Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What's must-have in Charelston for one night (no Husk reservations available, already checked), and what's new within the last year in Charlotte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
I'm in San Francisco for a week, and my regularly scheduled programme has me free most of the evenings to choose where to get dinner. I'm a vegetarian, will reconsider this when abroad if circumstances force me or if something's a real specialty. I've been here once before like eight years ago, and I remember trying the clam chowder so I don't feel any particular need to try that, specifically. Otherwise I'm very green on both general US and CA food culture. Anything to be on the lookout for, any can't-miss?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Tiger posted:

I'm in San Francisco for a week, and my regularly scheduled programme has me free most of the evenings to choose where to get dinner. I'm a vegetarian, will reconsider this when abroad if circumstances force me or if something's a real specialty. I've been here once before like eight years ago, and I remember trying the clam chowder so I don't feel any particular need to try that, specifically. Otherwise I'm very green on both general US and CA food culture. Anything to be on the lookout for, any can't-miss?

Especially as a vegetarian, check out the Ferry Building (full of small gourmet shops and restaurants), ideally on one of the days the farmer's market will be set up outside. It's a huge farmer's market, and the whole thing was the culinary highlight of my one trip to San Francisco several years ago.

https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/merchants/
https://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/farmers-market/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I need some bangin recs for Seoul and Tokyo. I've lived in both cities but I was a poor student then so now I'm looking for some good stuff in the 20~50 USD range. Cheaper is fine too.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

I need some bangin recs for Seoul and Tokyo. I've lived in both cities but I was a poor student then so now I'm looking for some good stuff in the 20~50 USD range. Cheaper is fine too.

In Tokyo I like Honmura An for soba and Izuei (honten in Ueno) for unagi. Also why not save up and go to the branch of Sukiyabashi Jiro in Roppongi? Jiro's son is friendly to & tolerant of gaijin (when I went all 6 of us at the counter were visiting from the US) and the sushi was excellent. Also it was easy to make a reservation. Downsides: Y25,000+ and it ruined me for regular sushi for several months

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Also does anyone have recommendations for Paris? Looking for anything at all that's less obvious (i.e. not necessarily Michelin) / touristy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

got off on a technicality posted:

Also does anyone have recommendations for Paris? Looking for anything at all that's less obvious (i.e. not necessarily Michelin) / touristy

My go-to is Le dernier bar avant la fin du monde, it's a fun sci-fi-themed bar/restaurant. I guess you could call it touristy.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is that a play on the 'Restaurant at the end of the Universe' from Hitchhiker's Guide?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

angor posted:

Is that a play on the 'Restaurant at the end of the Universe' from Hitchhiker's Guide?

Yep!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

got off on a technicality posted:

In Tokyo I like Honmura An for soba and Izuei (honten in Ueno) for unagi. Also why not save up and go to the branch of Sukiyabashi Jiro in Roppongi? Jiro's son is friendly to & tolerant of gaijin (when I went all 6 of us at the counter were visiting from the US) and the sushi was excellent. Also it was easy to make a reservation. Downsides: Y25,000+ and it ruined me for regular sushi for several months

I'm not staying long and I'm on a schedule for most of it so I just wanted places where I could walk in or make do with a short line. Thanks for the recs, though!

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Tiger posted:

Cioppino is the sea food stew that's unique to SF and might be worth breaking veg for.
Otherwise California cuisine is usually more vegetable forward than classic US cooking. You should have decent veg options at most place, and we have a lot of vegetarians around here and I think you can filter on Yelp for veg-friendly places.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
On the off-chance anyone is ever in Elizabeth, NJ, I write a ton about the cuisine and a bunch of restaurants here: https://www.hungryonion.org/t/cuisine-in-elizabeth-nj/9685

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I left Tokyo but still have most of the week left in Seoul if you guys have any recommendations!

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Looking for recommendations for Rome.

For foodies who love to explore both exotic, innovative and classic kitchens, with budget being no issue if worth it (3-star Michelin is an option for example).
It is for a 3-5 day city trip so a couple of non italian options are welcome as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Looking for a (real or as close to) Chinese food place in the Seattle (actually: Everett) area. Any recommendations?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am sitting at the airport waiting for my flight to Taiwan. We are doing 10 days of backpacking in Taipei, Kaohsiung, Tainan and Hualien (probably).

What are 3 dishes I should not miss? Since we don't have planned where we will be on what day, streetfood or walk-in places are ideal rather than booking a table. Also we don't have dress shirts etc with us.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 1, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

If there's a New Orleans thread I didn't see it, so what's good eats around Canal & Rampart?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hauki posted:

If there's a New Orleans thread I didn't see it, so what's good eats around Canal & Rampart?

There's actually no good food in NOLA, it all sucks there.

Real talk, try this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811

It's the combo thread for Cajun/Creole/NOLA

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

There's actually no good food in NOLA, it all sucks there.

I know you're joking, but I'll fight you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If anyone's ever swinging through Chengdu in Sichuan, there's a small goon crew here that will be happy to take you out for good foods.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Same for Munich, if anyone swings by, I can give you a short walking tour through downtown, I also have some food and restaurant recommendations, albeit more in terms if traditional/typical/street food rather than michelin star dining.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

KillHour posted:

I know you're joking, but I'll fight you.

If you're from NOLA you're probably too drunk to fight. But I'll bet you can tell me where I got my shoes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you're from NOLA you're probably too drunk to fight. But I'll bet you can tell me where I got my shoes.

I'm not, I just really like the food there.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Anyone familiar with Dublin? I'm in town till Friday and would love if someone could recommend a dinner spot

e: that's Dublin in Ireland, not Dublin CA

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If you are willing to do a short trip you can take the Dart (commuter train) to Howth, takes about 45 mins, and there are a lot of great seafood restaurants there. I can recommend The Oar House (pun in the name obviously intended). I didn't know which restaurant to go to so I asked an old man who was fishing from the pier which one he would pick. Very nice fellow from "one village over", we chatted a bit and he heartily recommended them. The food was fantastic and the staff super friendly and attentive. They their chowder (normal not luxury) for a traditional treat.
Bonus is you get to see the sea and depending on when you get there you could do one of the cliff path walkways.

The Boxty House on Temple Bar also has traditional Irish food that I enjoyed.

Kimchi Hophouse in Parnell street close to the corner of upper O'Connell street is a fun amalgamation of a Korean restaurant and pub connected by a door in the wall. If the restaurant doesn't have seats left they seat you in the pub which also serves Korean beer. We really enjoyed the bibimbap. It's not a fancy dinner place though.

If you need a quick bite in town check out Boojum Burritos, they have 3 joints now I think and make fantastic burritos. There is one right near the Jamesons distillery in Millenium Walkway.

I only spent a few days there so I don't have more, sorry.

And here's a general advice: if you go early, manly places have early bird/pre-theatre menus which can make quite a price difference.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 17, 2018

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Many thanks (:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hopper posted:

The Boxty House on Temple Bar also has traditional Irish food that I enjoyed.
They have extremely good stout. Based on my limited tourist experience they're also packed. I'd definitely book a table.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah definitely book a table. I came in and it was full, so I returned later at like 9pm and got a seat but I was on my own and late dinner suited me just fine.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Grand Fromage posted:

If anyone's ever swinging through Chengdu in Sichuan, there's a small goon crew here that will be happy to take you out for good foods.

you joke, but I'm gonna loving inbox you in a month or two or next year or some poo poo

you've been warned

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Me wife and I are going to San Francisco for Presidents Day weekend. We want to have one really nice (expensive) dinner and then whatever is cheap to reasonable and good along the way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

therobit posted:

Me wife and I are going to San Francisco for Presidents Day weekend. We want to have one really nice (expensive) dinner and then whatever is cheap to reasonable and good along the way.

Not a meal, but you should hit up b.patisserie for dessert any time of the day and get their kouign amann, which is even better than Dominique Ansel's

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

therobit posted:

There's a lot of options for fine dining in SF, what's your version of expensive and do you have any cuisines in mind? On the flip side, prices for most other restaurants may seem high cause everything's more expensive here. Taquerias in the mission are usually good bang for your buck.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

snyprmag posted:

There's a lot of options for fine dining in SF, what's your version of expensive and do you have any cuisines in mind? On the flip side, prices for most other restaurants may seem high cause everything's more expensive here. Taquerias in the mission are usually good bang for your buck.

I would say I probably don't want to spend more than 250 or 300 for the nice dinner, any cuisine as long as it is great. I have had burritos in the mission and they were awesome, and yes this is the range I am looking for for the rest of it I guess? Or a little more if that isn't possible for any other food.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
My recommendations: Rich Table, The Morris, Contigo, Octavia

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
If you like wine the BYO route works fantastic. Go to K&L, pick something with a decent amount of age on it, and bring it in for ~$20-40 corkage. No one will bat an eyelash

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I went to Boulevard when I was in SF. Did NOT disappoint!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

therobit posted:

Kin Khao is a Michelin starred Thai restaurant close to the Powell street BART station. Tasting menu is 60 bucks per person. If the Mushroom Hor Mok Terrine isn't part of the tasting menu (it wasn't when I was there, even though it says it is on their website), I'd add it. This place will come in at or under your price including tax and tip even if you pound a few cocktails each and add an item or two.

http://kinkhao.com/

Aziza was another great relatively affordable high end place but I'm pretty sure they closed. I think Mourad is the same guy but I haven't been there. It's well rated though. Their tasting menu is 155 each so it'll be a little bit over your budget.

I went to Boulevard once for lunch and wasn't super impressed, but maybe their dinner menu is different/better.

Commis in Oakland is probably one of the most affordable fine diningy (i.e. excellent and fancy and pretentious food and service) restaurants. I don't think they do ala carte at all and their tasting menu is $159.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

veiled boner fuel posted:

Kin Khao is a Michelin starred Thai restaurant close to the Powell street BART station

I think Mourad is the same guy but I haven't been there. It's well rated though. Their tasting menu is 155 each so it'll be a little bit over your budget.

Commis in Oakland is probably one of the most affordable fine diningy (i.e. excellent and fancy and pretentious food and service) restaurants. I don't think they do ala carte at all and their tasting menu is $159.

I really did not like Commis the last time I was there, but it was 2-3 years ago. Mourad is an excellent suggestion, but my recommendation is you do not order the tasting. Instead I suggest the basteeya, the octopus, the chicken to share, and the honey dessert. A la carte is also much more cost efficient than the tasting so I'm sure that will fit in your budget. Kin Khao is not bad (tasting menu is fine there) but you should be prepared for everything to be quite spicy (even some of my Thai friends think the spice level is on the high side)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Awesome guys, thanks. I will report back after our weekend. Maybe we will be irresponsible and try a couple of them. Also when booking this trip I learned how cheap the PDX to SFO route is so I may just book another trip for summer or something.

therobit fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Any of you losers live in Louisville? Looks like Mr. W and I are moving there later this year. all I remember is Taco Punk and the Garage Bar.