Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, this is worrying, I feel like the game will be dead soon after launch with such little content. I guess I'm waiting until there's more stuff released.

It'd be a shame if the content is too light for people to stick around long term, because the core game is fun as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I agree with you all. The content is way too light. Which sucks because it's a cool concept and some pieces are perfect. But between the lack of content and the Windows Store requirement, I don't see this game making it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing that's a bit of a redflag to me gameplay wise is in a game where the combat is all about shooting and first person aiming how the character models are vary greatly in size and height, reading up, the hitboxes are going to be the same no matter what size you pick, so I worry your going to either have bullets whizz through peoples heads as the shortest models or whizz through the fat of bigger character models.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Also, I don't mind a game not having levels and orichalcum shovels and mithril bananas that put new players at a massive disadvantage, why does everyone want the game to have a drat grind and level gated content?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also, I don't mind a game not having levels and orichalcum shovels and mithril bananas that put new players at a massive disadvantage, why does everyone want the game to have a drat grind and level gated content?

I don't recall a single person saying they wanted that. People want more than a few hours of content for a $60 game, though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Regrettable posted:

I don't recall a single person saying they wanted that. People want more than a few hours of content for a $60 game, though.

poo poo tons of people are saying it all over the Rare forums and the subreddit for the game.

Frankly it seem the idea is the reason to play, beyond the fact it's fun, is going to be a) cosmetics and b) social rankings, which they have called being a pirate legend.

The datamining that was posted on reddit and then re-posted here is probably not the full range of stuff that will be in the game, and probably includes stuff that won't be in the final game, but even if you assume that's the lot, I still think it's pretty fun.

I didn't have to pre-order to get the beta as I was in the alpha, and I think if I wasn't I'd have pre-ordered and decided to cancel if I didn't find it fun.

I really don't blame people for waiting for release. I'm relatively confident that it will still be pretty fun on release and there will probably be a couple of things not in the list, but if not and people think it's lame (like the "Why can't i upgrade my ship and own noobs" people online) just don't buy it. Fairly straight forward.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Kitchner posted:

poo poo tons of people are saying it all over the Rare forums and the subreddit for the game.

Yeah, everyone over there wants skill trees and items to grind and all sorts of ways to make the game terrible for new players and casuals.

As long as there’s enough fun piratey stuff to do, I’m glad that Rare isn’t putting that stuff in their pvp only game. It’d turn unfun really quick if they did.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just want a reason to explore. From what I saw during the beta, the islands themselves are often well crafted, but everything is completely empty. A few NPC vendors in the settlements, and some skeletons here and there is all you'll ever see.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

I just want a reason to explore. From what I saw during the beta, the islands themselves are often well crafted, but everything is completely empty. A few NPC vendors in the settlements, and some skeletons here and there is all you'll ever see.

Yeah this is the part that worries me. The sailing is is really fantastic in this game, I would love to just cruise around exploring but the idea that all you'll ever run into is skeletons and barrels of bananas isn't very motivating. A game like this needs a long term goal cause it's not like Counter Strike or something where there is a win state it just keeps going and death is mostly painless.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qcMFCchMo4

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I magically managed to fix my poo poo and got the beta downloaded. Next up, vomit cage.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Why can't you connect to the game as a party right now?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

CJ posted:

Why can't you connect to the game as a party right now?

Login servers are getting hammered. poo poo ton of people trying to hop into

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

:chanpop:

wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"

I am also a boat hoe

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

gently caress you keshik

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223205443

this game has exceeded my wildest expectations!!!!!111

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UtTw2Jjb3s

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223208829

soy fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 28, 2018

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

This game seems very... No Man's Sky-ish at the moment. A nice framework for a game but the little content there is gets very repetitive and boring.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Since it's an online game if microsoft is in this for the long haul I think it has a good chance of getting somewhere. Most online games are pretty lovely at launch. Warframe and elder scrolls online were turbo trash at launch but now they seem to be doing well with tons of people having fun.

If microsoft pulls the plug because it doesn't get enough sales/players straight at launch though, :rip:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thats my worry too but £50 is a stupid amount of money to ask, half that is much more reasonable for the amount of content at the moment.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I watched two streamers, summit and cdn, go for 50 chests yesterday. It looked like a blast to be honest, If you have a few folks that can work together then the base game provides a good amount of stuff to do so you're staying active. They just need to flesh out the rest of the world a bit. A random npc treasure galleon every now and again and some more poo poo to do around the islands/outposts and they've got a solid game. Maybe a fishing minigame for when you're underway? The datamined client already has parrots and fish, for instance, so a bit of that atmosphere that is lacking will I think be fine on release. Also the respawn system is a mess as is.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I would love fishing. That would be a fun way to pass the time in between islands.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ijyt posted:

Thats my worry too but £50 is a stupid amount of money to ask, half that is much more reasonable for the amount of content at the moment.

Having played this game a lot if the game was £25 I'd think it was an absolute steal, which of course means that it's too cheap (thanks capitalism).

Realistically £50 may be a tad much if they don't add a whole bunch of stuff in, but realistically this is easily a £40 game.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

There’s going to be more at launch then what we see and it’s clear they’re gonna be constantly sending out content for the game. Microsoft is setting this game up to be their head reason to use the Windows 10 and Xbox Live. A constantly updating online PvP optional coop open world do what you want game with character customizations. It’s setup as like the prototypical Games as a Service style game but done extremely well. It’s going to be their keystone for dragging people into their ecosystem and I wouldn’t be surprised if we do not see loot boxes in the game as a way to foster good will to get more people at the Microsoft store fronts

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah that's basically my thinking, they want this to be something that drives people back to it, which means that if you pay monthly for it you still think it's worth it. If they get a bunch of games like that under their belt that's probably the strategy.

I mean if you think about Netflix, they started off just providing a service by paying a lot to get 3rd party TV shows and movies on the website, then shifted to their own content. MS is just doing the same but starting with their own content because they have Windows money.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

My friends and I ended up in a lobby with a galleon of people speaking tagalog last night. While we were able to board their ship, and take it down quickly the first time, they started hunting us once they re-spawned. This could have been a lot of fun, but it turns out fighting someone lagging with this game's netcode is a nightmare. They get a huge lag shield and janky movement to the point where you can point blank someone with the blunderbuss and miss while all of their shots seemingly land. After about 30 minutes of respawn blunderbuss fight, neither side could sink the other ship using cannons or buckets, or even get enough time to raise the anchor and sail away. We ended up having to drop the lobby to get out of it.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 28, 2018

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kitchner posted:

Having played this game a lot if the game was £25 I'd think it was an absolute steal, which of course means that it's too cheap (thanks capitalism).

Realistically £50 may be a tad much if they don't add a whole bunch of stuff in, but realistically this is easily a £40 game.

£27 used to be the norm for PC games. :sigh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Where I live, new AAA games used to cost what is now 12-15 euros when I was a kid :v:

Of course, we've also had some 100% inflation happen in these ~20 years, but still.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I missed a beta or two so I didn't know which npc to sell chests to but I figured it out eventually. Non-mic crews are lame.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ijyt posted:

At $20, I would buy this in a heartbeat because if I only clocked in 30 hours or so before the game died (if it does), I'd feel that I got my money's worth.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

s.i.r.e. posted:

At $20, I would buy this in a heartbeat because if I only clocked in 30 hours or so before the game died (if it does), I'd feel that I got my money's worth.

I'm just going to wait for the final game to comes out in March before plopping down $60... The game looks fun, and im sure Rare/Microsoft is holding back on content... But im going to wait and see.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am going to subscribe to Microsoft's game pass thing on the XBone for ten dollars a month and if the game is terrible I am only out ten dollars.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Tempus Thales posted:

The game looks fun, and im sure Rare/Microsoft is holding back on content

I don't see the point in holding back on content and at the same time allowing people to stream the closed beta and letting everyone see just how little content there is. That's not going to lead to good release sales.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
90% of why I want to try the game is just the gorgeous water

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The sailing is great but my friends are too unreliable to group up with regularly which kind of removes a good chunk of this game’s appeal, to the point I’d have been happier with a single player game. :smith:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am going to subscribe to Microsoft's game pass thing on the XBone for ten dollars a month and if the game is terrible I am only out ten dollars.

However then if you decide actually the game is loving fantastic you're left with the option of staying subscribed (which is what MS wants because if you're subscribed you're more likely to say subscribed and make more money for them in the long run) or to buy the game in which case you paid $10 more for it (which is good for them).

I mean arguably if literally the only reason to get the pass is to play this game maybe you subscribe for a few months, and essentially get it for less, but they are kind of banking on you staying subscribed because $10 a month doesn't break the bank and there should be other stuff you'll play too.

ijyt posted:

The sailing is great but my friends are too unreliable to group up with regularly which kind of removes a good chunk of this game’s appeal, to the point I’d have been happier with a single player game. :smith:

Are you on the goon discord? I think it's still in the OP but people usually are looking for crews on there.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

All that's fine by me. I agree that 10 bucks a month is not going to break the bank. However, I can count on one hand the number of games I've ever played for more than 2 or 3 months and two of those were mmos. Either way I will probably keep my subscription because it seems like an ok idea and I hope Microsoft pulls off a netflix for videogames type deal. Competition for Sony isn't a bad thing and the XBonx is a decent console.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
That's fine, if I had an xbox and they had good games on the pass I'd probably do it too. $120 a year is like buying three video games. So if you count sea of thieves basically you just need to play two more and it's breaking even.

On the other hand i go back to elder scroll online occasionally becaquse I bought it once and I can always play, whereas I never bother to resubscribe to EVE Online.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So I was chasing a galleon for most of an hour, landing like 30 shots into it when they decide to engage to no apparent effect before shooting myself out of a cannon and actually got close enough to sneak on board.

Killed the crew because sometimes they're all panicked nitwits who try the rifle when I'm in cutlass/blunderbuss distance or were blindsided before realizing there's no treasure on board and I didn't bring a powder keg so for all the trouble of it all I got was stealing some of their supplies and the last pull of their grog before jumping off to look for a merperson hoping my ship hadn't sunk since I last saw it.

So don't get me wrong, I felt like the most scurvy loving dog alive and I was screaming my pirate name over the mic through the mayham, but in the main release I'd really like there to be more to do then stand there dick in hand. At least let me steal their voyage contract or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ya I got so wasted playing this and had an absolute blast. I actually woke up the next day still drunk and felt like I had sea legs, had to hold on to the walls. I barely remember what happened while playing but apparently I made some gold. Amazing game given it’s beta. Can only get better.

Having a solid 4 man crew is critical.