Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I would really like to be able to use Dark Souls' helpful summons without exposing myself to being invaded by someone who has probably played a hundred more hours of the game than I have, has the precise gear he needs to be utterly overpowered while still invading lower level areas, and would probably smugly shout GIT GUD at me if I complained about this on a forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

1stGear posted:

I would really like to be able to use Dark Souls' helpful summons without exposing myself to being invaded by someone who has probably played a hundred more hours of the game than I have, has the precise gear he needs to be utterly overpowered while still invading lower level areas, and would probably smugly shout GIT GUD at me if I complained about this on a forum.
Being invaded just isn't that common, especially if you use a humanity and immediately go to a summon mark.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The area next to it that leads to the bonus boss is one of the worst areas in the series, and one of the worst areas in any game I have ever played.

Trudge for miles through a blizzard, navigating by the vague smudge of a sun, have five identical fights against a boring and poorly telegraphed enemy that hits like a truck and will splatter you in moments. It's just a test of stamina and how much bullshit you can tolerate. Never even got to the boss.

You can run past them all to the boss but it's two or three minutes of literally nothing each time. The boss is pretty lame too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not that it justifies the design, but those areas are intended for groups. There's no achievements or significant gear attached to them. Still terrible, but they're completely optional and can be ignored without missing anything.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Being invaded just isn't that common, especially if you use a humanity and immediately go to a summon mark.

Yeah. DS1 is probably the worst for this, but they get better about it. DS3 goes a little too far in stacking it for the defender mind.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My only complaint about dark souls 1 is I played it blind for about a year living somewhere without broad band internet. Years later when I moved I put it back in and was annoyed to find that my Xbox live I was using now made the game into something I wasn't used to.

So I guess I'm annoyed I didn't realize a game meant for online play was just that and got used to the offline version.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

Shardix posted:

Speaking of Ivory King. Of all the callbacks and recurring weapons in Dark Souls 3, FROM couldn't bring back the Bone Fist? The closest thing you can get is the demon fist and its wholly anemic spinning lariat.

How can I return the lords to their thrones if I cannot be the king of iron fist?

And even in DS2, it's locked away behind a semi-hidden bullshit room in the last DLC. It's the same for the Beast Claw in Bloodborne, you have to trudge through half the boring-rear end Chalice Dungeons to get it and then have to beat the optional superboss in the DLC to unlock its full potential.

Why can't From just let me do kung fu?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I don't play any of the Dark Souls games because I am bad at games, but I did enjoy this nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

1stGear posted:

Disconnect your console from Internet for that session. At least in PS3 the game could/did not do anything against in-session disconnections.

I did that to cheese the fatty and the fuckhead in Anor Londo for the first time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

poptart_fairy posted:

DS3 was weirdly light on DA2 stuff, given how. Self-indulgent it was elsewhere.

When 3 was developed and released most Dark Souls fans were still in full "Dark Souls 2 is the worst game ever made, B team ruined the game and killed my dog!" mode. It wasn't until well after 3 released and was full of a lot of lackluster ~remember this from Dark Souls?~ moments that people started deciding they actually liked 2 all along and had never really hated it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No, people always liked 2, I had this argument extensively in games well before 3 came out. It's bad.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

2 is explicitly better than 3, actually

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I got invaded a grand total of once ever in Dark Souls 1 (guy died trying to walk over to me on the painted world cathedral rafters) but I get invaded every 5 minutes in 2 and 3 when eligible. I just play offline because I find the pvp to be really lovely. The omnipresent latency combined with the extremely generous iframes make it like trying to fight a ghost that exists 2 seconds in the future. I can hold my own but it's super janky and unsatisfying and kills the flow of the gameplay for me.

Brain In A Jar posted:

The other night, I was playing Warframe (an otherwise great first-person space Diablo with double jumps and sweet guns) when I loaded into a map with a boss. The boss spawned, and was completely invincible. There were no other context clues for me, or the other player who was in my instance. The mission text mentioned that he used a hammer, but the model wasn't being used. His health bar was greyed out, like a story NPC. We had halfway given up and assumed it was bugged until I googled it and found out you were supposed to shoot tiny coolant tubes attached to his backpack, which apparently made him vulnerable. How the devs assumed anyone would come across this in situ I have no loving idea, beyond just shooting this guy a lot from a bunch of different angles.

That boss freaking sucks. Even if you correctly guess that you're supposed to destroy his tubes they either have so much hp or such small hitboxes or something that you'll probably spend 5 minutes shooting at them and decide you were mistaken.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The area next to it that leads to the bonus boss is one of the worst areas in the series, and one of the worst areas in any game I have ever played.

Trudge for miles through a blizzard, navigating by the vague smudge of a sun, have five identical fights against a boring and poorly telegraphed enemy that hits like a truck and will splatter you in moments. It's just a test of stamina and how much bullshit you can tolerate. Never even got to the boss.

That area sucks but I'm glad I toughed it out because the weapon you can get from the boss soul is one of my favorites in the series. The shield you can get from the boss soul is staggeringly terrible.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Jan 26, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I got invaded a grand total of once ever in Dark Souls 1 (guy died trying to walk over to me on the painted world cathedral rafters) but I get invaded every 5 minutes in 2 and 3 when eligible. I just play offline because I find the pvp to be really lovely. The omnipresent latency combined with the extremely generous iframes make it like trying to fight a ghost that exists 2 seconds in the future. I can hold my own but it's super janky and unsatisfying and kills the flow of the gameplay for me.

There are certain areas in the games that are super popular if you're the right level, like the undead burg in the first game if you were a low level because despite what the PVP nerds say; the Dark Souls fanbase just loves stomping on people who can't fight back.

But yeah, generally I play offline too because the only time I find PVP fun is when I actually want to do it. It's not that great to be like halfway through an area when some jackass just shows up and now you can't progress because of a fog gate and you just have to wait for him to find you so you can fight.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I've never enjoyed PvP in any souls game. As far as I'm concerned DS1 had the perfect hollowing/online system and I really dislike that they changed it afterwards. Just a nice opt-in 'do you want other players y/n', with no significant penalties if you don't want to bother with other players.

I find the other online features really neat so even though playing disconnected is always an option it can take a lot away from the experience.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the opening bit of The Evil Within, if you try to sneak kill The Sadist, it goes to a cutscene of him killing you but that cutscene doesn't reflect where you attacked him. I followed him and tried to kill him in the dark hallway but it magically transported us to in front of his desk for my brutal murder. Quite an oversight.

Also Dark Souls 2 is good but still the worst of the series. Feel free to PM me for more in-depth discussion about the games or if you need advice or just want to talk about anything at all, I'm always here and ready to help my fellow posters.

No fat chicks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just tried a Hard Mode Trafficking activity in Saints Row 3 - those flamethrower brutes can go gently caress themselves. Most of the "Hard" activities aren't that bad, they're actually fairly easy but Trafficking is super hard due to limited ammo and it giving you un-upgraded guns.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

something dragging saints row down in general is the first one i played was saints row iv and it is so good that it makes the others play like a dog doo sandwich

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They have a similar thematic, but all mainstream Saint's Rows have enough differences that still makes them worth playing.

Like, I think I went 3>4>2>GOOH and the only one I wouldn't recommend was Gat.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish GOoH had more content because I liked the combat better than 4 and flying around was really fun.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So finally playing SMT IV and I don't really dig the encounter system? It's like the exact opposite of random encounters. Enemies show up on the map, and that's usually cool. Except they immediately just start charging towards you to body slam your poo poo in. So like if you're not constantly running, or you stop for a second to try and read a sign you're going to get in a fight. Just to compound it, the only camera control you have as far as I can tell is the B button which rotates it behind you, so you can't even tell if an enemy spawned.

EDIT: Also the game has the single most obnoxious game over screen I've ever seen in a video game, it's faster to exit the game and re-open it and load my file if a negotiation goes south because giving the enemy a free turn this early basically means death.

Also hitting these dudes with the sword to avoid getting a free enemy turn is absolute garbage. The timing is terrible, I've had my sword go straight through them because apparently you have to hit the air in front of them.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 06:04 on Jan 27, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

They have a similar thematic, but all mainstream Saint's Rows have enough differences that still makes them worth playing.

Yeah, I'm finding I'm a little bit :geno: in my IV playthrough because I realized some distance into IV that I was more interested in sandboxy city driving game more than a sandboxy city flying-around game. Plus, I really think the lack of a day/night cycle makes IV a bit more visually... depressing? I lack the words.

e: I don't know if this counts, but I'm watching an LP of Mega Man 7, and it shows a few of the old Robot Masters in the background, redesigned in the more visually-improved style of 7. Now I want to see all of the 1-6 Robot Masters done in that look/style.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jan 27, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, I'm finding I'm a little bit :geno: in my IV playthrough because I realized some distance into IV that I was more interested in sandboxy city driving game more than a sandboxy city flying-around game. Plus, I really think the lack of a day/night cycle makes IV a bit more visually... depressing? I lack the words.

e: I don't know if this counts, but I'm watching an LP of Mega Man 7, and it shows a few of the old Robot Masters in the background, redesigned in the more visually-improved style of 7. Now I want to see all of the 1-6 Robot Masters done in that look/style.

The really weird thing is that they actually put a surprising amount of work into improving the driving controls and mechanics from 3 to 4. Motorcycles feel way better, turn signals are a thing now and other poo poo. But you only use cars at all for like ten minutes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

The really weird thing is that they actually put a surprising amount of work into improving the driving controls and mechanics from 3 to 4. Motorcycles feel way better, turn signals are a thing now and other poo poo. But you only use cars at all for like ten minutes.

Yeah, when you have unlimited super sprint it’s like... why would I ever bother driving anything that isn’t a tank?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

MisterBibs posted:

Mega Man Power Battle and Power Fighters don’t have all of them, but it’s a decent amount.

Wily Wars might have updated designs since it was on the Genesis, but I never played it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The thing dragging Wily Wars down for me is that I've been keeping my eyes peeled for it across dozens of used games/whatever stores across four states now and have never come even close to seeing a copy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

How did they gently caress up fusion in SMT IV! They made it really awkward and complicated to just smash two demons of your choice together because now apparently the only way to fuse things is through this stupid god drat fusion search mechanic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Monster Hunter World: The attack button is circle. The quick use item button is square. You cannot change these controls. Why is it in 2018 the ability to freely change controls still isn't a thing?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leal posted:

Monster Hunter World: The attack button is circle. The quick use item button is square. You cannot change these controls. Why is it in 2018 the ability to freely change controls still isn't a thing?

I think I read somewhere that devs hate allowing full remapping of buttons because some people inevitably screw up the control system, can't figure out how to reset it and get pissy.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think I read somewhere that devs hate allowing full remapping of buttons because some people inevitably screw up the control system, can't figure out how to reset it and get pissy.

Oh yeah. "Read somewhere" :airquote:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Can you even call yourself a gamer if you never fiddled so much with the options that you had to google how to go back to default using the .ini ?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

I mean it makes sense to me. How often do you see people going "THIS GAME IS TOO HARD IT'S BULLSHIT" and it turns out they just set Neir Automata to the hardest difficulty or some poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vic posted:

that's the justification the Firefox devs gave for removing several features. Because someone stupid might gently caress with enough settings to put the browser in a state where they couldnt use it or figure out how to revert it.

Not that it was impossible, just that rhis hypothetical moron couldn't figure out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Welcome to Monster Hunter.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vic posted:

I think it was a dev q&a for Elder Scrolls Online but I can't be hosed to look it up.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

food court bailiff posted:

The thing dragging Wily Wars down for me is that I've been keeping my eyes peeled for it across dozens of used games/whatever stores across four states now and have never come even close to seeing a copy.

I’ll save you some time: It never got a retail release in the US, it was a Sega Channel thing. Unless you find a custom cart for it, you’ll never come across a copy.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

On another note is Routine, which looked intriguing and atmospheric in a SOMA kind of way but has been stuck in development hell forever and will probably never be released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Len posted:

I mean it makes sense to me. How often do you see people going "THIS GAME IS TOO HARD IT'S BULLSHIT" and it turns out they just set Neir Automata to the hardest difficulty or some poo poo.

I love this so much. Gamers immediately jump into the hardest difficulty to prove they're HARDCORE or whatever, then spend the rest of the game bitching and moaning they aren't winning.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the other hand I see no shame in starting a game on easy if its famous for being bad, or sticking to Normal for good games. I never see a reason to play on hard unless I'm feeling confident, and that never happens. I never go for hard because there is always that one area, level or boss who sucks enough on normal that I don't want to put myself through it on hard. I'm Bad at Games.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
After Uncharted 1 I played all the others on Easy. They're a cinematic spectacle, but there's at least one spot in each that you're going to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

I love this so much. Gamers immediately jump into the hardest difficulty to prove they're HARDCORE or whatever, then spend the rest of the game bitching and moaning they aren't winning.

My friend did that with Bioshock 2 he hated the game for awhile because he didn't feel like an unstoppable big daddy. He had put the game on the hardest difficulty as soon as he turned it on