. The scumteam I was on was flavored as being a mom and her three sons.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Also I kinda hosed up asking to be in the front row. I figured it’d get me off on the right foot wrt being percieved as towny, and by all indications it did, but it also meant I couldn’t do jack poo poo other than my prelim ability, since my melee ability did no damage. Definitely a poor choice on my part.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Moatillata posted:

Also

YPM, Peck, OMG, Quid

You guys were awesome scumbuds and scum chat was a hell of a good time. Hope you all had as much fun as I did

same; did

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

Just got to this section of the scum doc. Rofl, thanks guys. :)

I’m glad you appreciated that haha

And sorry for the harsh words, they were borne of stress and frustration and in retrospect I don’t stand by them; this game was plenty fun.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Also for my 2c on the nightkill vs battle powers I think the nightmaim is fine, but we needed more options in battle. That was partly my fault as I said, asking for a position that made my big gun ability useless. But like Pod said, Max Peck got a double ability buff and still couldn’t kill someone on his own :shrug:

I don’t really know what the answer is; maybe more scum options in battle, maybe more damage, maybe a fatigued/exhausted mechanism to cause more rotations and more use of players of questionable alignment in battle. I definitely think the latter is a good idea. I’d go so far as to say consider making it so that you straight-up can’t send the same person into battle twice in a row. That’d drive some strategizing and counter-strategy on the leaders’ part about stacking the field with powerful/towny people versus spreading them out.

Idk, this is all just brain farts on my part, I have nothing but the utmost respect for the amount of work the mods put into planning this. Thanks yall

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 26, 2018

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Now that my week probation is up, I wanted to chime in and say I thought it was classy on both their parts that KB brought up the tremendous imbalance in their advisors, and that Bif didn’t. Yall are a lot more patient than I would have been with that.

oh also Bif, quid WAS paying attention to your instructions, he was trying to use the :ese: smiley to say we thought FL was an advisor. thats understandable you didn’t catch it though since we were improvising. your code was brilliant and super useful.

ohhh I sure did in my confessionals and pivate channels, haha :v: ...at endgame anyway, once I got some hints as to just how much difference there really was. ....and I brought up pretty much every other thing I could think of... :v:

I noticed that about the smiley when I went through your scumchat! I didn't notice at all at the time though cause it was in the middle of the huge TX constitution meltdown and I'd already independently come to the same conclusion about FL. But it was really cool to discover that later.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oh KB did you pick up on the subtle nod to Shine 3 that I put in my flavor when I went loud? Something about you killing my family. The scumteam I was on was flavored as being a mom and her three sons.

oh also! I didn't know this was that kind of reference since I only got into Shine at part 4. But I loved the RP you did at the time, and it made me extra happy that I'd picked Kazuaki as your pigeon with the "lust for vengeance" ;)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I am definitely thinking about softening the restriction on what ranks people can hit

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's an idea. Give scum additional targeting options, not replacement targeting options. Hmmmmmm.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

in retrospect, the scum battle abilities were far too weak; they should have been more powerful and I would write them with the same targeting rules as town battle abilities, alongside a general scum rule that provides additional targeting actions. Then again, the elaborate writing would be slightly less necessary without rolecops.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Birdstrike posted:

I am definitely thinking about softening the restriction on what ranks people can hit

Soldiers game when birb

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

Give scum additional targeting options

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Idea: three advisors, one scum and two town. None confirmed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Little Mac posted:

i kinda like this

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

i kinda like this

I don't know. Seems like it would devolve into just taking out an advisor on D1 since the King would know that he has a 1 in 3 chance of hitting scum. And with just a little work he could probably bring it down to a pure coin flip.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMMadman posted:

I don't know. Seems like it would devolve into just taking out an advisor on D1

well, uh

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lol. Bif didn't know she had a 50/50 chance of hitting scum.

I just think telling a King with 3 advisors that one of them is scum isn't going to work.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It also confirms the other two once the scum one flips.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TMMadman posted:

Lol. Bif didn't know she had a 50/50 chance of hitting scum.

I just think telling a King with 3 advisors that one of them is scum isn't going to work.

Same. It focuses the leader on a subgame that no one else can play (without the leader revealing all their advisors, which is just kinda mean); it’s also kinda impossible to do while retaining the “king picks own advisors after game starts” thing that people suggested to remove some advisor role luck

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Podima posted:

It also confirms the other two once the scum one flips.

If you want it to be extra fun have it be certain that one advisor is scum and one is town, but make them both lynchproof.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If you want it to be extra fun have it be certain that one advisor is scum and one is town, but make them both lynchproof.

Could also keep them lynchable but janitor their flips.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Hah, I missed that.

---

And definitely prefer the picking advisers end game D1 to the one scum/two town adviser thing. More choice/skill/etc comes into play that way.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

could also wait to do assignments until after selection and then "fudge" it so that you get one scum advisor and two town advisor but not confirm it either way

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Little Mac posted:

I’ll take this one further and say let them draft all advisors (two, three, whatever), RNG which one is scum, and then keep the leaders in the dark about the whole process

basically make it outwardly appear the same way this one did, but add a little more structure behind the curtain to avoid the possibility of the sort of wild disparity we had

TMMadman posted:

I don't know. Seems like it would devolve into just taking out an advisor on D1 since the King would know that he has a 1 in 3 chance of hitting scum. And with just a little work he could probably bring it down to a pure coin flip.

that’s why you don’t give them any clue as to this mechanic other than knowing they have a scum on the inside of the other team

if it’s a single-use closed setup, you have near total control over what folks know about setup, why not use it?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

oh daaaamn so the king just has to figure out who to ignore and who to listen to. that’s crafty

the town advisor might have to be nk-proof like the king too, though

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

So how will Shine VI top this????

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Quidthulhu posted:

So how will Shine VI top this????

being a 5 man game

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Moatillata posted:

Soldiers game when birb

sometime after Mafia Gear Solid 2: V: The Phantom Claim

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
okay i got it

hold the gently caress up

a soldiers cult game where the scum/cult team are MSF abducting town into their base and because they're stealthy and poo poo team town doesn't get to see who they're actually fighting, but the game continues as normal

with hot cold man and big boss are the two leads ensuring everyone wins

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I had floated the idea in deadchat at one point of dead people becoming a third faction, like, zombies or something. I think that could be fun! I don't know how you would resolve that threat, though. Purely battle?

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism

Gamerofthegame posted:

okay i got it

hold the gently caress up

a soldiers cult game where the scum/cult team are MSF abducting town into their base and because they're stealthy and poo poo team town doesn't get to see who they're actually fighting, but the game continues as normal

with hot cold man and big boss are the two leads ensuring everyone wins

Please stay out of birb and I’s private chats tyvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Quidthulhu posted:

I had floated the idea in deadchat at one point of dead people becoming a third faction, like, zombies or something. I think that could be fun! I don't know how you would resolve that threat, though. Purely battle?

Something like this :P

• Locked thread