Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

rememebr to drug some meat in preperation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

HORMELCHILI posted:

rememebr to drug some meat in preperation

Yeah, and don’t forget to do it in the game too.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Yeah, and don’t forget to do it in the game too.

lol

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Capturing monsters is more hosed up because they're sent to have experiments done on them after you chop off their tail and break all their body parts.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
i am glad theres no blood or gore tho, just good clean hunting. also this is probably gonna be my goty, i love it so much

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

HORMELCHILI posted:

i dont feel bad when im one hide short of a sweet weapon upgrade. thats right motherfucker start limping

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Okay the only monster I feel bad for in this series is Paolumu. He’s adorable

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

People comparing hunting monsters in a videogame called Monster Hunter to anything in real life is absolutely a sign of the endtimes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Monster Hunter: World is a game where the most well realized elements—the creatures and the places—are meant to be mastered. You master them so that you can cut them into pieces, and you cut them into pieces so that you can make new gear, and you make new gear so that you can master them better. Even when you choose to trap monsters (a slightly more difficult task than simply killing them), you’re rewarded with their pieces when you get home. You are not a hero, you are a hunter who kills for sport.

In our current moment, the phrase “big game hunter” brings to mind the Trump sons posing with their kills, holding dead leopards and detached elephant trunks as sublimated stand-ins for wealth, privilege, and supposed masculine strength.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/lumpythecook/status/957799069031784450

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

fadam posted:

Monster Hunter: World is a game where the most well realized elements—the creatures and the places—are meant to be mastered. You master them so that you can cut them into pieces, and you cut them into pieces so that you can make new gear, and you make new gear so that you can master them better. Even when you choose to trap monsters (a slightly more difficult task than simply killing them), you’re rewarded with their pieces when you get home. You are not a hero, you are a hunter who kills for sport.

In our current moment, the phrase “big game hunter” brings to mind the Trump sons posing with their kills, holding dead leopards and detached elephant trunks as sublimated stand-ins for wealth, privilege, and supposed masculine strength.

austin walker is a moron.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

fadam posted:

Wait until you see Polygon’s article

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Disgusting. Returning my copy even though I was having an absolute blast with it

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
In the funny cat posing with the captured dinosaur, we see the ghosts of Abu Ghraib.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook posted:

#TimesUp for the disgusting pigs who developed this game

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
[stroking my chin wisely & typing a trillion words of gay poo poo instead of just playing the loving video game] If these boomberries were IEDs, would your bold hunter be as heroic?? And if the hulking monsters were revealed to be metaphors for african americans, would that too tarnish his glory?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

[stroking my chin wisely & typing a trillion words of gay poo poo instead of just playing the loving video game] If these boomberries were IEDs, would your bold hunter be as heroic?? And if the hulking monsters were revealed to be metaphors for african americans, would that too tarnish his glory?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

oh my god there aren't separate armor sets for melee and range :worship:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

oh my god there aren't separate armor sets for melee and range :worship:

they kept a list of all the changes they shouldve made for a decade and implemented it all in this game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

no more completely separate SP/MP, mandatory quests are clearly marked, damage numbers, weapon trees in the game, monster resists in the game, all great changes. im in disbelief current day capcom made it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Still, we couldn't help but be disappointed. The protagonist, such as it were, is an avatar devoid of personality, endlessly customizable but missing one key slider in creation: meaningful growth. I've spent 400 hours in the past week slicing, slashing, and yes, murdering thousands of monsters, largely for sport. But in that time, my character has never once stood up to the far subtler internal monsters of insecurity, indecision, depression, or the lack of Asian representation in film and television. "Monster Hunter" is a beautiful and shallow throwback to a simpler time, when a gamer's concerns went no further than the next Koopa (turtle monster). But unlike our Monster Hunter homunculi, we've grown up a bit. Shouldn't our games level up with us?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff posted:

mandatory quests are clearly marked,

drat maybe i need to renew ps plus

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Koopa (turtle monster)

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
the third biome fuucking owns. its so pretty!!

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i don''t know if i'll be able to repeatedly kill crabs with a hammer to make sexy gundam armor for my hunter babe now that i know the drumpf kids would approve of the settler state in the new world taking the feral felyne resources

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Okay the only monster I feel bad for in this series is Paolumu. He’s adorable

I hate him and go out of my way to kill him in unrelated quests

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

i bought it. im gonna play it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Every so often after a monster runs away and Im sharpening my weapon and getting ready for the next round, Ill see a couple notifications pop up about broken parts and then see an anjanath or something casually trot away from the area. Im waiting for the day a monster finishes the job for me.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This game is really good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Still, we couldn't help but be disappointed. The protagonist, such as it were, is an avatar devoid of personality, endlessly customizable but missing one key slider in creation: meaningful growth. I've spent 400 hours in the past week slicing, slashing, and yes, murdering thousands of monsters, largely for sport. But in that time, my character has never once stood up to the far subtler internal monsters of insecurity, indecision, depression, or the lack of Asian representation in film and television. "Monster Hunter" is a beautiful and shallow throwback to a simpler time, when a gamer's concerns went no further than the next Koopa (turtle monster). But unlike our Monster Hunter homunculi, we've grown up a bit. Shouldn't our games level up with us?

Nice one.

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
Watching all of these people playing on Twitch and reading all of the positive feedback is killing me - waiting on the PC release. This will be my first MH game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Made it to high rank lads.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Playing online last night and had 3 different pubbies 3-cart fights like 30 minutes in each.

Frustrating to waste time like that, but will make the next win that much more satisfying.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/958374340562702339

If there was any doubt these guys would Talk About This.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

tao of lmao posted:

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/958374340562702339

If there was any doubt these guys would Talk About This.

Patrick human being

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
u wont ever believe what they have you do to the monsters in Monster Hunter.....

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The death animations are one of the most rewarding experiences in the game. Seeing a gigantic bird or lizard keeling over after a 25 minute struggle feels fuckin good. Fight me, patrick.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

*sobbing w/little clear booger under nostril like a 3 yr old* And then the monsters DIE! :cry:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
love hearing patr ick’s voice haha. and his thoughts and opinions?? divine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwTOwehZhpo

This sort of brutal, visceral death scene really adds a somber note to the media we consume