Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Vegetable posted:

Learned today that Ellen DeGeneres is 16 years older than Portia de Rossi and feeling a bit weirded out by the age gap

Why? They are both middle-aged adults and were seasoned adults 14 years ago. It's not like the wily Ellen gets naive young Portia to do things she doesn't want to because she doesn't know better yet with her lack of life experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

What do people do other than have Netflix/hulu/amazon etc, to get basic cable options. I have a hazy memory of some sort of digital antenna thing you can buy to get the basic channels? Idk.

I have an Antenna in the attic hooked up to an HD Homerun that is fed to Channels DVR, though I could probably get away with just the antenna and use Hulu as a DVR for locals. I have PlayStation Vue for cable, but depending on your desired channels/how much you want to pay/UI needs another service may fit you better. Off the top of my head there is:

*Playstation Vue
*DirectTV Now
*Sling TV
*Hulu with Live Channels
*YouTube TV

All of the above offer free trials, I’d say give each a try and keep your favorite. I’m sure there will be more in the future. T-Mobile is entering the market later this year, for instance, and rumors about Apple and Amazon offering similar services persist.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh poo poo episode 3 of Dirty Money is about Shkreli. This show owns, highly recommended. It's a bit like Last Week Tonight on steroids without the lame jokes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My window looks right across the river at the main broadcast antenna for the city, so I just have some small $10 rabbit-ears attached to the top of my TV by velcro to save on table space (I honestly think those Command strips should be enshrined next to duct tape, wonderfully handy things). If you haven't dealt with broadcast TV before:

--"digital antenna" is the same as "antenna" these days unless you have an old TV (assuming you're in America where we changed over 10 years ago, not sure about the rest of the world)
--unless you're somewhere that gets a really bad signal, the various boosters and special antenna formations and such are going to be mostly snake oil. Two ears and a loop is the basic design.
--There are websites around to check broadcast in your area like https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps and that's a good baseline, though that'll be affected by other buildings and such.
--Start cheap. Better to get a $10 thing that doesn't work then to spend $100 on one that you didn't need.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruceski posted:

My window looks right across the river at the main broadcast antenna for the city, so I just have some small $10 rabbit-ears attached to the top of my TV by velcro to save on table space (I honestly think those Command strips should be enshrined next to duct tape, wonderfully handy things). If you haven't dealt with broadcast TV before:

--"digital antenna" is the same as "antenna" these days unless you have an old TV (assuming you're in America where we changed over 10 years ago, not sure about the rest of the world)
--unless you're somewhere that gets a really bad signal, the various boosters and special antenna formations and such are going to be mostly snake oil. Two ears and a loop is the basic design.
--There are websites around to check broadcast in your area like https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps and that's a good baseline, though that'll be affected by other buildings and such.
--Start cheap. Better to get a $10 thing that doesn't work then to spend $100 on one that you didn't need.

On top of your TV is the absolute worst place for your antenna. Electronic devices put out a ton of EM that will interfere with signals. I cut my cord well before the DTV changeover, and I admit that it's probably better now with flat screens that don't have to charge up a big electron tube. When it comes to antenna placement, you really want to put it as high, and far away from any electronics that you can.

I am going to disagree with the signal booster comment, because I do run a signal amplifier, and I can certainly get better reception for some of the weaker channels. The downside with the amplifiers is that it will also amplify interference with the signal, so YMMV.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, knowing where your local channels are coming from is key for antenna placement if you're more than 10 miles away from the broadcast tower. TV Fool is really handy for that.

Annoyingly enough, where I am in Connecticut there are Fox, CBS, and NBC affiliates in Hartford (the closest city), but because there was an existent ABC channel north of them in western Mass and an another south in New Haven there isn't a Hartford ABC affiliate. So to watch Jeopardy I had to angle my antenna juuuust right to get the Massachusetts ABC channel. If I tried to get the Hartford ABC channel it would mess up my reception for all the others. If the weather's bad, the mass ABC channel doesn't come in at all, but it's better than nothing.

But on a clear day, I can get over 50 channels (though 12 of those are duplicates). I could probably get better signal if I moved the antenna outside but the attic works well enough.

Amusingly enough I have a secondary antenna I picked up for like $20 for testing that I just stuck behind my TV and it gets CBS, NBC, and Fox just fine--it's really just ABC and the CW that I needed to put the antenna in the attic for.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 29, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bruceski posted:

Everything else is pretty spot on but the booster comment is not true at all. The Winegard LNA-200 boosted my reception to get about 4 times the channels I got beforehand. I don't live in the boonies but I do live in the suburbs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lelandjs posted:

Also, knowing where your local channels are coming from is key for antenna placement if you're more than 10 miles away from the broadcast tower. TV Fool is really handy for that.

Annoyingly enough, where I am in Connecticut there are Fox, CBS, and NBC affiliates in Hartford (the closest city), but because there was an existent ABC channel north of them in western Mass and an another south in New Haven there isn't a Hartford ABC affiliate. So to watch Jeopardy I had to angle my antenna juuuust right to get the Massachusetts ABC channel. If I tried to get the Hartford ABC channel it would mess up my reception for all the others. If the weather's bad, it doesn't come in at all.

But on a clear day, I can get over 50 channels (though 12 of those are duplicates). I could probably get better signal if I moved the antenna outside but the attic works well enough.

I currently get 61 channels from both the Cincinnati and Dayton markets, weirdly enough, despite being closer to Cincy, I cannot for the life of me find the CBS feed, but Dayton has me covered.

I was getting 69 channels, but one of the "UHF" channels recently shut down taking all those sub channels with it.

Croatoan posted:

Everything else is pretty spot on but the booster comment is not true at all. The Winegard LNA-200 boosted my reception to get about 4 times the channels I got beforehand. I don't live in the boonies but I do live in the suburbs.

One of these days I'm going to upgrade to the Winegard, but for now my cheapass RCA does the trick.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Croatoan posted:

Fair enough. As I said I'm in ideal signal placement, and the stuff I found online when looking up info didn't suggest it was any big improvement so I flinched from the price jumps, but personal experience tops theory. I think I could have put it better as "may be useful in some conditions but are not mandatory".

Iron Crowned posted:

On top of your TV is the absolute worst place for your antenna. Electronic devices put out a ton of EM that will interfere with signals. I cut my cord well before the DTV changeover, and I admit that it's probably better now with flat screens that don't have to charge up a big electron tube. When it comes to antenna placement, you really want to put it as high, and far away from any electronics that you can.

Huh. I get a notably worse signal if I put it on the table away from the TV, and any further placement to test (right in the window for instance) would involve getting an extension cable and laying it across traffic paths. My old CRT TV just had a spot on top of the case for the antenna to clip into, so I assumed that was an ideal spot for them.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also worth noting that, even though I get a ton of OTA channels, the networks are usually the only ones with anything worth watching on them. I wish I spoke Spanish better, because there's Telemundo subchannels playing surprisingly awesome recent films, but they're dubbed. There's also a local unaffiliated channel that airs Indian news and movies, which is neat but they're all in... Hindi, I guess?

I really miss MeTV, which the CW affiliate in Boston carried. They always had movies on that starred big name actors before they got big, which was fun. I was excited when the Fox affiliate added a new subchannel called "TBD" but all it is is complications of YouTube videos. They air and advertise episodes of "Tabletop" with Wil Wheaton as if it's some big get and not just something you can watch for free.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bruceski posted:

Huh. I get a notably worse signal if I put it on the table away from the TV, and any further placement to test (right in the window for instance) would involve getting an extension cable and laying it across traffic paths. My old CRT TV just had a spot on top of the case for the antenna to clip into, so I assumed that was an ideal spot for them.

You'll want to be familiar with where your signals are coming from, and yeah, extension cables. I have a feeling that spot on the old CRTs was just for convenience. I mean if it's working for you, it's working for you.

My current apartment I lucked out and it was wired for cable, so I just cracked open the box and put a splitter in it, so I have my antenna sitting on top of a book shelf in my bedroom. My old apartment, I did have to run an extension cable along some walls to get to the TV.

I guess if it works for you it works, but it's definitely worth doing some research.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lelandjs posted:

It's also worth noting that, even though I get a ton of OTA channels, the networks are usually the only ones with anything worth watching on them. I wish I spoke Spanish better, because there's Telemundo subchannels playing surprisingly awesome recent films, but they're dubbed. There's also a local unaffiliated channel that airs Indian news and movies, which is neat but they're all in... Hindi, I guess?

I really miss MeTV, which the CW affiliate in Boston carried. They always had movies on that starred big name actors before they got big, which was fun. I was excited when the Fox affiliate added a new subchannel called "TBD" but all it is is complications of YouTube videos. They air and advertise episodes of "Tabletop" with Wil Wheaton as if it's some big get and not just something you can watch for free.

TBD is definitely a weird one, and I don't really get the appeal of it. My favorites are Comet (sci-fi), and H&I (uh, it has, NYPD Blue, Star Trek, and Xena).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy! got renewed. Although unless this week's finale ends on a cliffhanger I'm not sure where they could go with a second season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

Happy! got renewed. Although unless this week's finale ends on a cliffhanger I'm not sure where they could go with a second season.

That's because you don't have a hugely hosed up imagination like the creators of happy!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No premise is allowed to be both popular and one-off anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I thought I heard somewhere that the creators had three seasons planned out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

bull3964 posted:

I thought I heard somewhere that the creators had three seasons planned out.

Which is like 24 episodes. Not a hugely terrible amount.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GreenNight posted:

Which is like 24 episodes. Not a hugely terrible amount.

No, it's not. Just wondering how they will have justification of Happy sticking around Nick once his kid is rescued and I don't see them prolonging that plot past the season.

Though, I could see them doing something that Haley outgrowing happy due to the poo poo she went though and saying that Nick needs him more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's what I expect, since Nick now believes in him and Haley doesn't due to growing up slash trama.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

lelandjs posted:

I agree. The only off channels I watch are PBS, Create and Decades because I'm an old.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

bull3964 posted:

No, it's not. Just wondering how they will have justification of Happy sticking around Nick once his kid is rescued and I don't see them prolonging that plot past the season.

Though, I could see them doing something that Haley outgrowing happy due to the poo poo she went though and saying that Nick needs him more.

Or Haley could just join him on his next murderous rampage. It's not like the show would be above a kid killing and maiming random goons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

Yep, my apartment faces away from DC and Baltimore so I get sweet fuckall for OTA signals. Fortunately the only thing I want out of that is CBS and that costs like 5 bucks a month when I want it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Yep, my apartment faces away from DC and Baltimore so I get sweet fuckall for OTA signals. Fortunately the only thing I want out of that is CBS and that costs like 5 bucks a month when I want it.

Don't underestimate what a good antenna and placement can do for you. I was able to get Boston channels loud & clear with a $80 indoor/outdoor antenna in Salem, even though all the buildings around me were 3+ stories tall. I had to put in in a veeeery specific spot (for a short time it was on top of a stack of old textbooks, which in turn were on top of a dresser) in a room down the hall from where the TV was but it got all the channels I needed. As much height as possible is key.

That said, if you're in an ground floor apartment on the wrong side of the building, that may be too much for even the best antenna you can get.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Hoooly poo poo y'all need to watch the Trump episode of Dirty Money.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have no idea what Dirty Money is.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

A Netflix show produced by the dude who made Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room and Taxi to the Dark Side.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a Netflix docu-anthology about corporate corruption.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

I have an Antenna in the attic hooked up to an HD Homerun that is fed to Channels DVR, though I could probably get away with just the antenna and use Hulu as a DVR for locals. I have PlayStation Vue for cable, but depending on your desired channels/how much you want to pay/UI needs another service may fit you better. Off the top of my head there is:

*Playstation Vue
*DirectTV Now
*Sling TV
*Hulu with Live Channels
*YouTube TV

All of the above offer free trials, I’d say give each a try and keep your favorite. I’m sure there will be more in the future. T-Mobile is entering the market later this year, for instance, and rumors about Apple and Amazon offering similar services persist.

Personally, I only get three OTA channels where I live and I didn't feel like any of the TV streaming services above were worth paying the monthly fee for the low ratio of good/poo poo channels, so I've just gotten accustomed to watching my favorite shows the day after they air.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Netflix, Altered Carbon drops this Friday. Looking forward to it, even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat you couch chat, why am I just now hearing that Soderbergh made an interactive fiction game as a TV show?!

Is it good? (Mosaic)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's Soderbergh, so yes.

I mean, you liked The Knick, right?
Question about Mosaic, is the app just a cut down version of the show? Seems like it might be easier to just watch the HBO presentation to get the whole picture.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yo, I know it is definitely not for everyone but I'm really digging Hot Streets.

"We know Chubby killed a kid!"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Did any of you watch Gunpowder? I watched the first episode last night and it seemed pretty crappy, curious if it gets better or if Jon Snow just keeps moping about while everybody reminds him to never stop moping.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It has some brutal executions if you're into that. Like guts spilling out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did yall see that in the most perfect casting of all time, Tom Hanks is gonna play Mr Rogers in a biopic

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just finished pilot of Counterpart. Good but not great, but that's mainly a script issue with pacing.

I would describe it as Fringe x The Americans. Which you can't say no to.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 30, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Did yall see that in the most perfect casting of all time, Tom Hanks is gonna play Mr Rogers in a biopic

I don't find that to be a particularly good casting.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tom Hanks just plays himself in everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Except Catch Me if Your Can.

He played himself with a super lovely Boston accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

If Tony Kornheiser is to be believed, he played a poor Ben Bradley in The Post. You see, Bradley was a lion of a man, the sexiest and most dangerous man in any room.