Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh hey I missed this bit earlier:

Quidthulhu posted:

Your blindly following Bif who is also hardcore going after you for "being dumb rn" is kinda weird.

I never called Tobbs scummy for any of that. I just complained about how he was misunderstanding my post and not getting that I was only talking about flavor, and complained about how it led to me outing the fact that I'm in a masonry, which is apparently a bit more unique than I first suspected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Quidthulhu posted:

Also I like how you put me, Tobbs, MMT, and Bif into a game and suddenly there is no jokephase :v:

:j:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Tobbs quoted literally every statement he made about Bif except the incriminating "it's going to be hard to convince me she's scum." Why would he have left that out when I specifically mentioned it multiple times, come on.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

oh hey I missed this bit earlier:

I never called Tobbs scummy for any of that. I just complained about how he was misunderstanding my post and not getting that I was only talking about flavor, and complained about how it led to me outing the fact that I'm in a masonry, which is apparently a bit more unique than I first suspected.

But that's my entire point, Bif, you're doing a really good job of making statements you can expand upon later. Like in the interaction between us around my unvoting Juchero where you said "well what you said wasn't clear as all so of COURSE I voted you :v:" That looks like a statement moving away from being suspicious of me, but you used it to FUEL your suspicion later. I think you're being purposefully non-committal with a lot of what you're doing here.

Direct question: Why aren't you responding to my case on you except to outright dismiss it without comment?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

See, your constant repetition of, "TOBBS IS 100% CERTAIN BIF IS TOWN.", while egregiously false, is being repeated by other players.

Get dunked on lying scum :)

Acknowledges that I asked him a question cause I thought he was suspicious. Deftly sidesteps the question to admonish Quid more.

... That's the sort of stuff I'm looking for? Right? I think I get it now...

Tobbs, do you have a case?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Gonna laugh my rear end off if Tobbs stuck his nose in this to buddy up with Bif and it ends up with everyone dunking his scum rear end lol

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

Tobbs quoted literally every statement he made about Bif except the incriminating "it's going to be hard to convince me she's scum." Why would he have left that out when I specifically mentioned it multiple times, come on.

well it is his most recent opinion. And "its going to be hard to convince me" doesnt mean "I'm certain", it just means... "its going to be hard to convince me".

Quidthulhu posted:

Direct question: Why aren't you responding to my case on you except to outright dismiss it without comment?

Because I dont believe you are arguing in good faith, and I'm never going to convince you that you're scum. I'd rather let the points I've already made about you stand for themselves, and let others see just how far you're reaching now to desperately lunch me first. There is not much else for me to comment on, except for the occasional fun new thing to point out. Like how you were mad at me for NOT engaging enough, but then also accusing me of engaging you TOO much as some kind of entrapment to make you say bad flustered things.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I'm not even voting you any more, Bif. :v:

But I do buy that explanation from you. I am not sure why you are whiteknighting Tobbs now, but maybe his buddying to you has worked!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Has there ever been a game we've played together where you didn't think I was arguing in bad faith after you put me on the defensive D1, Bif? You do realize you go hard at me D1 EVERY GAME we're in together, right?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Quidthulhu posted:

Also I like how you put me, Tobbs, MMT, and Bif into a game and suddenly there is no jokephase :v:

Would you four jokesters please put down the swords and look into someone other than yourselves for today?

I am also in agreement with those saying that this feels like a town/town slapfight.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

I'm not even voting you any more, Bif. :v:

But I do buy that explanation from you. I am not sure why you are whiteknighting Tobbs now, but maybe his buddying to you has worked!

because it seemed dishonest when you were pushing Tobbs like he shouldve been more on my case, just because I was allegedly "hardcore going after him" then.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

Would you four jokesters please put down the swords and look into someone other than yourselves for today?

I am also in agreement with those saying that this feels like a town/town slapfight.

Town/town with whom? Me & Bif? All four of us?

Tobbs is included in your "jokesters" but I think my case on him is strong. What do you think of it?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

because it seemed dishonest when you were pushing Tobbs like he shouldve been more on my case, just because I was allegedly "hardcore going after him" then.

He thought you did something suspicious enough to warrant a vote on you. At the time, you were turning around and calling him dumb for his "catch." Why would I not think it was weird he didn't CONTINUE to go after you at that point, especially considering he has been poking at me in a way he chose not to do with you, when I called him out for what I thought was a weak "catch" about me on his part?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

Has there ever been a game we've played together where you didn't think I was arguing in bad faith after you put me on the defensive D1, Bif? You do realize you go hard at me D1 EVERY GAME we're in together, right?

I'm pretty sure I was town all of those times while you were scum about half the time :cheeky:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

If that's not clear, what I mean is: he catches you in something, votes you, you start barking about why he's wrong and here's why he's wrong, he backs off and re-votes me, then calling you town multiple times.

He catches me in something, votes me, I start barking about why he's wrong and he continues to insist I am scum without showing his work at all.

This doesn't strike you as odd?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm pretty sure I was town all of those times while you were scum about half the time :cheeky:

That speaks pretty highly of your inability to read me.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

He thought you did something suspicious enough to warrant a vote on you. At the time, you were turning around and calling him dumb for his "catch." Why would I not think it was weird he didn't CONTINUE to go after you at that point, especially considering he has been poking at me in a way he chose not to do with you, when I called him out for what I thought was a weak "catch" about me on his part?

I kinda lost the plot of this paragraph but Tobbs clearly seemed to have worked his way to an understanding of my post soon enough. Even though it shouldnt have required my mason claim to get him there, it did get him there where he could finally read the post as coming from a town place.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

That speaks pretty highly of your inability to read me.

wow, what do you think a "good" Mafia batting average on making cases would be then, and how close do you think most people are :lol:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I guess I just don't see why YOU are so convinced he is town. You're clearly not mason's with each other, so what about his posting do you think is town on his part?

Why am I having to ask people to case other people instead of posting "I feel this person is scum" over and over again :rolleyes: This is D1 but you can back your work up, people, my god.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Quidthulhu posted:

What do you think of it?

I think that the four most "serious" posters in this game (Quidthulhu, Tobbs Gnawed, Murmur Twin, Bifauxnen) should be left alone for today. They've been posting enough semi-productive stuff that they can be caught by it later.

Personally I think scum is sitting back day 1, lurking and waiting to see where the town's pendulum is swinging before deadline hits.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

I guess I just don't see why YOU are so convinced he is town. You're clearly not mason's with each other, so what about his posting do you think is town on his part?

He sounds more convinced about me by now than I'm convinced about him. But I do see his reacting to new evidence and changing his mind after trying to nail me with a scumslip as a good sign that Tobbs is most likely scumhunting in good faith. Things can always change, but for now Tobbs is nowhere close to the top of my Lumpenlist.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Prince of Space posted:

Uh I feel like I've been doing this? The main reason I'm trying to point out Bif / Quid as a slapfight is because I think it's far more likely that scum is hanging out under the radar and hiding behind high-volume posters casing each other.

I'm going to bed soon and still think Juchero is the best vote for today.

* (some combination of TM, b-, Chic, 50, Monathin off the top of my head)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Gulag being happy to chime in with "DEATH HIM DEATH HIM NOW" while vanishing for large periods of time is skeeving me out

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

b-minus1 posted:

I strongly agree with both of these posts. Part of the reason I haven't posted a lot (along with being in two mafia games, but that's on me) is that I've been trying to learn as much as I can about flavor because it seems like it absolutely is going to play a part in figuring out roles/alignments.

For these reasons, I just wanna get my quick reads out there before I go back and carefully read the thread again.

lean town:
juchero
bif
gulag
50 pounds

lean scum:
tm
quid

neutral on everyone else for the moment

Can you explain these reads to me, B-? You mention basically no one up until this point except "lol at anyone who thought Quid was in danger of being dunked" and suddenly you have a list with several town reads and a scum read on me (popular discussion point at the time) and TM (was he being talked about at all?)

What's the deal here? Why these folks with these reads?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

hmmm nah I really got a good feel like Quid was just scum trying to desperately lunch me first, and this "lets back off and lunch someone more quiet" deal is Plan B when that didn't work so good.

right now Im feeling a Quid+MT scumteam, plus Sal who MT left out of her lurker list. He's usually scummy sounding and misunderstood, but he hasnt even been posting enough to get misunderstood this time! 4th one prolly isn't Monathin if MT's in there, but he could take a spot if I'm wrong about MT. Guess Juch could also be an option in that case, but again, hard to see that any more with Quid around rn. Otherwise it could maaaybe be Prince, but I want to make sure he gets time to develop his reads for a while so we can see what he sounds like when he's not roleplaying a Texan cattle rancher.

This is the post to quote and look back to if I end up NKed, btw

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Monathin posted:

Sorry Twin, got busier this weekend than I expected to be, let me indulge you real quick.

I am patently not a fan of making D1 cases - I feel a lot of people tend to pounce on what looks like the scummiest behavior, which I feel overwhelming ends up in a town dunk by accident. I understand by strict numbers it's better to dunk than not on Day 1 and will usually try and see which of the cases I feel are -actually- legitimate, but I'm pretty reserved. That probably registers as scum to some folk, but day 1 tends to be pretty wacky and tumultuous, with or without jokephase.

That said, I have a bit more free time today, and deadline's this evening, so I'm gonna try and get some casework out there and see if anyone's seeing what I'm seeing.

I like this from Mona but don't like that I don't think I've heard from him since then. There's definitely a lot being discussed especially before I came in and took over the thread with my yelling and he was real good in Shine at making observations as he read quietly so I'm a bit susp on him being MIA.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

hmmm nah I really got a good feel like Quid was just scum trying to desperately lunch me first, and this "lets back off and lunch someone more quiet" deal is Plan B when that didn't work so good.

right now Im feeling a Quid+MT scumteam, plus Sal who MT left out of her lurker list. He's usually scummy sounding and misunderstood, but he hasnt even been posting enough to get misunderstood this time! 4th one prolly isn't Monathin if MT's in there, but he could take a spot if I'm wrong about MT. Guess Juch could also be an option in that case, but again, hard to see that any more with Quid around rn. Otherwise it could maaaybe be Prince, but I want to make sure he gets time to develop his reads for a while so we can see what he sounds like when he's not roleplaying a Texan cattle rancher.

This is the post to quote and look back to if I end up NKed, btw

Someone more quiet being Tobbs? Are you serious with this right now?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

Someone more quiet being Tobbs? Are you serious with this right now?

No. Because I am not referring to Tobbs. I am referring to all the posts talking about how we should look outside the 4 of you, me, MT, and Tobbs. Sheesh.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

ugggggh now see what you did Tobbs, I figured it woulda made sense for everyone or almost everyone to be paired up like this, and now I outed me and my bud for no reason at all.

The pairs exist in the story regardless of Mafia roles. I was discussing the story only to try and bring rjings back to mafia and point out how considering anyone flavor cleared is silly. Even if you're in a masonry... but this was true regardless even if no one was masoned. Thanks for getting all up my case over your own lack of reading, jerkface!

You don't think Tobbs was fishing for this info from you with all of this? Rereading his interactions with you I just can't understand why he backed off so fast. "I guess they have a masonry oh well" seems like a pretty big shoulder shrug away from a salient point to me.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

b-minus1 posted:

Something came up and I will be busy for the next two hours or so. Just want to pop in and say that bif is my strongest town read based on those recent posts.

I would like to know what Bif posted in between your "driving home in 90 minutes" post and "something came up" post that made you have a strong town read on her at the time you posted this.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

KhediveRex posted:

This is the first helpful thing I've seen posted in almost 3 days. Please tell me more about Avenger Bif.

I don't buy the angle that it's a battle royale. I also don't buy the angle that Bif is just distracting us. All of what they posted is potentially useful information. If the anime traditionally splits people into pairings we can be pretty sure thats an element of the game and will exist for a reason. I think at this point Bread has basically confirmed he's in a masonry with "Ilya". Juchero's post makes me feel like he wanted to correct Bif's pairing list but didn't want to be noticed correcting it. If two people have responded to the pairing list like it's a thing, then pairs aren't an isolated incident.

I think there's enough evidence to assert that Masonries are two-person pairings, probably in general. And if I had to guess why, my first impression by way of game mechanics would be that Avenger can convert a servant to scum after he has killed the servant's master. That makes more sense to me than the notion that everyone is fighting everyone else.

Does Avenger have a master? Does Avenger have well established powers or political allies? Are we taking the grail from Avenger or is he another person racing to get it first? I would love to know more and the wiki for this game is dense.

This post is so town I can't even. There's no way a scum member would ask all this in thread instead of discussing it with their scum buddies privately. This is 100% newbie town posting.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Quidthulhu posted:

I like this from Mona but don't like that I don't think I've heard from him since then. There's definitely a lot being discussed especially before I came in and took over the thread with my yelling and he was real good in Shine at making observations as he read quietly so I'm a bit susp on him being MIA.

I've been here today and even pressed on Bif when she forgot the post you've made when you started to come in. I was also pretty suspect and pushing on Rex before Rex had that weird comment about a singular killer that makes them specifically less suspect as a scum to me. I've been engaging back and forth with the thread. I need to finish a read on Juch still because I got admittedly distracted.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

You don't think Tobbs was fishing for this info from you with all of this? Rereading his interactions with you I just can't understand why he backed off so fast. "I guess they have a masonry oh well" seems like a pretty big shoulder shrug away from a salient point to me.

Not really? I still suspect we might have a couple more masonries around that are just playing coy. And like he said, it's unconfirmed so what's the big deal. It just annoyed me that I came out with it for no good reason when Tobbs shoulda got it earlier.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Monathin posted:

Not to get into further setup spec, but I feel the same way, it makes sense to me, and paints fiddy's posts in the thread in a different light, one I'm more comfortable with.

But I'm asking Rex why he thought that Bread had confirmed anything vis a vis a masonry.

This also feels like more genuine sussing of stuff in comparison to the way Tobbs has been approaching trying to suss out people's statements. Saw something weird, wanted to get more info before he passes judgement. That's a town mindset. "Saw something weird, you are definitely scum, let me continue to tell you how you are scum," not so much.

Then again that's basically what I do every game regardless of alignment so maybe I'm just only now realizing why I am bad at mafia :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bif, in the several hours and pages of posts since you posted this....is your opinion on me REALLY still the same? Can you show evidence, with quotes, as examples of my doing what you say I am doing here?

Bifauxnen posted:

ok how much time is left? About 7 hours?

I'm still happy voting Quid. He doesn't seem to be poking at everybody and reacting to everything the way he would as town. Just that weird aborted vote on Juch he backed off on, after people all started feeling bad for Juch getting misdunked so much. Then pushing on me over that convoluted mess- oh, and he also threw in that weird objection when I was annoyed at Chic. It feels more like he's just looking for things to criticise about me instead of hashing things out naturally.

I would also vote Rex, not feeling the earlier Monathin case as much now that he's around and posting. Would also vote 50, but I would be kind of sad to lose his gimmick. :3:

And why did you like Rex for scum, at this point? His posts on the page you say this feel very town to me, with the exception of not being sure where he got Ilya from & how he's subsequently confused on flavor, but you don't mention any of that, so I don't know why you don't like Rex. You don't say.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Monathin posted:

The thing of it is that, generally, Day 1 is the easiest time for scum to try and fly under the radar for the very same reasons you posted. Nling, while -possible- option, effectively gives the scum a free kill, which is something people will generally avoid doing D1.

You can say "I can't make bricks without clay" all you want, but it's not about meta arguments - or at least, I don't consider meta arguments any more valuable than regular arguments. I'm in a similar boat in that I've played maybe two games with some of these people, max. This is Space's second game, as I recall. You're not the only newbie here.

But you have to try and poke at inconsistencies and weird things to get people to try and explain it, because there's a genuine difference between an honest mistake when pressured and a scumslip That's where the game lies.

For instance, you're doing something that people would call 'hedging' - which is that you're saying "well, Quid seems slightly off but that could just be pressure, so I don't know", it doesn't actually put any suspicions down, and you didn't say why Quid was suspicious. Interactions with other people in the thread? Gut read? You can say if it's a gut read you're feeling, but you have to put something out there, which you demonstrably aren't.

That's why I'm feeling suspicious. Call the kettle black if you want.

Mona's town, this is a genuine read and like I said, his lead up to it through his questioning felt very genuine to me as well.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

I think Juchero's suspicion on 50 was faked. He was trying to imply that Berserker is anti-town while ignoring the fact that the last thing a scum berserker would do is just claim it and RP it. When pressed on it he admits that probably isn't scummy but that it sounds like "an anti-town 3P".

I don't buy this as a town thought process. Hunting specifically for 3P is scum 101. ##vote Juchero

This is not a bad case. The 3P jump is a bit weird in a game where we're talking about duos, especially since Bif floated the idea of pairs with their own win conditions - although again, my role PM just speaks about winning when threats are eliminated, so, jumping to 3ps and duo win conditions all around is strange.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

KhediveRex posted:

So walk me through this...

1 in 14 people in this game is the Killer. We have the option to attempt to eliminate him in Day 1.

If we fail and land on one of the other 13 people, then we go into Day 2 having lost two town members instead of one.

If we succeed and vote out the killer Day 1 ... the game ends? Right? Before anything could happen? ... Not much of a game ...

So, that's how I'm interpreting this. I don't see how not lynching one of our own day 1 gives the scum a "free kill". Or why lynching Day 1 would be the obvious strategy in this situation.

Again, there is no way scum Rex posts this in thread instead of in scumchat, especially after posting the prior post (where presumably a scumteam would have said 'bro, stop posting that in thread and ask us questions here.'). Rex is town.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Man now that I'm actually catching up rather than just attempting to slow the roll of my demise, I actually really don't like Juchero's response to MMT. His posts are all feeling very hedgey and non-committal but again I think that's kind of his D1 modus operandi and I just don't know that I want to take him out when I feel there's a solid 50/50 chance I'm just reading him bad. Ughhhhuhuhuhuh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen, can you make that LumpenList for me? I'll do the same.

• Locked thread