Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Toops posted:

Who would play Crobbler in the HBO MS? Danny Devito?

Himself.
But he would think its reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I figure fleet values are going to shoot up to 4 times what anyone paid now that they are safe from theft.

Moma, did you get tipped off? Sadly WTF has paid $17k to be a pirate in the game and he seems a trifle upset.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

ManofManyAliases posted:

No one's going to jail for a video game

Quoting the poo poo out of this

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

SomethingJones posted:

Are you stupid or gullible or both?

All of the above.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

:smug:
Snip.
:negative::negative::negative:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 30, 2018

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

It's difficult to type "Christopher Roberts" without devolving into LOL, so I'd cut them a break.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 30, 2018

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

So you sued the wrong guy :allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey disco all you have to do is point people into the direction of the promises kept/broken website since it does a better job at tracking your changing narrative than you guys do

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

that is a terribly incorrect name. Please try again.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

SomethingJones posted:

If any goon wants to link me where they walked back piracy at the end of the hour long November video, I'll transcribe it on the condition that someone posts it as a reply to Lando in that thread on r/games

I think we're looking at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS27ZLZDhO8 , between the 51 - 53 minute mark. They start out talking about claiming insurance and duplicate spaceships, but then the bolded part comes up right at 52:

quote:

It [stolen Nox] will show as not available because it's not physically in your position, at your location. You can still claim insurance on it. You can always claim insurance on it. He has access to that ship, and next time he spawns that ship, he'll have that ship. He can't claim insurance on it, and if he parks it out somewhere else and then logs off, because he doesn't legally own it, next time he logs in he won't have it anymore. And he won't be able to spawn it EVER at an AESOP(?) terminal, because he doesn't legally own it.

In another minute or so Lando says, "I think that's of the most common questions, about the insurance system, the about duplication... whiny singsong voice "Oh no! My ship was stolen! This complete stranger here stole my ship and now there's two of them!" "

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Yes I would like to sue Chrislopher Roberts and his company Robert Space Industri over his failure to deliver noted space game Star Citizer please"

What the gently caress is going on with this project lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I know not this Roberts Chrislophor you speak of.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AP posted:

I know not this Roberts Chrislophor you speak of.

You can't spell "Roberts Chrislophor" without the L, O, P, H, O, and R from "Rohypnol." - the Tickler in Black

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

VictorianQueerLit posted:

[Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed][Citation Needed]

It's not unusual:

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 29, 2018

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

IDGAF if Beet probes me for "Anime", I'm super proud of this paint job that took forever, and I'm showing it everyone before I stuff it on a shelf to get dusty. Also, it's a good example of a better use of time over "playing" Star Citizen.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5JXpto9gpU

:gary:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hopefully space court levies the penalty against Roberts to play his game 200 hours as part of community service.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

kw0134 posted:

As a reminder, CIG has trouble getting doors to work. People have died trying to get out of their initial spawn point, struck dead for no apparent reason while reaching for a doorknob. CIG's grasp exceeds their reach in the same way a quadruple amputee can grasp the stars.

In game dev, one thing that is not often mentionned but is absolute truth, is that complexity of your code / game systems tends to grow exponentially, not linearly.

When you are adding a new feature to a game with a few simplistic systems, it goes well. Add the exact same feature when the game has matured and has tons of more complex systems and you've got yourself a difficult task.

If when your game is at the earlier stage ( ie. only the basic systems ) it already shows unfixable bugs like doors / ladders / ramps, well... imagine how it's going to look like when you'll add all your additional, complex gameplay features / systems. This is going to be a bug fest.

You *need* a solid foundation before you can iterate on more complex systems, otherwise your project is doomed.

Nyast fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 29, 2018

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Xaerael posted:

IDGAF if Beet probes me for "Anime", I'm super proud of this paint job that took forever, and I'm showing it everyone before I stuff it on a shelf to get dusty. Also, it's a good example of a better use of time over "playing" Star Citizen.

That is some really good weathering on the pauldrons and other smaller areas. Nice job, perhaps next one you can add it to some of the more exposed parts like the warheads. That would be cool. I like the matte/flat finish and a real lack of any visible brush strokes. How tall is this piece by the way?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hopefully space court levies the penalty against Roberts to play his game 200 hours as part of community service.
Crobber finds a loophole and plays Wing Commander 1-4 for 200 hours instead.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Remember, you're not paying for the ship, you're donating for the production of the game and the ship is just a perk.

Xaerael posted:

That's a crazy good paint job my friend. Enjoy your posting freedom.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Very nice work to be honest.

But it just so happens today someone painted a Star Citizen figure that CIG sells. Don't be jelly.

https://imgur.com/a/UqrvD

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I think we're looking at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS27ZLZDhO8 , between the 51 - 53 minute mark. They start out talking about claiming insurance and duplicate spaceships, but then the bolded part comes up right at 52:

In another minute or so Lando says, "I think that's of the most common questions, about the insurance system, the about duplication... whiny singsong voice "Oh no! My ship was stolen! This complete stranger here stole my ship and now there's two of them!" "

They start getting onto the subject about 47:28 in that video. This rambling bunch of loving nonsense is Lando's version of something being publicly known. Who could make heads or tails out of all that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS27ZLZDhO8&t=2848s

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Lots of posts today.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Truga posted:

when i asked what happens if i set it to coop and then shoot players, i never got an answer tho :v:

Of course not. The presence questions is the absence of faith.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

The Titanic posted:

CIG will be lucky just to get a door to open and close reliably before they go out of business.

I can't wait for CIG to try to lock all their employees out of the offices only to have them clip through the doors, the walls, whatever.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

CrazyTolradi posted:

Crobber finds a loophole and plays Wing Commander 1-4 for 200 hours instead.

I could see Chrisloafer doing that.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

DapperDon posted:

That is some really good weathering on the pauldrons and other smaller areas. Nice job, perhaps next one you can add it to some of the more exposed parts like the warheads. That would be cool. I like the matte/flat finish and a real lack of any visible brush strokes. How tall is this piece by the way?

It's an MG 1:100 scale, so it's about 10" tall standing flat footed.

I avoided over weathering the warheads on purpose to simulate them being new/reloads.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Jared Huckaby said that all of this info was out at the end of November. LET'S HAVE A LOOK SHALL WE. Hmm, I wonder is there anything hidden at the end of this video entitled "Cargo & Shopping"?

Subscriber's Town Hall - Cargo & Shopping
Nov 21 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS27ZLZDhO8

@49:30

Jared Huckaby:
This question has come up a couple times, 'Is there such a thing as legal ownership of cargo in 3.0?'

Star Citizen Dev:
Ok, ok... so... every now and then I read stuff on this and... it's partly my fault but... HAHA! Well, ok... so I did on AtV haha...

But... so yeah... there's... there's... technically like LEGAL and PHYSICAL ownership and this has to do with the way that the GAME, ah... TRACKS and... and... and... works with providing PERSISTENT DATA, so... and also... so... SLIGHTLY affecting criminality, so... if you LEGALLY own it that means you BOUGHT it or the game gave it to you for some, like, explicit reason, so like if I BOUGHT something at a COMMODITY KIOSK, like I legally own that, or if I bought some SHIP in the game I legally own it

However, if I have, say, a NOX that's in the back of my ship, I LEGALLY own it but then WILL comes in the back, sneaks in, picks up the NOX, puts it in HIS Starfarer or whatever... well now he PHYSICALLY owns it even though I LEGALLY own it

So what that means is certain GAMEPLAY BEHAVIOURS that will be BLOCKED depending on that, so...

Say I go to the AESOP terminal and I want to spawn a ship. Do I physically own the ship? Do I own this NOX? Physically? NO. I can't spawn it. OK. But maybe HE wants to claim INSURANCE on this NOX... he CAN'T because he doesn't LEGALLY own it.

So it's just a way of understanding the, um... OWNERSHIP to in... to INFORM other gameplay systems.

Jared Huckaby:
So, in 3.0... just piggybacking on that... I spawn a NOX, I spawn a FREELANCER, I put the NOX inside of my FREELANCER, I despawn the FREELANCER, I log out, but when I... when I come back and I spawn the FREELANCER it will have the NOX inside the cargo hold.

Star Citizen Dev:
Yes

Jared Huckaby:
Ok. Now I spawn a NOX. I get off of it. WILL takes my NOX, puts it into his FREELANCER, despawns the ship, logs out...

Star Citizen Dev:
It'll still be there. It needs more QA but A-HAHAHA! But yes.

Jared Huckaby:
Ok... ok... ok... so... so HE logs out, ah... now... now... now I wanna fly my NOX, what options are available to me at this point?

Star Citizen Dev:
Ah... it will show it as... NOT AVAILABLE... because it's not PHYSICALLY in your possession and it's not at your LOCATION... you can't spawn it... you can still claim INSURANCE on it, you can ALWAYS claim insurance on it... HE has access to that ship and... if... next time he spawns a ship he'll have that ship, he can't claim INSURANCE on it and if he parks it out somewhere else, and then LOGS OFF... because he doesn't LEGALLY own it, next time he logs in he won't have it any more.

And he won't be able to spawn it EVER at an AESOP terminal because he doesn't LEGALLY own it.

Jared Huckaby:
Ok so... so... so WILL can't spawn it, if it bel... if WILL... has it BLOWN UP that's it...

Star Citizen Dev:
IT'S GONE, yes.

Jared Huckaby:
So if WILL has it in the back of his FREELANCER and he has his insurance claim... in theory there's TWO NOXES

Star Citizen Dev:
There's two NOXES, yes

Jared Huckaby:
But only ONE is going to live on to MATURITY, the other ones life... it's DAYS ARE NUMBERED

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS27ZLZDhO8

@49:30

Jared Huckaby:
This question has come up a couple times, 'Is there such a thing as legal ownership of cargo in 3.0?'

Star Citizen Dev:
Ok, ok... so... every now and then I read stuff on this and... it's partly my fault but... HAHA! Well, ok... so I did on AtV haha...

But... so yeah... there's... there's... technically like LEGAL and PHYSICAL ownership and this has to do with the way that the GAME, ah... TRACKS and... and... and... works with providing PERSISTENT DATA, so... and also... so... SLIGHTLY affecting criminality, so... if you LEGALLY own it that means you BOUGHT it or the game gave it to you for some, like, explicit reason, so like if I BOUGHT something at a COMMODITY KIOSK, like I legally own that, or if I bought some SHIP in the game I legally own it

LEGALLY???
Thanks Jones.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Everybody, please stop giving Lando flak for answering questions over and over again.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I love how this project is so far off the rails that Beet making a joke about ocean mocap is entirely within the realm of believably stupid poo poo that CIG might actually do.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Streetroller posted:

Thanks Jones.

Welcome.

That's a conditional transcript btw, I want to see that posted in response to Lando on r/games and him asked to confirm if this is the information from November 2017 he is referring to.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Toops posted:

Personally, I think this kind of environment/feature is really important in an open-world, persistent MMO. Having a "base" where you can go hang out in between missions, and admire your own accomplishments via in-game collectible items is really attractive imo.

So, I'll tell you what originally hooked me with the Star Citizen pitch. It may sound trite, but remember, I'm the type of gamer that has ~1000 hours in DayZ Standalone. It was this: Collecting relics. That's it. Flying around the galaxy searching for ancient relics and building a kind of museum. This is a Chris Roberts pitch btw, I didn't shitizen that one out of my overactive imagination. Of course, there has to be a ton of supporting gameplay that's fun to make the collecting process interesting, but that's the fundamental gameplay hook that got me.

IMO, most open world games fall apart at the "end game." The fun is gearing up. Once you get there though, the hook evaporates and you have to "make your own fun" which just isn't compelling design.

I'll demonstrate this by pitching my open-world game idea:
- Post-apocalypse
- Massively multiplayer
- 3d open-world environment
- FPS-style player character

Wake up in your survival wank shelter. It's been 3 years since <event> and you've finally run out of food and supplies. Now you have to strike out in a mostly deserted and destroyed post-apocalyptic North-American landscape. So basically The Road. There are no zombies, but there are roving bands of NPC survivors, most of them hostile. Also, there are other players. So early-game play is a lot like Neo-Scavenger. Loot for survival. Either stand and fight or run/hide.

At some point early on, you stumble upon an abandoned camp and find a radio, but it doesn't work. Ding new mission: get this radio working. This unlocks the crafting system, which will be very, arguably aspbergery, deep. There are scraps, materials, and parts everywhere in the world, and over time, you obtain crafting knowledge and can build better and more complex things from these basic elements. You can also find new more complex materials once you learn about them.

As an example, you can craft a basic lead-acid battery from these components (I'm leaving out details for the sake of brevity):
1. polymer --craft--> battery casing
2. lead --craft--> lead sheets
3. sulfuric acid
4. water
5. copper
6. heat source

As you collect or learn* more recipes, you can make a lithium-ion battery from:
1. polymer --craft--> battery casing
2. lithium metal
3. lithium oxide
4. copper

* there's an "ingenuity" system which lets you "invent" or "discover" new recipes over time the more you craft.

This solves the DayZ problem where there's hardly any loot in the world and most of it is useless. You're never going to find an AR-15 in an outhouse. You have to craft almost everything beyond the basics, and there are parts all over the place. So you get a slow-steady dopamine reward from constantly finding stuff you can potentially use, instead of big huge scores followed by hours and hours of nothing.

Now lets flash-forward. You're geared up, have good food and water source(s). What now? Go run to the beach and kill bambis? Well, remember that radio? Once you get it working, and find/craft a power source, you can tune in to a broadcast signal. The broadcast is a pre-recorded message from some group called "The Preservation Trust." Their mission is pretty simple: To preserve relics, knowledge, and heirlooms of our lost society. They give coordinates to their headquarters. Any "relic" items you find in the world can be turned in to the PT for rewards. So suddenly, places like libraries, government buildings, museums, fancy mansions, etc become "hotspots" where you can find relics. This will promote player interactions.

So you can decide which relics to "turn in" and which to keep as your own private collection. Where might you "keep" these relics? Well, your base.

To keep from copy/pasting my entire design document(s), you can build shelters and upgrade them over time. One key element here is no raiding. You claim land but your base is invisible and invulnerable. You can invite friendlies in, but nobody except you can interact with the base in any way. I love Rust, but I'll just end up making a clone if there's raiding. There's just no way around the very narrow gameplay loop that results. Again, I like that kind of game, but I'm not making that kind of game. It really pigeon-holes the entire player experience, with game-breaking, negative griefing/exploit impact if it's not near-perfect (See: Conan Exiles), and a very toxic experience even if it is (See: Rust).

I have tons of pages of design around this game and this isn't even the tip of the iceberg. But I typed all of this just to show how I personally go about "planning" games, based on being a part of game development and learning from my betters. To start, I write out the first principles. The gameplay hooks, the look, the feel, and most importantly the experience I want to deliver. Next, I just dump all my ideas down and have a look. I then begin grouping them into features, thinking about which ones will work, where the synergies are, which need to be changed, and which should be removed entirely. I talk with others about them, ask them to poke holes in it. All of these features are designed to shape the gameplay, and provide the most fun, engaging experience possible. I wouldn't have crafting unless there was a prevailing design reason for it. It must yield a gameplay experience that fits the game's governing dynamic. If a feature or set of ideas seem cool, but just aren't "coming together" in a way I can logically organize, succinctly explain, and fit into a cohesive experience, I delete them outright. If it's meant to be it'll come back around later.

The point is, I'm just some schmuck on the internet who worked in the biz ages ago, and now just farts around with games for fun. When I look at CIG, it's obvious they aren't doing this basic level of thought about what their game is, what the player is supposed to do, and what the experience is supposed to be. They haven't considered all the ways it will fall apart in the player's hands. It's a hodge-podge clusterfuck of space buzzwords hastily sprayed like cat urine from the mental excretory orifice of a sub-normal idiot straight into a bottomless thought-toilet, never to be seen again.

You should totally pitch this idea to CryTek. They are some of the dumbest people on the planet and will probably even make a Kickstarter demo for your pitch.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

SomethingJones posted:

Star Citizen Dev:
Ah... it will show it as... NOT AVAILABLE... because it's not PHYSICALLY in your possession and it's not at your LOCATION... you can't spawn it... you can still claim INSURANCE on it, you can ALWAYS claim insurance on it... HE has access to that ship and... if... next time he spawns a ship he'll have that ship, he can't claim INSURANCE on it and if he parks it out somewhere else, and then LOGS OFF... because he doesn't LEGALLY own it, next time he logs in he won't have it any more.

And he won't be able to spawn it EVER at an AESOP terminal because he doesn't LEGALLY own it.

Jared Huckaby:
Ok so... so... so WILL can't spawn it, if it bel... if WILL... has it BLOWN UP that's it...

Star Citizen Dev:
IT'S GONE, yes.

Jared Huckaby:
So if WILL has it in the back of his FREELANCER and he has his insurance claim... in theory there's TWO NOXES

Star Citizen Dev:
There's two NOXES, yes

Jared Huckaby:
But only ONE is going to live on to MATURITY, the other ones life... it's DAYS ARE NUMBERED

It's all so clear.

FYI, because I didn't know what the hell it was, ASOP terminal:

quote:

Automated Ship Organization Program

"Port Olisar is proud to feature UniCorp Limited’s cutting edge all-in-one automated ship organization program, ASOP. After you’ve landed, ASOP takes care of storing you ship for you! To retrieve your vessel, visit one of the ASOP terminals located in the Ship Deck Atrium, and once selected, your craft will be delivered to an available landing pad."

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
From Frontier forum

quote:

That's a pretty good way to describe the differences between the two companies.

But these are not two equal companies in any way though. Star Citizen has a larger team, more money and made the wise decision to not launch on consoles or VR at this moment. Frontier now has to support a configuration of console hardware that's years behind PC tech, like the original Xbox One. The stitching and technical limitations are all over the place in ED. Star Citizen has done a better job building a tech that works much better behind the scenes (take performance issues / bugs out of the equation right now)

When Star Citizen eventually finishes core development in the next 2 or 3 years, I have a hard time thinking there will be an audience for Elite like there is now. Their development needs to be much more ambitious than what Beyond is. Basically Windows XP Service Pack 3.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Lots of posts today.
They're all poo poo.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The cryengine ks demo always looked like a poorly done in-engine scripted/on rails thing like from a game in the 2000s

Like super unnatural and didn't look like a game being played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Dooguk posted:

What wine goes with ping pong balls?

I guess any old table (tennis) wine will go well.