Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Tired Moritz posted:

we should kill rex because i have no clue what theyre posting about

Hah that's how I feel about everyone posting about flavor stuff this game.

I'm feeling a bit suss on TM - I know he's not typically a :words:-y poster but he seems more hands-off than usual so far.

That said, I'm still feeling my vote on Monathin until he at least responds to my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

I find it's more often a scum tell when he argues for something really stupid

##vote Quid

Haha that's alignment neutral for Quid :j:

said Murmur from her glass house

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

cause I was already looking at Chic as a lurker anyway, so seeing her show up to still post hardly anything except a pre-emptive "boy it would sure be dumb to vote for lukers on D1 though hey" really rubbed me the wrong way. Throwing a vote down and having her go "HOW DARE YOU gently caress YOU" sure didn't help any haha

I think this might be one of those cases where you stop and consider "if she were actually town and frustrated at being cased for not showing up on a weekend d1, is her reaction believable?" and I personally think it is.

I'm not saying she's town (still null there) but lately I've been trying to believe people when they seem angry enough to tell others off and I'd prefer to avoid the game going in a more personal-attacks direction. :ohdear:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

I think this might be one of those cases where you stop and consider "if she were actually town and frustrated at being cased for not showing up on a weekend d1, is her reaction believable?" and I personally think it is.

I'm not saying she's town (still null there) but lately I've been trying to believe people when they seem angry enough to tell others off and I'd prefer to avoid the game going in a more personal-attacks direction. :ohdear:

It's more the combination of that, and seeing her make the same "uhh what" reaction as me to Rex in realtime. But in both cases, couldn't find out till I got there.

Quid seems a LOT harder to read his reactions, though. Like I could see some possibility that I just have my own interpretation of why he sounded suss, but it's just not true, so he's getting stuck now arguing for weird things to try and prove something to me and lash out in a counterattack, but it's all based on some quirk of wording and now he's all Quidding it up out of control. But.... I can also see that as his scum spam strategy where he just keeps talking and talking and layering it up until hopefully some of it sounds believable enough.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i want to believe in chic for now

b-minus tho umu

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
MOD EDIT: THIS POST WAS LIES.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 28, 2018

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

50 pounds of bread posted:

GRRRRAAAAAAGHHHHHHHH

PROTECT... GIRL... KILL... ENEMY

##VOTE TOBBS

yikes

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Hello friends.

We're going to hit the D1 lurker cutoff soon and these are the current post standings.

Pretty good so far. TM and Chic Trombone, post more otherwise you might be in line for a free kill if the hammer hits.

far be it from me to tell a mod how to mod but i think you need to take an updated look at post standings

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

additionally there's no way 50 has made that many posts

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
i cant believe i made so little posts tbh. im ashamed... this might be the first time I actually got warned for low content

hold up, is bminus in this game or what

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Chic Trombone posted:

additionally there's no way 50 has made that many posts

Yeah he's made maybe 6 or 7 since the game started.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Yeah he's made maybe 6 or 7 since the game started.

And zero with any content.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

yeah i'm honestly just confused at those standings

in other news: after review, rex's scumbuddies would probably be coaching them more to post less uselessly, so i'm not as firm in that read as i was. i'm still suspicious of them, though

i'll take a look at quid when i get the chance today

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
no loving way am I giving bif a free kill on me so

actually, that might be a reason why bif is posting so much because this case on quid feels like its on shaky ground

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

actually i think i know what's up with those post listings now, Nat20 did you just look at the numbers and assume people would be in the same position re: names that they were at the beginning of the game?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

actually, that might be a reason why bif is posting so much

not a fan of this take

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
im not saying bif is scum/or she specifically want to shoot me (because theres no way for her to have any control over my posting numbers)

im saying she just want that gun for strategic/lol reasons

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Chic Trombone posted:

actually i think i know what's up with those post listings now, Nat20 did you just look at the numbers and assume people would be in the same position re: names that they were at the beginning of the game?

Good chance something messed up with my lookup, I'll do a quick doublecheck now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

An accurate list.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
##vote bminus

wakey wakey its playhouse disney

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tired Moritz posted:

im not saying bif is scum/or she specifically want to shoot me (because theres no way for her to have any control over my posting numbers)

That's not alignment indicative.

A town player would want the gun in their own hands as much as scum would. Also, Bif is actually scumhunting/putting pressure on players.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
do you agree with bif's case though

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tired Moritz posted:

do you agree with bif's case though

On who, Quid?

I've got a town read on Bif and gulag, so my impression of the (light as it is) Quid push isn't a scum push.

I need to look at Quid, but my impression is that town Quid pushes cases, good or bad, and scum Quid is more defensive/evasive.

Chic seemed...aggressively defensive, and whether it's genuine or a little forced, it tends to be an effective scum tactic for many players.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidthulhu posted:

This is an awful loving vote on me. Really, after joke voting myself, any town member should be thinking twice about putting a vote on me.

##vote Juchero

Quidthulhu posted:

I like neither the Juchero or Mona cases.

##unvote

Quidthulhu posted:

I originally voted Juchero because I thought his vote on me was kinda careless and pretty bad. Then I remembered he's real awkward in jokephase and decided it was more likely that he just wasn't thinking about it vs. deliberately trying to sneak a vote in on a turbo candidate or something.

Subsequently, I do not like the "Juchero's haiku insistence was awkward in jokephase" case for the same reason above.

Me not liking that case has no correlation to me unvoting because I changed my mind about the case that I, myself, created initially. They aren't the same case, man.

Quidthulhu posted:

That’s not what I did at all. You said you couldn’t see how I was changing an opinion on Juchero and I clarified that I liked neither my original case or the current case. I also admitted that you were correct in saying that that interpretation wasn’t clear from my original statement, which was part of the reason why I clarified it in the first place.

“Your saying Chic and I are faking it” sounds more like a retroactive extrapolation of your vague comment rather than you actually meaning that at the time.

To me, this reads as someone who is overly critical of their own vote. I think Quid realized that his self-vote has nothing to do with his alignment, so his explanation for voting Juchero is pretty bad. A better reason would be that dropping a joke vote on a self-voting player and putting him at -4 is a pretty scummy thing to do.

Quid wasn't thinking about whether Juchero was town or scum, rather he saw that Juchero's vote was bad so he dropped the right vote for bad reasons. The backtracking looks bad, but it's hard for me to tell whether he's being genuine or not. I feel like town Quid would modify his case and push it, rather than back off so quickly. Juchero's vote was pretty bad, even if Quid's reasoning was off.

So yeah, we've got an evasive, defensive, conciliatory scum Quid. Some good (or even bad) casing with follow-through might change my mind, but for now ##vote Quid

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Tired Moritz posted:

##vote bminus

wakey wakey its playhouse disney

yeah yeah im here getting caught up. busy night last night.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Chic Trombone posted:

not a fan of this take

lol seriously

actually I forgot this game had lurker guns, hot drat

I'd kind of like it if someone else got it so I
I don't need to be the one responsible for shooting B-, but that's probably just useless wishful thinking

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

i mean it's not like they're posting white noise nonsense to up their postcount or anything so idk why you'd think they were specifically aiming for the lurker vig

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Bifauxnen posted:

Even if you know Rex's alleged flavor, is that enough to think he's good? I've been thinking a lot about how these 14 roles could be assigned, and ideally there should be enough room for pure fakeclaims to avoid flavor solving.

Bifauxnen posted:

also y'all might wanna check if there's an "un" in front of that "confirmed" there

I strongly agree with both of these posts. Part of the reason I haven't posted a lot (along with being in two mafia games, but that's on me) is that I've been trying to learn as much as I can about flavor because it seems like it absolutely is going to play a part in figuring out roles/alignments.

For these reasons, I just wanna get my quick reads out there before I go back and carefully read the thread again.

lean town:
juchero
bif
gulag
50 pounds

lean scum:
tm
quid

neutral on everyone else for the moment

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Chic Trombone posted:

i mean it's not like they're posting white noise nonsense to up their postcount or anything so idk why you'd think they were specifically aiming for the lurker vig

i thought it was strange for someone to make 70+ posts in D1 but I remember that I was talking about bif in a game flavored with something she liked so nevermind

still not personally convinced by the case on quid tbh

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I need to look at Quid, but my impression is that town Quid pushes cases, good or bad, and scum Quid is more defensive/evasive.

this is my impression as well. He basically has played the whole game on defense ever since juchero's fourth vote.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
why do you townread 50 pounds

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

lol seriously

actually I forgot this game had lurker guns, hot drat

I'd kind of like it if someone else got it so I
I don't need to be the one responsible for shooting B-, but that's probably just useless wishful thinking

Wow I was unaware of the lurker gun thing, that's awesome.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I second this question

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm hoping that 50 is just trying some clever "best Mafia player ever" gambit and that he'll name the scumteam after a day of BLARGHing and not saying anything?

I definitely lean closer to scum than town for the time being. That said, for those casing him for low game content, I'd argue Monathin has less - at least 50 softclaimed flavor and voted somewhere.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Chic Trombone posted:

I second this question

Also, thirding this question.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

THINKING... HARD...

ONLY... FIGHT... ONLY... PROTECT...

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
y'know i know we're not supposed to make flavor arguments

but i'm preeeeetty sure berserker is bad news?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Bifauxnen posted:

Quid, this is what I'm confused about rn: you say you made that post to clarify, but I don't see what it even is you needed to clarify. My original complaint was how you went from making such a strong case to saying you didn't like it. And now you're "clarifying" that... no, you didn't mean something totally different about criticizing someone else's case? It was true that you really don't like your own case after all? You actually don't need to correct me on that?

This is untrue; Bif's entire thread of posting on poking me over this originally was grounded in "I don't get what you're saying, Quid, clarify it":

Bifauxnen posted:

Man, that sure is a 180, did the haiku change your mind that much?

Bifauxnen posted:

I forgot it was there, since I thought it was odd to go from the way you sounded when you voted, to "not liking the case". If you're just having second thoughts and feeling less sure of yourself in voting Juch, okay, that's one thing. But that doesn't seem to line up with you saying you don't like the case at all. Back when the case was first made you had those strong statements on why you thought Juch deserved your vote at that time.

Bifauxnen posted:

well that isnt very clear when all you say is you just dont like "the case" :v:

That second post in particular is basically coaching me into giving a correction on what I said. She's now turned her case around and grounded it in me...over explaining myself?

##vote Bif her casing is reading incredibly fake to me

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
like maybe it's a 3p team or something but

i'd prefer not to be smashed into goo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Tired Moritz posted:

his posts, while containing mostly gibberish, appear to be in somewhat in alignment with my current interpretation of how flavor works in this game.

• Locked thread