Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I can't stand wearing a name-tag. Its never the customers you like that actually use it. I "forget" mine when management goes home for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Nessa posted:

"Oh, Vanessa here will ring you through!" And the customer would be all, "Aaahhh.... VANESSA... Nice to meet you VANESSA."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4pPvHLIwc&t=40s
I frequently forget I have a nametag on, so on the rare occasion a customer uses my name I am just very confused, actually now that I think about it I basically never look at anyone's nametag either.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Mr. Kickshaw and I had our four year anniversary this weekend!

Shame the PTB decided that we have to do inventory every weekend and we couldn't go away for a few days as planned.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Nessa posted:

Elizabeth is the fake name I keep in my pocket in case a creepy stranger asks me.

I actually love it when people have fake names they use so their weirdo baristas don't actually have to call them by name. There used to be a dude who'd go by Gandalf so he didn't have to tell us his real name.

(I always tell people that if I have to choose one, it'd be Myfanwy - pronounced Miff-ANN-ee)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I actually love it when people have fake names they use so their weirdo baristas don't actually have to call them by name. There used to be a dude who'd go by Gandalf so he didn't have to tell us his real name.

(I always tell people that if I have to choose one, it'd be Myfanwy - pronounced Miff-ANN-ee)

Some people don't even give fake names. That's when I used to make one up for them. It was always something super embarrassing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I don't know that I've given my real name on anything that wasn't legally binding in the last 5 years or so. Even my account on my sister's Hulu isn't my real name, even though my whole family knows it's me.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So, I'm still at Target.

I was stocking groceries and we had a little metro for our backstock so everything was sorted.

A guest storms up, and tells me IT'S POLICY FOR A CART TO HAVE ONE WORKER OR MANAGER BY IT AT ALL TIMES. I WANT YOU TO CALL A MANAGER. Okay, I ask him where he'll be so I can tell the manager where to go. No response.

Well, whatever. I start to move the backstock cart to the back if it's such a bother. Cue guest flipping out at me, telling me moving it won't make a difference! HE'S GOING TO TELL MY MANAGER, AERO. He then asks me where he can find one. I let him know about guest service.

He storms off, going 'LET'S SEE IF YOU HAVE A JOB TOMORROW.' Dude, we're UNDERstaffed... Turns out he comes in almost every day to complain.

I also hate having to wear a nametag with my name because people always STARE at it, then say my name VERY LOUDLY like I'm some sort of dog. Or they use it to threaten me. AERO, I'm going to your manager AERO. I really wish I could use a fake name, given how some of these guests just go off at us for little to no reason.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's their only source for a hit of that addictive but fleeting rush of feeling important

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

So, I'm still at Target.

I was stocking groceries and we had a little metro for our backstock so everything was sorted.

A guest storms up, and tells me IT'S POLICY FOR A CART TO HAVE ONE WORKER OR MANAGER BY IT AT ALL TIMES. I WANT YOU TO CALL A MANAGER. Okay, I ask him where he'll be so I can tell the manager where to go. No response.

Well, whatever. I start to move the backstock cart to the back if it's such a bother. Cue guest flipping out at me, telling me moving it won't make a difference! HE'S GOING TO TELL MY MANAGER, AERO. He then asks me where he can find one. I let him know about guest service.

He storms off, going 'LET'S SEE IF YOU HAVE A JOB TOMORROW.' Dude, we're UNDERstaffed... Turns out he comes in almost every day to complain.

I also hate having to wear a nametag with my name because people always STARE at it, then say my name VERY LOUDLY like I'm some sort of dog. Or they use it to threaten me. AERO, I'm going to your manager AERO. I really wish I could use a fake name, given how some of these guests just go off at us for little to no reason.

Just say "actually, its not." And walk away?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Ah crap, we used to have a customer like that. She was like 60 and would come in every day at about 7am and look for anything with an out of stock label and demand an explanation as to why it was out of stock and complain until she got a supervisor or above to speak to her. I've seen her go for something that there was only one of and ask for more when there was nothing that was out of stock...

Some people will do anything for attention/conversation when they have nobody left as they age. It's very sad.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We had a dude who tried something like that. He was rather confused when I said no. He was also notorious for making rather rude comments to employees that lasted until he called corporate to complain about a female employee at another store throwing him out for going full creeper. 7-8 employees had to fill out incident reports detailing interactions with him. He was politely asked not to return and we were given permission to trespass him if he caused a ruckus again. Hes been in 2-3 times since, but hasn't said a peep outside of the bare minimum for the transaction. I'm happily waiting until he blabs again to call the cops. I can see him being the kind to wind up getting tazed while screaming "IS THIS HOW YOU TREAT VETERANS!?!" :allears:

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Budgie posted:

Ah crap, we used to have a customer like that. She was like 60 and would come in every day at about 7am and look for anything with an out of stock label and demand an explanation as to why it was out of stock and complain until she got a supervisor or above to speak to her. I've seen her go for something that there was only one of and ask for more when there was nothing that was out of stock...

I always wonder why people go to places they hate. If you have a problem with the store, stop going there.

Like my store has issues with our back room being basically non-existent, and being full from the last semi-pack rat manager. So when we get a truck, it has to be on the floor while we get it put up. And every truck day we get the same loving people (who show up every loving day) telling us how hard it is to get around and how they hate it and how we need to work harder to get it up. I have to bite my tongue each time to not just tell them, "Hey fucko, there's another store about a mile away that is cleaner then ours, better stocked, bigger, has the same poo poo, at the same price as our store (because it's in the same chain). And if you can't go that far, then why don't you go to the other store in the same parking lot, that has, roughly, the same poo poo we do, at the same price, is cleaner, and less busy?"

I really don't know how some of these idiots get out of bed in the morning and don't kill themselves by stabbing a toothbrush through the back of heir neck while trying to brush their teeth.

It seems like some idiot kids are now into prank calling my store, and some other group decided to make my store the target of a scavenger hunt. So now I've got a poo poo ton of stupid phone calls to deal with as well as the other poo poo ton of phone calls from stupid people. I've just gotten to the point where when some asks if we have something, I just say no. Unless it's super obvious, like batteries (which are under the battery sign, that's shaped like a battery).

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

It seems like some idiot kids are now into prank calling my store, and some other group decided to make my store the target of a scavenger hunt. So now I've got a poo poo ton of stupid phone calls to deal with as well as the other poo poo ton of phone calls from stupid people. I've just gotten to the point where when some asks if we have something, I just say no. Unless it's super obvious, like batteries (which are under the battery sign, that's shaped like a battery).

Oh man, we had a whole week of pranks calls once. It got to the point that one of our cashiers just snapped and called the kid an idiot and slammed the phone down.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Never introduce yourself when you pick up the phone. Introduce the store. If someone starts wasting your time or being rude, you just hang up on them.

If they call back to tell you you're not supposed to hang up on them, you hang up again.

This works 100% of the time, unless you're the kind of person that breaks out into an idiot grin if someone ( a manager ) asks you a question like, "Hey, did you hang up on a customer?"

Of course, I am confident that I could answer "yes" to that question with 3/4 of my managers and they'd think it was funny.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would always just say the name of the store when I answered the phone instead of my name. One time, a guy called and thought I was my female coworker who always used her name on the phone, but sounded completely different from me.

I answer the phone and get:

:byodood: "Hi Tracey, so I wanna ask you some questions about what we were talking about earlier..."

:j: "Uhhh... no one named Tracey works here. Do you mean Trish?"

:byodood: "Yeah, yeah! Sorry Trish, so anyway..."

:j: "Oh, I'm not Trish. She's not working today, but I can try to help you out anyway!"

He had some questions about his phone plan that I wasn't qualified to answer, so I did have to pass him on to someone else at some point.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

We've had a string of lines leaders that get pissy if you don't answer your phone with your name.
But my first name is the same as my department manager's, so I never volunteer my name on a phone call. I learned that within a week of working here. People will assume I'm him and start dropping manager poo poo on me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've had an elderly lady who came into the store like every other day explicitly to bitch about our various greens. All the time, would immediately come in and bitch about it. Yeah sometimes the edges will start to yellow, sometimes they are a bit limp, but most of the time I literally cannot find any fault with them, even if I were to look at it with the mindest of "Oh poo poo the district manager is coming in everything has to be perfect!" I still cannot find a fault.

And every time, "What happened to this store? It used to be so good. This is why everyone shops at <competitor who costs twice as much as us>. This is why you don't have any customers." She says as there is a traffic jam next to the jalapenos, bananas and onions. I guess she knows she's full of it cause she keeps coming back to our store instead of going to the competitor.

Like if you hate our store so much why the gently caress do you keep coming back?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
"Hey, the truck only has four pallets. This should only take us like ten minutes."

First pallet comes off.

Second pallet comes apart.

Third pallet leans like someone got really uncertain about which direction was up about halfway through building it.

Forty minutes to pull four pallets. Wee.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Sometimes people try to blame the truck driver for fallen pallets but I am 100% always going to blame the DC.
Don't loving stack heavy poo poo on top of soft poo poo, you simpletons. :wtc:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I work in a grocery warehouse and our order pullers get extra incentive pay based on how quickly they finish assignments. And that pay can be pretty significant (I made over $40k in incentive alone last year) so guys have a reason to half rear end their stacks. Sometimes stacks are hosed up simply because of how items are laid out in the warehouse. Over the holidays for example they just threw the hams into whatever empty slots they could find so we would have pallets built 2/3 of the way up with juice and coffee creamer and then we have to throw 20 cases of hams on top. For the most part heavy items are in the beginning of sections but if they are empty when we go to pick them we have to come back and throw them up at the end of the assignment, so you end up with things like 40lb lettuce cases on top of berries and bags of salads. Also, having empty space on trailers is inefficient so loaders often have to condense 32+ pallets totaling 1400+ cubic feet into 24-26 pallets to get it to fit in the trailer.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
We have one box of cigarettes on each delivery which has to be handed personally from the driver to the person working in front of cameras (:jerkbag:) and it's without fail on the bottom corner of the biggest pallet.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

cephalopods posted:

Sometimes people try to blame the truck driver for fallen pallets but I am 100% always going to blame the DC.
Don't loving stack heavy poo poo on top of soft poo poo, you simpletons. :wtc:

As a former warehouse manager, I can tell you that it is invariably 100% the warehouse people's fault if a pallet falls apart. When you build a pallet, you ASSUME the truck driver is insane and coked to the gills and the truck will get re-packed in a bizarre and insecure way.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Eric the Mauve posted:

When you build a pallet, you ASSUME the truck driver is insane and coked to the gills

It would be pretty disappointing if he wasn't.

therobit fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 26, 2018

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Pretty sick of being asked to cover the same girl's shifts. Last time I did I found out that her car was parked at her friends in the same apartment complex I live in, only she backed into the spot presumably so I wouldn't notice her many unique bumper stickers. So much for being sick and throwing up huh? Shift probably shouldn't have name dropped her when they called me but as soon as I heard her name I said "no, sorry." and ended that call quick.

If you dont wanna work and just get high all the time with your friend and call out so other employees get bothered on their days off then...idk quit? maybe? let a more reliable employee who doesnt show up to work stoned all the time have your spot?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Day 2 of six days off in a row because work is some bullshit. I've been spending it applying for other jobs!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pentaghastly posted:

If you dont wanna work and just get high all the time with your friend and call out so other employees get bothered on their days off then...idk quit? maybe? let a more reliable employee who doesnt show up to work stoned all the time have your spot?
If she quits she can't (attempt to) get unemployment and thus get paid to sit around and get high all the time.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The Walmart in the same plaza as us had their power go out from 10am to 7pm today. I have never seen so many people in the store at once. :stare:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Mynocks, chewing on the power cables.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Beastie posted:

Mynocks, chewing on the power cables.

Shaka, when the wires fell.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So I took a vacation this weekend and that made me miss out on some interesting stuff.

scene: store manager is working on something up by the front register when dude comes in.

:tinfoil: I need a job!
:confused: Uhhh...
The manager grabs him an application in the hopes it makes him go away.
:tinfoil: Well, are you going to give me a job!?
Literally yelling every word he says.

At this point the store manager tells him no, and then tells him to get the gently caress out of the store.

Dude flips the gently caress out. Starts tossing ceramic poo poo off the shelves and then picks up a metal thermos and chucks it. Manager ended up with a bruise but nothing serious. At that point the guy leaves but, our store being right down the street from a police station he is nabbed almost immediately.

Looking it up later, it's this dude who attempted to citizens arrest a mayor and police chief in oregon.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/7/activist-convicted-after-citizens-arrest-attempt/

My favorite line is

quote:

Seidel strongly objected to the mental health evaluation. He said the doubts about his mental state were “gaslighting,” a term for psychologically manipulating someone into thinking they are insane.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

There is too much Very Online

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Had to take a mouse out of the store today, it was having seizures and rolling around in a big circle. My co-worker was terrified of mice, so she wouldn't do it.

The family that discovered it stood around it shrieking, and then wanted to be checked out, and I had the only register open. Then the mom proceeded to keep loving up with the E-coupons we have. Which took about ten minutes, then another customer was behind her.

Got the Broom and dust pan over to the mouse, which had wedged itself under a shelving unit, and then another customer came in and ran right to the aisle I was in, so I had to wait him out.

Eventually the mouse rolled out of the shelving area and I got him into the dust pan and took him outside, where hopefully an owl or cat ends him quickly.

UGGGGH.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I had the most adorable experience today. I served a little old lady who had to have been in her late 80s; yet she had a new iPhone, a new Apple Watch and she proceeded to use them expertly to Apple Pay both her loyalty card and her bill.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Gat drat that granny is ballin hard.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Gat drat that granny is ballin hard.

She could see I was impressed, so she said to me that she thinks people are never too old to have some fun and learn new stuff. She gets all her news online and stays in touch with all her grandkids on facebook. I was very impressed. It's sad when people refuse to learn new things, and you can see them being left behind and missing out on so much.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Anora posted:

Had to take a mouse out of the store today, it was having seizures and rolling around in a big circle. My co-worker was terrified of mice, so she wouldn't do it.

The family that discovered it stood around it shrieking, and then wanted to be checked out, and I had the only register open. Then the mom proceeded to keep loving up with the E-coupons we have. Which took about ten minutes, then another customer was behind her.

Got the Broom and dust pan over to the mouse, which had wedged itself under a shelving unit, and then another customer came in and ran right to the aisle I was in, so I had to wait him out.

Eventually the mouse rolled out of the shelving area and I got him into the dust pan and took him outside, where hopefully an owl or cat ends him quickly.

UGGGGH.

I worked a farm supply store for a year and change in college. Killing mice was about 20% of the job. We had so much feed and seed that more than a few split bags would make the very old building ideal for mice.

The worst part? The store used glue traps. I would be making my rounds and I'd hear the telltale squealing. From there I would have to get on my hands and needs to try and find the shelf with the mouse under it.

Unfortunately you really should end the poor little bastards life, so I'd tape the glue trap to the side of a 5 gallon buck filled with water. I always felt guilt drowning them but it beats starting to death or chewing their own legs off.

Should have just hired a bunch of snakes.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beastie posted:

Traditionally, hunting rodents in human spaces is a job for cats.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beastie posted:

I worked a farm supply store for a year and change in college. Killing mice was about 20% of the job. We had so much feed and seed that more than a few split bags would make the very old building ideal for mice.

The worst part? The store used glue traps. I would be making my rounds and I'd hear the telltale squealing. From there I would have to get on my hands and needs to try and find the shelf with the mouse under it.

Unfortunately you really should end the poor little bastards life, so I'd tape the glue trap to the side of a 5 gallon buck filled with water. I always felt guilt drowning them but it beats starting to death or chewing their own legs off.

That sounds awful..

The only animal ive ever had to remove from the building was a hummingbird. Poor thing flew in the store and kept flying at the glass to get out. When i got there it had exhausted itself. Tried one last time to get out of the store and as it was slowly coming down just stuck my hand out for it to land on. Covered it with a hat and walked it outside to a bush and managed to set it on a branch.

2 other hummingbirds flew over and kept buzzing in my face until i left. Dont know if it survived or not though.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

She could see I was impressed, so she said to me that she thinks people are never too old to have some fun and learn new stuff. She gets all her news online and stays in touch with all her grandkids on facebook. I was very impressed. It's sad when people refuse to learn new things, and you can see them being left behind and missing out on so much.

Wow that's the coolest old lady :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm getting a little tired of people asking where our bathroom is. It's down the hall, just like in every other building you've ever been in. Our lobby is not a maze, it's a wide open space with no doors other than the main entrance, and a large hallway leading off the side, where else would the bathroom be? I don't normally care too much, but when I'm juggling 20 customers and 2 phone lines I don't think it's too much for people to take a look around and figure it out on their own.