Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Dusty Lens posted:

Is there a Greek legend about a man who tries to piss on a fire and Zeus curses him to never be able to stop pissing and also his piss is now gasoline?

Because if there is I'm really surprised by how well it lines up with what's happening here. Really makes you think.

theres a certain leader of the free world that would enjoy this story and would like to participate

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

his nibs posted:

"The opposition rambles over ground not set forth clearly or at all in the FAC. By repeatedly attempting to justify getting waved through Rule 12 by arguing phantom allegations, by proffering absurd interpretations of now-revealed plain contract language, by asserting ever-shifting claims for copyright infringement without identifying the allegedly infringing works, and by seeking remedies that are palpably improper under black letter law (e.g., punitive damages for breach of contract and statutory damages for pre-registration infringement), the opposition demonstrates that both efforts at pleading in this case have been an unmanageable, incoherent mess unworthy of proceeding beyond the pleading stage and all of the attendant time and expense thereafter.

The Court should straighten that mess by granting the motion"

:allears:
They're going full free man on land.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I want a Skadden response just because CIG will then have to respond again, just to have the last word before Feb 9th.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Boy, I can't wait for another exciting Leonard French video where he takes Ortwin's arguments at face value and reassures the backers that this will be dismissed.

Instead of the more likely scenario, where it will be pushed forward by a judge with reason to be irritated with the actions of the defendant and their council. That's always a good way to start things!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This is as far as they get, precisely because courts don't want a slapfight in the filings. Save it for the trial :haw:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqQP4AT5MOo&t=28s

:gary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqQP4AT5MOo&t=180s

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Pixelate posted:

Says the imaginary tank.

look at how excited this dude is to be funding a drawn-out legal battle with his spaceship money.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Karl, Moma congrats on the gold plated Space Marshall outfits guys.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

look at how excited this dude is to be funding a drawn-out legal battle with his spaceship money.

You don't get the best drat spaceship game ever without owning jealous competitors in court, sir. It's an expected cost of game development; the waving-your-dick-around budget.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Did they bump Wing Commander up to $15000 from $10000. If so that's a hearty guffaw from me.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

"These are new backpedaling arguments that Crytek improperly attempts to raise"

The judge is going to love this.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I really appreciate the titles given to the different backing tiers. It's like being able to self-select your level of mental illness in the DSM without needing professional diagnosis.

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009
I dunno guys i feel like a person's evaluations of these legal filings track pretty closely with a person's preexisting biases re: star citizen has anyone else noticed this

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Legatus Navium

Anagram Solution

unglue atavism
simulant vague
mangiest uvula
gives autumnal
sum evaluating
vagina mutules
vaulting amuse
vulgus animate

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

AP posted:

Legatus Navium

Anagram Solution

unglue atavism
simulant vague
mangiest uvula
gives autumnal
sum evaluating
vagina mutules
vaulting amuse
vulgus animate
Most of those were featured is AtV or the RSI forums. Even vaulting.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

kw0134 posted:

This would be an interesting argument to make were this a motion for summary judgment. It's not! You cannot claim there's no case by deciding it on its merits on a Motion to Dismiss! These are things you have to decide with a trial because there's a genuine controversy as to law and the facts. This is not the place to make such arguments, all Crytek has to do is allege that there is a breach of the contract and the case can go forward because that's the entire loving point of the lawsuit in the first place.

in fact, by arguing facts of the case, they are basically encouraging the judge not to dismiss, by pointing out there are arguable facts. :v:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That reddit thread discussing this is good for a few laughs.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
I appreciate that in these trying times CIG has reached out and hired North Korean news copy editors to word their legal responses.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

mangiest uvula
Mods? My name?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TOO

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
proofread your god drat poo poo CIG, you have 180 million loving dollars.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

You have to make a choice: Ensuring passwords don't show up in urls or proofreading blurbs that associated with people who have spent $25000 on your video game.

You can only polish one pipeline at a time.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Ramadu posted:

theres a certain leader of the free world that would enjoy this story and would like to participate

I tought macron's fetish was just old ladies.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

SoftNum posted:

in fact, by arguing facts of the case, they are basically encouraging the judge not to dismiss, by pointing out there are arguable facts. :v:
There probably won't be a transcript of the hearing but I almost expect the judge to go "really CIG? this is the best you've got? Motion denied. :nallears:"

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

proofread your god drat poo poo CIG, you have 180 million loving dollars.

You'd think they'd have a sytem in place to avoid poo poo like this happening

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Montoya is the exact kind of dipshit who (if he's not already $25k deep) would raise money to get Wingardium Leviosa status.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Montoya is the exact kind of dipshit who (if he's not already $25k deep) would raise money to get Wingardium Leviosa status.

If only you'd mentioned the opening doors spell, for their wallets.

:sigh:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Reddit made a metaphor.

IDRIS in the ocean

e: Probably triggered by Ortwin invading their dreams:

quote:

Under Crytek’s construction, CIG remains forever shackled to Crytek’s Engine, even if CIG has reason to believe Crytek is a sinking ship.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 27, 2018

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SelenicMartian posted:

They're going full free man on land.

What, like...

https://www.scribd.com/doc/262792039/gently caress-This-Court

I'm sure Chris Roberts can do better, if he takes an eight-hour break from coding subsumption and really gets into his ownage text generation.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
ACTUGAMING.NET: Sandro is asked about Star Citizen

quote:

I think this is a tricky question but we would like to hear your opinion on Star Citizen! What do you think ? How do you see Star Citizen deal with Elite Dangerous?

We are curious to play Star Citizen. We have said from the beginning that we can not put such a genre on the front of the stage with only one production. We're really happy to see this comeback of the space genre, from Elite Dangerous to No Man's Sky to Eve Valkyrie or Star Citizen . We are proud to have allowed and contributed to this return! The space is cool again!

If we speak now on a more comparative point of view, I can only say what defines Elite Dangerous - massively multiplayer, a true science of galactic design, a realistic physics, regular updates and a defined and rhythmic history by the player. We just want to make a great game for players who love gender genre(?) as much as we do. Shooter fans have plenty of alternatives in the end, and players have time to enjoy both Call of Duty and Battlefield.

Google translated from source, with what I assume are minor errors (the gender/genre one is a crack up.)

In contrast to CIG’s bluster, Sandro adopts Braben’s icy polite diplomacy on the topic; the snark is subtextual, deniability plausible.

We are curious to play Star Citizen.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

...Then, going for broke, he's basically claiming that because SQ42 is still in development, that it couldn't possibly be a breach of the GLA. I don't even...

I don't understand how Ortwin can even reasonably claim that they is CIG's plan. Isn't it normal to obtain a license for a product in development before investing significant resources into that product? Otherwise the licensor holds the (potential) licensee over a barrel.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Legatus Navium

Ahead of all others, except those who have spent MORE than $25,000 on a spaceship game that does not exist...

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good to know they are taking their security seriously

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ponzi posted:

I don't understand how Ortwin can even reasonably claim that they is CIG's plan. Isn't it normal to obtain a license for a product in development before investing significant resources into that product? Otherwise the licensor holds the (potential) licensee over a barrel.

I mean, who the hell knows what is in any given person's mind at any given time; but this might just be the chewbacca defense. Maybe the judge doesn't know enough about how this works, and will dismiss without prejudice until such time as an breech has occurred? It's kind of a long shot, but who knows. :shrug:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

On the other hand lazy typos and poo poo writing means that Ben is almost certainly still on the payroll so here's hoping we see him again soon.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If only you'd mentioned the opening doors spell, for their wallets.

:sigh:

Wingardium leviosa is legitimately the only Harry Potter thing I really know. My bad.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Wingardium leviosa is legitimately the only Harry Potter thing I really know. My bad.

Then best swish and flick your rear end back to the Harry Potter wiki until you know your poo poo.

People can read this forum you know. They can see how you're shaming us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Also there will be a pop quiz on Bionicle lore on page 3609.