Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

yeah uhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

i'm not really sure how to respond to that either

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm leaning towards "demand a fullclaim" myself cause I am dying to know what the hell his flavor is and the only other way to find out what he's even going on about is to flip him

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

The question for me is if it's a self-inflicted PR or a role PR.

Rex can you give some sort of indication one way or the other?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
You should meet me in real life sometime. I'm weirder.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

retrospectively i don't know why i thought the answer would be something i could definitively interpret

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

let's see if this gets him talking then

##vote Rex

I can't remember who in F/SN actually plays chess, but there's a couple people I'd guess and neither of em are good :v:

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

at any rate i'd like to see some other poster's opinions on Rex

i'll probably head to bed before too awful long as well but i'll be back in the morning

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bifauxnen posted:

lol ok now I'm just confused and not sure what to make of this

same, this is actually more convoluted than this games source material

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Chic Trombone posted:

at any rate i'd like to see some other poster's opinions on Rex

i'll probably head to bed before too awful long as well but i'll be back in the morning

honestly I don't know what to make of them yet

this could be their normal as far as i know

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

i looked them up via votefinder and it looks like the last game they were in was a mafia-like where they had a handful of posts talking about chess or something

so i dunno either man

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Killing lurkers in a role madness game is good

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Yeah, that was a good time. It was a peragame. She posted a chess position d2 or something. The four knights variation of the Ruy Lopez opening. Totally standard tournament position except that black had moved his king to e7 instead of castling. Which was just madness.

I assumed the puzzle involved finding the game where this position happened. It turned out to be a conglomerate metaphor for the behavior of major parties in the game.

That pera, she's tricky.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

KhediveRex posted:

Yeah, that was a good time. It was a peragame. She posted a chess position d2 or something. The four knights variation of the Ruy Lopez opening. Totally standard tournament position except that black had moved his king to e7 instead of castling. Which was just madness.

I assumed the puzzle involved finding the game where this position happened. It turned out to be a conglomerate metaphor for the behavior of major parties in the game.

That pera, she's tricky.

That was the Death Note mafia game where I clearly showed I knew loving all about chess. I still not even sure what happened that game

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I'm going to go ahead and make the call that rex is confirmed good.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Killing lurkers in a role madness game is good

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847201&userid=185753

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

You're right. I like bread's role play, but all we have is a joke vote on gulag and otherwise zero engagement.

##vote bread

GRRRRAAAAAAGHHHHHHHH

PROTECT... GIRL... KILL... ENEMY

##VOTE TOBBS

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Bifauxnen posted:

I'd rather vote Chic whose biggest contribution is just "nuh UH voting lurkers D1 is STUPID", when she so conveniently happens to be a lurker.

observe how with "no posts = no information", she pushes the onus on me to explain what information we'd get from her lunch rather than, you know, providing more information by posting herself.

This looks like an argument a person playing their third or fourth mafia game would make and it makes me wonder why Bif is pushing it :raise:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GulagDolls posted:

I'm going to go ahead and make the call that rex is confirmed good.

Even if you know Rex's alleged flavor, is that enough to think he's good? I've been thinking a lot about how these 14 roles could be assigned, and ideally there should be enough room for pure fakeclaims to avoid flavor solving.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

let's see if this gets him talking then

##vote Rex

I can't remember who in F/SN actually plays chess, but there's a couple people I'd guess and neither of em are good :v:

I also don't like this, why you voting for the self voting dude?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

This looks like an argument a person playing their third or fourth mafia game would make and it makes me wonder why Bif is pushing it :raise:

cause I was already looking at Chic as a lurker anyway, so seeing her show up to still post hardly anything except a pre-emptive "boy it would sure be dumb to vote for lukers on D1 though hey" really rubbed me the wrong way. Throwing a vote down and having her go "HOW DARE YOU gently caress YOU" sure didn't help any haha

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

cause maybe if we pressure him he will try and actually play or something instead of just making enigmatic statements about who will be his chess friend

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
we should kill rex because i have no clue what theyre posting about and also because checkers >>>>> chess

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

No I also think Rex is a good

I am feeling Bif / Chic faking a fight with each other right now, hurm, hurm, huurrmmm.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

If you and/or Gulag have ~reasons~ for this, they are not known to me. I can only go by what Rex has deigned to post.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

also y'all might wanna check if there's an "un" in front of that "confirmed" there

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i know what i'm about

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

we should kill rex because i have no clue what theyre posting about and also because checkers >>>>> chess

i think we have nothing to lose from killing this person, however.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Gulag you sound very town so I might listen to you about Rex but what do you think about Quid :v:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Bifauxnen posted:

Gulag you sound very town so I might listen to you about Rex but what do you think about Quid :v:

GulagDolls posted:

Not to be rude, but we need to cut off quid's head immediately.

GulagDolls posted:

kill quid kill quid kill
quid kill quid kill quid kill quid
kill quid kill quid kill
What more is there to say? V:shobon:V

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

don't know what this means

Quidthulhu posted:

it literally says 'let's see if this gets him talking then' so i feel like quid just wants to post things and ask easy questions

Quidthulhu posted:

I am feeling Bif / Chic faking a fight with each other right now, hurm, hurm, huurrmmm.

alien opinion. theres no way chic is faking that and i don't really buy that you think that she is either.

i'd kill quid, still. its very difficult to tell when he's doing this useless meandering bs as town or scum but as a wise man once said, eh

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

ah yes, the case of "quid does this as both town and scum." compelling!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Prince of Space posted:

What more is there to say? V:shobon:V

lol true that, for a sec though it sounded like Quid was implying he was in on Rex's flavor shenanigans too? It'd be interesting if him and Rex and Gulag are all grouped up together and Gulag feels so strongly that Rex is town but Quid should die! But Quid might've just been saying some random poo poo.

GulagDolls posted:

i'd kill quid, still. its very difficult to tell when he's doing this useless meandering bs as town or scum but as a wise man once said, eh

I find it's more often a scum tell when he argues for something really stupid

##vote Quid

it'd be extra funny if him and Chic are scum together and he's going for a real indirect defense, here's hopin

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

ah yes, the case of "quid does this as both town and scum." compelling!

alright gently caress u ##vote quid

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

What's the stupid thing I am arguing, exactly? :confused:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

What's the stupid thing I am arguing, exactly? :confused:

that me and Chic are just faking an argument, for one.

I also was not too impressed by your sly shift from "I like neither the Juchero or Mona cases" to "well obviously when I said 'the cases' I just meant one particular person's case on Juchero, who is a totally different person from who was casing Monathin, and I was not speaking in a general way at all, hrm hrm hrm what could you be up to, trying to misrepresent me when Im being all vague, Bif!"

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

That’s not what I did at all. You said you couldn’t see how I was changing an opinion on Juchero and I clarified that I liked neither my original case or the current case. I also admitted that you were correct in saying that that interpretation wasn’t clear from my original statement, which was part of the reason why I clarified it in the first place.

“Your saying Chic and I are faking it” sounds more like a retroactive extrapolation of your vague comment rather than you actually meaning that at the time.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

That’s not what I did at all. You said you couldn’t see how I was changing an opinion on Juchero and I clarified that I liked neither my original case or the current case. I also admitted that you were correct in saying that that interpretation wasn’t clear from my original statement, which was part of the reason why I clarified it in the first place.

well if that's true, it sure needed clarification, cause saying "you don't like the case" on something sounds rather strange when you open with something like "This is an awful loving vote on me."

But that's funny that you're clarifying further now to say you don't like your original case either! That was the very thing I found hard to believe from you at first. And you seemed to be clarifying that what you "didn't like" was Prince's far inferior case on Juch, based on haikus:

Quidthulhu posted:

I originally voted Juchero because I thought his vote on me was kinda careless and pretty bad. Then I remembered he's real awkward in jokephase and decided it was more likely that he just wasn't thinking about it vs. deliberately trying to sneak a vote in on a turbo candidate or something.

Subsequently, I do not like the "Juchero's haiku insistence was awkward in jokephase" case for the same reason above.

Me not liking that case has no correlation to me unvoting because I changed my mind about the case that I, myself, created initially. They aren't the same case, man.

People can change their minds and have second thoughts, but I don't see why that would make your original reaction any less valid for you to have had at the time. So going from "This is an awful loving vote" to "I don't like the case" rang false to me.

quote:

“Your saying Chic and I are faking it” sounds more like a retroactive extrapolation of your vague comment rather than you actually meaning that at the time.

yup that's right Quid, I know when I get told to go gently caress myself for daring to make the mildest-rear end case ever on some lurker in Mafia, I think it's just awesome and totally reasonable for someone else to roll in all thinking it's a fakeup, so I don't ever roll my eyes at it and find it stupid in any way

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ok so looking back, this must be a gigantic mess of semantic arguments for anyone else to try and follow. I'm going to try and recap things one more time to be more clear.

Quid, this is what I'm confused about rn: you say you made that post to clarify, but I don't see what it even is you needed to clarify. My original complaint was how you went from making such a strong case to saying you didn't like it. And now you're "clarifying" that... no, you didn't mean something totally different about criticizing someone else's case? It was true that you really don't like your own case after all? You actually don't need to correct me on that?

You seem to have shifted gears now, but let's try and be kind and assume that you meant this all along, to saying that your main thing you wanted to clear up is that I missed HOW you came to change your mind on Juch. But that wasn't what pinged me in the first place. What pinged me was you saying you "didn't like the case", which would include your OWN case on Juch, when you had made it so forcefully before. Though you came to have second thoughts about it, you've ostensibly made it for pure meta reasons. People told you that Juch gets mislunched a lot, so you started to doubt yourself and thought "hm, what if I'm just wrong"? It wasn't from anyone pointing out a hole in your actual case, though. Do you no longer think Juch made an awful loving vote? Do you no longer think that was right of you to have had that reaction at the time?

So even if you point that out... it still seems strange to me to say you "don't like the case". And the way you've tried to explain things to me still seems to not flow very naturally.

Maybe it's just you being all flustered and overdoing it with trying to explain things or something. But that's why I've reacted to you the way I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

KhediveRex posted:

I took a quick look. It was largely unhelpful.

I've responded to Bif more than I thought I had. I think i'm developing a cordial acquaintance with Prince of Space. I obviously didn't know either Shinji or Sakura before Bif made a stink about them. I seem to have some prior familiarity with MurmerTwin. I claim this is one of my first mafia games in my opening post, and state I'll play it because I enjoyed the possibility of wackiness.

.... I don't know. Theres not really a lot to go on yet. But I'm prepared to follow your gut on this one.

##vote Rex

Hahaha Rex, you're the best :j:

My gut says town here? I feel like a new scum player would be too self-conscious to post something like that.

That said - Rex: who are your scumbros?

SalTheBard posted:

That was the Death Note mafia game where I clearly showed I knew loving all about chess. I still not even sure what happened that game

I absconded from the scumteam to join the cops and then the cops all blew up :eng99:

• Locked thread