Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG saying you can't do something in a game they'll never release seems like a really bad idea unless the plan is to release a statement informing that due to feedback everything will magically be a different way best community best game keep pledging.

They may be getting close to throwing in the towel. It may be time to start spoon feeding people the reality of the final product.

Though chances are high these guys may be “in the know” but probably not doing exactly what CR wants, which is to not tell anybody the actual state of the finished product. Chances are high that, as everybody expects, what you have had now and for the last 2 years or whatever with the PU is probably not going to get much better, deeper, or meet any dreams.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TStraka/status/955545593069424640
https://twitter.com/TStraka/status/955546473411874817
https://twitter.com/TStraka/status/955561185067270144
https://twitter.com/TStraka/status/955561720902242304
https://twitter.com/TStraka/status/955592360695607298

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The whole absurdity of this project (and of course more recent events) never ceases to amaze me.

I like how reddit is coming up with ways to keep the stolen ship "alive" by having members of your org never signing off. Like passing the torch.

The problem is from a simple standpoint, how does the server know who "possesses" the ship in the first place? You and 10 (haha) others board and fight your way in while you rape and pillage. Does it know that the ten of you in the physics grid are the owners now?

They try to solve one problem which pisses backers off and it creates ten more what-ifs. It's just a loving laugh riot with their total lack of understanding of basic game mechanics and what can happen when you have an idiot at the helm waving his hands.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

lmao this is perfect

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So when CIG ran that vote thing asking backers what they thought about expanding the scope and continuing the fundraising, that was what exactly, would that just be a blatant scam or what?

Because the scope has been shrinking and gameplay mechanics have been disappearing and Chris is starting to look more like a liar and a conman every week now

They raised $100m off that increased scope, and they raised almost another $100m off the kickstarter stretch goals prior to that.

The backers aren't keeping up. The narrative is no longer 'these things take time', it has now become 'we aren't doing that any more'.

I look forward to Chris being asked about the ship stealing mechanics and reassuring everyone that it is in fact still on the table, longer term, in the future, along with VR and pole vaulting.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Dusty Lens posted:

Also there will be a pop quiz on Bionicle lore on page 3609.

If you know the answers to any of these you lose. If you google any of them you lose.

Who was the original consciousness of the Matoran Universe before Mata Nui?

Which Toa mahri wore the Kanohi Faxon, and what is it's power?

How many types of Krana are there?

Who was the first Toa?

Malachite already got the Metru Nui one using what I can only presume is the insane power of Bionicle nerds as opposed to tapping into the collective knowledge of the internet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm getting the impression it might be a while before we can land on a planet and skin animals for pelts.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Give us more money and we'll both be able to add more and build the game faster.

Or remove even the hint of all those wild dream features we suggested you were buying in addition to never delivering on even the most basic form of the game.

It's a flip of the coin really.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Dusty Lens posted:

CIG saying you can't do something in a game they'll never release seems like a really bad idea unless the plan is to release a statement informing that due to feedback everything will magically be a different way best community best game keep pledging.

It kinda seems like a marketing push. I wonder why they would need one of those.

But

- Sandi appears and starts answering questions about the game
- New tier levels for backers come out with even more ranks to incentivize purchasing with ultra rare chariots
- Selling tickets to special concierge events
- CIG_Asshole officially answering that autism chariots will remain a status symbol and can't simply be stolen from other people so you better buy buy buy

Backers should be extremely worried, outside of the actual mechanics CIG is suggesting, because it shows CIG is just saying whatever, whenever about how the game will work with no actual foundation or rules guiding them.

At one point CIG thought it was a good idea to dream with the backers about all of the elaborate piracy mechanics and they sold ships specifically for that purpose while dreaming up mechanics to generate excitement and drive sales. Now they think it's a better idea to protect the investment of the whales and deny the possibility of acquiring ships any other way than buying them completely contradicting themselves.

This is a giant neon flashing "SCAM" sign and none of them see it. At best they are worried about the technical specifications of the current bridge they are being sold.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
When you think about it, they just solved the B'tak problem.

Problem: Other players might do things to interfere with my safe space bubble without my permission!

Previous solution: Create a PvP slider and somehow solve for alllll the different ways in which different slider values have to interact.

New solution: If someone wants your ship, let them take it, give them 2 minutes to fly off into space somewhere, then quickly log out and back in. They're stuck in some rear end end of space without a ride, you get to respawn your ship and go about your day!

They're solving the big design questions here, folks.

Edit: OK, I see they mean that it's when the thief logs out. Still, the original owner isn't going to actually lose anything of value from the theft, so yeah, effectively they're bubble wrapping those pesky sharp edges of player interaction.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 28, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

lol, the PvP slider

CIG dev: What's the PvP slider?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

What would a PvP slider even mean? I can't even theorycraft how such a thing could work.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I'm pretty sure someone thought that they were going to chance upon a older model Freelancer that had been abandoned in space years prior and they would get to read through someones elaborate space journal and salvage a bunch of cargo and maybe polish a pipeline in someone elses space bunk and just marvel over how amazing this real time fully immersive persistent universe is.

That someone probably dropped a bunch of money.

What a dumdum.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

You know what, I get where Erris is coming from and I feel bad for him.

When Elite Dangerous was in early alpha we had the design forum where proposed mechanics were posted and discussed. Said mechanics were further discussed and theorycrafted on Lave Radio.

A picture emerged over 12 months of what the game would become - pure dreams, hope and speculation.

They got maybe 20% of the way there by release.

Erris and co have been stuck in this theorycrafting loop for years now, which is why Erris yearns for more Chris Q&A. That's what fuels their little show in lieu of one single basic functioning game mechanic.

Chris keeps them all there by sticking 'alpha' in front of the builds, that's the only thing insulating them from the reality of 'that's it, that's the game now'

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/LnO_Rebel/status/956841007479476224
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/756236684811984896

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Thoatse posted:

That is definitely some BDSSE bullshit crobbler/cig mumbled into the dream amplifier and this is a huge walkback of mechanics they likely owe tens of millions of dollars of sales to

The solution to this problem was identified by Erris earlier tonight. We need Chris answering more questions, inventing more gameplay by fiat. From his mouth flows a fountain of hope and when it dries, faith dies.

We need Chris, too.

SomethingJones posted:

You know what, I get where Erris is coming from and I feel bad for him.

It is sad. He has these huge mental blocks that keep him from seeing how often his own faith in the word of Chris has made a fool of him. The entire history of Relay and INN prior are a chronicle of wasted time because all the transcribing, all the writing, all the talking and thinking has left him exactly as he was when he began. I don’t bear him ill will; even when he rages it’s far less grating than some snottier folks like Gio or global condescenders like Montoya.

But man, Erris. Question your foundational assumptions every once in a while. Come on, man — it’s called adulthood, it’s not as bad as you may have heard!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 28, 2018

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Quavers posted:

The gradual walking back of promised features and gameplay continues:

Phew. All those ships bought with real money are a lot safer now. Pay2Win hype!

REALITY OF AN ACTUAL GAME MECHANIC COMES CRASHING IN. Oh my God, the DREAMS. The CRUSHED INFINITE DREAMS.

lol at all of this poo poo. You're not controlling your ship; you're controlling the hand of the spaceman, controlling the ship.

Except that there IS no ship, because you stole it, and it just disappeared from the universe <because reasons>.

Such a real world. In ~dreams~ only.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

The solution to this problem was identified by Erris earlier tonight. We need Chris answering more questions, inventing more gameplay by fiat. From his mouth flows a fountain of hope and when it dries, faith dies.

We need Chris, too.

Are you trying to give SomethingJones an aneurysm?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dusty Lens posted:

If you know the answers to any of these you lose. If you google any of them you lose.
:toot:

quote:

Who was the original consciousness of the Matoran Universe before Mata Nui?
Tren Krom.

quote:

Which Toa mahri wore the Kanohi Faxon, and what is it's power?
Hahli. The Mask of Kindred; Great Mask allowed the copying of any Rahi ability in a general environment, Noble only allowed copying of Rahi in a more specific, limited range. (Any water creature vs must be a specific fish)

quote:

How many types of Krana are there?
8. 16 if you include the Krana-Kal as a rank.

quote:

Who was the first Toa?
Helryx, who was a Toa of Water.

quote:

Malachite already got the Metru Nui one using what I can only presume is the insane power of Bionicle nerds as opposed to tapping into the collective knowledge of the internet.
I fuckin' lived and breathed Bionicle all through my teenage years and early adulthood. Still love it, kinda-crappy reboot attempt be damned.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 28, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm pretty sure someone thought that they were going to chance upon a older model Freelancer that had been abandoned in space years prior and they would get to read through someones elaborate space journal and salvage a bunch of cargo and maybe polish a pipeline in someone elses space bunk and just marvel over how amazing this real time fully immersive persistent universe is.

That someone probably dropped a bunch of money.

What a dumdum.

Imagine if you will finding a derelict Freelancer in the 400 sextillion Km^2 of space. You bore a hole through its side and enter the craft. There is no cargo. Only a mummified b'tak sitting on the porcelain throne remains.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone else remember when they started tracking model years of ships?

I do.

I can't find a trace of that on their pages anymore. I guess they gave up that idea, at least.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I fuckin' lived and breathed Bionicle all through my teenage years and early adulthood. Still love it, kinda-crappy reboot attempt be damned.

I asked my buddy to rattle off 5 Bionicle questions for me and he popped those out in a half beat. The only answer he provided that differed from yours was 8 for the types of Krana, but from best I can tell regarding your answer you would have arrived at the same place had I provided more specifics. So I'm going to go ahead and give you full marks.

I don't know poo poo about Bionicle save what little I've picked up over the years from the guy. In all seriousness I've always been impressed at just how far their team ran with the basic idea they were given and how into it their fans could get.

You get a 10/10 on bonkle knowledge. Truly the best fandom.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

XK posted:

Does anyone else remember when they started tracking model years of ships?

I do.

I can't find a trace of that on their pages anymore. I guess they gave up that idea, at least.

Are you thinking of answer 5 here http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/10_for_the_Chairman_Episode_34

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Actual Space Games You Can Play news, Helium Rain is on Steam Early Access for fifteen bucks and has some pretty rad space battles in skirmish mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeDdDcimaqk

You can also build space stations and stuff in sandbox mode, here's a cool screenshot I took

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Malachite_Dragon posted:

All through your teenage years and early adulthood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxiLPdvnfqE

:thunk:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

B'tak not feeling grief makes me feel grief.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

XK posted:

TAKUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Honestly that movie is amazingly bad. It's a symphony of awful. It's a wonder of the artform.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

No, they actually had model years tagged onto the ship page urls. Like, the Polaris page was

oops, just found it:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15546-The-2946-RSI-Polaris

The 2946 RSI Polaris. They were starting to murmur about ship model years right around this time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

XK posted:

No, they actually had model years tagged onto the ship page urls. Like, the Polaris page was

oops, just found it:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15546-The-2946-RSI-Polaris

The 2946 RSI Polaris. They were starting to murmur about ship model years right around this time.

Gotcha. I like that concept art. Tiny tanker trunk with hoses sized so large they could empty it in probably a couple seconds.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

XK posted:

You'll notice I never mentioned the amazing terrible and MST3K-worthy movies :v:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

XK posted:

lol, the PvP slider

CIG dev: What's the PvP slider?

Oh, snap...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

Gotcha. I like that concept art. Tiny tanker trunk with hoses sized so large they could empty it in probably a couple seconds.

The RSI Polaris is the Fuzzy Modem ship.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Anyone who has been following this shitshow long enough has probably seen this happen before. Whenever a dev fucks up and actually answers some questions things quickly get out of control before Monday rolls around and someone reels things back in with some damage control and they switch back to delivering trivia through youtube.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 28, 2018

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

Oh, snap...

Maybe if you're going to be answering questions for a hyper obsessed fanbase that literally has had nothing of consequence to do but theorycraft and slave over game design/features for 5 years, you should have actual knowledge of the subject instead of telling them "if that was a thing".

(I know the irony here of us knowing this poo poo, but we aren't in the position to have our very faith rocked by devs alluding to the fact that all that's behind the curtain is smoke and mirrors.)

XK
Jul 9, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_oSsy9Et-g&t=982s

All yours for just $750.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Mr Fronts posted:

Oh, snap...

I love when this happens. The dev not having heard of the PvP slider is a thing that also literally happened.

It would be hard to beat Ben Parry and his CryEngine/Lumberyard chart, but they're going to keep trying.

Every time a CIG dev says, "If that was a thing" an angel gets its wings.

XK fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 28, 2018

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

I thought it was odd that he got his own Org name wrong... seeing as he founded it...

...but then again, who remembers the specifics of things that happened so long ago?

SO

MUCH

DREAM

CRAFTING

CIG, in 2018: "Yeah, no."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SomethingJones posted:

Jared keep giving him rope, you are doing an AWESOME job.

Star Citizen: it's epic tasks all the way down.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You'll notice I never mentioned the amazing terrible and MST3K-worthy movies :v:

lol you watched them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

When the Last Parp sounds, the kingdom of heaven will open its gates to the faithful. On that glorious day, Christ Roberts will make sure all citizens' dreams come true. Even the one about stealing spaceships * and raping their crews **.

* actual expectation of citizens
** gameplay mechanic actually requested by a citizen