Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

No one's going to jail for a video game you nutjob. FFS fully retire already.

B-b-but what about space court?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Not that I want to defend anything that MoMA says but if Curt Schilling can get away with it....

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Quavers posted:

Disco Lando getting wrecked on /r/games:

Feckin burn, Lando you hack of a con man

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Mr.Tophat posted:

What I miss?

You got certified, son.

Regrettable posted:

Good news, friend! You won't need to call that supervisor after all.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beet Wagon posted:

We're through the looking glass here, people.

Taintrunner posted:

Well that explains where the $150 million went, to building an ocean mocapping rig

Of course now they're out of money to put any fish or coral underneath it. PLEDGE NOW!
Is this a joke? It has to be a joke.

Why on earth would anyone ever want to do something so terminally stupid as mocap water movement for the purpose of simulating it? It's an inherently chaotic and self-disturbing dynamic and any recording must by necessity require a whole lot of adjustment to make it loop (and being a recording, it has to loop or it will just end). There are few better candidates for procedural generation — the tech they've been bleating about for ages now — much like how they did it in Uncharted 3.

…and they're going to use mocap for it? This is so retarded that someone has to be getting kickbacks for this immense waste of everyone's time and money.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Circumlocution
noun
the use of many words where fewer would do, especially in a deliberate attempt to be vague or evasive.
"his admission came after years of circumlocution"
"Chris Roberts"

Wikipedia "Circumlocution" posted:

Circumlocution (also called circumduction, circumvolution, periphrasis, kenning or ambage), is speech that circles around an idea with many words instead of stating it directly and simply. It is sometimes necessary in communication (for example, to avoid lexical gaps that would cause untranslatability), but it can also be undesirable (when an uncommon or easily misunderstood figure of speech is used). Roundabout speech is the use of many words to describe something that already has a common and concise term (for example, saying "a tool used for cutting things such as paper and hair" instead of "scissors"). Most dictionaries use circumlocution to define words. Circumlocution is often used by people with aphasia and people learning a new language, where simple terms can be paraphrased to aid learning or communication (for example, paraphrasing the word "grandfather" as "the father of one's father").

See also: Chris Roberts; hand waving

Wikipedia "Aphasia" posted:

Aphasia is an inability to comprehend and formulate language because of damage to specific brain regions. This damage is typically caused by a cerebral vascular accident (stroke), or head trauma, however these are not the only possible causes. To be diagnosed with aphasia, a person's speech or language must be significantly impaired in one (or several) of the four communication modalities following acquired brain injury or have significant decline over a short time period (progressive aphasia). The four communication modalities are auditory comprehension, verbal expression, reading and writing, and functional communication.

See also: Chris Roberts; cocaine

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Quavers posted:

Circumlocution
noun
the use of many words where fewer would do, especially in a deliberate attempt to be vague or evasive.
"his admission came after years of circumlocution"
"Chris Roberts"

hey thanks for this

I found the world to describe my boss

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nice melt/beltdown

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Tippis posted:

Is this a joke? It has to be a joke.

Why on earth would anyone ever want to do something so terminally stupid as mocap water movement for the purpose of simulating it? It's an inherently chaotic and self-disturbing dynamic and any recording must by necessity require a whole lot of adjustment to make it loop (and being a recording, it has to loop or it will just end). There are few better candidates for procedural generation — the tech they've been bleating about for ages now — much like how they did it in Uncharted 3.

…and they're going to use mocap for it? This is so retarded that someone has to be getting kickbacks for this immense waste of everyone's time and money.

Nice meltdown

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

Ok everyone better get down to the ground floor my mom's calling me so I have to log out and I don't want to kill you all when the base vanishes.

The irony here is that the map for "how to do this poo poo" has already been laid out by GTA V. If CIG literally just put some generic hangar buildings on whatever dumbass moon they have in game and Archered the way GTAV's building interiors work, boom - everyone has a hangar they can invite friends over to.

Of course for this to work they'd have to have a party system, instances, persistence, and like... a game to put it all in.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Brilliant!

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ManofManyAliases posted:

No one's going to play that video game you nutjob. FFS fully refund already.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ManofManyAliases posted:

Oh look moma shows up right when there’s SC controversy on the web and tries to derail the conversation by insulting Derek with his shrill, teenage squeaks.

Just like the rest of the people actively campaigning for Star Citizen, you’re either a mental retard, or you’re in on the scam.

Anyways, how was your weekend? Any luck figuring out what to do now that piracy is dead?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I like his take on the quantity of videos they put out.

People are complaining that actual information is hard to find because they are correctly realizing that CIG just shits ink in the water constantly to confuse the situation with thousands of hours of pointless speculation and rambling that gives the appearance of community engagement and the illusion of a huge amount of information.

Community Manager's response:

:smug: I'm sorry if you are having trouble keeping up with all of the information we put out. It's understandable and only human. I have no problem with it though. :smug:

Maybe don't double down on the quantity when your videos are thousands of hours of pointless bullshit that further a scam. The correct course of action to be the least lovely person possible (while still being employed in a scam) would be to focus on whatever actual information was given that is relevant to the current topic of discussion. Not publicly stroke your dick at the sheer size of the harddrive space your videos waste.

But this is the whole thing! I remember Lando going on stage at GDC and loving bragging about uploading a thousand goddamn Youtube videos. For a game that is nowhere closer to release than it was back in 2012. Who the gently caress is watching a thousand goddamn Youtube videos, many of which are around an hour long if not more?! Great, you have hundreds of hours of public facing footage of how amazing your game is going to be. Nobody wants that at this point. They want either A) the loving space game with the space ships that go blamma-boom pew-pew-pew or they want B) the HBO miniseries about what a loving disaster this entire production was from the start, with Rob Riggle in the lead role or who the gently caress ever, and Henry Cavill reprising his role as that Superman guy in the mocap suit.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

You ever get a distant view on a water effect in a game, and the waves look like a grid of squares?

Learn about co-prime numbers you loving hack developers, then maybe your poo poo won't overlap in obvious repeating patterns.

Sorry, all this talk about mocapping water just gave me flashbacks of seeing checkerboards on oceans.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Who would play Crobbler in the HBO MS? Danny Devito?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

http://i.imgur.com/mmW3CM8.gifv

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
At this point MoMA is like peas or something loving up my meal.
Go away peas I never even ordered you.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Taintrunner posted:

Who the gently caress is watching a thousand goddamn Youtube videos, many of which are around an hour long if not more?!

Some poor, poor Skadden intern.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CIG is spending thousands of dollars mocapping the ocean, but can't come up with a playable female model.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

The irony here is that the map for "how to do this poo poo" has already been laid out by GTA V. If CIG literally just put some generic hangar buildings on whatever dumbass moon they have in game and Archered the way GTAV's building interiors work, boom - everyone has a hangar they can invite friends over to.

Of course for this to work they'd have to have a party system, instances, persistence, and like... a game to put it all in.

They already have all of that GTA poo poo in place with the hangar system and they were promising to deliver all of this poo poo back in 2014-15. They were supposed to be delivering all of this housing poo poo years upon years ago. But gently caress if anyone can figure out how to get from there into space I guess.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

You ever get a distant view on a water effect in a game, and the waves look like a grid of squares?

Learn about co-prime numbers you loving hack developers, then maybe your poo poo won't overlap in obvious repeating patterns.

Sorry, all this talk about mocapping water just gave me flashbacks of seeing checkerboards on oceans.

If there’s no Math.coprime(int x, int y) they’re gettin grids.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Young Freud posted:

CIG is spending thousands of dollars mocapping the ocean, but can't come up with a playable female model.

They should mocap Billy Ocean and that'd attract females of the female variety I think

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Taintrunner posted:

Who the gently caress is watching a thousand goddamn Youtube videos, many of which are around an hour long if not more?!

Here at SA we're supposed to be obsessive haters dedicated to bringing this all crashing down, yet many of CIGs videos go by with literally nobody here watching them. They're just that garbage.

There is an actual person, employed in an entry level position by Skadden, that has to watch every CIG video.

:negative:

Please give them hazard pay, Skadden. You don't even know the horror.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
If any goon wants to link me where they walked back piracy at the end of the hour long November video, I'll transcribe it on the condition that someone posts it as a reply to Lando in that thread on r/games

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

Are you stupid or gullible or both?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

XK posted:

Oh look. A 7 year old, last-gen console peasant game that makes water behave like water, rather than a repeated square pattern with obvious clipping lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVyEiDHvyHM&t=49s

I'd call CIG loving hacks except that “hack” used to mean something clever in software circles, and I don't want to offend the long-lost memory of that meaning.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:tif:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Toops posted:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Toops posted:

If there’s no Math.coprime(int x, int y) they’re gettin grids.

Oh, God, it drives me so nuts. Whenever I see it in water, grassy fields, deserts, sky, I just get so incredibly disappointed.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Quavers posted:

Another hidden gem from that Space Bro show.

Does this sound to anyone else like the VP of Marketing barely even uses (or knows how to use) Spectrum?

Strange, given how she prides herself in setting their very high standards for Concierge care, that her appearance would be so rare; rare enough that she didn’t even seem familiar with their own bespoke social tools.

Taken in context with Chris’s recent RTV appearance in which he talked about reading lots of recent user comments, it seems that a leadership tier once far too busy and too high above the day to day frays in their customer base are now monitoring them closely. How interesting.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Quavers posted:

The moment on Saturday when WTFOsaurus found out about the piracy change:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/223042709?t=01h39m40s

Nice meltdown

:yarg:

"That seems stupid", says the guy driving around at 19fps on a planet amazingly somehow more boring than Elite: Dangerous.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Wait are they actually trying to mocap ocean movement?? Thats not a parody post????

Also, if I'm understanding correctly part of the reason why Crytek is suing Cig is that the latter used stuff made my the former for their marketing campaign, which has resulted in many millions being made for CIG and Crytek not seeing a red cent? Yeah people don't get sent to jail over video games but they sure do over stealing people out of that much money...

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

"so much of the game was still being envisioned and optimized"

How are these two things happening at the same time?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol @ this ocean talk.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol @ this ocean talk.

CIG find math hard.
So mo-capping is easier.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Toops posted:

Carl Pilkington with a wig.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Quavers posted:

If only information could be made widely available in some sort of searchable form. You could even have some sort of repository for questions that are frequently asked. Alas, we have yet to invent such a thing so videos are really the best way at conveying and archiving information at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

It doesn't matter what a liar, con artist, and thief makes their ill-gotten gains with - a video game or real estate. Chris Roberts is a lying, incompetent, thieving rear end in a top hat and deserves far worse than prison. Doesn't matter what the backdrop of his crimes is.