Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I feel pretty good about Quid, partly because it doesn't seem anyone has a town read on him, yet there's little interest in dropping votes on him.

Feels like scum holding back in the hopes that anything else pops up for them to latch onto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

b-minus1 posted:

ive never played a game with rex before, and admit that his earlier posts weren't pinging me in the way that they were to some people, but do you really think it would be that hard of a gambit to pull off? playing the dumb townie aka "hey guys i dont know how to play mafia maybe theres just one killer and thats it lets try to find them" seems like a really easy way to ensure survival imo

The thing is that Rex is genuinely new in some respects, and I honestly feel like if a newbie scum was trying to play up hard the newbie aspect that hard, they either would not think of a gambit that so clearly has a lack of understanding of the rules when there would be people less new who could guide them.

That, and I feel like it'd be very easy for newbie scum to make a contradiction trying to play to that.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

tl;dr Rex's confusion seems to come from a very earnest place of having Death Note Mafia having been their first game, and thus not used to the idea of scumteams in general. I feel like someone who was just 'playing' at new would gently caress up that level of ignorance about how standard Mafia setup is way too easily.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Monathin posted:

tl;dr Rex's confusion seems to come from a very earnest place of having Death Note Mafia having been their first game, and thus not used to the idea of scumteams in general. I feel like someone who was just 'playing' at new would gently caress up that level of ignorance about how standard Mafia setup is way too easily.

fair enough. that death note mafia game was a really weird game and i still don't quite understand what actually happened.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I feel pretty good about Quid, partly because it doesn't seem anyone has a town read on him, yet there's little interest in dropping votes on him.

Feels like scum holding back in the hopes that anything else pops up for them to latch onto.

isnt that conclusion you're drawing totally backwards? If everyone seems a little suss on someone, but it still can't seem to quite get off the ground...

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

isnt that conclusion you're drawing totally backwards? If everyone seems a little suss on someone, but it still can't seem to quite get off the ground...

Good about Quid being scum*

Thought it would be obvious from context and me voting him.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I read over Quid and he sounds the same way I do when I'm town and frustrated at people taking random things I said early d1 seriously. Can you clarify what you think he's doing this game that he wouldn't do as town?

I'm treading carefully, having been burned recently by Scum Quid :eng99:

What do people think about Juchero? Am I alone in thinking his suspicion of 50 while not thinking 50 is scum is suspicious?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Monathin posted:

Like Bif said though - who do you got thinking as suspect? We weren't on the same side in Shine but I was pretty impressed with your posting there, gimme something.

Prince of Space's Day 1 reaction summaries
  • 50 pounds of bread - RPing a Berserker. Might try and kill some scum later, might miss and hurt somebody. Wildcard.
  • b-minus1 - lowest postcount for Day1, but seems willing to engage if called out. Will watch for contributions later.
  • Bifauxnen - highest postcount for Day1, seems to be pointing a lot of fingers but showing good scum-hunting efforts. Knows the lore/flavor. Leaning town.
  • Chic Trombone - reacted poorly/aggressively to being called a lurker, tried to disengage from joke phase. Leaning null-to-scummy right now.
  • GulagDolls - bloodlust early on for Quidthulhu made me skeptical, but bloodlust in general shows a willingness to hunt down scum. Leaning town.
  • Juchero - Voted for Quidthulhu early on with nothing but a bad GulagDoll haiku as reasoning. Suspicious - was he trying to start an early bandwagon? Leaning scummy currently.
  • KhediveRex - talks of loneliness and chess in a disconcerting way - at first mistaken to be flavor. Sudden avatar change (anti-Bifauxnen) and general demeanor (voting self) raises flags.
  • Monathin - seems hesitant to share and commit to decisions overmuch. Caused an interruption in the "potential turbo" of Quidthulhu early on Day 1. Null read/watching for contributions.
  • Murmur Twin - seems willing to share thoughts and throw out accusations on gut reads. Pot-stirrer, but maybe also throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what will stick. I want to lean town but it's too early on.
  • Prince of Space - Null, selfread, new to non-Soldiers mafia.
  • Quidthulhu - Seems like a popular guy that people want out of the game for meta reasons. Argumentative in sometimes roundabout or unhelpful ways. Willing to give him a pass for Day 1 because they were lynched early on as scum in their last mafia game, Shine V.
  • SalTheBard - Came out of the woodwork to talk to me about DBZ Mafia and how the roles in that game didn't indicate alignment. Nice guy, from what I gathered from Shine V. Would still vote for the lack of content in his posts.
  • Tired Moritz - Our "Best Girl" needs to step up her game.
  • Tobbs Gnawed - Threw out a lot of vote pressure Day 1 and started out with a Miller claim. Seems like trouble and a rabble-rouser, but in Mafia that can be a useful tool for finding scum. Null/paying attention.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Good about Quid being scum*

Thought it would be obvious from context and me voting him.

ahh I was gonna say, haha

I forgot you were still voting Quid cause then the dumb flavor thing happened

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

I read over Quid and he sounds the same way I do when I'm town and frustrated at people taking random things I said early d1 seriously. Can you clarify what you think he's doing this game that he wouldn't do as town?

What do people think about Juchero? Am I alone in thinking his suspicion of 50 while not thinking 50 is scum is suspicious?

I get the same vibe from bread. He's super open and blunt which makes me lean town on him, but he's also utterly unable to case anyone which makes it possible that the whole thing is a ruse.

Also, I'm not a Miller PoS, I'm a flavor Miller. And with Bif's super helpful explanations am maybe not as flavor millery ad I originally thought.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I already confirmed rex as town. now, double confirmed.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

why do you townread 50 pounds

still waiting on b- to answer this

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Murmur Twin posted:

I don't like this post at all. You really seem to be pushing a case for someone trying to use his knowledge of flavor to make sense of 50's strange posts.

Juchero posted:

maybe not scum, because berserker/ilya aren't really the big bads(if going by bifaux theory)
but they're potentially dangerous to town, maybe 3p(?)
also avenger isn't really "active" outside of one specific story so i don't even know if they are in fact in the game as a role
I'm not saying that I think there's no way juchero is totally cleared, but his contributions have been helpful to me at the very least. he didn't even vote for 50, only correctly recognized the threat of a 3p to everyone. it really seems like you are trying to push a case that isn't there.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

I read over Quid and he sounds the same way I do when I'm town and frustrated at people taking random things I said early d1 seriously.

yes but that is also how Quid sounds when he is scum :cheeky:

As for your question on Juch, that's an interesting new angle you brought up, but I didn't read it as serious 3P hunting at the time. We were in the middle of a big flavor discussion and it seemed natural to me, at least. It was just his earlier vote on Quid that actively pinged me before, and his lack of reads can also be considered. But the talk about how he gets mislunched all the time is making me reconsider too.

And of course, with Quid being my biggest suspect at the moment, it's hard for me to not see Juch as a townie that Quid was jumping on the minute he did something that was easy to call bad. In this scenario, scum Quid would've felt like he had to back off once it looked like the overall opinion on Juch was swinging towards "oh no lets wait and see instead of mislunching poor Juch again".

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Also, I'm not a Miller PoS, I'm a flavor Miller. And with Bif's super helpful explanations am maybe not as flavor millery ad I originally thought.

If Tobbs is telling the truth (which right now I buy), that leads more credence to the idea that flavor spec is meaningless / potentially being used by scum to pass as content in lieu of hunting for scum.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Murmur Twin posted:

I'll go over their posting again but I couldn't really make heads or tails of anything beyond their original weird extended bit past jokephase. Doesn't mean I wouldn't vote them with deadline looming, but I didn't see anything explicitly damning.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Ah, I see that there's a difference between types of Miller. I will note that down in my copy-book!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bifauxnen posted:

And of course, with Quid being my biggest suspect at the moment, it's hard for me to not see Juch as a townie that Quid was jumping on the minute he did something that was easy to call bad. In this scenario, scum Quid would've felt like he had to back off once it looked like the overall opinion on Juch was swinging towards "oh no lets wait and see instead of mislunching poor Juch again".

Wasn't Quid the one who brought up that Juch was often mislynched? That doesn't strike me as something Scum Quid would care about/bring up unless he was reading the mood more intently than I was at the time.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

b-minus1 posted:

I don't like this post at all. You really seem to be pushing a case for someone trying to use his knowledge of flavor to make sense of 50's strange posts.

I'm not saying that I think there's no way juchero is totally cleared, but his contributions have been helpful to me at the very least. he didn't even vote for 50, only correctly recognized the threat of a 3p to everyone. it really seems like you are trying to push a case that isn't there.

My case on Juchero is "he isn't hunting for scum".

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I am town and don't have a masonry, so that's weird that Bif immediately jumped to having one and discussing it as if it was a thing everyone should know about.

I also don't know why that, of all things, made Tobbs back off of her, because it strikes me as MORE odd not less odd all around.

I just got done running my Star Wars RPG and there's a lot of flavor poo poo here making my eyes glaze over. I would love to see people actually respond to my points on Bif instead of simply going "flavor flavor flavor flavor bif is so town" as we all seem to be doing? I still think she's posting a ton of distracting bullshit so I don't know how people are rocketing her to the top of their "most definitely is town" lists beyond the fact that she's posting a lot of volume that seems to kind of be about the game (it's mostly just flavor, though, which makes it really ironic she's also calling for us NOT to use flavor arguments).

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Like everything Bif is doing seems like textbook newbie scum to me:

-Double down on a weird "feeling" case by continuing to expand upon it in real time - that's what she's done with me
-Connect me to another person she is "suspicious" of through pointing out - what? suboptimal mafia play? If I were scum with Juchero, why would I spend any time talking about him on D1 at all?
-Posting high volume that basically ignores everyone's points every time to present her own narrative of what should actually be discussed

Reread Bif with all of these points in mind and tell me you don't see a pattern of scummy behavior emerge.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

And I understand Bif is not a newbie but I think it's been long enough since she HAS been scum that she's slipping here, personally, and just going for low hanging fruit as rapid fire as she can.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Prince of Space posted:

KhediveRex - talks of loneliness and chess in a disconcerting way - at first mistaken to be flavor. Sudden avatar change (anti-Bifauxnen) and general demeanor (voting self) raises flags.

just want to quickly clear up something here, Rex's avatar should not be taken as "anti-Bifauxnen" in any way. Anytime someone mysteriously gets an avatarrelated to Transformers or Metal Gear, you should assume it's Gaspy's doing. The joke here seems to be referencing "a weapon to surpass Metal Gear", while giving him an av of Metal Gear REX.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

See this is exactly what I'm talking about :

Prince of Space posted:

[*]Bifauxnen - highest postcount for Day1, seems to be pointing a lot of fingers but showing good scum-hunting efforts. Knows the lore/flavor. Leaning town.

What, specifically, would you say are bif's "Good scum-hunting efforts?" What has she done that shows she is doing a deeper reading of the people playing this game and is actively analyzing their words in relationship to their intent? That's scumhunting. In the next breath, you say "knows the lore/flavor." You do realize her having the "highest post count" is because she's posting about the lore a ton? Please explain why you have a town read on her, in detail, and in regards to her scumhunting.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Monathin posted:

Wasn't Quid the one who brought up that Juch was often mislynched? That doesn't strike me as something Scum Quid would care about/bring up unless he was reading the mood more intently than I was at the time.

I didnt think he was? That I will have to go check.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
PoS's rationale is not great for a lot of his reads, but I think that's not indicative of alignment for new players.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bifauxnen posted:

Man, that sure is a 180, did the haiku change your mind that much?

Actually yeah Bif I knew you didn't forget that Juchero and Quid had that whole bit earlier, and I honestly felt like the mood in the room on Juch didn't reverse until Quid brought up the fact that they're misdunked often, so. What gives.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Tobbs, you backed off on Bif and then immediately went back to me, presumably based on this case you made earlier, since it's your read:

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

To me, this reads as someone who is overly critical of their own vote. I think Quid realized that his self-vote has nothing to do with his alignment, so his explanation for voting Juchero is pretty bad. A better reason would be that dropping a joke vote on a self-voting player and putting him at -4 is a pretty scummy thing to do.

Quid wasn't thinking about whether Juchero was town or scum, rather he saw that Juchero's vote was bad so he dropped the right vote for bad reasons. The backtracking looks bad, but it's hard for me to tell whether he's being genuine or not. I feel like town Quid would modify his case and push it, rather than back off so quickly. Juchero's vote was pretty bad, even if Quid's reasoning was off.

So yeah, we've got an evasive, defensive, conciliatory scum Quid. Some good (or even bad) casing with follow-through might change my mind, but for now ##vote Quid

First point: I think it's super susp to vote for someone who is joke voting themselves during joke-phase. There are LEGITIMATE reasons for doing it later, but not during joke-phase. Ultimately it's probably not alignment indicative and even as I type this I think it's maybe a dumb opinion to have, but when I see people doing it during joke phase I think it's them trying to get involved and put a vote on someone conveniently for spurrious reasons. Me saying "I'm at -4 how dare you" is also really dumb and doesn't speak to my suspicions about the REASONS for voting like that during joke phase.

Second point: I don't even really understand this paragraph. Why would I be unvoting Juchero, period, as scum in this situation? Are you buying Bif's narrative of us being scum buddies? I don't think you've mentioned that point at all, so I'm not understanding why you think me changing my mind about Juchero is inherently bad, as you seem to be presenting here. I was pretty clear that I just changed my mind based on my own case + what Bif was doing + me remembering Juchero is awkward on D1. What's the problem, here?

Furthermore, you haven't responded to my statement about Bif goading me into over explaining myself, which seems to be a big part of your case. I was directly asked questions by her that made me explain myself, and that's not the hinge of her case: "he's over explaining himself." Do you not see that as a contradiction? Why are you buying that from her, when you questioned her on other stuff? Your blindly following Bif who is also hardcore going after you for "being dumb rn" is kinda weird.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Just gonna stick this here until I get a response ##vote Bifauxnen

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Scum could also be holding off on a town-misdunk on me until later in the day so they don't look like they're pushing an incorrect dunk :eng101:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hm, you have a good memory Monathin, you're right:

Quidthulhu posted:

Ah, yeah, you're right. I recognized the avatar but couldn't remember who it belonged to. I did remember, however, that this avatar bearing dude is frequently D1 misdunked so now I'm wondering about this poo poo :v:

Juchero followed it up with this though, and then a lot of "who will be my idiot saviour" kind of posting:

Juchero posted:

i do get dunked a lot on d1 but no worries

should i just fullclaim before you lynch me or are you guys good

I know that was the bit that got me to pause and think, far more than Quid.

I dont consider this any way to clear Quid though. In light of his reaching extra hard on me now, it sounds more like standard opinion hedging that just got out of control when Juch went all defeatist in the very next post.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I wont subject you all to over analysing the minutia of what Quid did or didnt clarify again, I will just rest my case here:

Quidthulhu posted:

What, specifically, would you say are bif's "Good scum-hunting efforts?" What has she done that shows she is doing a deeper reading of the people playing this game and is actively analyzing their words in relationship to their intent?

getttttttttt dunked on

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Quidthulhu posted:

What, specifically, would you say are bif's "Good scum-hunting efforts?" Please explain why you have a town read on her, in detail, and in regards to her scumhunting.

I don't have a 100% town read on her - I can't. I'm leaning town on Bifauxnen because I read her accusatory tone and I see what she's doing - poking at people for their weirder decisions and trying to catch them in a slipup.

The fact that she's poking at you doesn't necessarily mean you're the bad guy, it just means you did something that didn't jive well with her logical setup.

Bifauxnen feels your behavior surrounding Juchero is suspicious, and I would agree.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hmm. Okay.

##unvote

I'm getting a little too free with my votes here. I'm gonna try and make some last minute reads as deadline approaches.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bif continues to dismiss me as not being worth reading at all. I am a fargone conclusion of "automatic scum" because she wants everyone to apathy on to me. This is the SECOND time she has done this this game. She has actually not presented any sort of continued engagement on her "case" on me since I returned to thread to call her out for demanding I explain exactly what I meant and then turning around and making her entire case on me being "he's overexplaining things for no reason." She has not responded to my questions on this; the two times I have dared to say she's not working in town's interest all she has said is "lolol look at this scum failing."

I think if you look back on Bif's post history with me, you will find her doing a lot of this not actually interacting or responding to me. She is also doing it with a lot of other people as well!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

I don't have a 100% town read on her - I can't. I'm leaning town on Bifauxnen because I read her accusatory tone and I see what she's doing - poking at people for their weirder decisions and trying to catch them in a slipup.

The fact that she's poking at you doesn't necessarily mean you're the bad guy, it just means you did something that didn't jive well with her logical setup.

Bifauxnen feels your behavior surrounding Juchero is suspicious, and I would agree.

She is saying I am doing the same thing and failing at it. Why is trying to poke holes in someone's cases a town action rather than a scum action? Why is not being able to do it a scum action? Do you see how these statements aren't jiving?

What is suspicious about my behavior surrounding Juchero, in your own words?

Show me a case of Bif's that you like and break it down for me. Why is it good scum hunting? What does it point out to you about my posting that you feel is speaking to an intent on my part to lie and confuse you? Show your work, man.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I can try to be succinct.

I think you were being overly cautious. You serious-voted Juchero and then backed off, saying you didn't like the case on him (your case, presumably). Almost like a...joke unvote? It looked odd to other players (Bif) as well, and her needling you on it was probably to see how you'd respond under pressure.

She didn't need to lead you into weird behavior, you did that yourself.

I have a town read on Bif/gulag, though if we flip you and you're town Quid then it will definitely flip my impression of them back to neutral.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

Bif continues to dismiss me as not being worth reading at all.

Quid, I've already given your posts LOTS of attention. To go over the same points again will not help the town. I do not mean to dismiss you to make you angry. I just don't want our excessive verbosity combo to drive everyone to madness. Please understand.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Biting back at the person casing you is also a scum reaction. As a townie, you have to know that some people are going to be suspicious of you from a town perspective. Bif has heat on her though, so she's a good target.

To me her play/casing reads town, and while it's hard to step back when a player is voting you, it's not hard to see that she's scumhunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Murmur Twin posted:

My case on Juchero is "he isn't hunting for scum".

I guess I don’t see how simply acknowledging the threat of a potential 3p without voting for them somehow translates to “not hunting for scum”

Got a 90 min drive home right now, after that I’ll be around until deadline. This weekend ended up being much busier than I anticipated.

• Locked thread