Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Analytic Engine posted:

cool, and is that including the EIT professional exam? or can you start out and get it later like Actuaries

100% of my undergrad classmates in Physics and Applied Math are programmers. some grad school friends are data scientists and only those finished a PhD are happily employed Materials Scientists

Both of the people I keep up with from undergrad are material engineers in their field (Steel, Aluminum processing and QA-ish stuff). I'm the only one of the three of us to do a Phd. and I'm also doing engineering stuff. And it's not like we wen't to the top MSEN school either, so I dunno what you are getting at.

Tehdas posted:

The REAL engineers are the guys who work with engines. It’s in the name, ENGINEer.

Don’t be talking to me about those civil poseurs.

Didn't we have (siege) engineers from forever ago? Because I thought engineer was just bastardizing the latin word ingeniare which was something like clever or maker or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Both of the people I keep up with from undergrad are material engineers in their field (Steel, Aluminum processing and QA-ish stuff). I'm the only one of the three of us to do a Phd. and I'm also doing engineering stuff. And it's not like we wen't to the top MSEN school either, so I dunno what you are getting at.

Didn't we have (siege) engineers from forever ago? Because I thought engineer was just bastardizing the latin word ingeniare which was something like clever or maker or something.

Engineers planned the Pyramids. It's an old job.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Theres some drift because originally engineers were designers of engines (in this sense mechanical tools). Siege engineers made siege engines (catapults etc) in this sense.

After the industrial revolution, engine came more to mean a specific type of mechanical device that converts combustion energy to mechanical motion.

Due to the idiomatic drift, engineer also started to mean one who operates an engine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

And you want to, but not everybody especially if they are getting other professional credentials will. One doesn't need it to get a job, but it's certainly is a BFD. I'm glad I did, too bad my employer didn't have a PE, which has screwed me for ever getting that.

As long as an employer at some point has a PE you should be fine?

Also are we talking mechanical or civil? Most MEs I know didn’t go into fields where they need a PE. The industrial exemption is huge.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Analytic Engine posted:

What's it like when you guys (non-software-monkeys) do a cold interview at another company? Do they heavily weight exams and licensing? Or is it mostly up to on-the-day-hoop-jumping performance

I worked at a consultancy that was >75% ME's. Some of the engineering interview questions included giving them a stamped sheet metal part and asking how it was made (tooling marks and other indicators can tell you the order of operations), the same kind of project questions on resume items that CS folks would get, and design challenges like "how would you design a battery for IR LED's mounted on glasses".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tehdas posted:

The REAL engineers are the guys who work with engines. It’s in the name, ENGINEer.

Don’t be talking to me about those civil poseurs.

Unlimited horsepower gas turbine, motor, steam motherfuckers. It's not a real engine unless you can fit a car inside one of the cylinders. :colbert:

hobbesmaster posted:

As long as an employer at some point has a PE you should be fine?

Also are we talking mechanical or civil? Most MEs I know didn’t go into fields where they need a PE. The industrial exemption is huge.

Naval Architecture and Marine. We have atleast one Naval Architecture, but he's from before being a PE for that was a thing (everybody gets unlimited horsepower licenses). There are a couple of states where I could sit, but not most.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sundae posted:

Also, don't underestimate the sheer loving quantity of bio, biochem, synthetic chem, blah blah people that universities are graduating every year. It's like the lawyer thing--the "started out barrister, ended up barista" thread title on the SA law school thread was only slightly tongue-in-cheek.

It's not tongue in cheek at all. The most successful/happiest poster in that thread is the guy running a taco truck.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Sundae posted:

Also, don't underestimate the sheer loving quantity of bio, biochem, synthetic chem, blah blah people that universities are graduating every year. It's like the lawyer thing--the "started out barrister, ended up barista" thread title on the SA law school thread was only slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Someone has to do all of the government-funded research that brings in hundreds of millions a year for research Universities and it sure isn't going to be employees that make real money.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

This is a pretty interesting read

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...WT.nav=top-news

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The design and presentation of all that data is loving astonishing. What a beauty.

And lol at the former Twitter security programmer who basically said "Twitter doesn't care about security"

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Vegetable posted:

The design and presentation of all that data is loving astonishing. What a beauty.

I mean, it's very flashy but it's kind of grating when you just want to read an article

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I mean if Twitter has a policy against fake accounts why can't they do anything about this company? Or at the very least shut down the accounts of the people that flat out admitted to buying bots from it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

I mean if Twitter has a policy against fake accounts why can't they do anything about this company? Or at the very least shut down the accounts of the people that flat out admitted to buying bots from it.

Twitter is fine with this. It helps keep their usage numbers up and extends the amount of time remaining before anyone starts wondering why the company that they own shares of isn't making any money.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yep, perverse incentives. Their priorities are still in the start-up mode of thinking, where the numbers are all that matters and you just damage control around them. They will burn down the quality of their network in preference to this.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ynglaur posted:

Dog-piling on that good QA people are worth their weight in gold. I wish they were more common, but the are incredibly valuable to businesses right now.

Amen, and their value really never decreases.

This goes double for quality engineers who can automate their work, not just the reporting but the actual testing itself.

It’s why we have UI testing mechanisms built atop our accessibility APIs: You can make lots of computers work the app the way a user will, in lots of different scenarios. (And also ensure that the app is properly accessible.) It winds up being a real force multiplier for a good quality engineer.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Great read.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yep, perverse incentives. Their priorities are still in the start-up mode of thinking, where the numbers are all that matters and you just damage control around them. They will burn down the quality of their network in preference to this.
They still want bigger numbers even when the bots are actually what is killing their platform. But see it's not like a they have a clear model to make money to preserve anyway. They just are a media trying to prove they have an audience even if it's a fake one.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regulate tech into the stone ages.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

eschaton posted:

Amen, and their value really never decreases.

This goes double for quality engineers who can automate their work, not just the reporting but the actual testing itself.

It’s why we have UI testing mechanisms built atop our accessibility APIs: You can make lots of computers work the app the way a user will, in lots of different scenarios. (And also ensure that the app is properly accessible.) It winds up being a real force multiplier for a good quality engineer.

Just a gentle reminder that the person who brought this up is a laboratory QA, not a software tester. Good UIs are nice, but so is safe food, properly produced medicines and so on.

I’m not trying to be Fishmech here, it’s just that I was literally in that person’s shoes several years ago and seeing this conversation is bringing back every lovely call with recruiters who didn’t know the difference.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's even worse than that. You're taxed at vesting. If you got your options for free or almost nothing, that's a big hit, because your cost basis is nearly zero. If stocks vest, you hold them, and they then fall in value (not uncommon) you wind up having to pay taxes on money you never actually had.

I am not (so not) a tax lawyer, consult a professional on these things.

This was a loving disaster in 2000/2001.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Toplowtech posted:

Great read.

They still want bigger numbers even when the bots are actually what is killing their platform. But see it's not like a they have a clear model to make money to preserve anyway. They just are a media trying to prove they have an audience even if it's a fake one.

My understanding of this is Twitter is screwed, they are beholden to users, of which many are bots. To remove bots would make the few users who drive revenue possibly/probably leave for another platform, and so they stumble on till the early investors find a way to bail. Is that it more or less?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My understanding of this is Twitter is screwed, they are beholden to users, of which many are bots. To remove bots would make the few users who drive revenue possibly/probably leave for another platform, and so they stumble on till the early investors find a way to bail. Is that it more or less?

Bots don't actually drive revenue, and Twitter's been a public company for years now. Early investors have been able to bail by simply selling off stock.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
So it is just about user count then? More = better?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mercury Ballistic posted:

So it is just about user count then? More = better?

There's really no good reason that they do it. The bots clearly gently caress with what their legit advertisers want to target, they upset a ton of the real users, and they're generally not useful to twitter.

I think perhaps some leadership is mistakenly convinced that BIG USER COUNT = PROFIT but really it's not working out that way.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

fishmech posted:

There's really no good reason that they do it. The bots clearly gently caress with what their legit advertisers want to target, they upset a ton of the real users, and they're generally not useful to twitter.

I think perhaps some leadership is mistakenly convinced that BIG USER COUNT = PROFIT but really it's not working out that way.

I think it's more that their infrastructure is duct-taped together and they don't have a good way to efficiently manage and remove them at scale. Bots are profitable for bot owners, after all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Part of the New York Times article is dissing Twitter for not using even the most basic of anti-bots technology like captchas. I don’t think Twitter has a serious interest or incentive to kill bots.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Vegetable posted:

Part of the New York Times article is dissing Twitter for not using even the most basic of anti-bots technology like captchas. I don’t think Twitter has a serious interest or incentive to kill bots.

IMO twitter is only relevant because of the orange guy and Rooster Teeth.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just FYI the median income for biochemists is $80,000.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Twitter doesn't care that all their traffic is fraudulent, full-stop, and its a reason why advertisers continually shy away from them and they make no money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Just FYI the median income for biochemists is $80,000.

Whats the median income for those with a bachelor's in biochemistry?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

What was Twitter’s last good idea? Let’s give them their own founding, as having a worldwide message board is an interesting notion.

But literally everything since then has been terrible, right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats the median income for those with a bachelor's in biochemistry?

$40,000

But we all know you don't go into chemistry intending to stop at a bachelor's.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

What was Twitter’s last good idea? Let’s give them their own founding, as having a worldwide message board is an interesting notion.

But literally everything since then has been terrible, right?

Three years ago they wanted a million dollars for the privilege of making an emoji that would double as a hashtag. Last month they offered that feature for free as part of a plan that came in at less than $100,000.

They are a trash company and all their features are bad because a) they don't care about bots at all and b) their most competent sales agent is now touring in a band you've never heard of

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

$40,000

But we all know you don't go into chemistry intending to stop at a bachelor's.

And what percentage of undergrads have the grades to immediately enter grad school?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anecdotally I'd say four out of five seniors I know are headed for grad school. It's hard to say without data because people who don't get acceptance letters aren't eager to advertise it. If you want statistics you're as welcome to look it up as I am.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Barudak posted:

Three years ago they wanted a million dollars for the privilege of making an emoji that would double as a hashtag. Last month they offered that feature for free as part of a plan that came in at less than $100,000.

They are a trash company and all their features are bad because a) they don't care about bots at all and b) their most competent sales agent is now touring in a band you've never heard of

Is the band any good?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Is the band any good?

Well he was the best Twitter had to offer so, no, no they're not good.

They sound like a parody of a band from 2006 but its the year 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Twitter should just charge any large company they find their advertising rates everytime they make a tweet. Boom, profitability.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Twitter, the company that actively refuses to do anything right.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Twitter? More like Twatter :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it's another case of an internet-based business that literally doesn't know or understand what business they're in, what they're supposed to be selling and providing to who.