Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Aramoro posted:

CCP change the the dynamics of the economy but not the fundamentals. The whole Jita thing is a detail of how the players have reacted to the mechanics of the economy. The mechanics are fundamentally fine, where they break it is in things like balance issues, making certain ships better than other causing a peak demand in a specific factions materials.

The brutal and unforgiving economy of Eve makes economic warfare possible, and fights over territory have real effects. Star Citizen can only dream of that level of fidelity.

The POS fuel/ice changes, and the repeat overhauls of PI interaction pissed of lots of people in my time. Not to forget the salvage super nerf, making most things sub t4 not worth the time.

But, you're right. End of the day, they've not hosed with what is a player driven economy, just changed some of the values and results.

e; catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

I'd think, if they really wanted to do it, you could have the CIG servers host generic hangar instances. Then, whoever's hangar it's supposed to be, the details could be blasted over to that instance from wherever the hangar details are stored.

That sounds like work, though. Really, what're you going to do, go look at somebody's fish tank and the junk in their display cases? I understand why they wouldn't be interested in bothering, but they did promise it.

Personally, I think this kind of environment/feature is really important in an open-world, persistent MMO. Having a "base" where you can go hang out in between missions, and admire your own accomplishments via in-game collectible items is really attractive imo.

So, I'll tell you what originally hooked me with the Star Citizen pitch. It may sound trite, but remember, I'm the type of gamer that has ~1000 hours in DayZ Standalone. It was this: Collecting relics. That's it. Flying around the galaxy searching for ancient relics and building a kind of museum. This is a Chris Roberts pitch btw, I didn't shitizen that one out of my overactive imagination. Of course, there has to be a ton of supporting gameplay that's fun to make the collecting process interesting, but that's the fundamental gameplay hook that got me.

IMO, most open world games fall apart at the "end game." The fun is gearing up. Once you get there though, the hook evaporates and you have to "make your own fun" which just isn't compelling design.

I'll demonstrate this by pitching my open-world game idea:
- Post-apocalypse
- Massively multiplayer
- 3d open-world environment
- FPS-style player character

Wake up in your survival wank shelter. It's been 3 years since <event> and you've finally run out of food and supplies. Now you have to strike out in a mostly deserted and destroyed post-apocalyptic North-American landscape. So basically The Road. There are no zombies, but there are roving bands of NPC survivors, most of them hostile. Also, there are other players. So early-game play is a lot like Neo-Scavenger. Loot for survival. Either stand and fight or run/hide.

At some point early on, you stumble upon an abandoned camp and find a radio, but it doesn't work. Ding new mission: get this radio working. This unlocks the crafting system, which will be very, arguably aspbergery, deep. There are scraps, materials, and parts everywhere in the world, and over time, you obtain crafting knowledge and can build better and more complex things from these basic elements. You can also find new more complex materials once you learn about them.

As an example, you can craft a basic lead-acid battery from these components (I'm leaving out details for the sake of brevity):
1. polymer --craft--> battery casing
2. lead --craft--> lead sheets
3. sulfuric acid
4. water
5. copper
6. heat source

As you collect or learn* more recipes, you can make a lithium-ion battery from:
1. polymer --craft--> battery casing
2. lithium metal
3. lithium oxide
4. copper

* there's an "ingenuity" system which lets you "invent" or "discover" new recipes over time the more you craft.

This solves the DayZ problem where there's hardly any loot in the world and most of it is useless. You're never going to find an AR-15 in an outhouse. You have to craft almost everything beyond the basics, and there are parts all over the place. So you get a slow-steady dopamine reward from constantly finding stuff you can potentially use, instead of big huge scores followed by hours and hours of nothing.

Now lets flash-forward. You're geared up, have good food and water source(s). What now? Go run to the beach and kill bambis? Well, remember that radio? Once you get it working, and find/craft a power source, you can tune in to a broadcast signal. The broadcast is a pre-recorded message from some group called "The Preservation Trust." Their mission is pretty simple: To preserve relics, knowledge, and heirlooms of our lost society. They give coordinates to their headquarters. Any "relic" items you find in the world can be turned in to the PT for rewards. So suddenly, places like libraries, government buildings, museums, fancy mansions, etc become "hotspots" where you can find relics. This will promote player interactions.

So you can decide which relics to "turn in" and which to keep as your own private collection. Where might you "keep" these relics? Well, your base.

To keep from copy/pasting my entire design document(s), you can build shelters and upgrade them over time. One key element here is no raiding. You claim land but your base is invisible and invulnerable. You can invite friendlies in, but nobody except you can interact with the base in any way. I love Rust, but I'll just end up making a clone if there's raiding. There's just no way around the very narrow gameplay loop that results. Again, I like that kind of game, but I'm not making that kind of game. It really pigeon-holes the entire player experience, with game-breaking, negative griefing/exploit impact if it's not near-perfect (See: Conan Exiles), and a very toxic experience even if it is (See: Rust).

I have tons of pages of design around this game and this isn't even the tip of the iceberg. But I typed all of this just to show how I personally go about "planning" games, based on being a part of game development and learning from my betters. To start, I write out the first principles. The gameplay hooks, the look, the feel, and most importantly the experience I want to deliver. Next, I just dump all my ideas down and have a look. I then begin grouping them into features, thinking about which ones will work, where the synergies are, which need to be changed, and which should be removed entirely. I talk with others about them, ask them to poke holes in it. All of these features are designed to shape the gameplay, and provide the most fun, engaging experience possible. I wouldn't have crafting unless there was a prevailing design reason for it. It must yield a gameplay experience that fits the game's governing dynamic. If a feature or set of ideas seem cool, but just aren't "coming together" in a way I can logically organize, succinctly explain, and fit into a cohesive experience, I delete them outright. If it's meant to be it'll come back around later.

The point is, I'm just some schmuck on the internet who worked in the biz ages ago, and now just farts around with games for fun. When I look at CIG, it's obvious they aren't doing this basic level of thought about what their game is, what the player is supposed to do, and what the experience is supposed to be. They haven't considered all the ways it will fall apart in the player's hands. It's a hodge-podge clusterfuck of space buzzwords hastily sprayed like cat urine from the mental excretory orifice of a sub-normal idiot straight into a bottomless thought-toilet, never to be seen again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MilesK posted:

I recently stole a couple of ping pong balls for my cat to play soccer with. Is there any way I can mocap this?

Best way I have found is watch it and remember it.
If you can, tape ping pong balls to yourself while doing it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Loxbourne posted:

But Eve doesn't have whales who purchased their doomships directly from the company itself. It has resources and so on, and the PLEX system, but nobody buys a Titan directly from CCP. If a player's ship is destroyed he cannot demand a refund of all the hours he spent grinding for the cash and resources to build it.

Titans are a very strange case, mainly because the infrastructure required to build on requires alliance level resources, making them something you either need to be connected to a production line to (ie military) or you can afford to pay cash for one (and have the pilot) (ie national). An _individual player_ is unlikely to ever have the resources to pay for one, unless it's cash -> plex, or the slightly more exotic route of T3 complex running up to a carrier, and not annoying anyone bigger than yourself.

You make an important distinction though. CCP itself isn't part of the commercial chain outside of money laundering and providing the sandbox. SC basically collects money up front and for everything you can achieve in game.

peter gabriel posted:

Best way I have found is watch it and remember it.
If you can, tape ping pong balls to yourself while doing it.

Or illuminate things with a bright white light and paint the balls silver, then threshold to bright white and use that as a rotoscope. Throw in some electrostatically charged balloons and I think we have a party.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 29, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toops posted:

Personally, I think this kind of environment/feature is really important in an open-world, persistent MMO. Having a "base" where you can go hang out in between missions, and admire your own accomplishments via in-game collectible items is really attractive imo.

In this scenario, the hangar is an actual location in the universe, which is a whole other thing on top of the current hangar implementation.

While it would be neat, I won't be holding my breath.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Hav posted:

Titans are a very strange case, mainly because the infrastructure required to build on requires alliance level resources, making them something you either need to be connected to a production line to (ie military) or you can afford to pay cash for one (and have the pilot) (ie national). An _individual player_ is unlikely to ever have the resources to pay for one, unless it's cash -> plex, or the slightly more exotic route of T3 complex running up to a carrier, and not annoying anyone bigger than yourself.

You make an important distinction though. CCP itself isn't part of the commercial chain outside of money laundering and providing the sandbox. SC basically collects money up front and for everything you can achieve in game.

This doesn't really hold true anymore. Super costs have plummeted to such an extreme, that affording one is almost trivial. I've laughed at how steeply the prices have fallen from carriers all the way up to titans.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Someone tell the idiots they're mocapping air currents by releasing ping pong balls attached to the strings of party balloons.

This has to be the largest collection of simpletons ever.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

RubberJohnny posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14927-Welcome-To-ArcCorp-Star-Citizen-12-Released

More amusingly, they mentioned Subsumption would replace the earlier ship-based Kythera AI, and Brian Chambers mentioned work on this as having begun in the [F42 update in May 2017](https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6ditot/kythera_and_subsumption/) but as of the most recent production schedule, only 1/3rd of tasks relating to this changeover are complete, with the switchover finishing by March 2018.

So for the last eight months they've managed 1/3rd of the work, but will complete the other 2/3rds in 2 months. That's proper CR scheduling there.

Another damning observation showing that they've been lying about the progress of features, and the 2018 roadmap is more lies.

Network Bind Culling was in their schedule in June 2017 and I've a quote from Chris Roberts saying it was in production in 2016. All in my post history.

But it's in the 2018 roadmap as 1/10 tasks done and to be completed by the end of March. So they completed 1/10 tasks since 2016 but the other 9/10s will be completed in 2 months.

And now we can see they've lied about the subsumption progress too.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

In this scenario, the hangar is an actual location in the universe, which is a whole other thing on top of the current hangar implementation.

While it would be neat, I won't be holding my breath.

Imagine that though. Imagine telling backers definitively that your hangar will never exist in the persistent universe.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

It's all pure arrogance and hubris. Those have been the guiding principles of this poo poo-show for as long as anyone can recall. And as been proven time and time again, it's going to continue being their undoing.

After the judge rolls up the MtD and shoves it up Ortwin's rear end without lube, they have to setup a schedule for discovery, depositions etc. During that time, they can still be talking settlement, though as I've written, I don't expect that to be on any friendly terms, given the very public arrogance, hostility, and unprofessional conduct exhibited by the Ortwin-led CIG onslaught.

But attorneys who are in the middle, even with problematic clients, tend to have calmer heads during settlement negotiations because nobody wants to go to trial. And regardless of what Ortwin writes, I have to believe that FKKS should have already seen some the writing on the wall by now that their client stands absolutely no chance of prevailing on any of the accusations. Also, once the MtD fails spectacularly, that's when FKKS is going to have a "Come To Jesus" discussion with their clients, briefing them about the loving minefield they're about to step into, asking them if there is anything they need to know beforehand etc. Since clients lie to their attorneys all the time, it stands to reason that Ortwin will lie to their attorneys, concealing the more egregious things likely to expose them. Then it shows up in discovery, and all hell breaks loose.

The biggest problem they have, and which Ortwin has to know by now, is that this lawsuit has immense scope and there is no way they are going to be able to stifle things from depositions or discovery, without running afoul of the court. I'm sure we're going to be seeing lots of filings from CIG disputing certain discovery requests, all of which will ultimately fail. Why? Because, right from the onset, by going after Ortwin's conflict, Skadden set the "reputation + pattern of conduct trap" for Ortwin, ensnared him in it with deadly precision, and set the stage for credibility & reputation to get a front row seat in the proceedings. They're going to want to establish a pattern of conduct that shows that CIG behaved dishonestly etc. And THAT is how things like their personal lives, expenditures, Ortwin's involvement etc are all going to be open season for discovery. If they were dishonest enough to breach the terms of the GLA, discovery is going to be the path to establishing that pattern of conduct which is what is going play before the judge and the jury (if it goes to trial).

They have to settle. There is no other way out of this for them. But given the amount of money involved, even with whatever the liability insurance ends up agreeing to pay - if anything - they're going to find a way to raise that money because my guess is that Crytek isn't going to risk any long term promises, knowing that CIG is run by a pack of lying, thieving, scumbag scam artists.

Anyway, none of this matters because this pales in comparison to what's currently developing behind the scenes and which I am certain is the actual final nail in the coffin, regardless of how this distracting lawsuit plays out.

And I still maintain that people are either going to jail, or taking plea deals, over this fiasco.

please release the amd letter, that is all I humbly ask - to the public - in its glory. soon not 2 weeks soon. If you ever gets your hands on it.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

I thought it was odd that he got his own Org name wrong... seeing as he founded it...

...but then again, who remembers the specifics of things that happened so long ago?

SO

MUCH

DREAM

CRAFTING

CIG, in 2018: "Yeah, no."

So not only will there be no ship stealing, but now that's pretty much the end of any real salvaging that their big shiny Reclaimer chariot can do either. Imagine being that retard that thought it was a good idea to buy THAT digital turd now. BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAA!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

DapperDon posted:

So not only will there be no ship stealing, but now that's pretty much the end of any real salvaging that their big shiny Reclaimer chariot can do either. Imagine being that retard that thought it was a good idea to buy THAT digital turd now. BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAA!

I'm glad that logging out in space is a viable defense again. I was worried for a bit there.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Toops posted:

Imagine that though. Imagine telling backers definitively that your hangar will never exist in the persistent universe.

Isnt that like kinda a founding premise? like the pirates too? holy motherfucking poo poo in a bucket.

Like wasnt that the point of a lot of this poo poo to have and collect all the ships etc? and to show em off?

edit:

How are people going to see my giant epeen without my hangar and my ships! I am destroyed now! Arrrg.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 29, 2018

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

I made literally all of that up. The image is from an article about why you should cover your sous vide setup with ping pong balls.

loving lol at this

Amazing

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

SomethingJones posted:

Another damning observation showing that they've been lying about the progress of features, and the 2018 roadmap is more lies.

Network Bind Culling was in their schedule in June 2017 and I've a quote from Chris Roberts saying it was in production in 2016. All in my post history.

But it's in the 2018 roadmap as 1/10 tasks done and to be completed by the end of March. So they completed 1/10 tasks since 2016 but the other 9/10s will be completed in 2 months.

And now we can see they've lied about the subsumption progress too.

lol there's no subsumption. There's a couple of dumb animation triggers that are just intelligent enough to make an NPC walk forever into a loving bench.

Chris was sperging about how they licensed Kytherea (lol kytheria.io 's website still has a Star Citizen section from like 2015), but they've never used it beyond maybe a bullshot mockup of NPC's in a test level walking past each other, all devised to sell more ships. That poo poo is nowhere to be seen.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

kw0134 posted:

Annoying effort legal post incoming!

The motion will get denied, as it is being filed under FRCP 12(b)6. This particular rule in the charming Federal Rules of Civil Procedure handbook states that a motion can be filed in defense "for failure to state a claim for which relief can be granted." This denial is indisputable and inarguable because the standard for a dismissal under FRCP rule 12(b)6 is "In appraising the sufficiency of a complaint for failure to state a claim is that a complaint should not be dismissed ...unless it appears beyond doubt that the plaintiff can prove no set of facts in support of his claim which would entitle him to relief." Conley v. Gibson (1957), 355 U.S. 41 (emphasis added). That's a SCOTUS ruling; this binds all the courts in the Federal system, including our little district court.

That is to say, the standard is to weed out the cases that are either totally incompatible with the legal system -- alleging a witch put an evil eye on a child, say. Or asking for declaratory ruling that you're the God King of Arrakis. As the rule says, there's no "relief" available to such a claim in the law or equity; we do not recognize the outcome or we do not recognize that this is a "thing" for which you can sue someone over. Really technical analysis of the claims can be very hair-splitting if the elements of the law that support the claim are complex. But if you read that tiny excerpt from the ruling (which is part of every 1L's CivPro syllabus) then there's no objective way to grant the motion, because Crytek's claims are pretty straightforward: there exists a contract, CIG broke it, Crytek was harmed, give us money.

See, whether or not we get to the actual merits of the claims in the response, CIG has already severely hosed up by trying to substitute Crytek's facts with their own. "Unless it appears beyond doubt that the plaintiff can prove no set of facts in support of his claim." CIG does NOT get to do that. You do NOT get to say "well if my version of the facts are right, then you must dismiss!" NO! That's what 1L students gently caress up and civpro professors have to hammer that in to their thick skulls. You dismiss if you look at it under every possible angle and can't find a way to proceed. The standard is so high that it's almost never granted when a cause of action is brought by an actual trained lawyer since it's for obvious losers and they should be getting laughed out of the attorney's office, nevermind at the stage that you're reading your rubbish case in front of a judge.

I looked at the table of contents on the response, saw that CIG was trying to argue on the merits and closed the PDF. If you have to argue the very facts of the case, guess what dumbass? You've got an actual "case or controversy" ripe for judicial intervention! You've proven to the court that procedurally it should hear both sides because the one side where Crytek's facts prevail, CIG is hosed. On the one hand if the response is true, CIG is not hosed. And the only way to do that...is to go through the entire process of holding a trial and evaluating evidence! Congratulations CIG, you forgot basic CivPro. I'm hope you're happy.

(I am because this is hilarious to me)

Decent post, many props to you

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

One of the things that really good open world games do is give players a feeling of "ownership" of certain places, in my opinion. The level of actual player control can be negligible (WoW players can't change the way Orgrimmar is laid out, for example) but there has to be a reason to go there. When WoW did their "garrisons" thing one of the biggest complaints was that in your little base you were cut off from the rest of the world and it was essentially like playing a single player game.

Not only is "having friends come visit my hangar" critical for immersion but if they can't get it working in a limited way it has dire implications for the whole base-building aspect of the game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

intardnation posted:

please release the amd letter, that is all I humbly ask - to the public - in its glory. soon not 2 weeks soon. If you ever gets your hands on it.

I have it here:

"Dear CIG
After years of making graphics cards that run hot, have wonky crossfire support, have completely random success rates with Eyefinity and drivers so bad they trash people's PCs we have concluded that somehow we are now only the second most clown shoe wearing, mouth breathing company involved in games.
Thank you"

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Wait is there an actual lawsuit happening right now? And CGI is going all clownshoes with it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Did I miss something that happened on the 26th?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hobold posted:

This doesn't really hold true anymore. Super costs have plummeted to such an extreme, that affording one is almost trivial. I've laughed at how steeply the prices have fallen from carriers all the way up to titans.

Well, the problem there was that officer-fits weren't being culled at the same rate as they were being produced. I did wonder when I start seeing fleets consisting of 200 hundred swinging dicks. Eve's other problem is that there's literally no way to finesse the overwhelming force, but that's where it gets brutally real.

What's the base cost of a Nyx these days?

Asking for a friend, I won Eve years ago and have no intention of losing again.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Wait is there an actual lawsuit happening right now? And CGI is going all clownshoes with it?

Crytek is suing CiG for pinkie swearing to use their stuff and contribute anything back to crytek, then reneging on the promise, building two games, using their copyright and being all round bad eggs despite Crytek asking nicely. CiG said 'nu huh, we obviously meant two games when we originally signed a document for one game and we don't use their stuff anymore'. Crytek are pressing for a Jury trial, and Goons are stockpiling lube for the rub-fest to follow the start of discovery.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 29, 2018

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

Cliffords welfare cheque cleared

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

peter gabriel posted:

I have it here:

"Dear CIG
After years of making graphics cards that run hot, have wonky crossfire support, have completely random success rates with Eyefinity and drivers so bad they trash people's PCs we have concluded that somehow we are now only the second most clown shoe wearing, mouth breathing company involved in games.
Thank you"

that sounds like nvidia actually. but to be fair the triple support is fantastic. but gently caress do they melt gpus with drivers.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beet Wagon posted:

from /r/pcgaming's sidebar. lol.

drat that’s brutal. And on a subreddit still far more biased for than against the game still...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
bring back Matrox

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Toops posted:

I have tons of pages of design around this game and this isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

You could skip the game part and just do most of that in real life.

Once you're at the point where you're building batteries out of polymer, making lead sheets, adding sulfuric acid, using it in a radio that you have to cobble together and manually tune frequencies, and building shelter by hand, you might as well just do it in the real world.

The no raiding, your base is invisible and invulnerable, is the only part you can't have in reality. Is it security that you're actually seeking in your dreams?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Crytek built a sizzle reel and basic demo to show that their engine was suited to the task, as part of their normal pre-sale. This is what engine people do all the time.

Chris took that stuff on stage and waved his hands around and kickstarted the funding with it.

This is all documented and that documentation is likely to become a part of space court - as it shows Crytek's involvement in getting the production off the ground.

Derek talked about this in the open house stream and snippets of the documents were shown, but these loving morons were too busy talking poo poo about Derek in the chat that they missed all of it.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Hav posted:

Well, the problem there was that officer-fits weren't being culled at the same rate as they were being produced. I did wonder when I start seeing fleets consisting of 200 hundred swinging dicks. Eve's other problem is that there's literally no way to finesse the overwhelming force, but that's where it gets brutally real.

What's the base cost of a Nyx these days?

Asking for a friend, I won Eve years ago and have no intention of losing again.

I won eve myself a couple years back after the fall of Dek. Buddy is getting back into it, poor bastard.

Go look at the recent blueball "fight" that happened over a keepstar. Insane numbers of titans sitting on the station with nothing to do.

Titans down into the 50-60b isk range.

Supercarriers are 15-20b isk.

Dreads and Carriers are 1-3b isk.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

D_Smart posted:

It's all pure arrogance and hubris. Those have been the guiding principles of this poo poo-show for as long as anyone can recall. And as been proven time and time again, it's going to continue being their undoing.

After the judge rolls up the MtD and shoves it up Ortwin's rear end without lube, they have to setup a schedule for discovery, depositions etc. During that time, they can still be talking settlement, though as I've written, I don't expect that to be on any friendly terms, given the very public arrogance, hostility, and unprofessional conduct exhibited by the Ortwin-led CIG onslaught.

But attorneys who are in the middle, even with problematic clients, tend to have calmer heads during settlement negotiations because nobody wants to go to trial. And regardless of what Ortwin writes, I have to believe that FKKS should have already seen some the writing on the wall by now that their client stands absolutely no chance of prevailing on any of the accusations. Also, once the MtD fails spectacularly, that's when FKKS is going to have a "Come To Jesus" discussion with their clients, briefing them about the loving minefield they're about to step into, asking them if there is anything they need to know beforehand etc. Since clients lie to their attorneys all the time, it stands to reason that Ortwin will lie to their attorneys, concealing the more egregious things likely to expose them. Then it shows up in discovery, and all hell breaks loose.

The biggest problem they have, and which Ortwin has to know by now, is that this lawsuit has immense scope and there is no way they are going to be able to stifle things from depositions or discovery, without running afoul of the court. I'm sure we're going to be seeing lots of filings from CIG disputing certain discovery requests, all of which will ultimately fail. Why? Because, right from the onset, by going after Ortwin's conflict, Skadden set the "reputation + pattern of conduct trap" for Ortwin, ensnared him in it with deadly precision, and set the stage for credibility & reputation to get a front row seat in the proceedings. They're going to want to establish a pattern of conduct that shows that CIG behaved dishonestly etc. And THAT is how things like their personal lives, expenditures, Ortwin's involvement etc are all going to be open season for discovery. If they were dishonest enough to breach the terms of the GLA, discovery is going to be the path to establishing that pattern of conduct which is what is going play before the judge and the jury (if it goes to trial).

They have to settle. There is no other way out of this for them. But given the amount of money involved, even with whatever the liability insurance ends up agreeing to pay - if anything - they're going to find a way to raise that money because my guess is that Crytek isn't going to risk any long term promises, knowing that CIG is run by a pack of lying, thieving, scumbag scam artists.

Anyway, none of this matters because this pales in comparison to what's currently developing behind the scenes and which I am certain is the actual final nail in the coffin, regardless of how this distracting lawsuit plays out.

And I still maintain that people are either going to jail, or taking plea deals, over this fiasco.

even if they settle will there most likely be a crytek employee there for compliance reasons? if so how will that chafe Christophers rear end?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Toops posted:

I'm just seeing a landscape with 500,000-1,000,000 non-descript warehouses all sat next to each other. Come visit my hangar, section J, division R, row Z, number 1265.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:gary:

WTFOsaurus isn't happy about the despawning ship changes:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223387934?t=28m49s

Random rants for a good 15 minutes. His org's planned playstyle has been wrecked entirely

Will discuss it more in the RedActed podcast

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Truga posted:

it wasn't ever even meant to be a pvp slider but an interaction slider. you set it to co-op, and you get grouped by other people who want to shoot at npcs, you set it to death and get shot by other players.

when i asked what happens if i set it to coop and then shoot players, i never got an answer tho :v:

Dreams

That's when the dreams happen

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

bring back Matrox

That was definitely an interesting time for graphic card stuff.

Sad to say I had a Matrox Mystique. :negative:
(Actually did somewhat of an ok job. The PowerVR chip did have potential)

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Toops posted:

lol there's no subsumption. There's a couple of dumb animation triggers that are just intelligent enough to make an NPC walk forever into a loving bench.

Chris was sperging about how they licensed Kytherea (lol kytheria.io 's website still has a Star Citizen section from like 2015), but they've never used it beyond maybe a bullshot mockup of NPC's in a test level walking past each other, all devised to sell more ships. That poo poo is nowhere to be seen.

There seems to be a long history of them not getting AI working and I read speculation somewhere that it's another thing broken by the odd scaling problems in their broken engine.

There was a dev working on subsumption (supposedly) a few months ago, I did a transcript. The dev previously working on it doesn't work there anymore.

Just like docking - the guy working on that quit in 2016, Chris names him in a 10FTC and he left a few months later.

You can see a pattern emerge

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Whoa blast from the past.

Thanks for bringing back those long gone memories. I remember this also being a hit in Germany.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

You could skip the game part and just do most of that in real life.

Once you're at the point where you're building batteries out of polymer, making lead sheets, adding sulfuric acid, using it in a radio that you have to cobble together and manually tune frequencies, and building shelter by hand, you might as well just do it in the real world.

Respectfully disagree. I know that depth of gameplay isn't for everyone, but I find it compelling and fun, and there's a segment of gamers who enjoy that kind of minutiae. I played an early access game called Rokh, a Mars survival game. The crafting system is extremely deep, down to smelting, combining chemical elements to produce materials, then building solar panels out of them, different metals with different melting points, conductivities, tools with different hardness/density, etc. I loved it, spent hours crafting and experimenting.

XK posted:

The no raiding, your base is invisible and invulnerable, is the only part you can't have in reality. Is it security that you're actually seeking in your dreams?

It's important to understand the impact of a game system on the overall gameplay. Base building is a huge time expenditure. If your base can be raided, the entire game will inevitably focus around securing your base and dealing with raiding. I don't want that in my game, that's not the experience I'm trying to build.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

One of the things that really good open world games do is give players a feeling of "ownership" of certain places, in my opinion. The level of actual player control can be negligible (WoW players can't change the way Orgrimmar is laid out, for example) but there has to be a reason to go there. When WoW did their "garrisons" thing one of the biggest complaints was that in your little base you were cut off from the rest of the world and it was essentially like playing a single player game.

Not only is "having friends come visit my hangar" critical for immersion but if they can't get it working in a limited way it has dire implications for the whole base-building aspect of the game.

Ok everyone better get down to the ground floor my mom's calling me so I have to log out and I don't want to kill you all when the base vanishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The moment on Saturday when WTFOsaurus found out about the piracy change:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223042709?t=01h39m40s

Nice meltdown

:yarg: