Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
magical trash bag of a show and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Just mainlined BoJack Horseman last week and I have to say that I haven't been this entertained by a cartoon since Duckman.

Went into the first season without knowing much about it and was hooked by Arnett's voice and the catchy intro/endcredits. It even made me laugh a couple of times, but as the seasons progress it becomes more clever than outright funny, and it stops pulling its punches and can become downright savage and bleak. The last season had some storylines that did not seem to go anywhere - specifically with the side character Todd - but all in all it was well written, directed, animated and cast. A very solid suggestion.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Back when BoJack started, I wasn't too keen on it during the first few episodes, but I kept going based on the intro and world alone.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BoJack is a pretty darn good show and I just hope it doesn't somehow explode into Rick and Morty levels of annoying fandom. Hasn't happened yet, but I could see it.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

BoJack is a pretty darn good show and I just hope it doesn't somehow explode into Rick and Morty levels of annoying fandom. Hasn't happened yet, but I could see it.

Don't see that happening; it lacks the quirky, upbeat quality or catchphrases that turned Rick and Morty instantly into a meme. But I share your concern: a fan base like that would run it into the ground in the blink of an eye.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

bowmore posted:

The Magicians is loving magic

Literally and figuratively. :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely don’t see BoJack getting a toxic fanbase but the “it’s a cartoon!!! but it’s about depression!!!! but it’s a cartoon!! but it’s sad and adult!!! but IT’S A CARTOON!!!!!” people have been quite irritating for at least a couple years now

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
BoJack is definitely well grounded in a reality similar to our own, except with animal puns, and I think that helps. It also helps that it's willing to dig a hole and stay there quite uncomfortably.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

gently caress now I want to watch Duckman again

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

gently caress now I want to watch Duckman again

DO IT.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Only 8 episodes into season 2 of The Magicians but Margot is mvp so far, with Elliot a very close second.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I liked most of season 1 of The Magicians, but Julia's rape was a horrible plot point. There was no reason for the writers to put that in there except as an edgy plot twist, having the god slaughter everyone else would have been enough. Please tell me that she isn't pregnant in Season 2.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Konstantin posted:

I liked most of season 1 of The Magicians, but Julia's rape was a horrible plot point. There was no reason for the writers to put that in there except as an edgy plot twist, having the god slaughter everyone else would have been enough. Please tell me that she isn't pregnant in Season 2.

Search your heart.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Konstantin posted:

It's legacy material from the book series they're adapting. If anything, they probably handle it better than the books do.

(And, if the first episode of the third season is anything to go by, the ramifications are still going. i.e. it's not a disposable single season plotline, thank god.)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Colony S2: What the hell, Snyder?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Definitely don’t see BoJack getting a toxic fanbase but the “it’s a cartoon!!! but it’s about depression!!!! but it’s a cartoon!! but it’s sad and adult!!! but IT’S A CARTOON!!!!!” people have been quite irritating for at least a couple years now

Is that two people arguing or one person going insane

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the latter, freaking out about how drawings can also be meaningful and poo poo

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I kinda like Van Helsing. Tuned in for campy schlock but after a slow start it's now fairly entertaining.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bates posted:

I kinda like Van Helsing. Tuned in for campy schlock but after a slow start it's now fairly entertaining.

Season 2 is a face melter

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Binged through Devilman on Netflix. Despite being incredibly stupid, I enjoyed it. The last couple episodes really spiraled way more out of control than I was expecting. First few episodes almost made me stop watching because it felt kinda gross. I don't know if I can recommend it, but it isn't as dumb as it begins.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I went back to Lucifer as it's good enough in the background while I play with my phone, but this manic pixie dreamgirl lab tech character still annoys me. She seems to exist mostly to provide exposition on her own quirky backstory (Did you know I stole cars? Did you know I used to count cards and was amazing at it? I'm such a nerd!), and everyone loves her, and she does more detective work than either of the detective leads (although Dan was always pretty much redundant in that respect). She's supposed to be religious but since it's tepid "faith as a broad concept" nonsense it doesn't lead to anything when she's literally working with the devil.

I'm watching the third season and she's getting her own b-plots now. But nothing happens in them. There's no drama there. Or comedy. It's just her kooky life, isn't she great?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Binged through Suburra the TV series on Netflix.

On the surface, being another well made Italian organized crime drama, it would look quite like the Gomorrah series. The similarities are in high production values and good, well paced writing. I was surprised there is almost nothing shared between them: different companies, writers, directors, cast, locations, etc.

I though Suburrah did not have quite as intricately fleshed out, The Wire-esque world details and nuances of the criminal world as the Gomorrah series. On the other hand, it is more character-driven, and features a number of outstanding young actors. The character of Aureliano was particularly fascinating: it's like young Joaquin Phoenix's Emperor Commodus from The Gladiator reincarnated as a millennial gangster. The script is fast paced and good, albeit I thought there were a couple of missteps with the gay plotline.

One more thing. Do not watch the 2015 film with the same title, to which the series is a prequel. The film treats very carelessly a number of plotlines and relationships the series intricately sets up, and overall ends with a disappointment. I mean, even more of a disappointment than involvement with mafia in these things usually does.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 27, 2018

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I've watched all of the first season of Fortitude since yesterday and it straight owns. I dunno I guess I'm kinda late to this party but once I got past being unable to distinguish between seven different scruffy white behatted men (had the same problem with game of thrones even though I'd read all the books) it is great. The weird social dynamics, lack of agency and cloak of contingency throughout the central plot line is really well done. the sort of... perversion of stereotypes and progressive acceptance of what would be considered taboo, with several unreliable narrators, also rules. It's just grand. And of course the landscape and acting is real good too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I've watched all of the first season of Fortitude since yesterday and it straight owns. I dunno I guess I'm kinda late to this party but once I got past being unable to distinguish between seven different scruffy white behatted men (had the same problem with game of thrones even though I'd read all the books) it is great. The weird social dynamics, lack of agency and cloak of contingency throughout the central plot line is really well done. the sort of... perversion of stereotypes and progressive acceptance of what would be considered taboo, with several unreliable narrators, also rules. It's just grand. And of course the landscape and acting is real good too.

Hey, awesome.

I'd be interested to hear what you make of the second season -- I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I loved how intense it became.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hey, awesome.

I'd be interested to hear what you make of the second season -- I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I loved how intense it became.

So far lots of Ingrid and Petra who are my faves so thumbs up after two eps, I'll trip report later.

Meanwhile anyone else who enjoys thrillers should watch this poo poo if you have amazon prime. Free!

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

sassassin posted:

I'm watching the third season and she's getting her own b-plots now. But nothing happens in them. There's no drama there. Or comedy. It's just her kooky life, isn't she great?

My best guess is that her character was introduced partly as a short-term solution to casting issues: they wanted a B-plot-suitable supporting character who could reduce the workload on the leads and add off-kilter comedic notes to a scene, but Maze's actress was going to be off having her baby, and it's too hard to schedule child actors for them to be able to use Trixie for more than brief cameos and occasional feature episodes, so here comes the crrraaaaazy CSI. Plus, it lets them wrap up the increasingly-sidelined mystery-of-the-week plots faster (one scene to say "the evidence proves ____ did it!" instead of multiple investigation/discussion scenes), and besides, "quirky goth CSI" worked for NCIS so it's gotta work everywhere, right?

I'm with you on the essential pointlessness of Ella. There was a brief window when she was introduced where they could have used her to reveal interesting stuff about god and his kids, or could have used her to apply pressure to other characters, but none of that ever happened, and now she's just a wacky-neighbor schtick being repeated endlessly. I don't hate her as a character, but she's so obviously filler material at this point that it's hard to give a poo poo about anything she does in a scene.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Trilobite posted:

My best guess is that her character was introduced partly as a short-term solution to casting issues: they wanted a B-plot-suitable supporting character who could reduce the workload on the leads and add off-kilter comedic notes to a scene, but Maze's actress was going to be off having her baby, and it's too hard to schedule child actors for them to be able to use Trixie for more than brief cameos and occasional feature episodes, so here comes the crrraaaaazy CSI. Plus, it lets them wrap up the increasingly-sidelined mystery-of-the-week plots faster (one scene to say "the evidence proves ____ did it!" instead of multiple investigation/discussion scenes), and besides, "quirky goth CSI" worked for NCIS so it's gotta work everywhere, right?

I'm with you on the essential pointlessness of Ella. There was a brief window when she was introduced where they could have used her to reveal interesting stuff about god and his kids, or could have used her to apply pressure to other characters, but none of that ever happened, and now she's just a wacky-neighbor schtick being repeated endlessly. I don't hate her as a character, but she's so obviously filler material at this point that it's hard to give a poo poo about anything she does in a scene.

That does make sense, actually. I'd been wondering about Maze's absence. I just assumed they'd run out of things to do with her. The Canada episode is pretty much a capstone on her arc.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hey, awesome.

First season starts strong and finishes weak.

Second season starts weak and finishes holy poo poo yesss.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sassassin posted:

First season starts strong and finishes weak.

Second season starts weak and finishes holy poo poo yesss.

But the second half of the first season has the wasps!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished Castlevania on Netflix. It is very short but I actually liked it a lot and excited for season 2.

I have never played any Castlevania games but love the idea of it. The animation in this show was pretty good, the music is also nice and the writing is a bit jarring at times but funny as well.

What is the general consensus on this show if anyone here watched it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We finished season 2 of The Magicians last night and while I did enjoy it, I liked season 1 better. I feel like once The Beast is dealt with the plot becomes less focused and it isn't until the last episode that there's a real sense of urgency again. Some of my favorite parts of season 1 where the flashes of the story of the Chatwins and that being a non-factor in season 2 is probably my biggest disappointment. I still dislike Julia, she only became tolerable in the last few episodes. Margot and Elliot really take center stage in a lot of the season and I'm looking forward to seeing where they end up with the Fillory drama. I said earlier in the thread that Margot was my front runner for season MVP and I still think that. She's a headstrong rear end in a top hat and causes a lot of problems because of that, and it's entertaining the entire time. Season 1 ends on such a high note with an amazing cliffhanger and I can't really say the same for season 2.

I'll be looking forward to watching season 3 in a year when it hits Netflix. Assuming SyFy doesn't break out into its own service and pull the content by then!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

I've started watching Person of Interest and while I'm enjoying it so far up to episode 9, does it get better as far as having a season wide story arc or is it just going to be "monster of the week" for the next bit? I've read online that it becomes more serialized, when does this happen? Can I skip some of these early episodes?

Split season two's episodes into three equally sized portions. Pick one random episode from the middle one. Start there and continue chronologically. You will enjoy it the maximum amount this way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ulio posted:

Just finished Castlevania on Netflix. It is very short but I actually liked it a lot and excited for season 2.

I have never played any Castlevania games but love the idea of it. The animation in this show was pretty good, the music is also nice and the writing is a bit jarring at times but funny as well.

What is the general consensus on this show if anyone here watched it.

I thought it was OK. Probably will watch the second season.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also I forgot, I just finished Black Mirror because friends of mine who have similar taste as me kept recommending it to me. Holy gently caress is it good. The comparison's to Twilight Zone are warranted as it does talk about some very important issues in modern society especially regarding the advancement of technology. A lot of the scary things in this show seem to slowly becoming true which is what is amazing or not so amazing.

The production of the show is also very good and I recognized only 2 actors in season 1 but man most of these actors even in minor roles were great.

I will probably binge season 2-3-4 by next week if it stays as good as it was in season 1.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Wife and I are working through Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix. Yes it's another show about a white guy wandering the world soaking in the food and culture of wherever he goes but Phil is just so drat enthusiastic about it that I can't help but enjoy it. Also he meets a lot of interesting people in all of these places.

Ulio posted:

Also I forgot, I just finished Black Mirror because friends of mine who have similar taste as me kept recommending it to me. Holy gently caress is it good. The comparison's to Twilight Zone are warranted as it does talk about some very important issues in modern society especially regarding the advancement of technology. A lot of the scary things in this show seem to slowly becoming true which is what is amazing or not so amazing.

The production of the show is also very good and I recognized only 2 actors in season 1 but man most of these actors even in minor roles were great.

I will probably binge season 2-3-4 by next week if it stays as good as it was in season 1.

The thing with Black Mirror that I always tell people is to absolutely not binge it. I feel like just slamming episodes of that show back to back to back without giving yourself time to digest each one is kind of missing the intended purpose of the show. Give yourself a break after each episode if you're not doing so already.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

I can't decide if I like The Patriot but it's worth a watch. It's sad and funny and odd. Plus it has Terry O'Quinn.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

C-Euro posted:

The thing with Black Mirror that I always tell people is to absolutely not binge it. I feel like just slamming episodes of that show back to back to back without giving yourself time to digest each one is kind of missing the intended purpose of the show. Give yourself a break after each episode if you're not doing so already.

I definitely agree with that too. I might take it slowly since there isn't much of it anyway.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Season 4 of Black Mirror has been out for a month now and I have only watched three of the six episodes despite it being one of my top shows. Definitely take it slow.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ulio posted:

Season 3 is definitely not quite as consistent, but still gives you at least 3 fantastic episodes.

As said, don't binge it if you value your soul.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, Season 4 of Black Mirror has been out for a month now and I have only watched three of the six episodes despite it being one of my top shows. Definitely take it slow.

Hang and DJ and Callister are the only good episodes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mu Zeta posted:

Hang and DJ and Callister are the only good episodes anyway.

Truth