Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Serifina posted:

Yeah, I lost a bunch of iron plates to it. See here: https://github.com/Azanor/thaumcraft-beta/issues/84
Awesome, thanks. Didn't realize a patched version was already out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Yeah but thats just a copy. Anyone can copy a mod, but only Eloraam could come up with the frames in the first place. If she came back I'm sure it wouldn't be to make a direct clone of Red Power, it would be to make some cool new better thing. We could finally have a use for Tungsten Ore!

More new things that lag like crazy and corrupt worlds!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

brb making a mod that sends 1Mb+ network traffic 20 times a second

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Really miss giant 10x10 chunks of basalt from those radical shield volcanoes that spawn everywhere with a single lava source block at the center.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

brb making a mod that sends 1Mb+ network traffic 20 times a second

*rutibex voice* this is the optimal version of minecraft and nothing afterwards is worth it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Joestar posted:

*rutibex voice* this is the optimal version of minecraft and nothing afterwards is worth it

Don't put words in my mouth. I make the claim that beta 1.2.5 singleplayer is the best version of Minecraft. There is no dang network traffic in the single player version! Its the best version because it is a self contained single player game, rather than the hack of multiplayer mode we enjoy to this day. You could run a 1.2.5 mega mod pack on 512mb of RAM.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
On the other hand one of my absolute favourite things added in later versions of Minecraft was the ability to open chat and then alt-tab out instead of having to sit in an inventory in order to alt-tab without pausing the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rutibex posted:

You could run a 1.2.5 mega mod pack on 512mb of RAM.

I'm going to dispute that as being something you're viewing from rose coloured glasses that's covered in a healthy layer of bullshit. Tekkit Classic (1.2.5 modpack) was minimum 1 GB and recommended at least 2 GB to be smooth before hitting post-scarcity and loads of automation. And that's without realizing that certain things like using a lot of hoppers made it laggy (because at that point they were unoptimized and hit up the tickrate by checking each index of an inventory it's pointing to to see if it can stick something into it).

So uh, again, you're wrong.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm going to dispute that as being something you're viewing from rose coloured glasses that's covered in a healthy layer of bullshit. Tekkit Classic (1.2.5 modpack) was minimum 1 GB and recommended at least 2 GB to be smooth before hitting post-scarcity and loads of automation. And that's without realizing that certain things like using a lot of hoppers made it laggy (because at that point they were unoptimized and hit up the tickrate by checking each index of an inventory it's pointing to to see if it can stick something into it).

So uh, again, you're wrong.

Tekkit is the multiplayer version of the Technic Pack. Which is why its performance sucks!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

Tekkit is the multiplayer version of the Technic Pack. Which is why its performance sucks!

Or maybe it's performance sucks because Java, notchcode, and you have a potato.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Multi-player does not inflate ram or cpu requirements, except to the extent that more people are in a single area therefore more stuff. In fact in most cases it reduces requirements because the client is freed from doing a lot of work it has to do when it also has to do the server work.

You disputed the network traffic comment by saying that only mattered in multi-player, but that just shows you don't know how it works. In single player all that same work had to happen, and all that same data had to be sent, between the local client and local server.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vib Rib posted:

Really miss giant 10x10 chunks of basalt from those radical shield volcanoes that spawn everywhere with a single lava source block at the center.

yeah, i liked redpower but worldgen was really dumb imo

and of course it had to be turned on because it had some custom ores without which half of the mod was useless

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Today in goddamn weird modded bugs: I'm playing the ATLauncher pack Per Fabrica ad Astra, basically terrafirmacraft with a bunch of tech mods, work your way up from stone tools to oil refineries and rockets, and I couldn't get my coke oven to accept logs for anything. Even rebuilt it, no luck. So I exited the game entirely and the launcher and relaunched it and suddenly the coke oven started accepting logs again. :wtc:

This was after I'd done a 6k exploration trek up north to find Garnierite and kept having to exit to menu and reload the game because it was freezing for a few seconds when generating new chunks, I guess from chunk overload or something.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

Multi-player does not inflate ram or cpu requirements, except to the extent that more people are in a single area therefore more stuff. In fact in most cases it reduces requirements because the client is freed from doing a lot of work it has to do when it also has to do the server work.

You disputed the network traffic comment by saying that only mattered in multi-player, but that just shows you don't know how it works. In single player all that same work had to happen, and all that same data had to be sent, between the local client and local server.

There was no "local server" in 1.2.5, that was a hack introduced in 1.3.1. Before 1.3.1 minecraft used half as much ram and resources for the single player game, because it wasn't running a multiplayer server too. I can play Technic 1.2.5 on a netbook!
https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.3.1

quote:

Servers

Made singleplayer internally use a multiplayer server.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A "hack" which was a deliberate architecture change that made the game perform better

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also note in the same patch notes:

quote:

Performance

Reduced CPU, RAM & bandwidth usage.
Accelerated chunk loading.
Decreased lag spike frequency.
Made the Nether less laggy.
Decreased unnecessary world updates.

Give me some loving hard facts or I'm going to be using your same source to debunk you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sage Grimm posted:

Give me some loving hard facts or I'm going to be using your same source to debunk you.

Alright heres some hard facts for you, 1.2.5 is the last version that supports the best creature mod in Minecraft history, Mo Creeps and Weirdos :colbert:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...ot-machines-old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSwMkW35N74

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
1.2 modpacks were the last I remember that had <50 mods, and most were simple ~10 recipe mods that added some simple block functionality you wanted to have in vanilla but didn't, or super basic stuff like early versions of IC2 or buildcraft.

Huge modpacks with a few giant mods in them that added another vanilla amount of content themselves came later.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I am interested in why the ram requirements are so crazy nowadays.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also,

i swear i don't have a problem

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

I am interested in why the ram requirements are so crazy nowadays.

The issue is two-fold.
First issue is, some of these mods have been in development for 5+ years now, they bring huge amounts of content to the game. Twilight forest alone adds a dimension with more varied mechanics in it than most of the vanilla game, and that's not even considered a giant mod these days I think. It barely even gets mentioned in here, but is still in most modpacks.

Second issue is, early on when forge was much smaller, mods also hacked the base game directly when they could easily get away with it, since forge often didn't support the functionality they wanted. This was also the reason why running some mod combos would just crash your game, they'd try to change the same file or similar issues.

These days, forge has an api for almost any game mechanic you can imagine, so mods extend its classes instead of hacking the game files directly. Since these classes have to support a giant variety of things modders want, they're not very small from the getgo, and each time they're used by a mod, that's another copy of that class' code in your ram, each time with slightly different parameters, for every game mechanic, every ticking block, etc.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, a lot of mod developers are amateurs with not much programming experience. Nothing wrong with that -- it just has a cost associated with it in terms of performance.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

For a different topic: I'm finally getting a chance to mess around with the new Thermal Expansion stuff. For compression dynamos, is there any benefit to using a coolant other than water?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
We hate the 1.6.4 thermal expansion. If you have pipes across a chunk border it fails due to the network calculation using a non thread safe global static that is cleared down on each chunk

Also we have hexxit on 1.5.2 running on 1gb ram and used to run 1.2.5 tekkit classic on 512mb with no problems

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
can someone tell me what pack to play? I haven't really played minecraft since blightfall it was so fun and nothing as stable and awesome has come out since then, what packs have the newest thaumcraft in them?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

We hate the 1.6.4 thermal expansion. If you have pipes across a chunk border it fails due to the network calculation using a non thread safe global static that is cleared down on each chunk

Also we have hexxit on 1.5.2 running on 1gb ram and used to run 1.2.5 tekkit classic on 512mb with no problems

Hexxit was a very small pack and reasons for older versions of forge taking less memory are listed above. And new packs aren't even bad as long as you don't use stupidly huge ones. The server I'm hosting doesn't even use 3GB with a bunch of players.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

For a different topic: I'm finally getting a chance to mess around with the new Thermal Expansion stuff. For compression dynamos, is there any benefit to using a coolant other than water?

Only difference is how long the coolant lasts right now. But given that water's easy free and infinite, there's no reason to use anything else in dynamos right now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

Only difference is how long the coolant lasts right now. But given that water's easy free and infinite, there's no reason to use anything else in dynamos right now.

Ah, okay, that's what I thought. It looks like the type of coolant matters more for thermal mediators.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can someone tell me what pack to play? I haven't really played minecraft since blightfall it was so fun and nothing as stable and awesome has come out since then, what packs have the newest thaumcraft in them?

It's been thrown into All The Mods 3's 1.10 version but it's days old, so most people are playing it in custom packs.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

If you're still playing MS2, you'll have to kill 20-something of them to get all the shards you need for the Atomic Multiplier. Although I haven't played in quite a few patches and reportedly he rebalanced the creative items (again), so maybe it's less now. You need a hell of a lot of chaos to get through the endgame. It's the main reason to get the Multiplier, at which point you just dunk them in there and spend a bunch of RF to make more.

Trick is to just never stop moving more than a couple seconds at a time. If you need longer than that to take out a crystal or whatever, just make another lap of the island and shoot at it when you come back.When I did it in 1.10, you could teleport out without resetting their health. Just keep an eye out for the beams connecting to him; those let you immediately identify when a crystal respawned.

Also pack a couple fully upgraded flux capacitors. They give you a lot more breathing room to live through it even if you do eat a blue fireball volley or two.

Well. I logged back in to find him at about 15% hp. Took anotehr 20 mins before i managed to hit him back to 0. This time he died with no black screen of death.

And yeah, i was teleporting home, regening shields and porting right back in (LOL).

The end is so much garbage though, he respawns the healing becons and stays far away.

As for chaos shards, ive been dropping those shards dropped from everything (mobs, plants you name it) into my light matter freezer and getting the tiny chaos shards, 9 make a larger shard, i think 9 of those then make a propper shard. So i have a few hundred shards already?

Oh, and crux plants in a flawless greenhouse is an unrecoverable crash, so dont do it. I couldnt even get mcedit to remove the cause and had to roll back to a backup.

However, i am still hunting dragons for hearts. For this i make my rftools dimension. The dragons then destroy my platform and my matter reciever.
How do i get to my dimension then? I have just made my advanced dislocator, will that work?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
You can inject a new matter receiver with the dimension editor.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

However, i am still hunting dragons for hearts. For this i make my rftools dimension. The dragons then destroy my platform and my matter reciever.
How do i get to my dimension then? I have just made my advanced dislocator, will that work?

Advanced dislocator works just fine.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have another shader question; when I'm outside, the shadows keep jumping around when the day. Is that a common problem, and if it is how do I get it to stop?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Drown yourself in the trackless sands and face the fear that has gripped your world

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
By the time you're killing chaos dragons, making the fancy DE teleporter thing should be trivial, too, and it doesn't require putting teleporter pads by your destinations. You need ender pearls to fuel it, but that late in the game you probably have literally thousands of those banked by now.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Has anyone been able to unlock Fortress Armor and Infused Tools in the new Thaumcraft? I can't open that branch

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Has anyone been able to unlock Fortress Armor and Infused Tools in the new Thaumcraft? I can't open that branch

They're currently locked behind the alchemy research for ingots and plates being completed (Metallurgy), which itself requires voidmetal, but should be unlocked earlier.

https://github.com/Azanor/thaumcraft-beta/issues/153

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 30, 2018

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
Can you slap the new thaumcraft onto an existing world and get by? Are there ores/crystals that'll need a newly-genned area, or is it going to crap out without a brand new world?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CheetoRamen posted:

Can you slap the new thaumcraft onto an existing world and get by? Are there ores/crystals that'll need a newly-genned area, or is it going to crap out without a brand new world?

It's got worldgen so yes, ores, crystals, trees and magical forest biomes will need new chunks but I'm sure aura levels are retroactive at least, and there aren't any vis nodes you need to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Today in Per Fabrica Ad Astra (TerraFirmaCraft) adventures: traveling over 8000 blocks east of my base to find a biome with 500 rainfall for cows, then leading a bull and two cows back to my base, as well as a breeding pair of sheep since all I had found before were 3 rams. I did figure out that when in a boat, any led animals are seemingly magnetically attached to the boat so I can travel full speed.. that saved a bunch of time.

And safely back at base.

e. Also, have a bit of my ingot madness. They're placed on the ground as they can't be put in chests. Progression has been .. interesting, especially for blue steel.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 30, 2018