Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

So Derek isn't the anti Roberts he's the anti Ben?

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
If you've just stolen someone's spaceship, but you've got to log off in a few minutes, and you know that spaceship will de-jpeg after you log off...

...what's the MOST FUN THING you can think of doing with that ship?

That's right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKSlX4ZA3GY&t=30s

ps. I will always love you pgabz. Thank you for all the hot pvp a2m action.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Referral quotes for Star Citizen have been banned from a number of subs. MMORPG, spacesimgames, and so on. Citizens have a real bad rep. They are the timeshare sales reps of the gaming world.

I just noticed it today and hadn't seen it before. Any idea how long it's been there?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bob Socko posted:

I don’t understand why they didn’t copy Eve’s mechanics for ship theft and replacement. You’d have to tweak it to reflect Star Citizen and it’s lack of manufacturing, sure, but it seems like a reasonable starting place. Grandfathered early backers have lifetime insurance on certain hulls, everyone else has to pay each time, everyone has a delay for ship replacement to impede abuse. Less-secure space has a longer delay to deter abuse by pirates, lore it up by saying its more dangerous and therefore less trade there. Hell, copy Eve’s system security and space cops too, add real teeth to theft in high-security space. The mechanics don’t seem insurmountable and makes me wonder if the real reason for the theft change is that they can’t get it to work.

This. I mean I remember in EvE capturing ships and making them eject to save their implants and stealing their ships. They lost everything on that deal including the insurance.

My bet is they cannot ships despawning when the player logs out. If that was the case then this system would be the default behaviour of the system. You can spawn the ship, you can't spawn it again, you get the ship stolen, the player logs out and despawns the ship. You can then spawn it again at the terminal. I would say there's a 50/50 change that when the original owner of the ship logs out it will despawn their ship no matter whoes flying it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This has to be a deep cover goon right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

They basically made more problems for themselves thinking this will be simpler (yet the real reason is insurance fraud *wink* *wink*) but drat it raises tons of logic issues that are probably impossible to solve.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

This has to be a deep cover goon right?

Obvious joke made not obvious due to the Crobberts Effect.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toops posted:

It’s interesting for sure. IMO the easiest way to do this would be through a peer-to-peer network arch. The hangar owner acts as server host, everyone else connects to them. As with all netcode, it’s not straightforward, but would be feasible provided someone at CIG understands network programming, which I’ve seen no evidence of.

It would be easy to mask the connecting/loading screens behind some kind of “Preparing to teleport... Teleporting to PlayerX hangar” animation/particle system, or “Teleporting to PU” if the host disconnects. But I’m sure this isn’t “seamless” nor “fidelitous” enough for ol’ Crobbler.

I'd think, if they really wanted to do it, you could have the CIG servers host generic hangar instances. Then, whoever's hangar it's supposed to be, the details could be blasted over to that instance from wherever the hangar details are stored.

That sounds like work, though. Really, what're you going to do, go look at somebody's fish tank and the junk in their display cases? I understand why they wouldn't be interested in bothering, but they did promise it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

So Derek isn't the anti Roberts he's the anti Ben?

Does that catte have thumbse?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

I just noticed it today and hadn't seen it before. Any idea how long it's been there?

Most likely 5 seconds after the referrals started.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It seems like an example of the revenue model driving the gameplay. The can't do something easy like in Eve where if I steal someone's ship, then I have a ship and they don't, because that person paid $1000 for the ship and I paid nothing. So they need to make a new ship magically appear for the person that gave them money, and magically take away the ship from the person that didn't pay money (because people that don't pay money don't deserve ships).

So instead of just having to track that ship123 is at (x,y,z), they need to implement systems for multiple copies of a ship existing simultaneously, and making sure they appear and disappear properly.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Any sufficiently ambitious kickstarter is indistinguishable from a scam. - Arthur C. Parpe

Got me. I read it and scrolled by, then 2 seconds later something made me scroll back. Need a better brain ping

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Should add a system where if its not your ship, it triggers an anti-theft system where it will explode after a period like in one hour.
Actually make it part of the game, not an arbitrary 'lol no'.
You could then create skills for pirates to extend the hour if they have a buff or whatever learned.
But this is CIG, so lol not a loving chance.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AngusPodgorny posted:

It seems like an example of the revenue model driving the gameplay. The can't do something easy like in Eve where if I steal someone's ship, then I have a ship and they don't, because that person paid $1000 for the ship and I paid nothing. So they need to make a new ship magically appear for the person that gave them money, and magically take away the ship from the person that didn't pay money (because people that don't pay money don't deserve ships).

So instead of just having to track that ship123 is at (x,y,z), they need to implement systems for multiple copies of a ship existing simultaneously, and making sure they appear and disappear properly.

This is the weirdest thing. Eve has perfected the Space MMO economy game, they've spent a decade refining it and it works. People mine, people build ships, people fly ships, pirates destroy ships to salvage them, cycle continues.

You can be as involved in this process as much as you want, managing planets worth of manufacturing output to buying off the shelf and not caring.

All they had to do was rip off this model and make it first person and they were done. For once in their life CIG failed to Archer something correctly.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

I mean you're not wrong, that it will be hard to pull all of this together in years to come. I just can't imagine that ten years from now anyone's going to care that deeply about the minutiae of the incompetence of a failed car salesman and his evil crocodile leather handbag slash wife, but if they do you will certainly have it all in one place.

I guess I see the hilarity of this collapse as more of a transient thing. I'd rather laugh at it, learn from it if I can, and then move on. But if you need a big mound of skulls to stand on at the end of all things, you're on the right track. Truly you are the archivist that Star Citizen needs.

Fair points. But remember, we're still talking about, and making references to the likes of DNF, Daikatana, Freelancer etc, because we were all there. Some of the Star Citizen backers weren't even old enough to figure out how to piss standing up back then, and so it's "news" to them.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

I did not watch the video, but if I recall:

INN was founded by Wolf Larsen/Jake DiMare who owns a company called Oasis, which is an online marketing system designed to propagate your product through internet channels and social media by way of drumming up interest with fake users, astroturfing, sharing your stuff all over the internet (very similar to say, Boo Huxley did by posting about Star Citizen across lots of random web pages).

INN further “hired” a few well known Reddit users to create content. They did this for free, under the assumption that INN was also working for free.

As it turns out they discovered that INN was actually being paid, and threw a bit of a fit, and tried to leave and take INN and whatever money they could that they felt they deserved.

Since the break up, INN promised it would not stop since this was personal project and definitely not something CIG was paying for and has since basically stopped writing articles since mid-2017.

Hope this helps. Anybody can correct me if I’m wrong, my memory on this dumb crap is probably not 100% perfect.

Yeah, I wrote the expose about them being paid, which led to the hilarity that ensued literally days later and which led to the spectacular collapse. :grin:

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/05/star-citizen-the-inn-conspiracy/

----------------

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

SQL injection, meet the user table. How much you wanna bet passwords and credit cards aren’t encrypted.*

*This is in no way an endorsement of hacking. Although I’ve been programming a long time, I’ve never engaged in hacking, and avoided learning about it beyond how to defend against it. I believe programmers have a social responsibility to write code only with the intention of providing a valuable service, and/or helping advance humankind through art, entertainment, and technological advancement. Although I believe the RSI website is being used unethically, the source code itself was designed with good intentions. And no one, no matter how odious and malignant their web presence, deserves to have their identity or money stolen.

I’m in the same boat. I learned how to create and help, not destroy and harm. Though along the way I’ve learned some things.

Although I can’t see CIG managing PCI compliance so they’re probably using an alternative method where they are not storing the cards themselves (please don’t gently caress that up CIG), and probably just a token to something similar to Stripe.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aramoro posted:

This is the weirdest thing. Eve has perfected the Space MMO economy game, they've spent a decade refining it and it works. People mine, people build ships, people fly ships, pirates destroy ships to salvage them, cycle continues.

Well, it kind of does, but it's a lot more complex with larger holes in it than most people realise, and they've hosed with the fundamentals a few times. Blowing up the empire routes that led to the move to Jita from Lumiere changed the dynamic for named modules. Mining barges changed the industrial dynamic, moon mining again changed it, planetary products changed the dynamic again;

The one thing that CCP has been unafraid to do is piss off it's player base. I mean loving enrage it, if you remember Hilmar's comparison of a $70 ingame monocle with designer Jeans. It succeeds despite being punishing to the unwary, and is one of the harshest economic systems that ever existed.

CCPs other dirty little secret is that they put a $ cost on their ingame currency and allowed transfers. Whales are buying themselves alliances and corporations all the time, and get ripped off by other players, forgetting that you can't buy loyalty and weird checks and balances exist for reasons.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
What I miss?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw someone called the director of the economy or some nonsense when they were doing their studio tours.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

no_recall posted:

If I GTA another persons ship do I get away scot-free, and keep his ship if I NEVER log off?

The game has ways around around that, obviously. It crashes every 10 minutes, for one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy

XK posted:

What would a PvP slider even mean? I can't even theorycraft how such a thing could work.

it wasn't ever even meant to be a pvp slider but an interaction slider. you set it to co-op, and you get grouped by other people who want to shoot at npcs, you set it to death and get shot by other players.

when i asked what happens if i set it to coop and then shoot players, i never got an answer tho :v:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

I also like how having a door lock on your ship is apparently some insurmountable task.

CIG will be lucky just to get a door to open and close reliably before they go out of business.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

Not directly, the wiki posting rules are worded a bit differently but they were last updated 3 months ago. Probably it was added around the time of the big recruitment drive, Citizens got really obnoxious throughout the site for a while there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hav posted:

Well, it kind of does, but it's a lot more complex with larger holes in it than most people realise, and they've hosed with the fundamentals a few times. Blowing up the empire routes that led to the move to Jita from Lumiere changed the dynamic for named modules. Mining barges changed the industrial dynamic, moon mining again changed it, planetary products changed the dynamic again;

The one thing that CCP has been unafraid to do is piss off it's player base. I mean loving enrage it, if you remember Hilmar's comparison of a $70 ingame monocle with designer Jeans. It succeeds despite being punishing to the unwary, and is one of the harshest economic systems that ever existed.

CCPs other dirty little secret is that they put a $ cost on their ingame currency and allowed transfers. Whales are buying themselves alliances and corporations all the time, and get ripped off by other players, forgetting that you can't buy loyalty and weird checks and balances exist for reasons.

CCP change the the dynamics of the economy but not the fundamentals. The whole Jita thing is a detail of how the players have reacted to the mechanics of the economy. The mechanics are fundamentally fine, where they break it is in things like balance issues, making certain ships better than other causing a peak demand in a specific factions materials.

The brutal and unforgiving economy of Eve makes economic warfare possible, and fights over territory have real effects. Star Citizen can only dream of that level of fidelity.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Calling it now, we haven't heard the last of the Swedish Mafia :toot:
from that series of crazy emails from the long long ago, it's now the volga btw

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Does that catte have thumbse?
Looks like a polydactyl cat, like the ones that roam around Ernest Hemingway's house. :3:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Truga posted:

it wasn't ever even meant to be a pvp slider but an interaction slider. you set it to co-op, and you get grouped by other people who want to shoot at npcs, you set it to death and get shot by other players.

when i asked what happens if i set it to coop and then shoot players, i never got an answer tho :v:

In handwavium that's sort of what it meant. How would you ever arrange any such thing in a monolithic universe? Do aggressive people not see you? Do they see you less? Do they have a percentage chance of being able to interact with you based on where you've set the slider?

It's one of those crobbler ideas that becomes more and more baffling the more you think about it.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

What I miss?

CIG can't figure out how to fix ships and persistence so the easy fix is to have stolen ships despawn after an hour, and reddit is angry they won't be able live out their fantasies of piracy and heists and Grand Theft Spaceship :sureboat:

edit

TheAgent posted:

from that series of crazy emails from the long long ago, it's now the volga btw

:suspense:

Lack of Gravitas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 29, 2018

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

TheAgent posted:

imagine four studios on the edge of a lawsuit

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lack of Gravitas posted:

CIG can't figure out how to fix ships and persistence so the easy fix is to have stolen ships despawn after an hour, and reddit is angry they won't be able live out their fantasies of piracy and heists and Grand Theft Spaceship :sureboat:

It's almost as if there is no "persistence" in the game. :grin:

----------------

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy
I love that the last bit that was going to make star citizen worth considering over elite dangerous if it was ever made has just been cancelled, btw.

Now star citizen, even if it ever releases in playable form, is as bad as elite in all the same ways (anything you do has no impact on other players).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

We're through the looking glass here, people.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

D_Smart posted:

It's almost as if there is no "persistence" in the game. :grin:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lack of Gravitas posted:

CIG can't figure out how to fix ships and persistence so the easy fix is to have stolen ships despawn after an hour, and reddit is angry they won't be able live out their fantasies of piracy and heists and Grand Theft Spaceship

Everyone tends to move towards anarchism/libertarianism as an overriding system to balance the concept of an actual 'government' that handles criminal punishment. Providing the agency for a single person to lift an unlimited amount of assets (with real world value)...

We're rapidly heading into the sandbox/themepark conversation again. I think the Eve economical model is up for discussion because that fucker has evolved a lot, but the crime and punishment system actually bears some discussion in terms of the difference between being 'safe' (your death will be avenged, if not prevented) and 'unsafe' (death is certain).

Of course, none of this actually matters, because the flight model is loving terrible.

Beet Wagon posted:

We're through the looking glass here, people.

Okay, they do know that small amplitude waves in a liquid don't scale linearly, and I suddenly realised who this is an I'm sorry for wasting your time right up to the end of this sentence.

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 29, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Whenever I hear "player driven economy", I always go, "Is it going to be like Eve's? Because that is truly player driven."

Usually the answer is no.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

The sickening truth triples every second

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

The sickening stupidness triples every second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU