Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IMSA TV down for anybody else?

[edit] the IMSA Official site isn't working for me (or showing any of the other in-car cameras) but the stream is working at Radio Le Mans' link: http://www.radiolemans.co/imsa-live-video-stream/

harperdc fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hot take the Ford GTLM is better looking than the C7R

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
:frogsiren: RAIN :frogsiren:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ford GTLM just passed a prototype for position in the wet

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Chuck Calrissian is seriously impressing in the wet/mixed conditions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Ford GTLM just passed a prototype for position in the wet

Bourdais was setting fastest laps in the 66 Ford for a bit, lol. the Radio Le Mans call was really good, Johnny Mowlem (who is back retired this week) was hammering home that you'd rather be in a GT than the prototypes during the rain (more mechanical grip and less aero dependence, which goes away with lower speeds in the wet).

BMW M8 25 just chewed up the right-front rain tire, no caution though.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Is this the right thread for 24 hours at Daytona? What just happened with this "nuclear rule"? A five minute penalty? he broadcasters sound confused.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SpitztheGreat posted:

Is this the right thread for 24 hours at Daytona? What just happened with this "nuclear rule"? A five minute penalty? he broadcasters sound confused.

Yes, and it's basically "you sandbagged too much, take a timeout."

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Fueling rate too fast, according to Land's account of the ruling.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I don't get to watch the 24 hours of Daytona very often, so I'm very interested in this ruling. As they said, you don't throw down this ruling unless you have concrete evidence, but I do want to hear what their evidence is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like Alonso the binman tried to take a shortcut

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

SpitztheGreat posted:

So one of the Balance of Performance things is to make pitstops take roughly the same amount of time in theory. One of the things they do is a restrictor in the fuel rig that slows the fuelling.
The Audi that got nailed was fuelling too fast.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's not too surprising that a team caught tampering with their fuelling system would get the book thrown at them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

njsykora posted:

It's not too surprising that a team caught tampering with their fuelling system would get the book thrown at them.

Racer's Hour 10 write-up had comment and details on this

quote:

The Land Audi was directed to pit lane by IMSA to serve a stop-plus five-minute penalty for, according to team owner Christian Land, exceeding the minimum refueling time expected for the German coupe. With the series applying Balance of Performance restrictions to more than just the cars – refueling rigs are also subject to BoP with the use of differing flow restrictors to equalize the time it takes to fill each model – Land told Radio Le Mans the reduced time his No.29 has been spending on pit lane was reported as the reason for the violation.

Emphasis mine. As Schlesische said, there's a Balance of Performance equalization for the GT Daytona class, and while that applies to power, weight, etc., it also applies to how long it takes the teams to refuel. The Land team boss insists they've done nothing wrong, but clearly they're faster than the rules state...

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Oh Graham :allears:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Screw that PR guy from Continental Tire who was on the telecast around 11am.

"HERPADERP our tires are the best tires so it's probably the drivers pushing them too hard for all these blowouts on the same class of car!"

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
loving fox feed that imsa tv is using is staring at the prototype leader and the 2 fords that arent battling when gtd is 2 seconds apart for the lead

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CBJSprague24 posted:

"HERPADERP our tires are the best tires so it's probably the drivers pushing them too hard for all these blowouts on the same class of car!"

The Michelins are so consistently better than the Contis it's loving sad. GTLM has the best tires of any class.

Edit: best part of the conti guy was his "well, the team's are exceeding our specs." "WTR isn't, and they've had more issues than amyone." "Yes, well....."

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Land just lost their last slick tire. had to put a wet tire on the right rear

e: they went back and put a slick on, maybe they just hosed up

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 28, 2018

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bad winners all around

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Good run for the CORE dudes though. Another hour or so and they mighta won.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Worst P winner. Awesome GTLM winner. Don't care in the least about GTD honestly.

Give everyone Michelins for gently caress sake.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
That was a pretty disappointing 24 overall, there was more dumb poo poo happening actual good moments. Constant tire problems in the right rear that nobody can figure out, Cadillacs still fast enough to go 1-2 despite their engines trying to self-destruct, only half the GTLM cars were competitive and the Fords were clearly way better than anyone else, Land drawing that huge penalty, both Nissans going from strong at the end of last year to double DNFs, no yellow flags to offset the shaky early BoP, Mazda going to all the trouble of the Joest partnership to end up exactly where they started, Juan Pablo trying to punt GTD cars off the track again...

I know Daytona is an aberration of a track and doesn't always forecast the whole season, but I hope things get a lot more interesting than this at Sebring and beyond.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wasn't a nail biter of a race like its been a few times the last few years, but I liked the long green flag runs. Every endurance race these days seems to be plagued with yellows taking like half of the total time, so it was cool to see just a clean green race with actual endurance mattering. Had to survive to win.

I also don't think BoP was as bad as it was even last year. Caddys and Acuras in P, Ford and Ferrari in GTLM, def were a step above, but were talking like 4-tenths. That small difference is magnified when there are no cautions. It's hard to get a read on the Nissans, Mazdas, and BMWs cause they spent most of the race having issues, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The DPi car hip-checking the Shank car then almost getting taken out by it was a scary little moment.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cygni posted:

Wasn't a nail biter of a race like its been a few times the last few years, but I liked the long green flag runs. Every endurance race these days seems to be plagued with yellows taking like half of the total time, so it was cool to see just a clean green race with actual endurance mattering. Had to survive to win.

I also don't think BoP was as bad as it was even last year. Caddys and Acuras in P, Ford and Ferrari in GTLM, def were a step above, but were talking like 4-tenths. That small difference is magnified when there are no cautions. It's hard to get a read on the Nissans, Mazdas, and BMWs cause they spent most of the race having issues, too.

On the balance of it, realistically Nissan should really have all these problems sorted, the BMWs were *miles* off the pace because they prolly got BoP'd to hell and Mazda managed to overcome the Joest part of the team.

As someone who watched (most of) Le Mans and perused WEC last year, the GTE BoP at Daytona was terribad; the Fords were taking like 4 tenths *a lap* which is a huge advantage in an enduro and the BMWs and (ominously, considering how they consistently they got screwed last year) the Porsches were in dire straits. LMP2/DPI was boring as gently caress, you knew who was going to win after the first Yellow-Green sequence where the Caddies just zoomed away. They're ridiculously too good, and early appearances suggest they're gonna romp away with the championship again.

GTD was the fun race to watch, the BoP seems to have been just about on the money there (even if good Audi didn't win).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Penske-Acuras weren’t too bad.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't watch the last half because the Imsa stream kept crapping out on me :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Human Grand Prix posted:

The Penske-Acuras weren’t too bad.

By long beach I see them being in contention. Those cars were good.

And in GTLM, the Ford's are indeed monsters. Corvette can run with them normally, as can Ferrari. Porsche can suck a gently caress and it made me so happy seeing Pilet and Tandy struggle, and BMW needs to quit loving around and either build a real car or drop. If you BoP everyone down to their level, it's like a super expensive GTD race.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

And in GTLM, the Ford's are indeed monsters. Corvette can run with them normally, as can Ferrari. Porsche can suck a gently caress and it made me so happy seeing Pilet and Tandy struggle, and BMW needs to quit loving around and either build a real car or drop. If you BoP everyone down to their level, it's like a super expensive GTD race.

that was the first race for the new BMW, give them some credit. and it's not the same case as the Acura LMPs, it's much harder -- DPi is the case where the only big "differences" from global P2 to the specific DPi were engine (which has been run before and well established) and some aero bits (to make it look like the brand but not really have a major impact). The chassis and such has already been sorted.

I'm most curious how the tire-related stuff will shake out. I wonder if these DPis are running more downforce this year; if anybody really is running bad camber/pressures; or if it's just a bad batch or really random bad luck. Sounds like it's a bad batch and certain teams (hi, Wayne Taylor) having worse luck.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

harperdc posted:

that was the first race for the new BMW, give them some credit. and it's not the same case as the Acura LMPs, it's much harder -- DPi is the case where the only big "differences" from global P2 to the specific DPi were engine (which has been run before and well established) and some aero bits (to make it look like the brand but not really have a major impact). The chassis and such has already been sorted.

There's no reason not to give the BMWs credit for the reliability of the cars, which was impressive for a first time outing, but they already got a poo poo ton of favorable BoP adjustments after the Roar and they still were way off the pace. It comes out in the wash anyway, just like how the M6 GTLM was kind of crappy for a long time but eventually got so many breaks that it became competitive at the end of last year, but it's a bad look for a manufacturer to show up with a brand new car that is a non-entity in the actual race. You want your hot new global race car to come out, look stupidly fast, and eventually get knocked back down to earth by BoP adjustments- but hopefully not before winning a few races.

Anyway I think the Fords will look a lot closer to the rest of the field at Sebring and beyond. The GT was built to win at Le Mans and those strengths play particularly well at Daytona.

No doubt Penske is going to be competitive this year. Not that anyone expected any less, but they showed up fully formed and ready to fight. JPM needs to get a loving grip though and respect the GTD traffic or he's going to end up undermining his team through penalties, or worse.

Joest Mazda was really just embarrassing. I still can't believe they overhauled the whole car and program and ended up with the archetypal contemporary Mazda endurance race performance: one car on fire, the other limping along until it goes into the garage for good, and punctuated with horrible pit lane mistakes along the way. I doubt the Riley-Multimatic chassis is going anywhere before the 2022 FIA LMP2 regulations are written, but if I'm running that program, I'm already starting the preliminaries on finding a new engine partner for next year or begging the mothership to do a feasibility study on building a race engine in-house. Even if they somehow manage to find a way to get the AER 2.0T to deliver the performance they ask of it with acceptable reliability this year, how much more can you ask of it the next year when all the competition ups their games again?

an oddly awful oud fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 30, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

gently caress Ford, they came on in with a purpose built GT racing car (as compared to Corvette, Aston Martin and arguably Porsche and Ferrari), if they get obliterated by the BoPhammer - as they loving should - they've only got themselves to blame. gently caress Porsche too, they swan on in to Le Mans every single loving time like "yeah boize, we back now" and every single loving time Le Mans goes "<notice me Porsche-senpai>".
The Corvette (during last year's Le Mans they were talking about it being a send off for the C7.R and the old A-M Vantage) could sort of run with the Ford when it'd been moderately BoP'd, the Ferrari (which also needs moderate BoP'ing) absolutely can, the old Aston (I'm like 90% sure they're bringing new ones from 2018-on) was either king of the BoP or the baseline.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought coming into a GT/touring car/rally series with a homologation special was supposed to be cool unless we all hate the Delta Integrale now

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought coming into a GT/touring car/rally series with a homologation special was supposed to be cool unless we all hate the Delta Integrale now

The Delta Integrale existed in a magical time before Balance of Performance.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They are all purpose built silhouette racecars on a BOP budget, and only 1 of them is new this year. If they aren’t equal, it’s a BOP problem.

The Ford program upped the bar in GTLM for sure, and it’s design was far more progressive than the rest of the field was ready for (plus they played the sandbag game perfectly at launch), but the 488, new 911, and M8 are all playing the same game now. None of them really have anything to do with the street version.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Today at work I remembered to put in to have Nüburgring and Le Mans off

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've listened to the radio broadcast for the 1992 Indy 500 & one of the funniest things was when the Goodyear guy was asked about bad tire compounds & he just blasted a bunch of rookies trying too hard. Then Fittipaldi, Mears & Mario wrecked within 10 minutes of each other & he was all "Well... maybe it's a bit cold."

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

*whole lot of words*

See I still remember when cars weren’t expected to be “white hot” in their first loving race, that is a much more recent development. And especially in GTLM, with a new car? No chance. BoP might have helped the Fords, but it didn’t hurt the BMW.

The Mazdas were disappointing, yes. That I agree on. They’ve had extensive time to test and refine, and to be that far off — and unreliable — is a bad sign.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Especially as they skipped the last 3 races of 2017 literally to avoid this scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

harperdc posted:

See I still remember when cars weren’t expected to be “white hot” in their first loving race, that is a much more recent development. And especially in GTLM, with a new car? No chance. BoP might have helped the Fords, but it didn’t hurt the BMW.

The Mazdas were disappointing, yes. That I agree on. They’ve had extensive time to test and refine, and to be that far off — and unreliable — is a bad sign.

BMW has had enough experience that the car shouldn't be a shitshow. The M6 sucked, the M8 is fat and sucks.

Ford pushed the envelope, and destroys at long high power tracks because that's what the car is meant for, period. And it worked on a fan level too, I talk to a lot of people who only got interested in IMSA/sportscars when that car hit the track a couple years ago.