Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

boviscopophobic posted:

Why would new citizen traffic shoot up in the 5 days prior to the start of the referral contest, when the citizenry at large didn't have any information on the contest? :thunk:

Sandi tweeted about the revamped referral contest on 5 April:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sandigardiner/status/849383149238878212?lang=en

Taxxe for the next lawsuit:

radd fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Bootcha's gagged.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

radd posted:

Sandi tweeted about the revamped referral contest on 5 April:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sandigardiner/status/849383149238878212?lang=en

OK, so then why the uptick on April 15 specifically rather than, say, April 6?

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

boviscopophobic posted:

OK, so then why the uptick on April 15 specifically rather than, say, April 6?

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect that after the MSR on the 15th (general knowledge of the program plus start date), there would have been questions on the forums as to whether referrals before the 20th still count. If a CIG rep said they would, that would generate the immediate spike on that date.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Other than buying ships, spending time to create new citizen accounts is one of the only ways a delusional backer with too much emotional investment can directly "Help the game." Slapfighting on forums and stuff doesn't really count. Creating new accounts raises a number that is good for the game and all it takes is the time of the person who wants to do it.

The number of citizen accounts is a huge weapon used by the faithful to prove they aren't alone in their stupidity and that "The People" want Star Citizen.

I bet there are people who have created thousands of accounts each. Or more.

I wouldn't be surprised if whales make a new account every time they want to buy a ship—using their own referral code—and then gifting the ship from the new account to their main one.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Bootcha's gagged.

:(

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm just surmising. Prove me wrong, Bootcha.

Awesome Fidelity
Aug 16, 2017

The path i walk lights up in
fidelity

boviscopophobic posted:

Why would new citizen traffic shoot up in the 5 days prior to the start of the referral contest, when the citizenry at large didn't have any information on the contest? :thunk:

There is your answer

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Rage Against The Vajeen would be a good name for a star citizen band

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Also, did not sperglords get told that if they had more than one account the other ones would act as a NPC of which you could control while playing your main? (if I remember correctly, this was long ago on 10 for the Fools? Along with poo poo like managing battles from the deck of your capital ships RTS like.)

I mean, they still don't even have it so you can invite other players into your hanger to show off all the poo poo that you have paid real money to a talentless idiot to have, which was put out there ages ago, and to which I'm sure people started decorating there hangars for. (i.e. spending money on a still as yet non present feature.)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 29, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Is the 1,778,912 number of accounts, and the 1,246,675 number of ships sold?

And this:

That's number of new accounts per day?

I'm unable to fit these together.

The graph is showing days of 10k new accounts, but the sheet is showing a best day of 3k new accounts? I'm clearly misunderstanding one of these.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Toops posted:

Doesn't really matter imo, since CryTek is entitled to it as bug fixes and enhancements as a part of their GLA. So showing it to the public still violates the licensing agreement which, above all else, is designed to protect proprietary intellectual property.

well like that is just your opinion man.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

Also, did not sperglords get told that if they had more than one account the other ones would act as a NPC of which you could control while playing your main? (if I remember correctly, this was long ago on 10 for the Fools? Along with poo poo like managing battles from the deck of your capital ships RTS like.)

I mean, they still don't even have it so you can invite other players into your hanger to show off all the poo poo that you have paid real money to a talentless idiot to have, which was put out there ages ago, and to which I'm sure people started decorating there hangars for. (i.e. spending money on a still as yet non present feature.)

Yes

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13288-Multiple-Package-Clarification

Also inviting other players to your hangar was promised for ~9 weeks after the 1st hangar release in August 2013, according to Chris Roberts during a live stream at around this time. Obviously they didn't do it because A, it involves networking, computer shite, of which they have little interest or ability & B, you might not buy a ship if you can visit it for free in your friends hangar.

AP fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 29, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

AP posted:

Yes

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13288-Multiple-Package-Clarification

Also inviting other players to your hangar was promised for ~9 weeks after the 1st hangar release in August 2013, according to Chris Roberts during a live stream at around this time. Obviously they didn't do it because A, it involves networking, computer shite, of which they have little interest or ability & B, you might not buy a ship if you can visit it for free in your friends hangar.

Well back, Derek said there was some complication with CryEngine that prevented being able to have other players in your private hangar. I was never really clear on the whats or whys, but I don't know specific details of the engine's internals, so I had no choice but to take the statement at face value.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
This piracy news has really upset some backers, I'm seeing account names who were always the aggressive defenders now attacking the project and calling it Pay2Win.

AP posted:

Yes

We should create a list of "most delayed features" that aren't in the game yet - the character creator was originally supposed to be done by the end of 2016, (mentioned in the 2.4 roundtable), "Organisations 2.0" was scheduled for Winter 2014, then the Starmap was given priority over it, which released in Oct 2015, and then a short update at Xmas 2015 saying we should see things soon, then they said we should see it with the updated website, but the website has come and gone in 2018 with no redone organisations.

RubberJohnny fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 29, 2018

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I know I'm the only one pushing the angle of Russian or whatever troll farms for hire being in play, but I'm convinced there is something to it. Even if it's just a small time op with a tiny handful of actors, something is going on. I can just smell it.

If I'm correct, I wonder what they are being told to say, and what direction they are being given.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwCvDUcglrY&t=49s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Well back, Derek said there was some complication with CryEngine that prevented being able to have other players in your private hangar. I was never really clear on the whats or whys, but I don't know specific details of the engine's internals, so I had no choice but to take the statement at face value.

I believe the hangar is just a local cryengine map, that's how videos of the $10,000 only space bar got out, people found the space bar map and renamed it to the hangar map. So for anyone to visit someone else's hangar, you'd need an instance server, or some other way of connecting directly to your friend's pc so he was host.

I forget what the space bar was called, but paying $10,000 so you can virtually drink by yourself seems like a good deal to me.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

AP posted:

I believe the hangar is just a local cryengine map, that's how videos of the $10,000 only space bar got out, people found the space bar map and renamed it to the hangar map. So for anyone to visit someone else's hangar, you'd need an instance server, or some other way of connecting directly to your friend's pc so he was host.

I forget what the space bar was called, but paying $10,000 so you can virtually drink by yourself seems like a good deal to me.

Yeah, that's somewhat how I remember him explaining the issue. You'd need to get someone into your personal instance of a hangar, but everyone has their own instances of hangars. Something like that.

XK fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 29, 2018

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

RubberJohnny posted:

This piracy news has really upset some backers, I'm seeing account names who were always the aggressive defenders now attacking the project and calling it Pay2Win.

Something tells me CIG is going to try and protect the "investment" of the whales a little more openly. It comes down to business where the amount of idiot money they get from soothing the nerves of whales and reassuring them is more important than anyone who is upset at the implications of the way in which they choose to soothe them.

Unfortunately due to THE WORLD'S MOST OPEN DEVELOPMENT we have no idea why they might suddenly seek more or further secure funding. No way at all to correlate this to other things happening unfortunately.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEYHlN0qUM&t=2218s why backers believe in star citizen. and then lando starts talking about educating skeptics with ATV episodes. Skeptics exist because they just haventh heard about word of chris.
the whole video is just rewriting star citizens history for backers, re-educating em about what has happened/promised in past. Its kinda amazing
Also https://youtu.be/cDEYHlN0qUM?t=4725 they rewrote the lando leak part, it didnt happen. Leak source was elite hacker :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEYHlN0qUM&t=5308s :allears:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

They hired some guy who makes videos in his tossed bedroom to make their trailers?

He founded INN!?

what

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Toops posted:

This is classic cargo cult nonsense. Lando, in his obvious inexperience, doesn't understand what iteration means. He doesn't know what planning looks like. He's never been a part of the design process. He's repeating words he's heard and/or read a blog about, and the way he mis-uses them belies his absolute rookie status in game development.

Agile development doesn't mean "don't plan." It means plan to the best of your ability given the information you have now, but understand the plan will change as new information becomes available and plan for that too.

I mean holy poo poo, in design terms, the difference between 45, 50, and 100 star systems is absolutely zero. For every gameplay feature, you MUST take into account how it will play in 100 star systems with 1000's of players using them. But Lando doesn't understand the nature of the question, at all, because he's an absolute novice at this. Expert game developers rely on knowledge and experience, and can foresee both challenges and opportunities for fun, which informs the design. And when asked that question, they would have an answer, because they know to think about it.

Once you can scale to 45 systems, and your gameplay holds fast and proves itself fun, without exploits or tech issues at scale, the design is effectively done. It works. Now just keep adding systems which at most requires artwork and environment design (read: time).

But if you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, you spend all your development time in the weeds working on something that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of working at scale, let alone being fun, and is guaranteed to have game-breaking exploits, and when that becomes apparent when your half-cooked prototype falls down in production, you scrap it and start over, re-doing it just like the last time.

CIG is stuck in a Sisyphean hell of incompetence. Case in point, I know of a guy who was working on the ship's damage states. He spent the better part of a year working and re-working the same problem because Chris kept changing the poo poo up. He worked diligently on this single feature for nearly a year before quitting, as there was no end to the re-works in sight.

a year on one single thing and he couldnt make his mind up. That reads just like the art guy and why he left. no wonder this project is poo poo and why there is no one with experience left.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Hobold posted:

Wonder how much more, workable, things would be if they hadn't run off Eric/Rob and the Austin crew, in the power struggle to feed Sandi's ego and base everything out of LA.

they got the hangar and part of SM out didnt they? most of the ships we see now as well? I think most of what was done now was done by those guys.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEYHlN0qUM&t=2218s why backers believe in star citizen. and then lando starts talking about educating skeptics with ATV episodes. Skeptics exist because they just haventh heard about word of chris.
the whole video is just rewriting star citizens history for backers, re-educating em about what has happened/promised in past. Its kinda amazing
Also https://youtu.be/cDEYHlN0qUM?t=4725 they rewrote the lando leak part, it didnt happen. Leak source was elite hacker :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDEYHlN0qUM&t=5308s :allears:

o so lando didnt just leave the link with a few missing letters and people found it. lol what a loving turd.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

I know I'm arguing with a brick wall, but: nobody who's reading a blog about Star Citizen legal proceedings at this stage in the game is unfamiliar with the drama to date. A dramatic and wide-ranging summary is great if you are a media outlet bringing the story to ten thousand fresh new sets of eyes, but at this point the thread and your blog are basically the hardest of the hardcore special-interest demo's and you are only going to get a few dozen people at most. At that point it's better to do fun, interesting "Hot takes" on the latest stuff, followed by a really insightful and conversation-altering long-form post once every couple months, if you have a lot of new dirt to cover.

You don't know whether or not I'm a warlord. You don't know my life.

You are clearly missing the point. Years from now, as has happened in the past, what gives you the impression that people are going to remember half this poo poo that's littered across various Internet communities? And that's precisely why I do my best to collate, collect, and archive as much of the pertinent stuff as possible - and all in one place. Even all the best posts and analysis we've done here over the years, will all be lost in the fabric of time - not particularly because people forget, but because nobody will care enough to dig it all up, let alone remember what was written, when, and where.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Sandi acting in C grade movies with fake tattoos. I watched Chris Roberts wave his hands around while talking about boarding mechanics. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

XK posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Sandi acting in C grade movies with fake tattoos. I watched Chris Roberts wave his hands around while talking about boarding mechanics. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

:same:

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

RubberJohnny posted:

We should create a list of "most delayed features" that aren't in the game yet - the character creator was originally supposed to be done by the end of 2016, (mentioned in the 2.4 roundtable), "Organisations 2.0" was scheduled for Winter 2014, then the Starmap was given priority over it, which released in Oct 2015, and then a short update at Xmas 2015 saying we should see things soon, then they said we should see it with the updated website, but the website has come and gone in 2018 with no redone organisations.

Here is a list of 77 promises that are over 3 years old: StarCitizen Tracker filtered by Stagnant

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

:wtchris: is wrong with these broken people?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Please correct me if I’m wrong anyone (especially lawgoons) but it seems to me like discovery itself would be an annihilating fire that consumed what remains of Chris Roberts’ tarnished reputation and denied him safe harbor even in the “at least they tried” respite for posterity. Even assuming Roberts felt CIG might only be at risk of minor damages for contract breaches, that seems secondary to his potential reputational damage if things excavated via discovery entered the public record, for the reason recently mentioned by nnnotime:

Kotaku UK’s journalistic ‘discovery’ destroyed the false narrative propping up a Star Marine fiction and had Roberts looking flustered, foolish and more than a little fraudulent as it also put his past record of backer guidance into the harshest light possible. The same is true of Derek forcing Roberts public acknowledgement of his formerly hidden marriage to Sandi, a lie that told via constant acts of omission and one employees were coerced to support that looked sleazy, suspicious and ridiculous after exposure.

I may be operating under simplistic assumptions. I assume the case clears the motion to dismiss and goes to court, and then the big question is simply “will Crytek settle or not?” The unnecessarily provocative testiness in CIG’s replies may serve short term PR benefits with backers but doesn’t seem like it does them any favors at all if the MTD fails and they’re facing an antagonized Crytek in court. What possible confidence might Chris and Ortwin have in being vindication by due process if the cost of justice requires them to endure a discovery process that could unearth so very much that they’ve done while assuming “the backers will never know”?

Again, please correct if I’m misunderstanding the process side of this. The PR side seems pretty clear, and from that sense, “The backers must never know.”

It's all pure arrogance and hubris. Those have been the guiding principles of this poo poo-show for as long as anyone can recall. And as been proven time and time again, it's going to continue being their undoing.

After the judge rolls up the MtD and shoves it up Ortwin's rear end without lube, they have to setup a schedule for discovery, depositions etc. During that time, they can still be talking settlement, though as I've written, I don't expect that to be on any friendly terms, given the very public arrogance, hostility, and unprofessional conduct exhibited by the Ortwin-led CIG onslaught.

But attorneys who are in the middle, even with problematic clients, tend to have calmer heads during settlement negotiations because nobody wants to go to trial. And regardless of what Ortwin writes, I have to believe that FKKS should have already seen some the writing on the wall by now that their client stands absolutely no chance of prevailing on any of the accusations. Also, once the MtD fails spectacularly, that's when FKKS is going to have a "Come To Jesus" discussion with their clients, briefing them about the loving minefield they're about to step into, asking them if there is anything they need to know beforehand etc. Since clients lie to their attorneys all the time, it stands to reason that Ortwin will lie to their attorneys, concealing the more egregious things likely to expose them. Then it shows up in discovery, and all hell breaks loose.

The biggest problem they have, and which Ortwin has to know by now, is that this lawsuit has immense scope and there is no way they are going to be able to stifle things from depositions or discovery, without running afoul of the court. I'm sure we're going to be seeing lots of filings from CIG disputing certain discovery requests, all of which will ultimately fail. Why? Because, right from the onset, by going after Ortwin's conflict, Skadden set the "reputation + pattern of conduct trap" for Ortwin, ensnared him in it with deadly precision, and set the stage for credibility & reputation to get a front row seat in the proceedings. They're going to want to establish a pattern of conduct that shows that CIG behaved dishonestly etc. And THAT is how things like their personal lives, expenditures, Ortwin's involvement etc are all going to be open season for discovery. If they were dishonest enough to breach the terms of the GLA, discovery is going to be the path to establishing that pattern of conduct which is what is going play before the judge and the jury (if it goes to trial).

They have to settle. There is no other way out of this for them. But given the amount of money involved, even with whatever the liability insurance ends up agreeing to pay - if anything - they're going to find a way to raise that money because my guess is that Crytek isn't going to risk any long term promises, knowing that CIG is run by a pack of lying, thieving, scumbag scam artists.

Anyway, none of this matters because this pales in comparison to what's currently developing behind the scenes and which I am certain is the actual final nail in the coffin, regardless of how this distracting lawsuit plays out.

And I still maintain that people are either going to jail, or taking plea deals, over this fiasco.

----------------

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is comically true. Now if a pirate wants a Super Dildo 4000, they can’t just gently caress over one person and be done with it. Now each time they log in they have to gently caress over a new person. Extra points if it’s the same person multiple times.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alf_pogs posted:

who the gently caress is applauding CIG at this point for anything

I applaud them for their near limitless screw ups and the huge amount of hubris that will likely do them in.

All they had to do was remake Freelancer with a new paint job. Look what’s happened. :allears:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

RubberJohnny posted:

The lack of ship persistence being acknowledged and confirmed by CIG is one of the more damaging confessions that could happen. So much of Citizen theorycrafting and dreaming has been based around a wild west style universe where being a pirate is a viable option. Hell, CIG sold pirate themed jpegs.

It's also a cascading design problem; if the stolen ships don't persist, many other systems are limited or flat out worthless. CIG pulled a piece out of the Jenga tower fairly close to the bottom and suddenly it's much harder to ignore how wobbly it looks.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Anyway, none of this matters because this pales in comparison to what's currently developing behind the scenes and which I am certain is the actual final nail in the coffin, regardless of how this distracting lawsuit plays out.

And I still maintain that people are either going to jail, or taking plea deals, over this fiasco.

Calling it now, we haven't heard the last of the Swedish Mafia :toot:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

They hired some guy who makes videos in his tossed bedroom to make their trailers?

He founded INN!?

what

He made the Imagine trailer, then, according to him, CIG bought the rights and he worked on other videos for them (I assume he got paid for those too), he was part of the original team that founded INN under the leadership of that digital marketing director that setup it up because he's a big fan of the game, he though he rarely logged into RSI (when you could actually see the last time someone was active, which they've now removed).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Disco talks Game Dev with the Space Bros

Paging SomethingJones: I’m only 2 minutes in and already slack-jawed.

“There’s no deadline. This goes on forever.”

Lando, speaking of Calling All Devs but just as well for the game itself. Listen to him as he expounds upon how much isn’t yet decided and realize that year 6 is indeed “early days” when you’ve no need for design docs because the ship sale money just never stops giving you reasons to expand scope, revise architecture, and reverse course...

These people are all con artists. I've been saying this forever and a day. So this Lando broadcast - which I've now archived - should come as no surprise. I mean, even the backers are still complicit. When I was writing my latest blog and reviewing the comparisons of the new TOS, I simply couldn't believe that that they would be so brazen with the two material changes they made. Yet, not a peep from the cult.

----------------

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

A company led by a "visionary game developer" who is making the game he has always wanted to make, with over $180m in pre-sales so far (and more on the way), still doesn't have any answers to questions about basic game features. Because they "are still figuring it out." In 2018.

loving hell. I'd say it was unbelievable, but after everything else that they've said and done, it isn't. It is absolutely believable.

Star Citizen is <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kw0134 posted:

One thing I'd like to make clear: discovery isn't a public process. It's disclosure to the other side but it's not like it's immediately slammed into PACER for all and sundry to pick over. If there's something really embarrassing to be found, for sure it'll be used, either as evidence to be brought up or an exhibit annexed to a motion. I don't want people to think "Hurrah, it's the first day of discovery!" expecting a torrent of papers to flood forth. Some first year associate will be picking through a small mountain of documents, certainly, but that won't be visible to us.

So our excitement will have to be curbed a bit, though if we do get discovery and that leads to a host of motions back and forth using what was found as a cudgel that will be funny. But it'll be a deferred pleasure.

:allears:

----------------