Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

yeah, tomorrow if I'm alive and also can't talk Nat into dusting off those replacements, my new top scumread is gonna be MT. Cause her D1 reprieve will be up, and either she was backing up a scum Quid, or she should have had no reason to genuinely read Quid as town like that before the cop claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I've also requested a replacement, so Bif, if you wanna keep playing, you can.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Or you guys can just not be whiny grandmas and play the game, and not get so butthurt.

You ruined my roleplay with your being whiners, I want to play with both of you.

Now Kith and make up.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'd be quite happy to go on playing, I just hope that, town OR scum, Quid has a think about what he's saying and how his accusations seem to be going uncomfortably past the game.

And I'm not kissing nobody, ick, cooties

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I also hope that you, too, will look at the way you interact with people who disagree with you and reflect on the way you treat them when you are expressing those feelings of disagreement.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm sorry I got mad. I have a very short tolerance for what happened tonight in this thread, and I should have followed my own advice and walked away.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

Bifauxnen posted:

I'd be quite happy to go on playing, I just hope that, town OR scum, Quid has a think about what he's saying and how his accusations seem to be going uncomfortably past the game.

And I'm not kissing nobody, ick, cooties

Quidthulhu posted:

I also hope that you, too, will look at the way you interact with people who disagree with you and reflect on the way you treat them when you are expressing those feelings of disagreement.

Monathin posted:

I'm sorry I got mad. I have a very short tolerance for what happened tonight in this thread, and I should have followed my own advice and walked away.

That was beautiful. That whole exchange. Unprompted gentleness everywhere. I love all three of you.

Quid though, really, I hope I get to play with you again.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

The only person being gentle in that exchange was Mona :v:

Sorry I upset you, Mona. My intention was not to derail the game, but to call out what I saw as bad behavior. My behavior in doing so was not great as doing that mid-game day is a real inappropriate place for it. You were within your rights to get upset and call me out on it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

realtalk, that is what I have been doing, literally, every.single. game. since Shine IV when I saw I got Asiina really mad.

I made a pledge to play one game avoiding profanity or insults despite Taste constantly calling me a retard and flerp dayvigging me.
Then I made a pledge to try and reduce my postcount since I could see, on reflection, that I couldn't blame flerp for tuning out and not seeing how obviously townie I was when I just post so goddamn much he didn't want to read it. But you got mad at me for not engaging you enough.
Then I played FF6 and got cased by MT for "being too nice."
Then I played Cudlaty, and had Hal and Asiina call me the Donald Trump of Mafia, implying that the reason I couldn't read Hal as town was cause I just don't have enough human empathy or something.
I am continuing my efforts despite this.

This game I have been on your case a lot, but despite my not wanting to make our slapfight TWICE AS LONG by replying to everything you prod me on, I have been reading your posts. Which you yourself admit you have not been doing for me even when I do a Lumpenlist like you ask. And apart from an occasional "lol", I have been trying to make sure I don't get too insulting, and continue emphasize how I just find your assertions to be wrong, and perhaps on purpose because you are scum, but this does make me not angry with you as a person.

If despite all that, you still want to just go NO YOU SUCK BIF NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY BEHAVIOR IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT I HATE MAFIA well then enjoy FF7 without me.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

realtalk, that is what I have been doing, literally, every.single. game. since Shine IV when I saw I got Asiina really mad.

I made a pledge to play one game avoiding profanity or insults despite Taste constantly calling me a retard and flerp dayvigging me.
Then I made a pledge to try and reduce my postcount since I could see, on reflection, that I couldn't blame flerp for tuning out and not seeing how obviously townie I was when I just post so goddamn much he didn't want to read it. But you got mad at me for not engaging you enough.
Then I played Cudlaty, and had Hal and Asiina call me the Donald Trump of Mafia, implying that the reason I couldn't read Hal as town was cause I just don't have enough human empathy or something.
I am continuing my efforts despite this.

This game I have been on your case a lot, but despite my not wanting to make our slapfight TWICE AS LONG by replying to everything you prod me on, I have been reading your posts. Which you yourself admit you have not been doing for me even when I do a Lumpenlist like you ask. And apart from an occasional "lol", I have been trying to make sure I don't get too insulting, and continue emphasize how I just find your assertions to be wrong, and perhaps on purpose because you are scum, but this does make me not angry with you as a person.

If despite all that, you still want to just go NO YOU SUCK BIF NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY BEHAVIOR IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT I HATE MAFIA well then enjoy FF7 without me.

Hey, I thought we were being gentle. Man.

I still think all of you are awesome. Sometime awesome people disagree. But you know what? That's awesome too!

...Everything is awesome...

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Quidthulhu posted:

Sorry I upset you, Mona. My intention was not to derail the game, but to call out what I saw as bad behavior. My behavior in doing so was not great as doing that mid-game day is a real inappropriate place for it. You were within your rights to get upset and call me out on it.

Realtalk, dude, the reason I got mad? This is gonna get a bit overly real, but. Go find a checklist of emotionally manipulative behavior/signs of being an abuser/bullying behavior. You were pretty much hitting all the big ones the way you were trying to call out Bif's poo poo. I can absolutely understand the place those feelings come from, because Mafia is a hella frustrating game, but I wasn't lying when I say I'd policy vote anyone who pulled that stunt. It was extremely, sincerely uncool, and I thought you were pretty cool up unti that point, what happened in the Shine V thread aside.

I am not going to make commentary on your life and what's going on cause I'm not your parents or your boss or whatever, but if you're getting that riles up over the game, you legitimately need to take a step back and examine what's going on there. I don't like having to commit to policy votes. It's poo poo, and I generally live by a philosophy of 'don't bring grudges to the game table', I don't like having to break my own rule, but I also don't want someone making a game toxic because they respond the way you did under pressure.

I hope we can play a game at another time where you're less stressed out about the scumhunt, dude.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I don't need you to lecture me on emotionally abusive behavior because a year ago I got out of a three year relationship where my partner spent a lot of that time emotionally abusing me, and I myself am sensitive to things that feel like that from my end. It's why I am reacting very poorly to people literally taking my voice away through saying "you're not worth the air it takes to speak." That's the message you send to someone when they spend several hours responding on & working to cases and your response to their work is "look at this, lol, ignoring it."

If you're fine with that sort of rhetoric in a mafia game, totally fine, have your fun. I asked to be offed today, and I've asked for a replacement, because this ISN'T fun for me any more. I've tried many times to play games in this community in spite of this trend towards spending more time telling each other how stupid and fake you are so we can all turn around and feel smug when we're right but it isn't working for me, and so I'm out.

Maybe instead of spending a ton of time sitting there just saying "quid is clearly in the wrong here" y'all should look at what I'm saying and why I'm saying it, including the times when I was pointing out that it was happening.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the game further, if y'all are having a good time with everything that's not my contributions, enjoy. I don't want to ruin this game any more than I already have since Nat20 has put a lot of effort into it. I have expressed these feelings in the Mafia thread many times after being upset like this, as have other people. The appropriate place for this conversation for this is there.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

And Bif is NOT the only one doing this in our community, or even in this game, so I don't want to put the brunt of this on her. She's just been interacting with me more than anyone else, so I've been arguing with her about it more.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Quid I can totally empathize with how you feel. In Shine V I had a similar "breakdown" and asked to be killed, voted for myself, etc. It really sucks that you feel marginalized, I think you are a cool person and I don't want you to feel like it's taking over. I really don't want you to leave the game because you are good person. However if you feel like stepping away from the game please do it for yourself. I enjoy mafia when it's 14 people trying to figure out who to kill so that their respective teams win. I think taking a step back and getting some sleep will do good for everyone.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

back home and some nice quality time with the kid later...

Quid, I'm sorry for going on about my gripes when clearly you got things worse than me right now.

And I'm sorry for not figuring out any smarter way by now to work around your obvious rage buttons which should be well known at this point.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

My life is great except for mafia, lol. Clearly the thing I need to cut out~

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

welp, go catch your eyeballs and put em back in their sockets now if you're reading, tith, haha

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hello everyone.

A word before the flip. Mafia is about baselessly accusing people of poo poo because you have a gut feeling. That's the game, that's what it always will be.

I understand that feelings can get hurt because of that and so we should be careful during the game to avoid that.

But from my perspective nobody actually said or did anything I wouldn't expect from a normal mafia game. So just try to keep cool and play on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Anyway:

Tired Moritz, Town aligned Saber (Strongman vig/all cops will fail) was brutally lynched.

It is now Night 1 please submit all night actions by 11:59 pm EST.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quidthulhu, Town Aligned Illyasviel von Einzbern (Cop) was found dead

It is now Day 2 which will end on Wednesday the 31st of January at 11:59 p.m. EST

The quest for the grail continues, an maiden with a heart pure as snow and a child are its first victims.

Is it truly worth the cost?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Not Voting (12): 50 pounds of bread, b-minus1, Bifauxnen, Chic Trombone, GulagDolls, Juchero, KhediveRex, Monathin, Murmur Twin, Prince of Space, SalTheBard, Tobbs Gnawed

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I wrote this up this morning while the thread was closed about last night. Click here to see what I'm quoting.

I've been playing Mafia for a few years now and I've grown to like a lot of people that I've met through these forums games. I don't want Mafia games to be an environment where people feel out-of-the-game uncomfortable, and so in the interest of wanting my friends to have fun, I wanted to put some of this out there.

quote:

How Do You Fix a Safety Problem?
---
You need to step out of the content of the conversation because there is no use continuing to talk and debate about deadlines, next steps, etc. until safety is restored for the participants. You’re just not going to achieve the best results if you keep pushing.

Next, decide which “condition of safety” is at risk: Mutual Purpose or Mutual Respect.

“Mutual Purpose means that others perceive that you’re working toward a common outcome, that you care about their goals, interests, and values. And vice versa.”

Are you in an endless debate? Are people acting defensive or accusatory? Are hidden agendas at play? These are warning signs that you haven’t established Mutual Purpose.

This is the fun part of Mafia - we all sign up with it as a given that not all of the players have Mutual Purpose. Debate, defensiveness, accusations, and hidden agendas are all things we assume will be in any given game of Mafia. Having a space in which to argue with friends and not have it be personal is, at least in theory, the reason I like the game so much.

quote:

“Mutual Respect is the continuance condition of dialogue. The instant people perceive disrespect, the interaction is no longer about the original purpose – it is now about defending dignity.

Are emotions strong because people feel disrespected? Do you observe pouting, name-calling, and anger? If so, then you are dealing with a Mutual Respect problem.

For me, problem-solving a Mutual Respect issue is the toughest of these two safety problems. How can I respect someone who has repeatedly let me down or makes choices based on their own self-interest instead of the team? For this, the authors have an elegant and beautiful solution:

…we can stay in dialogue by finding a way to honor and regard another person’s basic humanity. In essence, feelings of disrespect often come when we dwell on how others are different from ourselves. We can counteract these feelings by looking for ways we are similar.

This is where, in my opinion, things sometimes go south. When players are no longer showing each other mutual respect, it stops being about alignment and starts becoming about defending our character (often by besmirching others). I fully 100% admit to being guilty of this myself at times, and it's something I've put a lot of conscious effort into working on since FF6. Cases should never get personal, because it's a slippery slope between "I think you're scum" and showing actual disrespect to our friends.

My request to every player in this game would be to stop, take a deep breath, and remember that there is a living breathing human on the other side of the screen. Ask yourself if you'd be saying the things you're saying to someone else (a) if you were with them in-person and (b) if it wasn't in the context of a game. For what it's worth, it seemed like people realized this towards the end of the disagreements yesterday - for the sake of fun (which is why we're all here), let's please keep it that way!

If people treat me with respect, I'll treat them with respect, even if I think they're scum or they think I'm scum. If people don't treat me with respect, I'm not going to engage them until they do. I strongly encourage others to take a similar approach - both inside and outside of the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
As an aside, thanks everyone for getting actions in so quickly. If that happens I can usually process inside a day, as soon as I get home from work.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

For the record, the case in that game was:

quote:

Her posting in that game as town and in this game are like night and day. In Shine 4, Bif's posting tone is marked by:

- confidence (to the point of arrogance)
- suspicion of lots of people
- willingness to troll other people to try and illicit reactions from potential scum
- a desire to lead the conversation
- strongly defending herself from other people who think she's scum

Basically, when Bif is town you can tell she's emotionally invested in hunting for scum. In this game, she is:

- willling to just accept that people who are casing her are town (me and flerp)
- talkative, but not really with cases and stuff
- generally friendly and polite in her engagements with other people
- going out of her way to not be combaitive with other people

---

I'm not going to claim to have all the answers, just that it's clear to me that Bif's primary goal is self-preservation, not hunting for scum.

Bif: what were our alignments that game?

For what it's worth - that same read is why I think you're town here.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I was an SK, haha

but I was trying to town it up as usual to hunt down those scum for real!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

AND trying to be nice. :v:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

I was an SK, haha

but I was trying to town it up as usual to hunt down those scum for real!

After I cased you! Literally, before I made that post your read on me was "She's casing me, yeah, but I think MMT is town", that was what I thought was suspicious :j:

Once I made that case I admit that you were hunting for scum - you spent the entire rest of the game picking apart every single post I made because you were convinced I was scum and nothing I said or did would change your mind.

I don't want to go too much into it - honestly I'd probably just PM you this stuff if we weren't in an active game :glomp: But you seem to think I just made up my "this is a slapfight" opinion and I just want to be clear why I thought it.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

:ghost: Good luck, Town! :ghost:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anyway, I already knew yesterday you thought I was town. Are you trying to make me think you must be town too, cause that was your alignment then?

I dont know - maybe that's just your cases often being off from mine that led you to see Quid as so townie. But if I see someone throwing totally wrong stuff around, like saying I was pushing narratives that I said the exact opposite of, then looking like they were trying badly to cover up the slip, and going so far in their accusations that they say I have no other opinons, even though I've post the most and prodded a bunch of people and even had them reply back to me asking about those opinions... if I can't nail THAT as scum what reason even exists in this world?

Might as well just keep lunching lurkers

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

50 that's not what protect means.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

yeah, FF6 was frustrating. I was really sure you were town at first, and even arguing to KB that was the case. And in my drunken ramblings I made the argument to the thread at large that you were both town. But then I had people mad that I didnt come out of the drunken ramble with a scumread for some reason, like the town slapfight option wasnt even possible or something , which got me annoyed, and you still thinking I was scum after I shot the emperor, and just figured welp, I already gave all the benefit of the doubt I could, I really saw you as town for a while but clearly I was super wrong. :v:

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
i'm sad i wasn't around for deadline, things got wild

i'll have some cases up by tomorrow, lot to re-read for day 1 but both these flips should shed some light on who we need to look at more closely

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

Anyway, I already knew yesterday you thought I was town. Are you trying to make me think you must be town too, cause that was your alignment then?

Sometimes (oftentimes, in fact), I say things with no greater purpose, simply because they're what I'm feeling :j:

Bifauxnen posted:

I dont know - maybe that's just your cases often being off from mine that led you to see Quid as so townie. But if I see someone throwing totally wrong stuff around, like saying I was pushing narratives that I said the exact opposite of, then looking like they were trying badly to cover up the slip, and going so far in their accusations that they say I have no other opinons, even though I've post the most and prodded a bunch of people and even had them reply back to me asking about those opinions... if I can't nail THAT as scum what reason even exists in this world?

Nah, you can and should go after the people who you think are scum! Just try to recognize that sometimes the things you're seeing are a result of frustration, not alignment, and that sometimes the best thing you can do for town is to get out of the tunnel. Trust me, I'm just as guilty of it as you are.

OK, onward and upward. I want to re-read the game with Quid/TMs flips, cases coming soon.

quote:

Might as well just keep lunching lurkers

:j::respek::j:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

On to new and interesting things:

My action was delayed by a day because I was in a life-threatening duel. I'm not really sure what to make of that, since I'm still here?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

hey i just wanna start the day by saying that if i said or did anything that hurt someone's feelings yesterday, especially during my tilt, i apologize for it and will endeavor to be a kinder person today

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

also big sorry to my mason partner tired mortiz - i should've trusted you buddy

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Chic Trombone posted:

hey i just wanna start the day by saying that if i said or did anything that hurt someone's feelings yesterday, especially during my tilt, i apologize for it and will endeavor to be a kinder person today

oh nah, not at all, I made sure to gripe about your sudden leap to ranting expletives, but only so people could hopefully see how defensive and scummy I thought it was at the time, not cause I found it super hurtful or nothing haha :cheeky:

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I'm proud of you thread! We're back to the unprompted gentleness thing! The shocking power of kindness. The nurturing dignity of mutual-respect.

Visualize whirled peas. Man.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sorry Tired Moritz and Quidthulhu - you we're both "best girls" in my book.

We lost a cop and an un-cop-able dayvig.

What happened to our cop's protections/protectors last night??

I thought someone would have them covered in a role madness game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

KhediveRex posted:

Visualize whirled peas. Man.

Kindness is good and all but we just killed the Maiden and let the Little Girl die.

We are horrible people for that.

World peace is something that can only be achieved by a town win. Don't act so blasé!

• Locked thread