Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

gary oldmans diary posted:

if the sun had an atmosphere that reached just almost to the earth then you yeah you would only have to decelerate a little to get into that and then you would inevitably get sucked down into the sun (youre thinking about how things work on earth)
but instead there is a vacuum and you just orbit on whatever elliptical path you start on

The sun has a massive radius though (I assume this is what the other goon was referring to). Generally the calculations are done treating the sun as a point mass and neglecting its radius because it is easier. Even factoring in the sun's radius the amount of energy required to send stuff out is less than into the sun.

The other wrinkle would be allowing for gravity assists which can substantially reduce the energy requirement for either option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
KSP teaches me that you don't need to do a straight dive but nonetheless it is still a poo poo ton more delta V than you need to get on an escape trajectory from the system.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

https://twitter.com/CarlosMatos80/status/956699333101084672

:xd:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

let it mellow posted:

wasn’t there some early buttcoiner who was going to become god through guitar and butts?

He also loved riding his motorbike on LSD.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

if the sun had an atmosphere that reached just almost to the earth then you yeah you would only have to decelerate a little to get into that and then you would inevitably get sucked down into the sun (youre thinking about how things work on earth)
but instead there is a vacuum and you just orbit on whatever elliptical path you start on

I mean sort of, but consider that the sun is spitting out so much mass as solar wind you can use a literal sail to accelerate a satellite.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

The sun has a massive radius though (I assume this is what the other goon was referring to). Generally the calculations are done treating the sun as a point mass and neglecting its radius because it is easier. Even factoring in the sun's radius the amount of energy required to send stuff out is less than into the sun.

The other wrinkle would be allowing for gravity assists which can substantially reduce the energy requirement for either option.

The sun is huge, but it's still relatively small compared to the distances being discussed (such as Earth to Sun). So he's right, diving into the sun doesn't mean adjusting your orbital velocity to 0 with infinite accuracy, merely very close to 0 with a very high degree of accuracy will suffice.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I like the question asking him if he’s a soy boy and he says he’s into soy protein for exercise

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Eh, either way you get hosed.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Thank you all for keeping this thread about orbital mechanics and not about filthy cryptocurrencies.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Remember Alpha Mayo

The bitch who tried to mess with Bitcoin, and got cryptowned :boom:

Have you bought your Bitcoin yet, citizen?
i own all the btitcoin, i decided not to crash the market for all the guys just borrowing them from me

proof:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Thank you all for keeping this thread about orbital mechanics and not about filthy cryptocurrencies.

Eh I think it's still relevant, we were just talking about the bitcoin satellite

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TVsVeryOwn posted:

It’s all noise, I just skip 30 pages

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think we should send this thread into the sun

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The recent posts in this thread have illustrated the cult-like, other-izing tendencies of bitcoiners. People making fun of bitcoin are at worst doing just that; they laugh at the scams, they laugh at the people who are gambling way more than they can afford to lose, and they laugh at how seriously bad the protocol is at doing its purported job. But from them I don't think that I've ever sensed ill will like the kind that regularly comes from the legit bitcoin followers, posters like AARO and ghosTTy, who seem to actually hate anyone who hasn't fully committed to the cult like they have.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

meanwhile we have this live feed from satoshi's inner sanctum

https://i.imgur.com/x0qOjjF.mp4

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

The sun has a massive radius though
compared to earths orbit ok that shaves off 4 tenths of a percent. this changes everything

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

:eyepop:

Today it is Saturday, January 27 - this is good for Bitcoin.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

The recent posts in this thread have illustrated the cult-like, other-izing tendencies of bitcoiners. People making fun of bitcoin are at worst doing just that; they laugh at the scams, they laugh at the people who are gambling way more than they can afford to lose, and they laugh at how seriously bad the protocol is at doing its purported job. But from them I don't think that I've ever sensed ill will like the kind that regularly comes from the legit bitcoin followers, posters like AARO and ghosTTy, who seem to actually hate anyone who hasn't fully committed to the cult like they have.

The hate is much stronger from the "nocoiners" compared to the bitcoiners. You're up there in the top 5. Just my 2cents from the outside looking in.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the bitcoin bros on reddit are legit mad at being laughed at for years. here i think only ham sandwiches is really sour as you can see when he lets slip his persecuted portrayals of these threads
pretty sure ghostty is doing another flavor of what comfy is doing. if anyone is lashing out at nocoiners in earnest they need to work on that because it looks like satire. who is aaro?
as for laughing at bitcoin and bitcoinfolk -who in their right mind could blame someone for doing that? its one hilarity after another

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Aaro was getting real butthurt in the altcoin thread but I think in the end he said he sold most/all of his coins

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I think the nocoiners can be quite rude.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I refuse to play the NYT style "let's find out how Trump voters REALLY feel, maybe it is them who are right and us who are wrong??" game with Bitcoin. Bitcoin is dumb and you are dumb if you think it's good. Thank you and goodnight.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Alpha Mayo posted:

http://bit.ly/2GeeCGl

Toxxing myself that Bitcoin goes below 9900 on GDAX before this timer is up :toxx:

My assumption is the price will be walked down :tinfoil:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

:golfclap:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
26/01/18 never forget

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What is bitcoin at right now? Is it doing wel

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Fartbox posted:

Better than ever now that the chief saboteur AlphaMayo has been dealt with

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Fartbox posted:

It's basically been around $11-13K over the last couple of weeks.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Inept posted:

fake news XEM fine

haha how has this random shitcoin not completely collapsed and people moved on to something else. crypto speculation is so loving dumb

edit: since the article was posted it has gone back up and is only down 9% lmao

Update: XEM is now above where it was before news broke about $450 million being stolen. Theft only makes crypto stronger.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
don't dox me

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
CRUSH THE SABOTEURS

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

compared to earths orbit ok that shaves off 4 tenths of a percent. this changes everything

Ya I agree it is tiny, which is why when this problem is given to physics students to solve point mass approximation is perfectly fine. The bigger game changer would be allowing gravity assists....But can the bitcoin satellite wait for the proper launch window and alignment? Probably not :)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

zaurg posted:

The hate is much stronger from the "nocoiners" compared to the bitcoiners. You're up there in the top 5. Just my 2cents from the outside looking in.

I'm in complete disbelief. Can you find and provide an example where I've expressed hate toward someone simply for owning cryptocurrency?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raldikuk posted:

Ya I agree it is tiny, which is why when this problem is given to physics students to solve point mass approximation is perfectly fine. The bigger game changer would be allowing gravity assists....But can the bitcoin satellite wait for the proper launch window and alignment? Probably not :)

Also I'm 99% certain that when there was a reddit thread talking about it the bitcoin satellite people were adamantly against having fuel for orbital maneuvers. The argument was basically "that's expensive, the other satellites will just have to avoid us"

Perfect libertarian argument

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

I'm in complete disbelief. Can you find and provide an example where I've expressed hate toward someone simply for owning cryptocurrency?
You told me that posting here was a "bad life choice". Pretty mean-spirited imho.

QuarkJets posted:

Moxxis my friend posting in this thread instead of moving to Hawaii and becoming a pro surfer is a bad life choice on your part. Arguably that applies to all of us but you could actually afford to do it so you should.
BTW I do swim every day, gotta keep my figure. For the record I don't think Hawaii needs any more white people gentrifying it.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

When space libertarians become a thing I’m going to start a kickstarter to launch bricks into orbit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moxxis Endowment posted:

You told me that posting here was a "bad life choice". Pretty mean-spirited imho.

I said that probably no one should be posting on these dead gay forums, but especially people who have enough money to be able to do whatever they want. I wasn't suggesting that we expel the people buying and selling cryptocurrencies

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

I said that probably no one should be posting on these dead gay forums, but especially people who have enough money to be able to do whatever they want. I wasn't suggesting that we expel the people buying and selling cryptocurrencies
Lol 1.7 mil isn't anywhere enough money to do "whatever you want", especially when you're only in your late 20s. A condo in my city alone will eat nearly half that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Lol 1.7 mil isn't anywhere enough money to do "whatever you want", especially when you're only in your late 20s. A condo in my city alone will eat nearly half that.

You must be terribly bad with money. Which might explain your interest in bitcoins.