Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The Franco stuff is weird because of all the rumours he’s gay.

In other news the leader of the Ontario Conservative party resigned in about 12 hours after allegations against him came up, just before the party forced him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

In other news the leader of the Ontario Conservative party resigned in about 12 hours after allegations against him came up, just before the party forced him out.

Interesting you mention that rumour, since I saw a headline the other day that said his "gay baiting won't cover his tracks".

sbaldrick posted:

Minister of Sports and Disabilities is done, as well.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Francos said things along the lines of "I'm gay right up until the point of sex" before, which ofc is horseshit. He's just a loving a creep.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Southpaugh posted:

Francos said things along the lines of "I'm gay right up until the point of sex" before, which ofc is horseshit. He's just a loving a creep.
Kinda sounds like a roundabout way to say "I only enjoy women for their bodies".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I have loved and had romantic encounters with women throughout my life but pretended to like men for attention, and I choose now to live like a gay man to deflect sexual misconduct allegations. I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behavior, but keep hangin' in there boys :bigtran:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Quite apart from that, Franco seems sufficiently far up his own arse that he'd say anything that he thought made him sound artistic and interesting.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

It's a really interesting situation because everyone and their grandmother in Barrie has more or less known he's creepy for years yet it's just coming to light provincially now. Although the allegations haven't been necessarily proven it's one of those situations where it seems pretty likely given his apparent reputation. It begs the question though: was the swift reaction of Andrea Horwath and company, who are pretty much calling for his head on the pike, appropriate given the purported lack of evidence, even though everyone knows it's probably true? His campaign team dropped him like a hot potato right away which doesn't help his case, yet he remains defiant about the allegations being untrue. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Quite apart from that, Franco seems sufficiently far up his own arse that he'd say anything that he thought made him sound artistic and interesting.

Yeah, this is kind of Franco’s whole shtick. I’m not so sure he identified as gay or bisexual, as much as he wants to identify with, say, Allen Ginsberg. Specifically in terms of how Ginsberg challenged social norms when it came to “acceptable” spheres of sexuality.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

Yeah, this is kind of Franco’s whole shtick. I’m not so sure he identified as gay or bisexual, as much as he wants to identify with, say, Allen Ginsberg. Specifically in terms of how Ginsberg challenged social norms when it came to “acceptable” spheres of sexuality.

...membership in NAMBLA?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Well, Franco stikes me as the type of dude whose knowledge of Ginsberg probably stops and starts with “Howl.”

EDIT: To clarify, I was ripping on Franco’s surface level artistic posturing in my previous comment above, hence “acceptable.” He’s like the walking embodiment of a freshman creative writing major.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 26, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fart City posted:

Well, Franco stikes me as the type of dude whose knowledge of Ginsberg probably stops and starts with “Howl.”

EDIT: To clarify, I was ripping on Franco’s surface level artistic posturing in my previous comment above, hence “acceptable.” He’s like the walking embodiment of a freshman creative writing major.

I think he has one of those "degrees" in writing, where he attended a few classes, cut someone a cheque and can claim a degree

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think he has one of those "degrees" in writing, where he attended a few classes, cut someone a cheque and can claim a degree

Nah he has like 5 different post-grad degrees from a bunch of places and by all accounts he was a good student even when he was basically getting no sleep doing movies at the same time. (Except at NYU, apparently)

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

DC Murderverse posted:

Nah he has like 5 different post-grad degrees from a bunch of places and by all accounts he was a good student even when he was basically getting no sleep doing movies at the same time. (Except at NYU, apparently)

He obviously made an effort but come on, it was still one part normal work conceivable to ordinary students to nine parts being James Franco. Dude was hiring notetakers for his classes and getting independent study credit for starring in Spiderman 3.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dozens of People Recount Pattern of Sexual Misconduct by Las Vegas Mogul Steve Wynn
https://www.wsj.com/articles/dozens-of-people-recount-pattern-of-sexual-misconduct-by-las-vegas-mogul-steve-wynn-1516985953

Kevin Spacey’s brother Randy Fowler says the actor is ‘worse’ than their Nazi rapist dad and accuses the star of having a ‘creepy’ relationship with their mum
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/54186...with-their-mum/

James Franco Is 'a Mess' and 'Hasn't Slept for Days' After Accusations, Says Source
http://people.com/movies/james-franco-is-a-mess-and-hasnt-slept-for-days-after-accusations-says-source/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

...membership in NAMBLA?

gently caress, marry, kill: Kerouac, Burroughs, Ginsberg.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I feel that famous sex creep James Franco's PR story would have maybe been more convincing if he wasn't dumb enough to be seen having lunch in public when he's meant to be at home distraught.

But then, he is a pretty bad actor.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

He obviously made an effort but come on, it was still one part normal work conceivable to ordinary students to nine parts being James Franco. Dude was hiring notetakers for his classes and getting independent study credit for starring in Spiderman 3.

hey man he deserved an A for Pie Eating in that movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

The lesson here isn't that Franco got special treatment - it's that modern academia is an accreditation mill that favors people who already have the money and reinforces a system where the majority are basically bled dry and the 1% have that much more room to push their bullshit around. The system is functioning exactly as it was designed.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I feel that famous sex creep James Franco's PR story would have maybe been more convincing if he wasn't dumb enough to be seen having lunch in public when he's meant to be at home distraught.

But then, he is a pretty bad actor.

He played a convincing dumb stoner in Pineapple Express

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm not surprised at the multiple degrees in writing. It's not that hard as long as you can enjoy hashing out bullshit with other students and scramble to finish essays barely past the due date before too many late penalties stack up on tons of coffee. For an active script-writer it's probably useful exercise.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

As an English grad, can confirm that writing degrees are basically competitive masturbation.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

As an English grad, can confirm that writing degrees are basically competitive masturbation.

gently caress, I really regret doing advertising instead.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zogo posted:

Kevin Spacey’s brother Randy Fowler says the actor is ‘worse’ than their Nazi rapist dad and accuses the star of having a ‘creepy’ relationship with their mum
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/54186...with-their-mum/

I know that it is better to not completely disregard accusations about sexual assualt/impropriety/etc. but I'm inclined to not believe that one, simply because of the newspaper publishing it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, I really regret doing advertising instead.

That sounds even worse.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The most explicitly excruciating course of study would be the degree program tracking students into being professional music reviewers.

I had a job once reviewing music and I couldn’t do it. I just couldn’t.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm imagining film students, but some how more insufferable.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Also English major, can confirm. A girl I dated in college stuck around after for a Master's, and shared this story years later:

One course had an assignment wherein students were to write a one act play based on a song of their choice. This wasn't a big class, maybe 8 people, but every student except my friend based theirs on the same song (a Death Cab for Cutie song). That right there speaks volumes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Never had to deal with in my course load. I did adjust all of my papers to reinforce the professors published works however. Always worked to bump my grade up 1-1 1/2 letter grades.

I don't know if it still is, but English was vastly the preferred major for students planning on going into law.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Capn Jobe posted:

One course had an assignment wherein students were to write a one act play based on a song of their choice. This wasn't a big class, maybe 8 people, but every student except my friend based theirs on the same song (a Death Cab for Cutie song). That right there speaks volumes.

Just on this basis, I hate everyone in that class except your friend.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
But she chose Sandstorm by Darude.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bad day posted:

But she chose Sandstorm by Darude.

I'd watch a play based on that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

AceOfFlames posted:

Truth.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A live-action Run Lola Run?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

AceOfFlames posted:

I hope it was closer to Interpretive Dance than anything

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Never had to deal with in my course load. I did adjust all of my papers to reinforce the professors published works however. Always worked to bump my grade up 1-1 1/2 letter grades.

I don't know if it still is, but English was vastly the preferred major for students planning on going into law.

fairly recent English grad here. just about everyone i graduated with, if they aren't trying to get into publishing or working in a coffee shop, went to law school or is in the process of trying to get in to one at some point. the extent to which it prepares you for such a track is very debatable, but we did write a shitload of papers on, like, the minutiae of Jonathan Swift's poop humor.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Capn Jobe posted:

Also English major, can confirm. A girl I dated in college stuck around after for a Master's, and shared this story years later:

thats a fake story sorry

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zas posted:

thats a fake story sorry

It's an exaggeration of a thing that actually happens. I had a similar assignment in high school english, pick a song and write a thing about why this song is important to you blah blah blah. 3 guys in my class of 30 or so picked R Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rhyno posted:

It's an exaggeration of a thing that actually happens. I had a similar assignment in high school english, pick a song and write a thing about why this song is important to you blah blah blah. 3 guys in my class of 30 or so picked R Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly."

Space Jam?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

One English as a second language assignment I had in high school had us writing about movies or music that spoke to us. Don't remember what mine was about but I remember just feeling sorry for the classmate who wrote about Creed (the band).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

These are assignments teachers give out when they want to laugh at their students