Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

The Snoo posted:

finky's wound has healed up extremely well (I can barely see the mark anymore) and we've been switching up what we mix her meds into, right now it's choco yoghurt. a couple of days ago it was eggnog. she's silly and I'm proud of her!

since she had her surgery and meds and stuff, though, suddenly she's become a big chewer of paper. any kind of paper we have around, she chews. they do have plenty of chew blocks/sticks and dry pasta, etc. for their teeth, and her teeth are fine, so idk.

but this led to her chewing my phone cord as it was charging a little while ago. she isn't acting differently but now I'm super worried about her and if she got shocked. they've never been interested in cords, when they get on the end tables they're supervised, and the other one isn't chewing anything abnormally. I had them out for floor time by myself bc it was her meds time, and my husband was still at work, so I was trying to keep an eye on both of them... I don't know if she's hurt but is there anything I should look out for? :( I put them up and she's eating and drinking just fine.

when I had guinea pigs they chewed quite a few cords. I got shocked from one of them years later, after they were gone. but I assume they must've gotten shocked if I did.

it would be so loving stupid if I lost her because of my drat phone, after all this. gently caress me

Yeah, 5vdc is nothing big, even for a rodent. If she's still up and around she's probably 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Meet Krampus the Christmas Rat, the newest member of our cute perpetually-urinating family.

That's an adorable lil' ratter :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
this site doesn't deserve my cute pet pics

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 24, 2019

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I was wondering if any of you guys impose intermittent fasting on your rats. I recently started myself, and I was recalling how there's a lot of research on rats and mice and how much longer they live when they fast on and off. If I still kept rats, I might have tried it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Big Bug Hug posted:

I was wondering if any of you guys impose intermittent fasting on your rats. I recently started myself, and I was recalling how there's a lot of research on rats and mice and how much longer they live when they fast on and off. If I still kept rats, I might have tried it.
a lot of people recommend one "starve day" a week because it encourages them to eat all the slightly-less-tasty food they've been hoarding. I do it and it definitely helped my fattest friend lose weight.

Content:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Aww, those are some good rat piles. :3:

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Dear Rat Thread,

A year ago I posted in here about my rats Coffee & Cream. Unfortunately, earlier last month Cream had a stroke and he condition continued to degrade (despite visiting the vet for medicine) until passing away two days ago. :rip: In order to make sure Coffee had company, I went to the pet store yesterday and picked up two very young dumbos,
Cookie

and Vanilla :3

The general feeling was that even at 11 months old Coffee is a sweet, friendly rat and because the others are younger that they should warm up to each other more easily but I also don't have any experience integrating new rats with old ones and there's been a lot of high energy wrestling and squeaks (Vanilla is adorably vocal- she'll even stand and squeak at Coffee just when being approached).

The thing I'm curious about though is that when I woke up this morning and all three of them had very dirty feet. the cage even had a little more of a fresh pooey smell even though I just cleaned it last night. I imagine the babies are still learning to use the litter (although they prefer hiding from Coffee behind it) but I wonder if because their hierarchy is all jumbled up that nobody is getting clean? I've been pulling Coffee off of them when it sounds like it's getting too intense but I'm thinking if maybe I should just let her do what she needs to in order to clean the babies? They're just fighting back pretty hard it sounds like and I don't want anyone getting hurt.

e: at the very least I was just hoping for some general tips about integrating new babies in with older ratties since I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't help you with most of your questions unfortunately but one thing that I can tell you is about rat fighting.

If you see them fight and you're not sure if they're actually fighting or just playing/deciding the hierarchy, you can watch what they're doing specifically.
Rats that fight for real, aim to bite the other rats' butt, while rats that are only play-fighting aim to pin down the other rat and nibble them on the nape.

As a rule of thumb, if there's no blood then you probably shouldn't be worried about their shenanigans.
Especially if they just got introduced to each other.

Also, about the poops.
It can be helpful if you pick up the "stray" poops and put them into the litterbox.
The main reason why rats are pretty easy to litter train is because they have an instinct to poop in the same place as the rest of the group (so that all the poops are hidden and a predator can't use it to track down their lair) so it might be good to make sure the new babies know where the pooping place is.

Also also, Vanilla and Cookie are adorable. :3

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I can't help you with most of your questions unfortunately but one thing that I can tell you is about rat fighting.

If you see them fight and you're not sure if they're actually fighting or just playing/deciding the hierarchy, you can watch what they're doing specifically.
Rats that fight for real, aim to bite the other rats' butt, while rats that are only play-fighting aim to pin down the other rat and nibble them on the nape.

As a rule of thumb, if there's no blood then you probably shouldn't be worried about their shenanigans.
Especially if they just got introduced to each other.

Also, about the poops.
It can be helpful if you pick up the "stray" poops and put them into the litterbox.
The main reason why rats are pretty easy to litter train is because they have an instinct to poop in the same place as the rest of the group (so that all the poops are hidden and a predator can't use it to track down their lair) so it might be good to make sure the new babies know where the pooping place is.

Also also, Vanilla and Cookie are adorable. :3

Yeah that's what I've always heard about fighting so I try not to worry about it since I'd never ever seen Coffee & Cream have violent fights with one another just intense rough-housing. To that end I suppose I just became concerned that Coffee just might hurt them accidentally since she's not used to dealing with rats that much smaller than her (Vanilla is a tiny runt so she's practically 1/3 Coffee's size).

And yes, I've been occasionally sticking stray poops in the toilet. I figured since Coffee already knows to go there they would follow her lead. :3: thanks for the advice!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Rat size doesn't really matter in the hierarchy. I've had big ol' 3 pounders be the bottom of the totem pole.
(God I miss having ratties sometimes. Kittens are wonderful but there's something nice about animals that have a cage.)

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

dovetaile posted:

Rat size doesn't really matter in the hierarchy. I've had big ol' 3 pounders be the bottom of the totem pole.
(God I miss having ratties sometimes. Kittens are wonderful but there's something nice about animals that have a cage.)

Well when I say smaller I mean younger. These dumbos may even be younger than Coffee & Cream were when we first got them but I’m not sure.
It’s so much fun meeting some new ratties though and dealing with a whole new set of personalities and habits. I even found myself on a website listening to recordings of rat peeps and squeaks trying to figure out some of the sounds they were making- the babies make this rapid “peep peep peep” sound when I’m handling sometimes that doesn’t seem to indicate distress but is unbelievably adorable :3:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hmm, I can't remember ever hearing my ratties making several squeaks in rapid succession.
I might have a shoddy memory though.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 9, 2018

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Hmm, I can remember ever hearing my ratties making several squeaks in rapid succession.
I might have a shoddy memory though.

Yeah! I’d never seen my older rats do it and then at first I thought it was just the tiny one but then I noticed Cookie doing it too. I think they might just be extra vocal though and maybe a little nervous at first. Vanilla is already comfortable enough with me that she falls asleep on my shoulder when I’m sitting idle.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I came home last night to a perfectly healthy, happy Chouffi who was snatching treats from me and getting tickled, and then she just up and had a seizure and loving died for no reason.

She was 6 months old, healthy and a rat of good breeding. She'd had a slightly crackly chest and we were going to get her to the doctor for a check and some baytril, but were 99% sure it was just a mild respiratory thing - I don't think it was connected with this.

She was fine right up until it happened and it just came out of loving nowhere. I feel like we've had one rat in every two die at a stupid age like this - Kriek had a PT at a year and a half, Dyna became diabetic and probably also had a PT at a slightly younger age, Toast got bacterial pneumonia and died at about 6 months, and now this. Typing it out I guess we've just had bad luck, I don't think I'm blaming the breeder and our other girls have lived fairly long and happy lives, but I don't know how much longer we can take this lovely cycle.

I just want to know what happened to her and if this is somehow my fault. Was it the chest infection? Was it worse than it sounded? Was it something to do with how she had her eyes half-closed a lot of the time? Was it the loving chicken bone? Was it bacterial, is Scootsworth just going to up and die after dinner on Tuesday now? How long had she been hiding something horrible from us? It's just such a horrible shock and at the same time feels so... inevitable, like this is just something every other rat does. And now we have one 6 month old girl and one who's a year and a half, so in six months or so if something happens to Cheedo, we need to get two new friends for Scootsworth, and I have to take them home and work out which of them seems like the Unhealthy One who's not going to be with us for long.

Being a rat owner really loving sucks sometimes.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 14, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That sputnik is hella packed.
It's adorable how rats love sleeping in big piles with zero regard for anyone's personal space. :3:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm so sorry for your loss. wishing the best of health and luck for your other rats.

time goes by so fast with them. they deserve long and healthy lives!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I just lost Yayo the other day after only 6 months. He was a shrimpy feeder rat who had always had respiratory problems and I guess the sudden cold snap was a bit too much for him to handle.

On a happier note, my sister got me a large Lixit Critter Space Pod for christmas and both I and the rats love it. Since it's sturdy plastic it doesn't have the problem I've had with cloth hammocks where they chew the straps off or tear apart the actual bed but you can still put some soft fleece or fabric scraps in there to keep them warm and comfy and make cleaning easier. All three of my boys are crammed in there in the second picture, that's how much they like it.

I also made them a DIY tall grass hideaway by cutting strips of fabric, tying them in a circle, and then pulling the loop through itself through the wires of their cage. They love chilling and napping in there as well as nibbling at the strips and making bedding out of it, since it was a test I did it with an old polo shirt but in the future if I make it from scratch I'll use fleece like you're supposed to.

Also also last time I was at the store they had a bunch of gingerbread house kits knocked down to 90% off so in the future for a fun project I want to make them a little gingerbread house to destroy :3:

I've found that the brackets on the space pod tend to break under the weight of a lot of rats. If you want to make it last longer use some big binder clips to keep it hooked to the cage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

I've found that the brackets on the space pod tend to break under the weight of a lot of rats. If you want to make it last longer use some big binder clips to keep it hooked to the cage.

That's hilarious.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

lmao "I NEED TO GET INSIDE"

also I got to visit my husband's rats again over christmas at his parents so please enjoy:

https://twitter.com/hateball_sa/status/945744685477367809

https://twitter.com/hateball_sa/status/944240164074868736

They're still nervous and nibbly but I left my hand in the cage for a while and the black one played with it so I'm glad they get to have a little interaction.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

also I got to visit my husband's rats again over christmas at his parents so please enjoy:

https://twitter.com/hateball_sa/status/945744685477367809

https://twitter.com/hateball_sa/status/944240164074868736

They're still nervous and nibbly but I left my hand in the cage for a while and the black one played with it so I'm glad they get to have a little interaction.

They're cute little buggers. :3

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm taking my first steps into rat management. Cage & supplies on their way, talking to rescues and breeders :3

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Cross postin' from the yob- Videos of the ratties wrastlin' while their cage gets cleaned :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV61DHx-46w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RsONPRkwoo

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm taking my first steps into rat management. Cage & supplies on their way, talking to rescues and breeders :3

My wife and I now refer to ourselves as "rat managers"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Starman Super DX posted:

Cross postin' from the yob- Videos of the ratties wrastlin' while their cage gets cleaned :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV61DHx-46w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RsONPRkwoo

Cuties :3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Have you decided whether you're going to go with boys or girls yet? And either way, congrats.

The breeder has both available so I opted for males, since I don’t really mind either way but maybe chill rats are a better first foray, smell aside.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

I prefer males, I know the general advice seems to skew towards females for beginners since they're supposedly cleaner and less likely to be aggressive but I've never had a problem with either and I definitely prefer the chiller guys over the more mischievous ladies.

I hadn't heard that particular advice which I suppose is fortunate then :) Picking up 4 ladrats in a couple of weeks.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Hey I have that cage, its not bad. We used it for a quarantine cage after Betty's testicle removal. Hard to get a gingerbread house through those doors tho.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I hadn't heard that particular advice which I suppose is fortunate then :) Picking up 4 ladrats in a couple of weeks.

Boy rats get fatter and lazier as they get older.
Which is great if you want a lazy pile of fuzzy rat-hams on your lap to cuddle, not so much if you were planning on train them to do tricks or whatever.

Every rat is unique though, you never know what kind of weirdo rat you might get.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Which is great if you want a lazy pile of fuzzy rat-hams on your lap to cuddle

I have made the right choice.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Boy rats get fatter and lazier as they get older.
Which is great if you want a lazy pile of fuzzy rat-hams on your lap to cuddle, not so much if you were planning on train them to do tricks or whatever.

Every rat is unique though, you never know what kind of weirdo rat you might get.

For what it's worth, I've only owned boy rats and they're pretty easy to train. (It helped that all of my boys were uh very food-motivated.)

:3: Yes it did.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

what is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHiICCfxyfw

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Poor rodent, that's just a really loving cruel thing to do.
It's desperately trying to wash the soap out of it's fur and it'll probably end up eating it and inhaling it, which is really bad for them.
Poor thing.

Also, according to a comment I saw, apparently that's a nutria.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

So I suppose I never mentioned this in the first place but one of the very interesting things that we had found out when picking up our new dumbos (Cookie and Vanilla) is that Coffee and Cream were not actually fancy rats! when my GF and I chose our original rats we asked to see the "Small Rats" labeled at our local farmer's market pet store. The second time, the girl helping us pointed out that the all albino "Small Rats" were feeders and not fancy rats at all! Confused, we pointed out that the rats we bought a year ago were mixed colors and she told us that sometimes the fancy rats get mixed in with the feeders and will occasionally produce feeders of varying colors. The only real difference in upbringing I think is that the dumbos and "fancy rat" breeds are handled more from birth.

Why does any of this matter?

Well, to be honest, my new rats have much bigger personalities than Coffee or Cream did! It's fascinating, really. They act similarly, but more complex. Vanilla is very shy and particular like Cream was (but seems to choose her actions very deliberately) and Cookie? Cookie is a bad rat (even if she is my favorite!) biting and tearing at everything she can get her cute little incisors on (the second I take her off my desk she runs right back onto it)! She even managed to make a 1in tear in a poster on my wall after climbing up the back of my computer chair.

Also, has anyone had any experience with their rats farting? I think their food (Oxbow Garden Select) has been giving all three of my rats both diarrhea and gas. (I mean they smell like poo poo on and off and there's no poo poo to be found so)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Starman Super DX posted:

So I suppose I never mentioned this in the first place but one of the very interesting things that we had found out when picking up our new dumbos (Cookie and Vanilla) is that Coffee and Cream were not actually fancy rats!
[...]

Just so you know, all those designations pet stores use when it comes to rats are bullshit.
All pet rats are of the same species, Rattus Nonvegicus, and "Fancy Rat" is just a name for a Rattus Nonvegicus that was bred specifically to be a pet instead of being the wild rat and the markings that Coffee and Cream have don't occur naturally in the wild afaik, so they are all so called "fancy rats" just with very different personalities.

:goonsay:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Despite your claims, all of my rats are very fancy.