Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's getting pretty good now. I wonder what + and the new chipset will do for ram speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
8ghz rams when, geil???

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Another day, another Megaherz. :)

With almost every BIOS update I get to bump the RAM speed, which up until today I ran at 3200 but the latest update allows me to run it at 3333 MHz. Still not the full bottle yet, though I totally splurged out on this and went for 32 gigs of 3600 MHz sticks! :)

But does it actually run the os at that speed? :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKnLvqjquw

Der8auer puts an EPYC into a Threadripper board.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Prescription Combs posted:

But does it actually run the os at that speed? :v:

You'd be surprised, but it does. :)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWKnLvqjquw

Der8auer puts an EPYC into a Threadripper board.

dude is nuts, randomly taping off pads to narrow down the sense pin

love him

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

You'd be surprised, but it does. :)

Nice! What board are you running? :downs:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 29, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Prescription Combs posted:

Nice! What board are you running?
Right there on the bios, the asus x370-pro

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

redeyes posted:

dude is nuts, randomly taping off pads to narrow down the sense pin

love him

Wouldn't take more than 10 or so tries to narrow it down if you just cut in half each time. That said, if you can get a TR 1950x to work in a workstation Epyc motherboard that has unborked IOMMU and ECC support, I could see them being pretty kickass for certain kinds of simulation work, the kind where the sim doesn't scale well past about 16-24 cores, so having tons of Ghz to throw at it would work nicely.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Wouldn't take more than 10 or so tries to narrow it down if you just cut in half each time. That said, if you can get a TR 1950x to work in a workstation Epyc motherboard that has unborked IOMMU and ECC support, I could see them being pretty kickass for certain kinds of simulation work, the kind where the sim doesn't scale well past about 16-24 cores, so having tons of Ghz to throw at it would work nicely.

IOMMU and ECC work properly with TR. Pretty sure the IOMMU problem was a known issue with KVM.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a virtualized Win 10 overtop KVM or whatever the latest and greatest is these days. Anyone have a link or two to some guides? What's the best VM to run on Linux these days for GPU(Nvidia)/Audio passthrough?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Stanley Pain posted:

IOMMU and ECC work properly with TR. Pretty sure the IOMMU problem was a known issue with KVM.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a virtualized Win 10 overtop KVM or whatever the latest and greatest is these days. Anyone have a link or two to some guides? What's the best VM to run on Linux these days for GPU(Nvidia)/Audio passthrough?

Not really? Win 10 and Server 2012 won't boot if you have IOMMU enabled. I had to disable it to get it to do more than sit on the black loading screen. Perhaps they fixed it in recent BIOSes, I'll have to shut everything down and check again.

ECC works great, and makes overclocking RAM super easy, since you can run the test while watching the system log for the ECC errors to report themselves.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's absolutely criminal that ecc isn't mandatory in 2018 yet under all specs.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I was kinda hoping for a Asrock motherboard. :) SuperMicro makes nice boards, but they are very expensive. Seems like a second ThreadRipper might be wiser.

I did find another board but didn't feel it was worth mentioning because it'll come pre-stained from the factory in the form of the letters M, S and I in that order.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Not really? Win 10 and Server 2012 won't boot if you have IOMMU enabled. I had to disable it to get it to do more than sit on the black loading screen. Perhaps they fixed it in recent BIOSes, I'll have to shut everything down and check again.

ECC works great, and makes overclocking RAM super easy, since you can run the test while watching the system log for the ECC errors to report themselves.

Blank screen is still probably a KVM issue as there are patches to the kernel + a userland program to re-connect the device if it disconnects the GPU, or a shutdown of the VM causes a problem with D0-D3 state transitions. I mean, it still could be a platform wide PCI-E problem. I remember the old NPT problem which turned out to be a KVM bug. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the case here as well.

If your issue is the D0-D3 state bug where lspci -v shows FF as the header for the guest GPU https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/7slj72/threadripper_reset_patch/ has your fix.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Nono, I'm running Server 2016 as the hypervisor, and it really doesn't like it for some reason. Hyper-V is what work uses, and it's what I use because it works well enough for me, at least until now.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nono, I'm running Server 2016 as the hypervisor, and it really doesn't like it for some reason. Hyper-V is what work uses, and it's what I use because it works well enough for me, at least until now.

Ah,

RIP I guess :(

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Stanley Pain posted:

Ah,

RIP I guess :(

Yep, I just wanna be able to feed my SAS controller and tape deck directly through to the VM, instead of needing this hilarious round robin of tape drive to tape redirector to isci target to VM side thing. But we shall see.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yep, I just wanna be able to feed my SAS controller and tape deck directly through to the VM, instead of needing this hilarious round robin of tape drive to tape redirector to isci target to VM side thing. But we shall see.

How many TB of Linux ISOs are you backing up now? :shobon: I snagged 8 x 10TB HDDs over black friday. :q:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Stanley Pain posted:

How many TB of Linux ISOs are you backing up now? :shobon: I snagged 8 x 10TB HDDs over black friday. :q:

Currently? Like 50TB-ish?

Edit: I'm lusting hard after the new LTO-8 tapes. 12TB per tape.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, since we have a real-world example of it, if you wanted an example of how AMD could dodge the poison pill in their x86 license:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/29/vmw...ic-markets.html

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, since we have a real-world example of it, if you wanted an example of how AMD could dodge the poison pill in their x86 license:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/29/vmw...ic-markets.html

a. reverse-mergers only work between a private company and a public one, so the private company would need to wealthy enough to buy AMD in a reverse merger, then subsequently buy Company X that you want to merge AMD with.

b. the license agreement specifically defines by ownership of the company such that any entity owning more than 50% of the company constitutes a Change of Control. AMD had to get clever just to make that work with just the GloFo spinoff (by splitting GloFo's voting rights and assets differently), you'd need to be way more clever to go the other direction.

the x86 license deal isn't impossible to evade, just fantastically expensive in legal bullshit.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Zen+ to have meltown/spectre microcode patches out of box at launch. Zen2 will have fixes baked into uarch or what they call "hardened."

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Isn't Zen meltdown proof anyway?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Isn't Zen meltdown proof anyway?

Yep, it's only Spectre that Zen is vulnerable to, and only somewhat as the mitigation of such a vulnerability apparently costs next to nothing, and well Spectre is harder to exploit to begin with.

Also, earnings report dropped http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amd-reports-fourth-quarter-and-annual-2017-financial-results

They beat their expectations, second quarter of GAAP profitability in years, and it's the weakest quarter as well. Looking to see AMD break 100-150m in profitability soon.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is there a reason AMD didn't release 6 and 8 core desktop APUs? Small market?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Khorne posted:

Is there a reason AMD didn't release 6 and 8 core desktop APUs? Small market?

The silicon only has one CCX, so 4 cores in the max. An 8 core + 11 Vega CUs APU would likely be a big chunk of silicon that would require a high price and high TDP, and then you run into the small market problem. How many people are willing to spend $400+ on an 8 core APU with mediocre built in graphics and lower clocks than the $300 variant without the GPU?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cygni posted:

The silicon only has one CCX, so 4 cores in the max. An 8 core + 11 Vega CUs APU would likely be a big chunk of silicon that would require a high price and high TDP, and then you run into the small market problem. How many people are willing to spend $400+ on an 8 core APU with mediocre built in graphics and lower clocks than the $300 variant without the GPU?
I didn't know that other part. The 4 core part is priced aggressively and seems nice, but the problem is it has 4 cores. I'm building a workstation to run the linux on and I'll just use my old gtx 670 I guess.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
with a 10-40W TDP, most of these things are going to end up in ultrabooks, where 4 cores is a huge upgrade over what you're currently getting (two :v:)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Trip Report: gently caress Windows Server 2016, and gently caress needing 1703 to get IOMMU to play nice with AMD. Server Core is the loving devil and god help anyone who has to use it outside of huge environments.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Trip Report: gently caress Windows Server 2016, and gently caress needing 1703 to get IOMMU to play nice with AMD. Server Core is the loving devil and god help anyone who has to use it outside of huge environments.

Just use Linux and install Windows as a VM on KVM. Since server 2008R2, Windows server has become a shitshow in my opinion. ( 2012R2 is okay, but whoever thought it would be a good idea to have the 8.1 desktop on a server where you need to mouse in the left bottom corner in an RDP session to access options needs to be fired. )

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
My sister has a coworker who apparently took out a loan for $12k this xmas to "invest". :rip:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Paul MaudDib posted:

My sister has a coworker who apparently took out a loan for $12k this xmas to "invest". :rip:

Invest in what? Property? Buttcoins? AMD stock?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Buttcoins.

Sorry, wrong thread, meant to post that in the crypto thread.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 3, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of buttcoins: Using Threadripper to mine.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/02/01/threadripper_pays_for_itself_using_cryptocurrency_mining

I have conflicting opinions. On the one hand, AMD sells through their silicon. On the other, allegedly, _AMD PITCHED THE ARTICLE PREMISE TO [H]_.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/02/01/threadripper_pays_for_itself_using_cryptocurrency_mining

I have conflicting opinions. On the one hand, AMD sells through their silicon. On the other, allegedly, _AMD PITCHED THE ARTICLE PREMISE TO [H]_.

loving LOL

If they can ramp up production? This owns.
If not.....

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone heard of these ASUS Crosshair issues with Ryzen before?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

personally i cant wait for ryzen APU clusters being used for mining

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Does he say which firmware he's running on/which ones hes tried? IIRC ASUS has pushed multiple beta and maybe even a release firmware update out with hilariously unsafe defaults (like 1.8v SOC!!!) They? or maybe another company also recently pushed out older fw with a new name.

Every time you update fw it's important to double check voltages, they aren't the only company to have made the 1.8v soc mistake. Never saw anything official about this but it was supposedly the result of some sort of reference versioning mismatch from AMD

Also, my 2x16 CL153000 Corsair LPX (SK Hynix) happily runs at 16/22/22/22/53 3200 with the latest fw on this AX370 Gaming 5. I was going way out of my way trying to lock something down with that ryzen timing calculator, turns out you can just turn XMP off, set the frequency to 3200, leave all of the timings to auto, and only adjust ProcODT/SOC/DRAM voltages (80/1.125/1.4)

I have 4x8 CL163200 Corsair in my Monero box that I will swap out and try later, some people have gotten two of these to 3600.

Was skeptical of the benefit, but jumping from 2933 to 3200 was good for 550 points on Firestrike Combined. Max framerates haven't changed all that much, but worst case minimums are ~7.5% higher. I feel like I said the exact same thing when I jumped from 2666 to 2933. I'm lowkey impressed they managed to get ram compatibility to this point only a year in

I had originally chosen the Gaming 5 because it's like, one of 3 boards with a clock generator, but Gigabyte still hasn't given us access to it via firmware :sigh:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

1920x has identical hashing performance to 1950x at 3/4 the price because the consumer chips only have 32MB L3 cache. If epyc were cheaper, the 16 core 64MB L3 cache variant would have double the hash rate of either. If the 1900x had 32MB L3 cache it too would have identical performance to the 1950x for mining, but it doesn't.

I don't write shill tech review articles or like the pointless mining of crypto, but I'm sure someone here will try to justify buying an x399 system over an r7 based on this bridging the gap. You need to make ($600+$330-$270-$90) $630 dollars mining to bridge the gap. Not doing the math on that, but assuming stable anything from crypto is a bad bet and it'd take somewhere between 6 and 12 months at current rates. With these articles being printed, it's going to never pay off.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Dear amd please do a zen for graphics ie replace GCN wholesale with your new cash money nvidia needs a real competitor

Thanks in advance