Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The thing that sucks is if a four man crew is solid they can gently caress up any two player ship with ease

Like, if they decide to go after you, your more nimble ship will mean nothing

My gf and I were trying to be pve scrublords and we couldn't get any chests to an outpost for over an hour because we were constantly chased

I know that's part of the game but they should probably add a "I'm a scrub" option at the beginning so FPS bads can at least grab some treasure sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If there's even a tiny bit of realism in the game, sloops should be much faster against the wind and galleons with it, so you can always run away with either.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
So my first 10 minutes in the game was met by someone blasting my solo-ship with cannon as I was still trying to figure out the controls/interface.

He eventually jumped off his ship, boarded mine. I did the opposite and jumped onto his, pulled up the anchor and set his sails, then jumped over board and watched his ship sail out into the ocean.

How far will his boat go? Or is there a way for him to get back to it..

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Truga posted:

If there's even a tiny bit of realism in the game, sloops should be much faster against the wind and galleons with it, so you can always run away with either.

I mean I'm pretty sure a galleon in game is faster then a sloop in all situations assuming more then two guys are trying to pilot the thing or somehow there's a lot of sharp turns involved. A severe lack of coordination among the crew is usually the only thing one/two guys on a sloop can hope for against a galleon.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

The thing that sucks is if a four man crew is solid they can gently caress up any two player ship with ease

My gf and I were trying to be pve scrublords and we couldn't get any chests to an outpost for over an hour because we were constantly chased

I know that's part of the game but they should probably add a "I'm a scrub" option at the beginning so FPS bads can at least grab some treasure sometimes

the 2 man ship can actually gently caress up the 4 man ones pretty handily you are faster with a much better turn radius if your on your poo poo with the sails you should be able to stay out of their firing arcs.

You basically want to avoid any boarding actions and keep putting your cannon shots below the waterline.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Zasze posted:

the 2 man ship can actually gently caress up the 4 man ones pretty handily you are faster with a much better turn radius if your on your poo poo with the sails you should be able to stay out of their firing arcs.

You basically want to avoid any boarding actions and keep putting your cannon shots below the waterline.
Counterpoint, if you can get aboard and drop the anchor you'll buy yourself a ton of time, it takes forever to get that thing back up on a galleon

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah people are out there fighting pretty hard to grief each other even, I'm not complaining. Game fun, so what?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

It's nearly impossible to sink from cannon fire while you have boards if you have someone repairing and bilging so just run and use your maneuverability to outrun the galleon. With two people, just have the person on the wheel manage the sails as well, and you should be fine. Right now there's no way to actually force an engagement besides letting them get close enough to board/super swim over to your ship and drop your anchor.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 29, 2018

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

This is how it works, Galleon is faster with wind, Sloop is faster against it. Sloop can turn much faster.

Realistically if you're in a sloop right now and you're not morons it's easy to run away from galleons. However, as the other dude said it doesn't stop them from doggedly chasing you, which means you can't actually play the game.

Honestly I think a little while after the game is out they will either introduce a way to slow down enemy ships, meaning if you gently caress up in the sloop you get sunk, or people will realise chasing sloops in galleons is pointless.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Chain shot for killing sails, stern chasers on both ships. :v:

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

The harpoon guns are ship mounted from the screenshot I saw somewhere.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Kitchner posted:

This is how it works, Galleon is faster with wind, Sloop is faster against it. Sloop can turn much faster.

Realistically if you're in a sloop right now and you're not morons it's easy to run away from galleons. However, as the other dude said it doesn't stop them from doggedly chasing you, which means you can't actually play the game.

Honestly I think a little while after the game is out they will either introduce a way to slow down enemy ships, meaning if you gently caress up in the sloop you get sunk, or people will realise chasing sloops in galleons is pointless.

Explosive barrels double as mines currently :getin:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Communist Q posted:

The harpoon guns are ship mounted from the screenshot I saw somewhere.

Someone data mined the beta and it referenced harpoon guns, so I'm hoping it's a way for ships to actually grab other ships if they get close. In theory a galleon can't catch up with another galleon being sailed by an equally skilled crew, and as long as a sloop has the right conditions it can't be caught either.

So really if you ever get to a point like. My crew did last night where you not only catch up to a galleon, but have great positioning to rake it with cannon fire, it should have a better impact than what happened, which is they carried on sailing as if it were no thang.

The only time we successfully hosed with them is by boarding them by ramming into the side of the ship. Yet people complain online that boarding isn't good enough when really it's the only really good way to sink a ship when combined with like one guy on a cannon.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i feel like the art direction will allow for a large quantity of additions over time. it'd be cool if they had Powerstone level unlockables even if they're cosmetic or whatever

also just a huge assortment of random loose treasure that's specific to landmarks that you can put on your ship like a trophy or steal from another ship and in the end really serves no other purpose than to make you and your crew look like Barbossa in the last PotC movie

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I don't really get the point of skeletons as they are right now, they die in one hit from the pistol and two or three of them can be trivially stunlocked to death with the cutlass, which might be okay if they ever spawned enough of them at once to put you in danger of being overwhelmed but two or three is generally all you get on island unless you make a point of hanging around. Their only purpose is to be a five second annoyance before you get back to hunting down cave paintings of lizards or trying to gauge exactly where the X is in relation to that tree or whatever.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Caidin posted:

I don't really get the point of skeletons as they are right now, they die in one hit from the pistol and two or three of them can be trivially stunlocked to death with the cutlass, which might be okay if they ever spawned enough of them at once to put you in danger of being overwhelmed but two or three is generally all you get on island unless you make a point of hanging around. Their only purpose is to be a five second annoyance before you get back to hunting down cave paintings of lizards or trying to gauge exactly where the X is in relation to that tree or whatever.

The forts have ones that use guns and can eat bananas to heal they also are actually kinda threatening but only spawn as a single unit usually in the entirety of the fort. My hope is the mechanics are there and can be tuned to be fun.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Everything about the skeletons screams "filler", something they put in because there had to be something on the islands. The whole PvE looks like a early alpha game, not something that's supposedly two months from release. Again, this is assuming they haven't simply disabled all the interesting content in the closed beta, and it'll be in place at release / open beta.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008
It would be nice if there was some curvature to the world so crews manning the mast would spot ships earlier. Or maybe the fog range would be extended. Since i don't have the game I'm not sure if that is already the case.

Rotacixe fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 30, 2018

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Someone data mined the beta and it referenced harpoon guns, so I'm hoping it's a way for ships to actually grab other ships if they get close. In theory a galleon can't catch up with another galleon being sailed by an equally skilled crew, and as long as a sloop has the right conditions it can't be caught either.

So really if you ever get to a point like. My crew did last night where you not only catch up to a galleon, but have great positioning to rake it with cannon fire, it should have a better impact than what happened, which is they carried on sailing as if it were no thang.

The only time we successfully hosed with them is by boarding them by ramming into the side of the ship. Yet people complain online that boarding isn't good enough when really it's the only really good way to sink a ship when combined with like one guy on a cannon.

Yeah man, I remember that, Soon as we loaded in we got thrown onto a pubbie ship thats midfight with another gallion. poo poo was intense

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Double Bill posted:

Everything about the skeletons screams "filler", something they put in because there had to be something on the islands. The whole PvE looks like a early alpha game, not something that's supposedly two months from release. Again, this is assuming they haven't simply disabled all the interesting content in the closed beta, and it'll be in place at release / open beta.

it is already known they disabled stuff for the beta, this is just a stress test for the servers to see how the net code holds up with multiple players in combat pretty much.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

TwatHammer posted:

Yeah man, I remember that, Soon as we loaded in we got thrown onto a pubbie ship thats midfight with another gallion. poo poo was intense

:pirate: :rock:

As for skeletons I don't think the standard ones are supposed to be a deadly threat, I think they are supposed to add an easily overcome combat challenge, like in the movie when the Palace guards storm the room about 10 minutes into the film and all get killed.

The skeleton bounties in the alpha were a bit tougher, but not massively so.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I wonder how big the waves can get. I hope there are some areas where your boat will get tossed about like a ping-pong ball. I wanna see 40 foot waves.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Tumble posted:

I wonder how big the waves can get. I hope there are some areas where your boat will get tossed about like a ping-pong ball. I wanna see 40 foot waves.
Same. I know they can get big enough to capsize you in storms

I want to sail around the inside of a giant maelstrom like in The Little Mermaid

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want ghost pirates that hang out in storms and you can go in and have sick rear end battles with them for their cosmetic ghost loot, and also I want the sails to start shredding and maybe lightning to able to strike the mast and light it on fire.

Storms are badass and I want to do intense things in them.

Also I want to be able to get spooky ship lights that glow green.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Caidin posted:

I want ghost pirates that hang out in storms and you can go in and have sick rear end battles with them for their cosmetic ghost loot, and also I want the sails to start shredding and maybe lightning to able to strike the mast and light it on fire.

Also I want to be able to get spooky ship lights that glow green.

A way to debuff sails that can be repaired with a cloth item would be cool, anything to move crew members out of the holds to put more water pressure on the ship if you want to keep up speed/escape/maneuver.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Kitchner posted:

Ramming and boarding is pretty much the only way to actually sink a ship at the moment. Cannon shots are so easily repaired considering hitting anywhere below the lower deck of a galleon results in very little water spilling in. The game has some serious balance issues atm.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Caidin posted:

that would own and storms/pvp damage should be as unforgiving as possible imo because the sea is horrifying unless you're properly intoxicated

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Communist Q posted:

Ramming and boarding is pretty much the only way to actually sink a ship at the moment. Cannon shots are so easily repaired considering hitting anywhere below the lower deck of a galleon results in very little water spilling in. The game has some serious balance issues atm.

Agreed but I'm also not massively worried because its easy enough to tweak. You could increase the speed at which you can on water, and I think that would make a huge difference.

But yeah, a combination of cannons and boarding is the only way to reliably sink a ship, and I'm fine with it being the best way to sink a ship, but just not the only viable way.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Someone pulled a worlds adrift ship stealing on me last night.

Pulled up anchor, set full sails, set ship to drive off the edge of the map.

Good times. My one regret is that I never got to do that to anyone else.

Did sink a bunch of people via ramming though.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think a big reason people struggle to sink ships with cannons is because it actually matters where your shot lands. Anything above the water line and the hole will only splash in a little water when a wave laps at the side of the ship. You gotta aim below the waterline and if you and your crew are consistent you can overwhelm another ship since not only do canon shots open new holes they also open near by holes that have been patched over that can quickly cause a flooding cascade

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My galleon got absolutely trashed by a tryhard sloop 2 man rapid firing. Cannons are legit.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Most of my wood planks go towards fixing the bottom of the hull when I drop the anchor too late on every island

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

xanif posted:

Someone pulled a worlds adrift ship stealing on me last night.

Pulled up anchor, set full sails, set ship to drive off the edge of the map.

Good times. My one regret is that I never got to do that to anyone else.

Did sink a bunch of people via ramming though.

I was doing this to a few people/ships last night.

Do you just get the merman with the flare to get back to your ship? Or are you stuck?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

diapermeat posted:

Do you just get the merman with the flare to get back to your ship? Or are you stuck?

Off map you get merman. I learned this while learning how to drive ship.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

diapermeat posted:

Yea. Merman. I thought we got sunk because I got back to the coast where I left the ship and had a "Dude, where's my galleon" moment.

Turns out, middle of fuckall nowhere is the answer.

Not even mad. Was hilarious.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

xanif posted:

Yea. Merman. I thought we got sunk because I got back to the coast where I left the ship and had a "Dude, where's my galleon" moment.

Turns out, middle of fuckall nowhere is the answer.

Not even mad. Was hilarious.

When I used the merman on with just being a 1 person ship, it spawned me about 10 islands away with a fresh ship.

I'm guessing it's different with a multi-crew ship.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

diapermeat posted:

When I used the merman on with just being a 1 person ship, it spawned me about 10 islands away with a fresh ship.

I'm guessing it's different with a multi-crew ship.

This means your ship was sunk. When your ship sinks it will respawn on a new island. The merman just teleports you to your ship wherever it may be. In this instance your ship was a new one waiting in dock after the sinking.

Merman is a consistent mechanic which appears whenever your ship is a certain distance away. If your crew try to maroon you on an island you can merman aboard.

Also, do people realise you can scuttle your own ship if someone from a different crew steals it? The option is a vote which needs a unanimous decision, located in the pause menu under my crew.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Are there going to be mer women in the game

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I thought the Mer taxi was really sketchy the first time one showed up while I was stuck on an island and took way too long to realize they were the ship recovery mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm the idiot moron that forgot everything was in GMT so I got online and logged in to get a "lol too late" message last night