Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I appreciate that I can turn down the graphics enough that it looks like I am playing a 3DS game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

As someone who massively appreciates sp fg content this game makes me so happy. The story is a little limp so far but it’s charming and fun. That’s all I ask for. Also apparently it’s like 20 hours long so that’s cool. Game is good.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Actually I suppose my real question is, how do I even begin to start getting better? Do I want to learn B&Bs? Do I want to keep with the auto combos and figure out mixups first?

Like I'm just genuinely confused on what point of my game to work on first.

play some random online matches and see what is hardest for you, and go from there

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
No Roshi as DLC is some buuuuuullshit.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Natural 20 posted:

Actually I suppose my real question is, how do I even begin to start getting better? Do I want to learn B&Bs? Do I want to keep with the auto combos and figure out mixups first?

Like I'm just genuinely confused on what point of my game to work on first.

IMO, I'd say start with learning how to consistently block and punish w/ auto-combos, then learn neutral (as in, how to get random hits when neither of you have the advantage, which will involve some mixups), then learn actual combos and go from there. In a game without auto-combos, I'd say learn combos earlier, but here it's not as urgent. It doesn't matter what combos you can do if you never get the chance to do them.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
If Raditz made it into the next game's story mode, how hard would he be poo poo on in comparison to Yamcha and Nappa?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
aso whjat tehf uck, ican search ranked games only with players who are in teh same 64 player lobbi instead of like .. everyone??

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

It’s scarily easy to end up reliant on the super dash before you even realize what’s happening. I started out with the express goal of not using it or autocombos too much and thought I was doing fine until I ran into a dude who proceeded to 2H me so hard I’ve been in practice mode for the past hour instead of playing online. I’m shook

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
So maybe I'm just missing something but is there a way to access all the pre-order content if I got this game digitally? I'm on the PS4 version and I pre-ordered from Amazon, so I dunno if that's a factor or not

Game's fuckin' awesome though, Kid Buu and Beerus are so much fun

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

eonwe posted:

what would FUU stand for

I could figure out the rest of them

future master roshi

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

aso whjat tehf uck, ican search ranked games only with players who are in teh same 64 player lobbi instead of like .. everyone??

well that seems pointles

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
How is this game as far as balancing goes? I remember getting that newer JoJo game some time back and the balancing was so horrible it was utterly unplayable, purely shallow game. This seems like a product designed around the anime/license so if anyone thats playing it, could chime in. Would prefer the info in FG terms, like MvC1 level of unbalanced or MvC2 level of unbalance or CvS2 balance or what. Im feeling the answer is still get Tekken no matter what?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I have yet to see a move that infinitely comboes into itself like in that jojos game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

How is this game as far as balancing goes? I remember getting that newer JoJo game some time back and the balancing was so horrible it was utterly unplayable, purely shallow game. This seems like a product designed around the anime/license so if anyone thats playing it, could chime in. Would prefer the info in FG terms, like MvC1 level of unbalanced or MvC2 level of unbalance or CvS2 balance or what. Im feeling the answer is still get Tekken no matter what?
arcsys is pretty good at blaance, unlike cyberconnect 2, who are very bad at balance

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dude it's literally day one

months into MvC2 people still thought Iceman was top tier

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

dude it's literally day one

months into MvC2 people still thought Iceman was top tier

dude people didnt realize iceman wasnt top tier until like year 3.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's literally day 1 so what we've seen won't mean jack long-term but the balance seems pretty alright so far and the game's not remotely shallow

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is anyone having trouble getting into a match? PC version. queued up for 15 minutes

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

eonwe posted:

is anyone having trouble getting into a match? PC version. queued up for 15 minutes

Seems to be based on the lobby, one of the other 63 players needs to be queuing up for the same thing as you.

I got into a couple matches but we had bad connections with eachother.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

everything about online that's not actually being in a match sounds like a drat mess

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm reaching the same point in this that I reached in MvC when I stopped playing. The game's pace just seems way too fast for me sometimes. I completely crumble against pressure. No idea how people can react to random lows. I'm getting trounced pretty consistently.

Gonna keep playin' though.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Endorph posted:

arcsys is pretty good at blaance, unlike cyberconnect 2, who are very bad at balance

The GG series game tourneys tend to be dominated by one character though? You mean they drastically improved recently? Not trying to start poo poo, just curious mostly. Good to hear it's not another JoJo-type cash-in.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

turnways posted:

Not in front of the game right now, but I'm pretty sure you can hit up fight matchmaking from an offline lobby; the only difference between online and offline lobbies is seeing other dudes run around, I believe.

Nope, the hub is the same but there's no guy in front of the arena or the world match areas or whatever, just local play.

Brother Entropy posted:

everything about online that's not actually being in a match sounds like a drat mess

Pretty much yeah. The game is pretty sweet if you can actually get into one, but good luck with that poo poo. I'm kind of regretting not waiting for a steam sale to get this since I can barely play the one part of the game I bought early to make the best of, but at least I got a good 15% or so off with the Humble Monthly discount.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 27, 2018

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Supersonic Shine posted:

If Raditz made it into the next game's story mode, how hard would he be poo poo on in comparison to Yamcha and Nappa?

Worse than Nappa but not as much as Yamcha. So like power levels.

The GG series game tourneys tend to be dominated by one character though? You mean they drastically improved recently? Not trying to start poo poo, just curious mostly. Good to hear it's not another JoJo-type cash-in.

It took two years but Elphelt did get nerfed yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elphelt was pretty busted in Xrd but there were other characters that could complete and Rev 2 is fairly balanced. And some of the earlier GG iterations were also pretty balanced.

The JoJo games aren't really 'cash ins,' but they're made for fanservice, not actual gameplay or competitive balance. This game has fanservice, but it's made by a developer with actual history and experience in fighting games, and meant to actually have depth and be played competitively.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Clever Spambot posted:

Seems to be based on the lobby, one of the other 63 players needs to be queuing up for the same thing as you.

I got into a couple matches but we had bad connections with eachother.

Arena Match is Lobby matching.

Ring Match is Friend matching.

Ranked/Casual Match is Worldwide.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah that was never a thing even when Elphelt was good.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Eej posted:

Arena Match is Lobby matching.

Ring Match is Friend matching.

Ranked/Casual Match is Worldwide.

Ah ok, i assumed casual was lobby based because it kept trying to match me with the same like 2 guys.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I'm reaching the same point in this that I reached in MvC when I stopped playing. The game's pace just seems way too fast for me sometimes. I completely crumble against pressure. No idea how people can react to random lows. I'm getting trounced pretty consistently.

It's usually easier to block low by default and react to highs than the other way around, at least in 2D fighters from my experience.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

this fixed itself for me

also I got my first online win ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need to practice the QCF + A and QCF + B

somehow meteor smash is easier for me to pull off

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Haha same. Against even decent ai I basically freeze and get exposed from every angle :shrug: oh well it’s still flashy and cool and full of kamehamehas

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

this is one of the worst characters in xrd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR5Y2xH1TnE

He went on to win the whole tournmament vs one of the games best played by one of the best players in the country

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You don't react to lows, you just block low by default.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, lows are too fast. Overheads and jumping attacks are a lot more reactable.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

where the gently caress is mercenary tao

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
why are there like 6 different types of lobbies what is wrong with japanese devs and why is the netcode so wack

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

turnways posted:

Not in front of the game right now, but I'm pretty sure you can hit up fight matchmaking from an offline lobby; the only difference between online and offline lobbies is seeing other dudes run around, I believe.

Any idea how? I'm not seeing a way to do it. I ran through the first campaign but the CPU basically doesn't fight back and I'm bored. Every PC lobby is constantly full, so it seems like being able to play versus people is out

Edit: honestly how do I actually play versus people on PC considering it's impossible to get into a lobby? When I first started it earlier today it put me in an auto matched lobby, but now it's just dumping me to the lobby list

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 27, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Any word about more lobbies, DI support for PC, or anything?

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Any idea how? I'm not seeing a way to do it. I ran through the first campaign but the CPU basically doesn't fight back and I'm bored. Every PC lobby is constantly full, so it seems like being able to play versus people is out

Edit: honestly how do I actually play versus people on PC considering it's impossible to get into a lobby? When I first started it earlier today it put me in an auto matched lobby, but now it's just dumping me to the lobby list

Switch to Asia, the world battle matchmaker doesn't seem to care and some of those are still open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh, I wouldn't have thought of that!