Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

SMART GOOD ONES LOOK AT ONES WHO TRY GET LITTLE GIRL AND ARTHUR

THEN ONES WHO THINK BERZERKER EASY PREY

NO TALK GOOD BUT STILL WANT GOOD ONES WIN

BERZERKER TRY UNDERSTAND BETTER

TELL MORE WHEN THINK HARDER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

BERZERKER THINK BAD ONES SPLIT MAKE ARTHUR TOO EASY WHEN LITTLE GIRL REVEALED

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

50 pounds of bread posted:

So you're saying you think the people who were starting to focus on TM instead of Quid as things unfolded are the ones most likely to be bad?

After percolating a bit more on my own personal theory I threw out here I think that the most likely case. I've been wanting to re-read Chic cause I have what I'd call an unsettled gutread on them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

NO TALK GOOD BUT STILL WANT GOOD ONES WIN

BERZERKER TRY UNDERSTAND BETTER

TELL MORE WHEN THINK HARDER

Who is Arthur? TM flipped as Saber, Quid flipped as Illya.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

SalTheBard posted:

Who is Arthur?

Saber's true name is Arthur/Artoria Pendragon (aka King Arthur) :eng101:

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
having caught up again the case on 50 was silly and i'm now about 70% sure that prince is scum

but i'll have more details in the morning tomorrow, and if i don't, you should lynch me because no one should be allowed to coast this much, real life issues be damned, i signed up for mafia, i'm here to play

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

B-minus1 and Chic Trombone were the first ones to vote for Tired Moritz yesterday.

B-minus1 and Chic Trombone just now pushed the hardest to make 50 pounds of bread look guilty.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

uh... you mean like, split the vote, or split like... make like a tree and get outta here?

Monathin posted:

So you're saying you think the people who were starting to focus on TM instead of Quid as things unfolded are the ones most likely to be bad?

After percolating a bit more on my own personal theory I threw out here I think that the most likely case. I've been wanting to re-read Chic cause I have what I'd call an unsettled gutread on them.

And yeah, why would people focusing on TM instead of Quid be scummy? I can see not wanting to clear anyone just for preferring TM to Quid, scum would probably want to hedge a bit and feel nervous about continuing to vote Quid, no matter how much he insisted. But when Quid had claimed cop, wanting to vote someone else, like TM, also has an obvious strong townie explanation.

Actually you should answer this question too Monathin, not just 50.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Prince of Space posted:

B-minus1 and Chic Trombone were the first ones to vote for Tired Moritz yesterday.

B-minus1 and Chic Trombone just now pushed the hardest to make 50 pounds of bread look guilty.

uh... I was also the next one right in there to vote TM, and I pushed FIRST on voting 50.

I mean, if you think I'm just so townie that overrides it, can't you at least see that a townie can also hold these positions?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Monathin posted:

BERZERKER THINK ARTHUR HAD BAD ONES ALREADY AND LITTLE GIRL HAD BAD ONES TOO

BAD ONES ALL GET ARTHUR AFTER LITTLE GIRL REVEAL SELF

BAD ONES SMART BUSHING WAGERS.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Prince of Space posted:

Uh I definitely did not “push the hardest” to make 50 look guilty, he was doing that on his own.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Monathin posted:

Saber's true name is Arthur/Artoria Pendragon (aka King Arthur) :eng101:

Thank you Sir. This makes 50's posts way more coherent.

BERZERKER THINK ARTHUR HAD BAD ONES ALREADY AND LITTLE GIRL HAD BAD ONES TOO

BAD ONES ALL GET ARTHUR AFTER LITTLE GIRL REVEAL SELF

BAD ONES SMART BUSHING WAGERS.

gently caress this is an excellent point. As soon as Quid role claimed there was no way he was getting through N1 alive, so it was better to change the vote to TM to get another town lynched and then Nightvig our Cop.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Would anyone with a tracking role have been able to see who killed Quid last night if they had been tracking him?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SalTheBard posted:

gently caress this is an excellent point. As soon as Quid role claimed there was no way he was getting through N1 alive, so it was better to change the vote to TM to get another town lynched and then Nightvig our Cop.

Not really. How is that in any way better?

If they lunch the cop, the cop's dead for sure, and then scum just go kill a different townie (maybe even Tired!) during the night. One who is NOT super obvious and probably protected or watched in some way. The exact same amount of townies are dead, and they got better odds in fact of securing the 2nd kill!

How is leaving the cop kill for night, when you now have a chance of it failing or biting you in the rear end, better than lunching the cop during the day?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Bifauxnen posted:

uh... I was also the next one right in there to vote TM, and I pushed FIRST on voting 50.

I mean, if you think I'm just so townie that overrides it, can't you at least see that a townie can also hold these positions?

Of course I can. I'm not assigning blame for Tired Moritz's lunching, I'm just noticing a pattern in their activity at least.

I'm also curious as to why Juchero might think I am scum. Was unvoting from Tired Moritz (town) really such a huge error? What is the penalty for a no-lynch in this game?

I really think that SaltheBard and Juchero are trying to build unwarranted suspicion on me with their scumbuddies.

I hedged on Quidthulhu and never voted for him, and I voted for Tired Moritz when there was no other options. They were always bad votes, and I never liked them. What about this makes me scummy?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bifauxnen posted:

And yeah, why would people focusing on TM instead of Quid be scummy? I can see not wanting to clear anyone just for preferring TM to Quid, scum would probably want to hedge a bit and feel nervous about continuing to vote Quid, no matter how much he insisted. But when Quid had claimed cop, wanting to vote someone else, like TM, also has an obvious strong townie explanation.

Actually you should answer this question too Monathin, not just 50.

I always find something like what happened, last-second chaotic derails of the vote, incredibly likely to have some sort of scum factor contributing to it, even when it's not the case (see: Shine V, Mexico Thread D3). Moat got saved by a last second townie wagon on AA, which I objected to there as well because I feel like trying to gently caress with vote momentum that late in the day is asking for a NL. In the same way I found Chic's incessant push on TM both before and after the reveal weird in a sense of how hard they were actually going for it. You said it yourself I think during the whole fiasco that a TM vote seemed unlikely.

I actually extremely disagree with your townread of Chic, specifically her continued posts of Votefinder. I don't find that as town cred, I actually think it's more of a pressure tactic that exacberated the chaos of the vote later in the day. Couple that with how she went from 'I have a gut sus read on TM for not talking much in mason chat' to 'we can do it we can lynch TM go go go go go' Chic has moved up to my current strongest suspicion and I want to go back and read through some of her posts with fresher eyes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bifauxnen posted:

Not really. How is that in any way better?

If they lunch the cop, the cop's dead for sure, and then scum just go kill a different townie (maybe even Tired!) during the night. One who is NOT super obvious and probably protected or watched in some way. The exact same amount of townies are dead, and they got better odds in fact of securing the 2nd kill!

How is leaving the cop kill for night, when you now have a chance of it failing or biting you in the rear end, better than lunching the cop during the day?

O ya good point. Sorry I got excited there for a second! I guess it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

But hey, if Sal wants to insist that it was so smart for scum to move to TM instead, I guess I can scratch off those townie points I just gave him for helping so much to make that TM lunch happen.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Prince of Space posted:

I really think that SaltheBard and Juchero are trying to build unwarranted suspicion on me with their scumbuddies.

Nobody is really targeting you outside of me so if that was the case I didn't do a very good job. But honestly posts like this are what make me super suspicious of you. This doesn't "feel" like the post of a person who has only played 2 games. I will freely admit that I'm not that hot at this game, but I'm putting myself back into my "2nd game of mafia" shoes and I wasn't thinking on levels like this. It's possible that Prince has some education in game theory which would put him ahead of me in that department but it just seems weird I can't explain it.

Bifauxnen posted:

But hey, if Sal wants to insist that it was so smart for scum to move to TM instead, I guess I can scratch off those townie points I just gave him for helping so much to make that TM lunch happen.

I'm not insisting anything. I just got momentarily excited! I think you are right in that it didn't matter which way it happened.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Chic Trombone posted:

y'know what at this point i'm not sure i even care, you've been so useless ##vote fiddy

Also I just want to point out this post aged incredibly poorly incredibly quickly now that fiddy is actually engaging with the thread.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Monathin posted:

I always find something like what happened, last-second chaotic derails of the vote, incredibly likely to have some sort of scum factor contributing to it, even when it's not the case (see: Shine V, Mexico Thread D3). Moat got saved by a last second townie wagon on AA, which I objected to there as well because I feel like trying to gently caress with vote momentum that late in the day is asking for a NL. In the same way I found Chic's incessant push on TM both before and after the reveal weird in a sense of how hard they were actually going for it. You said it yourself I think during the whole fiasco that a TM vote seemed unlikely.

Well... just like I said to MT at the start of this day, I guess I can see scum Chic as still a possibility. But I don't think it's that likely. Trying to get someone else other than the claimed cop lunched was a good idea, and we did pull it off. There were multiple active people all posting and reacting to Quid's copclaim when it went down, enough to get the vote quickly tied up. If we hadn't been able to pull off the TM lunch then, we would've had the same difficulty in lunching Quid instead, actually.

I did voice my doubts at first, but I didn't keep saying it "during the whole fiasco". I left my vote on TM and then just sat and watched to see if I needed to move again, not wanting to say anything else with my mere existence bringing Quid so much anguish apparently.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bifauxnen posted:

Well... just like I said to MT at the start of this day, I guess I can see scum Chic as still a possibility. But I don't think it's that likely. Trying to get someone else other than the claimed cop lunched was a good idea, and we did pull it off. There were multiple active people all posting and reacting to Quid's copclaim when it went down, enough to get the vote quickly tied up. If we hadn't been able to pull off the TM lunch then, we would've had the same difficulty in lunching Quid instead, actually.

I did voice my doubts at first, but I didn't keep saying it "during the whole fiasco". I left my vote on TM and then just sat and watched to see if I needed to move again, not wanting to say anything else with my mere existence bringing Quid so much anguish apparently.

It's a good idea in theory, but that doesn't make it any less likely a scum move imho, and I think Chic's posting outside of that push has not been very good.

I will try and start putting a case together, I really do think you're on the wrong track and I'm willing to at least gather up why Chic looks really bad to me.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bifauxnen posted:

2 things (and I'm not trying to start an argument here)
1. Why do you say lunching vs. lynching?
2. Why did you feel the need to poo poo talk Quid when he's dead and not part of this game anymore? (maybe I'm too sensitive with this one)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SalTheBard posted:

2 things (and I'm not trying to start an argument here)
1. Why do you say lunching vs. lynching?
2. Why did you feel the need to poo poo talk Quid when he's dead and not part of this game anymore? (maybe I'm too sensitive with this one)

1. because "lynching" is a very uncomfortable word with seriously bad RL connotations, and many players make the effort to avoid it. Votefinder now talks about "executions" instead for this reason. "Lunching" is a very easy substitution I usually make. Some people prefer to use "cuddle" instead, but I haven't got the hang of using that one yet. "Dunking" is another fun one.

2. Because I'm extremely frustrated that Quid played the way he did as town, even before all the personal poo poo came up. On top of that I'm super frustrated that even if I'm trying my best to not be too insulting but still let an occasional "lol" slip out in disbelief at how much he's got something wrong, or if I choose not to engage with Quid out of respect for all the OTHER players of this game who have to wade through both our posts, I apparently deserve to have the full weight of Quid's historical emotional trauma thrown at me, to accuse me of being some horrible mean person for not going out of my way to make my whole gaming efforts revolve around not making Quid ever feel disrespected for not being listened to. ....even though I WAS listening to him far more than he was listening to me, cause he was accusing me of pushing narratives I was saying the bloody opposite of, and didn't even read my goddamn lumpenlist. So yes. I am still quite frustrated with Quid and that's not just gonna vanish once he gets NKed. If anything, I got more annoyed when I tried to drop an apology, thinking he must have some serious rl poo poo going down that's putting him that much on edge, and he said "lol nah my life's great".

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bifauxnen posted:

1. because "lynching" is a very uncomfortable word with seriously bad RL connotations, and many players make the effort to avoid it. Votefinder now talks about "executions" instead for this reason. "Lunching" is a very easy substitution I usually make. Some people prefer to use "cuddle" instead, but I haven't got the hang of using that one yet. "Dunking" is another fun one.

2. Because I'm extremely frustrated that Quid played the way he did as town, even before all the personal poo poo came up. On top of that I'm super frustrated that even if I'm trying my best to not be too insulting but still let an occasional "lol" slip out in disbelief at how much he's got something wrong, or if I choose not to engage with Quid out of respect for all the OTHER players of this game who have to wade through both our posts, I apparently deserve to have the full weight of Quid's historical emotional trauma thrown at me, to accuse me of being some horrible mean person for not going out of my way to make my whole gaming efforts revolve around not making Quid ever feel disrespected for not being listened to. ....even though I WAS listening to him far more than he was listening to me, cause he was accusing me of pushing narratives I was saying the bloody opposite of, and didn't even read my goddamn lumpenlist. So yes. I am still quite frustrated with Quid and that's not just gonna vanish once he gets NKed. If anything, I got more annoyed when I tried to drop an apology, thinking he must have some serious rl poo poo going down that's putting him that much on edge, and he said "lol nah my life's great".

1. Thank you. I also feel uncomfortable using lynching, I just thought it was some weird auto correct :P
2. I didn't realize D1 was so exhausting for you from the perspective. I wasn't trying to pick a scab. Thank you Bif.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

SalTheBard posted:

This doesn't "feel" like the post of a person who has only played 2 games.

This is my second game, and it is also the second game wherein people have accused me of saying game-related things that "newbies shouldn't know well enough to say." It's a weird argument to be making - I pick up on game vocab quickly I guess? I certainly don't know what roles are common enough to expect in a game like this, however.

That said, I don't truly know what scum-hunting methods work because I've never actually caught scum all by myself.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Prince of Space posted:

This is my second game, and it is also the second game wherein people have accused me of saying game-related things that "newbies shouldn't know well enough to say." It's a weird argument to be making - I pick up on game vocab quickly I guess? I certainly don't know what roles are common enough to expect in a game like this, however.

That said, I don't truly know what scum-hunting methods work because I've never actually caught scum all by myself.

These role madness games can can be hard to follow much like Shine V. I saw that you were town your first game but I didn't look at your posting there at all because meta from one game doesn't always carry over to another game. I'm not saying you should dumb yourself down, maybe you are just one of those people thats really loving gifted at games, I don't know you, I have never interacted with you. If you really want to prove you aren't scum start casing people outside of your list. Go through my post history, I think it's at like 1 and 1/2 pages and put together a post like I did for you. Even if your read is wrong thats fine, this is mafia and it's a game of incomplete information (unless you are scum and then you have way more information). I'm town just like I have been every other game*. It's hard when you haven't been scum to pick up on scum reads. I'm a horrible person to have "mentor" you because I've yet to really see the full game. What I would like from you though is just some quick off the cuff reads. Assuming I'm town (which I am) who is #2 on your list to be killed?

*technically in the Death Note game I was Kira, but I didn't have access to scum doc and in Attitude Era mafia I was 3rd party

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
After Shine V was over I took a lot of the feedback I got to heart. The main feedback I got was "post more" and "don't be afraid to make cases." I'm implementing that this game, admittedly not as well as I had hoped. I also planned to take a break after the last game but I'm a loving addict who can't say no!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

SalTheBard posted:

What I would like from you though is just some quick off the cuff reads. Assuming I'm town (which I am) who is #2 on your list to be killed?

Prince of Space's Reads from Most to Least Suspicious, Day 2

Juchero
SaltheBard
Chic Trombone
B-minus1
Murmur Twin
GulagDolls
Tobbs Gnawed
50 pounds of Bread
Bifauxnen
Monathin
KhediveRex

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Prince of Space posted:

Prince of Space's Reads from Most to Least Suspicious, Day 2

Juchero
SaltheBard
Chic Trombone
B-minus1
Murmur Twin
GulagDolls
Tobbs Gnawed
50 pounds of Bread
Bifauxnen
Monathin
KhediveRex

I would like to know, while I'm still awake, how I got that far down the suspect list, out of curiosity.

Also, give me your take on Chic, since I'm going to go read them.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SalTheBard posted:

1. Thank you. I also feel uncomfortable using lynching, I just thought it was some weird auto correct :P
2. I didn't realize D1 was so exhausting for you from the perspective. I wasn't trying to pick a scab. Thank you Bif.

no worries mate, actually now that I wrote up a whole paragraph about it and got a bit of commiseration here, I'm feeling a lot less frustrated so thanks for that :3:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Monathin posted:

I would like to know, while I'm still awake, how I got that far down the suspect list, out of curiosity.

Also, give me your take on Chic, since I'm going to go read them.

You're mostly lumped together with KhediveRex and Bifauxnen near the bottom because I read your words yesterday and today as coming from a genuine place. Even with your rebukes of Quidthulhu I could tell where you were coming from in your voting of him.

My take on Chic Trombone is that I suspect that they were particularly oversensitive to the lurker accusations leveled at them partway through day one, and they overcompensated by posting a whole lot right before day one's deadline. They were also a driving force with the late Tired Moritz vote, from its start to its finish.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
##unvote

Murmur Twin posted:

I think Juchero's suspicion on 50 was faked. He was trying to imply that Berserker is anti-town while ignoring the fact that the last thing a scum berserker would do is just claim it and RP it. When pressed on it he admits that probably isn't scummy but that it sounds like "an anti-town 3P".

I don't buy this as a town thought process. Hunting specifically for 3P is scum 101. ##vote Juchero

^^^ I'd like to revisit this bit Murmur Twin brought up, Juchero. Weren't you against 50 pounds of bread / Berserker originally? Now you're saying that the case on 50 is "silly." What happened in between?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

BERZERKER CLEARLY GOOD JUST BAD AT FINDING BAD ONES

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

BERZERKER CLEARLY GOOD JUST BAD AT FINDING BAD ONES

I feel ya Zerk!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

*barf noise* i guess i buy that gambit from fiddy but ugh ##unvote

i feel incredibly lovely irl today so i might nt be around to post much

Monathin posted:

Also I just want to point out this post aged incredibly poorly incredibly quickly now that fiddy is actually engaging with the thread.

am i supposed to be psychic and divine the future when i post?? im not sure what ur trying to accomplish with this

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Juchero posted:

y'know i know we're not supposed to make flavor arguments

but i'm preeeeetty sure berserker is bad news?

Juchero posted:

maybe not scum, because berserker/ilya aren't really the big bads(if going by bifaux theory)

but they're potentially dangerous to town, maybe 3p(?)

also avenger isn't really "active" outside of one specific story so i don't even know if they are in fact in the game as a role

After this, MMT calls him out on his shade and Juchero quickly backs off.

Juchero posted:

having caught up again the case on 50 was silly and i'm now about 70% sure that prince is scum

but i'll have more details in the morning tomorrow, and if i don't, you should lynch me because no one should be allowed to coast this much, real life issues be damned, i signed up for mafia, i'm here to play

Did a quick read-through of Juchero. One joke vote on Quid and some heavy shade on bread followed by backing off under pressure. There isn't anything else there.

My gut tells me he isn't scum (seems too open/honest), but the lack of reads/votes isn't helping anyone.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

KhediveRex posted:

My Very First Lumpenlist!

Suspicious Characters:

Bread: I'm not sure I trust his flavor anymore. He made a lot of noise about wanting to find the little girl. To protect the little girl. He found the little girl. The little girl dies. Where did that protect thing come in? If he couldn't protect her, why make all the noise in thread about protecting her? Could he have wanted to find Ilya for other reasons? In any event, his flavor is thrown into question. And that logically throws his behavior into question.

Tobbs: Quid had a good point last night that Tobbs had been playing very friendly with Bif. Not suspicious by itself but, I notice it has stopped being the case today. Suspicions were on him just as much yesterday, I seem to recall. Today he's a little more defensive and much cooler toward the person he was hoping to make an ally. Changed his strategy after he got called on it?

Really though, half of my suspicions with Tobbs comes from the duel he's involved in with MurmerTwin. I don't see why, if he had that power, he would use it on MurmurTwin. He calls it a gut read. It feels more to me like a "I want to use this and see how it works." (Correct me if dueling is a standard power, I think the whole idea is weird.) I just don't see how or why a duel developed between townies. Sort of in general. And having said that.

MurmurTwin: I have to put her on the list of suspicious people because she's the other half of the duel. She and Tobbs are fighting for reasons that haven't been sufficiently explained to us. I also note that like Tobbs, MurmurTwin wasn't very active around deadline, even though it was a very important deadline. That's far from daming evidence but, it is worth noting.

KhediveRex puts me and MMT on his list of suspicious characters. KhediveRex doesn't see how or why a duel developed between townies.

That's a scumslip, friends.

##vote KhediveRex

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

KhediveRex puts me and MMT on his list of suspicious characters. KhediveRex doesn't see how or why a duel developed between townies.

##vote KhediveRex

O_O

Goddamn

##unvote

Going to look at Rex later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

##vote KhediveRex

Nice catch!

##vote KhediveRex - it looks to me like Rex forgot that he isn't supposed to know me and Tobbs' alignments.

I'm home from work and it's my weekend so expect more engagement from me from here on out :peanut:

• Locked thread