Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't remember that one. We went to Microsoft after Sophos since MSE is included in our licensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
AV is just a shitshow waiting to happen that we are required to install to tick a box. Nothing more.

One could argue you are a more secure these days without it then with.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

stevewm posted:

AV is just a shitshow waiting to happen that we are required to install to tick a box. Nothing more.

I want an AV system that is literally just an agent that downloads an update full of whatever signatures it needs and then does nothing with them, but with a robust system to prove it's all up to date. Tick that box and let me get on with my life.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

spog posted:

I bet the number the customer gave was a cell phone.

I don't know and I don't have the ability to check sadly. But in my head cannon you're right.

The ticket itself was on a different schema that I don't have access too. I sit next to some of the guys who take those escalations and when a real good one comes in they tell everyone about it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

stevewm posted:

YOU might be, but the more layers we put between our users and the Internet, the better I feel in general. If I could get them to type with their hands in plastic bags, I would.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Give each user a full body condom like in the naked gun.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inspector_666 posted:

My mother recently forwarded some article to everybody in the family about how you shouldn't keep your cell phone in a pocket because or radiation etc. I pointed out that I didn't really want to carry around a lead-lined container for my phone, especially since my parents get mad when I don't answer their calls. The article also implied that the radiation from the cell towers get "shot at" your phone when you use it as if there are a jillion little monodirectional antennae pointing at people when they use their phones.

All of this also ignores that I live in New York City, so even if I threw my phone into the river I'm surrounded by them and probably breathing more dangerous poo poo in 24/7.

I've had people tell me about how it increases your chances of testicular cancer before.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I found the POE switch

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That definitely seems to be a more expensive way of doing it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Entropic posted:

I found the POE switch

I too have had a wall full of PoE injectors, but it was only because the scope did not include placing a bunch of phones at the site and local AC adapters were rejected.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've done that once with a site that had a full UniFi wireless and camera setup but wouldn't spend the extra few hundred bucks on the Ubiquiti switch that did their 24v passive nonsense.

I'm so glad they finally pulled their heads out of their asses and started supporting 802.3af/at like every other reasonable vendor.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So while I still don't have proper access to the ticketing system at my new job, I've been shadowing one of my coworkers, and he's been opening tickets and watching me troubleshoot them, mostly to gauge my troubleshooting style, make sure I'm picking up on things, etc.

He has me look at this ticket where the client is complaining that one of their packet header rewrite rules isn't functioning, and in three seconds I've pulled open the rules configuration page for that client and found that it's disabled.

I turn to him and give him a look and he just has this poo poo-eating grin and is all "so how would you go about resolving this ticket?" and I'm like "try to find a diplomatic way to say 'hey, the rule's disabled' without insinuating the client is an idiot?".

Never seen a mentor crack up at an answer of mine that hard before. I think I like it here. :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wolrah posted:

I'm so glad they finally pulled their heads out of their asses and started supporting 802.3af/at like every other reasonable vendor.

This is still a point of confusion for me, their docs are inconsistent about which models of their cameras do and don't support active PoE with or without inline or AC adapters. Their datasheets disagree with their own knowledgebase entry.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Renegret posted:

A ticket came in

"Customer states *company* hotspot is causing health issues with her body. Customer requests callback"

Well that one's getting added to the recordbooks. I feel bad for whoever has to call them back.

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be more useful in the long run to start telling these people about how much raw power every satellite, tv, and radio broadcast antenna puts out and how the only way to keep those from getting to you is to live deep underwater or deep under the Earth's crust.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

fishmech posted:

deep underwater

Near the hydrothermal vents spewing sulphides and radionuclides?

fishmech posted:

deep under the Earth's crust.

Down there with all the decaying uranium?

Maybe we should suggest they live up above the clouds in the.. oh.. solar winds? drat it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of our clients has this in their office

Not had the Wi-Fi survey done yet, could be interesting.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

faraday cages have to be electrified to work :laffo:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

??? No they don't.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

??? No they don't.
if they're not grounded, they would, else how is a stable electrical field going to be achieved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chances of a large metal object not being grounded in a newly refitted office are slim to none. I've not actually seen the thing yet - that's a photo from the website of the building owner that refers to everything in the most bullshit property developer terms. It might not be entirely metal mesh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

One of our clients has this in their office

Not had the Wi-Fi survey done yet, could be interesting.

Do they keep a gimp in there? And let him out to go change toners and stuff?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

if they're not grounded, they would, else how is a stable electrical field going to be achieved.

Grounded is not the same as electrified? I'm confused.

They're big metal panels for absorbing radiation, so yeah grounded is best to reduce reflection but there's no "stable electrical field" unless there's something I'm missing.

I'm sure it's grounded. Heck, the comms cabinet in my house is grounded, took five minutes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Data point: I have aluminium heat spreaders in my suspended timber floors for the underfloor heating, and they function very well to block wifi and cell signal even though I don't want them to, and no effort was made to ground them.

Try sitting a metal tin on a rubber mat, putting your phone in and calling it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Grounded is not the same as electrified? I'm confused.

They're big metal panels for absorbing radiation, so yeah grounded is best to reduce reflection but there's no "stable electrical field" unless there's something I'm missing.

I'm sure it's grounded. Heck, the comms cabinet in my house is grounded, took five minutes.
grounding creates a stable field. not that it matters in this case since there's huge holes in the middle of the cage.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

grounding creates a stable field. not that it matters in this case since there's huge holes in the middle of the cage.

Also no mesh on the floor :shrug:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

It's still going to block 90% of the signal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If I wanted to make an ostentatiously shielded conference room I would 10000000% copy the floating acoustically-dampened room from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And furnish it the same

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not Enemy of the State?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:haw: Hey Bob, we haven't gotten any work orders this week and CBRE sent us this. Is this something you need to do to my PC?

Attachment reads:

UPDATE: ADDITIONAL STEPS NEEDED BY THIS FRIDAY, 1/19
To avoid delayed or lost email notifications/alerts from your Corrigo platform, please complete these additional steps by EOD Friday, 1/19. Please forward this Update to your IT resources or IT team. As Corrigo migrates our SMTP traffic to new IP addresses, the below Email Whitelisting Instructions will ensure that your operational emails from Corrigo will not be throttled or held up by your ISP.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That is not at all how Faraday cages work. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jaded Burnout posted:

Near the hydrothermal vents spewing sulphides and radionuclides?

Down there with all the decaying uranium?

Maybe we should suggest they live up above the clouds in the.. oh.. solar winds? drat it.

Duh, those are all natural healing radiations! It's only those evil man-made radiations that can hurt you, like having radio 98.2 beaming through your brain!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Oh fun times have been had. The local government I work for tends to bring in contractors for technical roles, then bring them on perm if they're good. This also seems to happen a lot in the private sector. Well, I've been in my position 9 months out of what was supposed to be a 6 month temp to perm. We finally got HR to reclassify and post the position. It's one of those things where my managers want to bring me in perm, but HR made them advertise and interview people regardless. HR obviously didn't filter anything, because one of the applications in particular the person's work experience was being a Burger King cook for 6 months.

Anyhoo, we will be filling another position soon ( HR moving at a glacial pace again ), so the folks we did bring in to "mock" interview, we really wanted to talk to for that next position, based on their resume's. ( Have I mentioned how weird is it to interview other people for my job? ) Interviews started in earnest today. Mind you, this is a networking first, telephones second kind of role.

The first person wasn't able to tell us what NAT is, and after having the acronym explained to them, still couldn't. He/she had 4 CCNA certifications :stonk: The next one was someone we thought could really be a help with the aging PBX with enough network chops to apply that background to a lot of the elements of the VOIP implementation that will start soon. Worked for Bell South/ATT for several years. He literally walked out of the interview, angrily. Apparently, acronyms like DNS and DHCP pissed him off and " this was not the position I applied for". There's one more to interview before HR will sign off on hiring me.

This is the same place where a nephew of a city commissioner who would make a great stand in for Ted Kaczynski, that just showed up one day to report for work can get hired sight unseen, but no one else

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

And furnish it the same

That's implied. Also you have to wear a very smart suit if you have a meeting there, British accents preferred.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Had a long discussion with yet another member of the CEO's family, this time about an urgent need to set up email on our Exchange server for a domain they were going to use on a mass email. We talked about it both from a technical and marketing perspective and eventually came to an agreement on how things would be done and the timing of the changes. Adding a domain to the server and dishing out some aliases is not a big deal.

At the very end of the conversation I identified a serious problem. I expect you all can guess what it was.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

Had a long discussion with yet another member of the CEO's family, this time about an urgent need to set up email on our Exchange server for a domain they were going to use on a mass email. We talked about it both from a technical and marketing perspective and eventually came to an agreement on how things would be done and the timing of the changes. Adding a domain to the server and dishing out some aliases is not a big deal.

At the very end of the conversation I identified a serious problem. I expect you all can guess what it was.

You were on an email blacklist

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They haven't registered the domain.

Bonus: It's taken.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

They haven't registered the domain.

Bonus: It's taken.

Yes both of these is my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And further to the above, an insistence that you "just get me that domain, do something, just put some effort in and stop saying no all the time"