Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Anyone have a suggestion for a good wireless keyboard? I was looking for a mechanical one a while back which it turns out basically doesn't exist but now my keyboard is starting to die so I might as well see if there's any good wireless boards I can use for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Anyone got recommendations for where I can pick up non-OEM Matias keycaps? I think Matias Quiet Clicks are my favorite switches but it's a pain in the rear end finding keycaps for em. Don't need anything fancy colored or unique legends, just something in different profiles.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bakalakadaka posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good wireless keyboard? I was looking for a mechanical one a while back which it turns out basically doesn't exist but now my keyboard is starting to die so I might as well see if there's any good wireless boards I can use for a bit.

Varmillo and Anne Pro make bluetooth mechanical keyboards.

I have no experience with either but I believe the Anne Pros are the budget option (quality is supposed to be still pretty good).

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Bakalakadaka posted:

I don't have any actual recommendations but I can offer some experience I guess.

The only actual wireless keyboards with good signal strength are rubber dome models. Logitech has a Romer-G mechanical one, but most people, me included, don't like the feel of their switches.

Anne Pro is decent but it feels pretty hollow and you have to be pretty close to the dongle to make sure there's no latency or dropped inputs. Not an issue if you have the bluetooth dongle on a USB hub on your desk or something. Same applies to Drevo bluetooth models as well.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Anyone got recommendations for where I can pick up non-OEM Matias keycaps? I think Matias Quiet Clicks are my favorite switches but it's a pain in the rear end finding keycaps for em. Don't need anything fancy colored or unique legends, just something in different profiles.

Those are Alps switches, alternative keycaps for them are less common than they are for Cherry switches. Pimpmykeyboard has one Alps set (https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-matias-granite/). If you want something less pricey you can search around and there are Chinese-made ones that are cheaper (but less stylish in my opinion, and many of these will probably be the same profile as a Matias, based on the ones on my Tactile Pro). Finally, if you want a vintage vibe, some old Apple keyboards use Alps switches and will have compatible caps. I populated my Atreus with caps from an Apple IIgs.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Just when I thought my Godspeed quest ended when I got the SA kit, then after I thought it ended when I joined the Jelly Key group buy, now that great big jerk at NovelKeys drops this on me

https://www.novelkeys.xyz/product/deskpad-group-buy/

I am finding out that Godspeed was not a keycap set but a way of life

(Mike Sickler is a pretty good businessguy and brings a lot of innovation to this weird hobby; I feel good when I give him money)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
gently caress, I don't even have Godspeed but I'm buying at least one of these. I might buy two. Its exactly the size I've been wanting to step up to for my desk and they're gorgeous.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
There's also this allegedly lower-quality stuff if you want a nice blueprinty look

https://www.novelkeys.xyz/product/b-stock-big-switch-deskpads/

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Constellation I posted:

I don't have any actual recommendations but I can offer some experience I guess.

The only actual wireless keyboards with good signal strength are rubber dome models. Logitech has a Romer-G mechanical one, but most people, me included, don't like the feel of their switches.

Anne Pro is decent but it feels pretty hollow and you have to be pretty close to the dongle to make sure there's no latency or dropped inputs. Not an issue if you have the bluetooth dongle on a USB hub on your desk or something. Same applies to Drevo bluetooth models as well.

If you're going from rubber dome to the Romer's you'll still be ecstatic about having a mechanical switch. The wireless connectivity on it is awesome also.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Any recommendations on a water resistant keyboard? Looks like there are only like 2 I can find. The corsair one and one by razer...

The last two keyboards I have had to put down, died from to much water retention. (spilled water on them)
So thought I might try to not have that happen again, since it seems I am unable to not dump water on them.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I used to kill board that way, you are better off just learning to keep your drink elsewhere as those boards won’t do much if you spill anything that’s not water on them due to being sticky.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want one of these for my garage

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

wolrah posted:

I'm in the middle of a project to resurrect my first computer, an IBM PS/1 from I think 1991. I recall it having a fairly clacky keyboard that my little brother and I unfortunately destroyed many years ago.

My memory of its appearance is most like the Model M2, and the fixed cable agrees with this, but when we destroyed it I recall it being really durable which it seems like the M2s were cheaped out so I'm not sure if this fits.

Anyone else have an idea what would have shipped with a US-market 25 MHz 486 PS/1 "Consultant" in the Windows 3.1 era?

Can't say for certain but it was probably a Model M2. Even that was super durable compared to modern keyboards. If it was some kind of cheap knockoff of the Model M2 then probably none of them exist anymore.

If you want an authentic one you'll probably pay out the nose for it, or you can just buy a Unicomp for $90 and it'll be very nearly the same thing. The Unicomp isn't merely reminiscent of the Model M. It IS the Model M, just with modern USB instead of PS/2 or pre-PS/2 connectors.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I owned that exact PC, and can confirm it was definitely an M2.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://youtu.be/1vbkhVlw0uM

This gave me a completely unexpected blast from the past - the typing demonstration at the end of the video suddenly brought up a lot of memories of my dad working from home as a freelance programmer on his Macintosh II around 1990. I was around five or six years old and I remember wondering how it was possible to type so fast. Man, now I really want one of those boards. Seems they’re really quite rare these days though, at least the first gen ones, and that’s what dad had - looks exactly like I remember it. I gotta call the old man up and ask if he’s got anything stashed away in the basement. I think the computer itself is long gone but he had other Macs with ADB ports later on and I know he kept the keyboard around for a long time because, well, it was amazing.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 31, 2018

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Could anyone recommend good mechanical keyboards that will work when connected through a USB switch?

I'm current using an Azio MGK1 connected to a Plugable 2 port USB switch which in turn is connected to a Windows PC and a Mac laptop. Most of the time I use Synergy to use the keyboard with both computers, but I use the switch for when Synergy is having issues or when I'm using my PC but the Mac is not connected (with Synergy the Mac is the parent computer because its what I use primarily and also because my main pointing device is an Apple trackpad and gestures don't work through Synergy).

My two issues with this setup are:

1) The Azio always defaults to NKRO, but it needs to be on 6KRO to work on the Mac, so every time I connect my computers up I have to push a key combination to put the keyboard in 6KRO.
2) I don't know if its because its a budget keyboard or something to do with the switch, but several times a day the keyboard switches back to NKRO or it will get stuck and just keep inserting a character until I reset the keyboard.

The Azio is my first mechanical keyboard and I got it because it was cheap and I was hesitant to spend more money when I didn't know if I cared about having a mech keyboard. I also didn't know about the KRO stuff (I don't PC game). Now I know I do like them, in particular with blue switches but I'd like to get a keyboard where I don't have to deal with special key presses everytime I hook up my laptop.

I'm trying to stay below $100 and worse case go above $110 but I'm finding that hard because all the sub-$100 keyboards have fancy pants gamer poo poo like macros, programmable whatsits, LEDs, lotion dispensers, NKRO, and other poo poo that seems to not work well on a Mac or through a USB switch (or KVM).

I'd also like to have a customized key set so I can have different color keys but I realized that maybe a moonshot because of my budget. After discovering WASD but being put off by the price I came across Max keyboards, but I've heard their keyboards are lovely and the caps aren't that great either. I was thinking I could get a cheaper mechanical keyboard and then replace the keycaps using Max's custom keycaps, but maybe they aren't worth the price.

So far Das keyboard is the only one I've found that says it will work with a KVM but I though perhaps some of you might have had good experiences with other mechs through a switch? I'm looking for a full size keyboard.

Edit: I believe the Ducky One 2 also will work with KVM via keeping the DIP switches set to 6KRO mode. It's around $99 and has some nice key color choices. I'm not crazy about the font, but if I want a quality keyboard for a decent price I may just have to deal with it.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 2, 2018

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Edit: I believe the Ducky One 2 also will work with KVM via keeping the DIP switches set to 6KRO mode. It's around $99 and has some nice key color choices. I'm not crazy about the font, but if I want a quality keyboard for a decent price I may just have to deal with it.

I don't know about compatibility with KVM switches but I do know Ducky makes nice keyboards, you could do far worse for $100. The keycaps can be replaced but Ducky PBT is some of the thickest you can get in OEM profile.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
Anyone had any experience getting returned keyboards from mechanicalkeyboards.com? I'm tempted by a keyboard they have but since they make buyer's pay return shipping for keyboards I'm a little paranoid of the quality of a return.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Treasure obtained:

Apple Extended Keyboard, the original version, probably from 1990. Unexpectedly, it’s an ANSI Nordic layout. Huh. Badly needs a cleanup but that should be easy enough.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 4, 2018

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

fallenturtle posted:

Anyone had any experience getting returned keyboards from mechanicalkeyboards.com? I'm tempted by a keyboard they have but since they make buyer's pay return shipping for keyboards I'm a little paranoid of the quality of a return.

Why are you under the impression that free return shipping is a common thing?

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Treasure obtained:

Apple Extended Keyboard, the original version, probably from 1990. Unexpectedly, it’s an ANSI Nordic layout. Huh. Badly needs a cleanup but that should be easy enough.

I just found a AEK II on ebay from a domestic seller, very yellowed but fair price so I snapped it up.

.. and a s-video cable. And a mini usb cable. And a teensy 2.0. And some 40 vol hair developer :smith:

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

AgentCow007 posted:

I consider seller pay's return shipping for defective/not as advertised items to be somewhat common. Not if it's just a "I don't like it" situation.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

mewse posted:

I just found a AEK II on ebay from a domestic seller, very yellowed but fair price so I snapped it up.

.. and a s-video cable. And a mini usb cable. And a teensy 2.0. And some 40 vol hair developer :smith:
Mine was free from dad's basement and came with a cable (and one of those Apple one-button mice), so I'm good on that. Ordered a converter from some Japanese guy on GeekHack, and I think I can live with the yellowing. Maybe. We'll see how deep this rabbit hole goes...

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AgentCow007 posted:

Pretty much any serious business does it. Especially ones that want to grow, inspire consumer confidence, and make sales. It's the literal standard for quality ecommerce businesses.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 5, 2018

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
When did Leopold start making FC660Ms with unique PBT colorways in MX Clear? I liked my FC660M with MX Reds (now with GMK Plum) a lot, especially the silenced padding they use, so I ordered another.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Hello all,

I have been looking for the past few weeks and just can't come to a conclusion. I am in need of a new keyboard for work. Been using an old membrane keyboard because it was lying around the house and better than the standard Dell keyboard that my company provides. At home I am using a Logitech G810 and really enjoying it. So let's get to the meat of my problems.

Since this is going to be a work keyboard I am not looking to spend a whole lot, would like to keep it under $70. I am a tax accountant so a 10 key is a must have, or a separate 10 key pad. Cherry MX Brown switches would be ideal since they are the quietest but still provide a tactile feedback. On my current keyboard there are volume controls and those are nice to have but not necessary.

So I found a few keyboards but nothing really screams out "BUY ME!" Here is my list so far:
-Mechanical Eagle
-Corsair K66
-Corsair K55 this one only because it has multiple reviews saying it is a great keyboard...but not mechanical
-RedDragon any variation of this one
-Qisan really like this one but it is white and would prefer black so when I have clients over they don't see a dirty keyboard

Are any of these reliable? Is there a better option that would meet what I am looking for? Do I need to step up my price in order to find something reliable?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and for any tips/advice :D

mewse
May 2, 2006

Redragon boards are all blue switches afaik, bad for office setting.

If you're willing to go to $80 there's the Logitech G610 Orion Brown with MX Browns.

There's the Velocifire VM01 for $40 that has outemu browns.

That mechanicaleagle board has blue switches as well and looks like an abomination.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

Redragon boards are all blue switches afaik, bad for office setting.

If you're willing to go to $80 there's the Logitech G610 Orion Brown with MX Browns.

There's the Velocifire VM01 for $40 that has outemu browns.

That mechanicaleagle board has blue switches as well and looks like an abomination.

The Velocifire looks nice, like the price too.

The first keyboard I looked at was the G610. Have a hard time paying $80 though, or at least justifying it to my wife.

Thank you for these suggestions!

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Megalixir posted:

When did Leopold start making FC660Ms with unique PBT colorways in MX Clear? I liked my FC660M with MX Reds (now with GMK Plum) a lot, especially the silenced padding they use, so I ordered another.

That's a good lookin' board right there.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
“keeb”, please.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Nondescript Van posted:

That's a good lookin' board right there.

I am pretty excited. I had an MX Clear Poker 3 keyboard for a small period of time and loved it.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I love my poker 3 but man it's hard switching back to typing on my TKL keyboards. I love using i-j-k-l as arrow keys sooo much. I love not having to move my right hand to start highlighting and moving lines and stuff, even if it feels a bit ridiculous to have to hold down three modifier keys at a time to get this all done in sublime. It makes me want to move my Poker between work and home but that seems egregious.

Additionally the actuation force feels fine to me now but I still notice how much faster I can type on my TKL with Browns.

I tried using and AutoHotKey script to simulate the 60% experience at home on my TKL, but it doesn't work great with modifier keys, so I can't highlight eg whole words or lines at a time like I can with my poker 3.

Maybe I need to buy another 60%...

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Why are most keycaps not polycarbonate? I tried looking it up and people say it scratches easily, but it actually doesn't in the context of keycaps. We're not talking about lenses here.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I love my Pok3r, but coming from a Poker 2 I've just had a hell of a time getting used to the new cursor locations. Having them over WASD was simpler for me.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

teethgrinder posted:

I love my Pok3r, but coming from a Poker 2 I've just had a hell of a time getting used to the new cursor locations. Having them over WASD was simpler for me.

You could always program it to match. Won't line up with your key cap legends though. This reddit guide might be useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/35uy60/guide_howto_program_your_pok3r_programming_layers/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Fixit posted:

The Velocifire looks nice, like the price too.

The first keyboard I looked at was the G610. Have a hard time paying $80 though, or at least justifying it to my wife.

Thank you for these suggestions!

I have a G610, it would be fine in an office as it looks pretty sober and not at all gaming-oriented. It was pretty much the cheapest one with cherry switches, it's backlit and feels good. Not sure about the other makes with off-brand switches.. I would say a G610 is a decent choice.

The keys are not standard sizes so you wouldn't be able to switch the caps around if you wanted to get into that.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

TheFluff posted:

Mine was free from dad's basement and came with a cable (and one of those Apple one-button mice), so I'm good on that. Ordered a converter from some Japanese guy on GeekHack, and I think I can live with the yellowing. Maybe. We'll see how deep this rabbit hole goes...

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-learn-how-whiten-your-yellowed-plastic-gadgets

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

I have a G610, it would be fine in an office as it looks pretty sober and not at all gaming-oriented. It was pretty much the cheapest one with cherry switches, it's backlit and feels good. Not sure about the other makes with off-brand switches.. I would say a G610 is a decent choice.

The keys are not standard sizes so you wouldn't be able to switch the caps around if you wanted to get into that.

That is one thing I have never done, although I am pretty new to mechanical keyboards. I see the appeal for having a color schemed keyboard match your computer, but why the way out there key caps? Like these ones. I don't understand how those would function.

I may be going with the G610. I always come back to it, plus I like my G810. I don't know how the Romer switches differ from cherry mx though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fixit posted:

That is one thing I have never done, although I am pretty new to mechanical keyboards. I see the appeal for having a color schemed keyboard match your computer, but why the way out there key caps? Like these ones. I don't understand how those would function.

I may be going with the G610. I always come back to it, plus I like my G810. I don't know how the Romer switches differ from cherry mx though.

Artisan caps are loving stupid.

Romer-G switches were designed by omron/logitech so that they can have an LED in the center of the switch. They have dual contacts so in theory they are more reliable than other switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbW4OT7aDuA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

This also makes the plastic more brittle after you’re done.