Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MOTYC: Johnny Wrestling vs Andrade Almas, NXT Takeover Philly

This was imo better than anything at the Tokyo Dome this year and the early frontrunner for moty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
MOTYC - Almas v. Gargano, NXT Takeover Philadelphia

oh my god

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

St Evan Echoes posted:

2nd.

Holy gently caress that was amazing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

This was imo better than anything at the Tokyo Dome this year and the early frontrunner for moty

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
MOTYC: Andrade Cien Almas vs. Johnny Wrestling, NXT Takeover Philly

I can't even

What is reality

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MOTYC: Andrade "Cien" Almas vs. Johnny Gargano, NXT Takeover: Philadelphia

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MOTYC: Andrade Cien Almas vs Johnny Gargano, NXT Takeover: Philadelphia

That's going to be impossible for anyone tomorrow to top

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Motyc Gargano vs Almas NXT Philadelphia

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
MOTYC: Johnny Gargano vs Andrade "Cien" Almas NXT Takeover Philly 1/27/18

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

that poo poo was fuckin bonkers dude

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the hardcore match was fun but that main event yall, an all-time high for nxt

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

Gargano has no peers today in traditional babyface wrestling. Bumping, selling, gaining sympathy from the crowd - he’s as good as we have. Obviously, it’s possible I’m a prisoner of the moment here, but that felt like five stars.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
MOTY: Johnny Gangano vs. Andrade "Cien" Almas, NXT Takeover Philly
MOTY: - Aleister Black vs. Adam Cole, NXT Takeover Philly
HM: The Undisputed Era vs Authors of Pain, NXT Takeover: Philly

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

St Evan Echoes posted:

:emptyquote:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Yeah count me in for Black/Cole and Gargano/Almas for MOTYC

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Johnny Gargano vs Andrade "Cien" Almas NXT Takeover Philly 1/27/18

yeah. I would have gone HM on Cole/Black but it's already an MOTYC now so there's no point.

Last two matches were great and saved that from being the worst Takeover though.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

nth, who'd have thought the two best matches of the year would be back to back at this one Takeover, God drat

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mkay0 posted:

Gargano has no peers today in traditional babyface wrestling. Bumping, selling, gaining sympathy from the crowd - he’s as good as we have. Obviously, it’s possible I’m a prisoner of the moment here, but that felt like five stars.

agreed but i hope dave gives it 4.5 for laughs

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

oatgan posted:

it'll be 4.75

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Hey has anyone said Andrade Cien Almas vs. Johnny Gargano for the NXT Championship at NXT Takeover Philadelphia on 1/27/2018? I thought it at least deserved a HM!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That was MOTYC.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Gargano vs Almas is MOTY so far for me. Best WWE match since 2013 imo. And it may be top 5 all time for WWE. God drat

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Venomous posted:

nth, who'd have thought the two best matches of the year would be back to back at this one Takeover, God drat

i wouldn't go that far. i really really liked the extreme rules match but i don't think it touched omega vs jericho, or even the other top matches at wrestle kingdom, which was still a better top to bottom show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

Dave gives it 5 stars, then declares that actually everybody currently in the room gets 5 stars.

The Revival rush into the room 15 seconds later, but it's too late.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

oatgan posted:

Wednesday night can’t come soon enough

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi (C) vs Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at The New Beginning in Sapporo Day 1 - 1/27

It was hovering around the HM mark but the final, excruciating, horrifying 5-10 minutes pushed it over the edge. The torture of Tanahashi by the sadist Suzuki was incredible to watch, the ending and the aftermath etc all just made it a must-watch. What a great match.

Nth this. The Assassination Of Hiroshi Tanahashi By The Coward Minoru Suzuki. At 49 years old, Suzuki is still the baddest motherfucker in a wrestling ring.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

i wouldn't go that far. i really really liked the extreme rules match but i don't think it touched omega vs jericho, or even the other top matches at wrestle kingdom, which was still a better top to bottom show

tbh it comes down to personal preference, and I honestly thought Black/Cole told a much better story than Omega/Jericho, though I loved that too so

I mean I prefer the WWE style of storytelling to NJPW's when it's done well (like Black/Cole and Gargano/Almas), but a lot of the time (mainly on the main roster) the match quality falls so far below the mark for one reason or another that NJPW just blows it out of the water in comparison, so idk, it's a subjective thing

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Wrestle Kingdom was a much better show and Takeover didn't top it but I do think Tanahashi/Suzuki and Almas/Gargano were better matches as a whole than any of the dome matches.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tanahashi/Suzuki is definitely the MOTY for me so far

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Venomous posted:

tbh it comes down to personal preference, and I honestly thought Black/Cole told a much better story than Omega/Jericho, though I loved that too so

I mean I prefer the WWE style of storytelling to NJPW's when it's done well (like Black/Cole and Gargano/Almas), but a lot of the time (mainly on the main roster) the match quality falls so far below the mark for one reason or another that NJPW just blows it out of the water in comparison, so idk, it's a subjective thing

totally fair! not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, i just definitely tend to prefer the new japan style.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi 3K (NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo 1/28

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MOTYC: Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi

They are v. cute together.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yeah it was unfortunately the only very good match on the Day 2 card.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In-ring wise, Day 2 was okay but nothing great.

The post-match stuff for Omega/Jay White was outta this world amazing though. I hope everybody watches at least the last 5 minutes of the main event and then everything that happened afterwards because it ruled.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Yeah it was unfortunately the only very good match on the Day 2 card.

I would have gone HM for Omega/Jay if the crowd have a poo poo about Jay but Jay is still looking for that break out moment as it stands.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I would have gone HM for Omega/Jay if the crowd have a poo poo about Jay but Jay is still looking for that break out moment as it stands.

That and also it took them forever to get to the interesting bits. Like, a good 10-15 minutes or so.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

3rd, though the aftermath of Kenny/White was the best part of the show.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

MOTYC for Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki from night 1, HM for the Young Bucks vs Roppongi 3k from night 2. not the best couple of shows new japan has put on recently. omega vs jay white was technically good but i thought it was too long and jay white is really not clicking with this character in this position. the angle at the end was more enjoyable than the match

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jay should probably have been brought back as a junior and then move him up to heavyweight if he caught fire, like Omega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

MOTYC for Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki from night 1, HM for the Young Bucks vs Roppongi 3k from night 2. not the best couple of shows new japan has put on recently. omega vs jay white was technically good but i thought it was too long and jay white is really not clicking with this character in this position. the angle at the end was more enjoyable than the match

i understand why they split the card in two and they certainly sold enough tickets to justify running two nights but as a viewer i was fastforwarding through most of it

the february new beginning card looks much stronger though