Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:tipshat: thank you friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

I'm guessing Nagata will take Kojima's spot for most of the New Beginning matches as rn he's only scheduled for Osaka vs. Kitamura. Wonder what they'll do for Kitamura's match on the second Korakuen?

if Nakanishi isn't penciled in as his final opponent, I imagine him. Otherwise, David Finlay? He's the only heavyweight Sekigun foreigner not scheduled to face him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I was wondering if Kitamura was slated to to go 0-6 before beating Nakanishi to end the series with his first win against a veteran.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

St Evan Echoes posted:

:tipshat: thank you friend

I think it was Marc Maron who watched that during his podcast and commentened over it. if you can find a version with that voice over, its even funnier.

I've seen clips of Great Antonio and he does the same schtick where he takes all this abuse from dudes and then does a bodyslam, 1-2-3.

The only reason the ref stopped that poo poo was because Antonio was legit KO'd and Inoki still kicked him a few more times.

Great piece of wrestling history.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011

coconono posted:

I think it was Marc Maron who watched that during his podcast and commentened over it. if you can find a version with that voice over, its even funnier.

I've seen clips of Great Antonio and he does the same schtick where he takes all this abuse from dudes and then does a bodyslam, 1-2-3.

The only reason the ref stopped that poo poo was because Antonio was legit KO'd and Inoki still kicked him a few more times.

Great piece of wrestling history.

It was Bill Burr.

https://youtu.be/hWsoSmGfmdY

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I have no sympathy for The Great Antonio in that match because it's not the no-selling that sets Inoki off, it's loving shoot-rabbit punching him like 4 times.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kawato makes his CMLL debut next tuesday

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We got one Hiromu in the ring with Police Man once, I believe lightning can strike twice.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kawato just working Puebla shows would be the best wouldn't it?

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

This match always makes me feel sad. When I was about seven I saw Great Antonio do his strong man schtick where he pulled a greyhound bus down the street. It was like finding the god particle, proof that wrestling wasn't "fake" like my dad said it was. I never saw him actually wrestle and do this King Hippo poo poo until at least 20 years or so later, so he was a mythical figure to me. Watching Inoki kick his rear end is like watching someone beat up the Easter Bunny or something.

Lot of rumors about what Great Antonio's fate was, I heard he died homeless in a doorway somewhere in Canada.I know Brett Hart tried to find out at one point since he had been a big attraction for Stu in the seventies, but couldn't find out for sure what became of him. That was probably seven or eight years ago last I looked though.

I've heard Meltzer mention offhand a few times that Inoki double crossed people in the ring more than once and benefited greatly from it ala Maeda and Takada in terms of reputation. Aside from this and I guess the Ali fight, what are the other ones? Would those even count as double crosses? Inoki did actually try to work a match there with Great Antonio, and cooperated fully until the crowd started laughing. There's the one with Bruno too but that didn't work out like Inoki had hoped.

There is a justified tendency to look at Inoki as one of the all time Carny Motherfuckers, but the balls on that guy. Who the gently caress looks at Muhammad Ali and Bruno Sammartino and thinks "yeah, I can gently caress around with these dudes"???

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Inoki has always been batshit.

Dude got into a fist fight with Tiger Jeet Singh and hired him on the spot.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Inoki is the best.

I'll always remember him for his role in bad news bears go to Japan.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/jaudiowrestling/status/956680986225393665

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

Inoki has always been batshit.

Dude got into a fist fight with Tiger Jeet Singh and hired him on the spot.

Gentle reminder that Inoki converted to Islam essentially to promote fights in the Middle East. And that he keeps getting pressure to please kindly stop going to North Korea as a Japanese politician, thanks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Inoki is almost too crazy for the Make Japan Great Again party.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

Inoki is almost too crazy for the Make Japan Great Again party.

You presume Inoki values Japan over himself.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Inoki for XFL 2 Commissioner!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
For those who don't know, MassRafTer isn't just making a joke. Inoki was elected to his current position as a member of Nippon Ishin no Kai - a right-wing party, led by a mouthy former TV personality, with a name that could reasonably (albeit with a hint of artistic license) be translated as the Make Japan Great Again party. They've since merged and split and shut down and restarted and renamed and re-renamed themselves, as Japanese political parties are wont to do.

Inoki is now with the Liberal Democratic Party (Japan's most mainstream right-wing party), but for a little before joining the LDP, he started his own party - "The Assembly to Energize Japan" - playing off of his catchphrase of pretty much shouting "HOW YA DOIN'?" at people (it's a much more direct reference in Japanese).

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Between this thread and Super Bunnyhop's podcast I know 1000% more about Japanese politics than I did a month ago.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Cards have been updated following Kojima's injuiry. Nakanishi has filled in his spot on all streamed cards including the singles match with Kitamura on the second Korakuen.

First show of the tour is tomorrow. Aside from the main event which has always been amazing in the past we'll also get to see Jay White wrestle for the first time as a member of CHAOS.

New Beginning In Sapporo Day 1
January 27th at 4 AM EST/9 AM GMT
Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center

Kitamura Trial Series - Match 2 of 7 Katsuya Kitamura vs. Michael Elgin
Nakanishi, KUSHIDA, Liger, and TMIV vs. Suzuki-gun (Iizuka, Taichi, Despy, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano) vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens)
NEVER Openweight Trios Championship:Bullet Club (c) (Fale and GoD) vs. Taguchi Japan (Taguchi, Makabe, and Henare)
Kota Ibushi, Juice Robinson, and David Finlay vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Marty Scurll, and Hangman Page)
CHAOS (Will Ospreay and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu)
CHAOS (Okada, Goto, and Gedo) vs. L.I.J (EVIL, SANADA, and BUSHI)
CHAOS (Jay White, SHO, and YOH) vs. Bullet Club (Omega and Bucks)
IWGP IC Championship:Hiroshi Tanahashi(c) vs. Minoru Suzuki

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thauros posted:

CHAOS (Will Ospreay and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu)

I wonder how it feels to be YOSHI-HASHI and know you're the 5th most important person in this match, after a stuffed cat?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder how it feels to be YOSHI-HASHI and know you're the 5th most important person in this match, after a stuffed cat?

If Red Shoes is the ref then he drops to sixth

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Elite vs. R3K/White looks like a ridiculously fun match

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Japan world has Evil/Sanada vs Aussie Open up but not Suzuki/ZSJ vs Bate/Seven as of yet

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

IT'S A NEW BEGINNING, YES IT IS

Who of my fine fellow SWOLE VAMPIRE fans are watching on this fine Saturday morning, evening or perhaps night if you are in the States?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I am here to watch the SWOLE VAMPIRE continue his mighty quest :hfive:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

:hfive: I hope he eats Big Idiot Elgin alive

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I enjoy the crowd cheering whenever Kitamura bounces his pecs

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extradite THIS! posted:

I enjoy the crowd cheering whenever Kitamura bounces his pecs

Same.

Also does it seem a bit empty to me?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

looks like they didn't sell the upper deck at all, which I think was also the case last year. It'll be interesting to compare the attendance for the split shows with weaker cards thsi year compared to last year's pretty stacked sapporo show.

NJPW "THE NEW BEGINNING IN SAPPORO ~RESURRECTION! SAPPORO SNOW BATTLE~", 05.02.2017 (WPW/TV Asahi Ch. 2/NJPW World)
Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center
5,545 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado besiegen KUSHIDA & Hirai Kawato (7:34) nach dem Guitarra de Angel von Desperado gegen Kawato.
2. Yuji Nagata, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima besiegen Yoshitatsu, Henare & Tomoyuki Oka (7:48) nach dem Nagata Lock von Nagata gegen Oka.
3. Will Ospreay, Jado & Gedo besiegen Katsuyori Shibata, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask (6:47) nach dem Os Cutter von Ospreay gegen Tiger.
4. YOSHI-HASHI besiegt Takashi Iizuka (7:00) mit dem Karma.
5. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin, Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee CMLL (Mexiko) besiegen Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, "King of Darkness" EVIL, Hiromu Takahashi & BUSHI (13:03) nach dem Desnucadora von Lee gegen BUSHI.
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Rocky Romero & Beretta (c) besiegen TAKA Michinoku KAIENTAI DOJO & Taichi (13:37) als Beretta TAKA nach dem Strong Zero pinnte (1st defense).
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Hirooki Goto (c) besiegt Juice Robinson (14:41) mit dem GTR (1st defense).
8. IWGP Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Toru Yano & Tomohiro Ishii (c) besiegen Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma and Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (13:35) nach einem Horizontal Cradle von Yano gegen Makabe (1st defense).
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) besiegt Minoru Suzuki (40:46) mit dem Rainmaker (3rd defense).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Man I really hate liking Elgin's wrestling as much as I do. Really too bad he's a douche.

Edit: :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You are not a Swole Vampire, Michael Elgin, you're not a swole vampire at all :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) besiegt Minoru Suzuki (40:46) mit dem Rainmaker (3rd defense).

The match itself wasn't as good as others Okada had that year, but man the hype going into that match from his attack at New Year's Dash was the loving best.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This just part of the process. Trust the Process.

I like Don talking about being Swole and Yoked.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
YES Finger of Doom!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
oh no Taichi's drunk dads have ruined his recital :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ElNarez posted:

oh no Taichi's drunk dads have ruined his recital :(

The girl recoiling in fear at the interruption was great.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That chair shot from Iizuka was tasty

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Lmao what a counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This is getting real good y'all