Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The low point of PBP man commentary is Mauro talking about tide pods.

The high point was Joey Styles' line about Mike Awesome's suicide dive.

Also, outside of heel Cole which was an abomination, I think Cole is fine. The PBP guy is kind of a thankless position in many respects, especially in WWE with a crazy man in your ear at all times. It also makes it a bigger deal when the PBP man is normally reserved but sometimes heavily reacts to something, rather then doing it multiple times a night.

I still really like Cole's excited, frantic "tap Batista! Tap Batista!" call from WM30. The dipshit who had a heel gimmick of hating on Daniel Bryan for a while is going nuts for him. Not even saying "Batista is going to tap!" but instead yelling at Batista and hoping he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ladies love cool DG

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tato posted:

I still really like Cole's excited, frantic "tap Batista! Tap Batista!" call from WM30. The dipshit who had a heel gimmick of hating on Daniel Bryan for a while is going nuts for him. Not even saying "Batista is going to tap!" but instead yelling at Batista and hoping he does.
certainly better than King squawking “Yes Yes Yes” so that you couldn’t hear the crowd go nuts

The audio equivalent of Jag Thindh

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lenny leonard is the best play by play guy going today

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'd prefer no commentary

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Not sure why anyone would consider Corey Graves a heel commentator when he's obviously doing Jesse Ventura's "tweener who just calls it like he sees it" gimmick. Which he's really good at.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Besides, my original question was because the people that complain about Mauro also poo poo on JR on New Japan, poo poo on Kelly on New Japan, poo poo on whoever does ROH and TNA, and poo poo on Cole and Tom, so... like... who's left? Who is actually good?

Legit going to give it to Kelly because he knows when to talk and when to be quiet. He doesn't talk over the wrestlers when they start talking, when there's a lull he'll engage in conversation about the match with Callis, he stays silent in moments of tension, he always tries to line something up for Callis to work off of, and his only real problem is he sounds like an emotionless robot whenever he tries to broadcast emotion.

I'm not really big on hating Mauro though. If he took it from an 11 down to a 7 he'd be fine. Also using less very-time-and-place asides (tide pods are gonna be forgotten about in six months) would be nice, just for the sake of being able to go back and watch the match in a few years and understand what he's talking about.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Tide pods was bad, but the Crisco Cops reference was the most obnoxious call of the night. That poo poo shouldn’t happen during a hellacious main event battle. I don’t hate Mauro like a lot of people, but he was at his worst on Saturday.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah Nigel probably keeps him on track because he’s all about the wrestling for the most part, might explain why people thought Mauro was worse than usual

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Excalibur and Chuck are the best announce team and no one else is even close

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tony Schiavone would be like fifty times better than Mauro.

Schiavone loving rules

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TTBF posted:

Legit going to give it to Kelly because he knows when to talk and when to be quiet.

The coward gave his chair away to allow a heel beatdown :mad:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The coward gave his chair away to allow a heel beatdown :mad:

He knew Kota wouldn't let it happen, he was just giving them the little push they needed to reconcile.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan are the only good English language commentators in history

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Venomous posted:

Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan are the only good English language commentators in history

Would you stop?!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Venomous posted:

The brief magical period of JR/Paul E was off the charts great

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gorilla and Bobby were great for WWF style but they would of been horrible for NWA or any other style.

Jim Ross WWE run was good but his peak was doing NWA especially for the Flair/Steamboat matches

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

St Evan Echoes posted:

The truest post

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

Haven't seen any NXT in a long time but I found Mauro more offensive than Percy.

Same. I guess also partly because Dave and Bryan have set me up to think that Percy's the worst ever. He didn't bother me any though.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i think mauro is pretty good outside of his hip references. he really needs to stop with that.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Can I get an example of what you guys consider a good english-speaking PBP announcer that is currently working? Because the impression I get is that you'd prefer there be no commentary, or to listen to Funaki and the other dude yell in Japanese over Gargano/Almas.

Cecil Scott

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I'm one of the few who enjoy Mark's appearance on B&V every year at the Rumble, and he's back this year so yay v:shobon:v

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

:hfive:

Even though it marked the end of that glorious era, the night Lawler returned was also magical just to see Heyman's entire world come crumbling down.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

Can I get an example of what you guys consider a good english-speaking PBP announcer that is currently working? Because the impression I get is that you'd prefer there be no commentary, or to listen to Funaki and the other dude yell in Japanese over Gargano/Almas.

Lenny motherfucking Leonard. That dude is the absolute gold standard for what commentary should be. He's a relatively sober voice in an area where most people do stupid poo poo or say jokes because that's what wrestlign is to them. While I love antics like MJF and Hathaway in the booth, its a real delicate line between being cute in the dead spots to actively making GBS threads all over a match. Lenny calls the poo poo straight, runs down their cagematch stats and basically just narrates the action.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was it Lenny who used to be on commentary when Nigel McGuinness would pop in to rant about Claudio or Clamdigger Danielson, and end up getting mad at him? Or was that Prazak?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Was it Lenny who used to be on commentary when Nigel McGuinness would pop in to rant about Claudio or Clamdigger Danielson, and end up getting mad at him? Or was that Prazak?

I think it was Lenny or both of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

B&V Show is up now.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i like the not-mark guy on the show he's chill

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Was there no B&V recapping Takeover, or do they do both shows in this one episode?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

nah no b&v takeover recap

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

mark: why does stephanie talk like she either smokes 7 packs of pall malls a day or she's like eating lightbulbs back in catering

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo this B&V Show is amazing and hilarious.

Cardboard Box posted:

mark: why does stephanie talk like she either smokes 7 packs of pall malls a day or she's like eating lightbulbs back in catering

Their Steph impersonations were so great, and I agree the guest host doesn't talk much but when he does it is a good contribution.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I know he splits opinion but I think Mark is great for 1 day a year. I’d get real annoyed with him if he was on regularly or even semi-regularly though

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah i think he's funny for one podcast and nothing more

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT THIS?

Pod in unison in response: YOU ASKED ABOUT IT

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Extremely :agreed: with Vinny on Brie's music, it's great :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"You hear that?"
"I'm not wearing headphones."
"GODDAMMIT!"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

this B&V has been a nice cap on a loving great prograps weekend

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I only got about halfway through the show before I had to go into work but I popped, as I do every year, for Mark making fun of Roman's music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I think the reason Mauro bothered people on Takeover was that since Nigel wasn't there he talked way more than usual, not really all that different just much more of him. :shrug: