Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

The new sound of home.
HomePod is a powerful speaker that sounds amazing and adapts to wherever it’s playing. It’s the ultimate music authority, bringing together Apple Music and Siri to learn your taste in music. It’s also an intelligent home assistant, capable of handling everyday tasks — and controlling your smart home. HomePod takes the listening experience to a whole new level. And that’s just the beginning.

Release Date: Friday, February 9, 2018
Price: $349

Reviews:
https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-homepod-listening-test-one-may-not-be-enough/
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/26/apple-homepod-2018-release/
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/apple-homepod-review,review-5095.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Cremnob thinks this will be an audiophile speaker. Cremnob is wrong, but I think it's safe to predict it'll crush the smart speaker market.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Yes a $350 device with loving Siri is gonna crush the smart speaker marker. Let me order $1000 worth of HomePods so I can have one in each room instead of $300 or whatever for three Alexas (I’m assuming those are like $100/each but idk, I’m fairly sure they’re not $350/each).

I mean, just give this a try (requires Apple Music):

:v:: Hey Siri play some music.

:downs:: Okay, playing your radio station.

:v:: Hey Siri what time is it?

:downs:: The time is 8am, good morning! Because I am the most stupid voice assistant ever and can not understand context, I’m going to keep the phone in this state now where the time is displayed on your screen but the music is just paused, forever, because my programmers are stupid because it never occurred to them that maybe the user wants the music to resume playing at this point.

Come on, justify why it’s correct behavior for Siri to keep my music paused indefinitely like this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s why you use Siri on your watch, where none of that poo poo happens.

But yeah Siri on the phone is... loving weird.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yes a $350 device with loving Siri is gonna crush the smart speaker marker. Let me order $1000 worth of HomePods so I can have one in each room instead of $300 or whatever for three Alexas (I’m assuming those are like $100/each but idk, I’m fairly sure they’re not $350/each).

I mean, just give this a try (requires Apple Music):

:v:: Hey Siri play some music.

:downs:: Okay, playing your radio station.

:v:: Hey Siri what time is it?

:downs:: The time is 8am, good morning! Because I am the most stupid voice assistant ever and can not understand context, I’m going to keep the phone in this state now where the time is displayed on your screen but the music is just paused, forever, because my programmers are stupid because it never occurred to them that maybe the user wants the music to resume playing at this point.

Come on, justify why it’s correct behavior for Siri to keep my music paused indefinitely like this.

You were mad enough to keep writing this post but not mad enough to Google how much an Alexa costs?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just looked it up and they are $99.99 for an Echo and $149.99 for an Echo Plus.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Echo is a dogshit speaker. Amazon has no ecosystem to speak of. Assuming the Siri implementation is HomePod specific, it's hard to see what the Echoes have over the HomePod except for price. And we all know how that goes with Apple products.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Amazon has Echos, Fire Tablets, Fire TVs, Prime Video, Prime Audio, and many smart home devices support Echo. They also publish apps on every major mobile and desktop OS. They absolutely have an ecosystem.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Really hope Logitech adds HomeKit to the harmony hub.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endless Mike posted:

Amazon has Echos, Fire Tablets, Fire TVs, Prime Video, Prime Audio, and many smart home devices support Echo. They also publish apps on every major mobile and desktop OS. They absolutely have an ecosystem.

But they dont have apple music

checkmate apple

/s

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The Echo is a dogshit speaker. Amazon has no ecosystem to speak of. Assuming the Siri implementation is HomePod specific, it's hard to see what the Echoes have over the HomePod except for price. And we all know how that goes with Apple products.

The Echo is a criminally good speaker for the price. And a good speaker period regardless of price.

Also they have their own music service thats really good too. Every CD or record I have ever purchased from Amazon is automatically in my library.

Apple Music still fucks up and plays live versions of poo poo all the time and I hate it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Do we have to have 'fanboys' in the title? I know it's inevitable we'll have a lot of bitch slap fights and the usual accusations abound, but it seems a little too on the nose to me. It's like it was written by somebody with an axe to grind with fanboys. But, I bet nobody gives two shits.

Maybe rename to

It's Just A loving Speaker With a Retarded Decision Tree

Bring Home Another Trash Can from Da Fruit Stand

Echo My Pecko

Transfer My Calls To The Giant Marshmallow

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 30, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Transfer My Calls To The Giant Marshmallow

Well that sorts out what I’m calling this thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Alternatively,

Transfer My Calls to the Giant Tootsie Roll

Transfer My Calls to the Chiclet

Apple's Answer To HotKinkyJo

Can I Jailbreak This?

I Thought Soundsticks Were Nutty

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 30, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

All of those things are trash and most of those things no one uses.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

All of those things are trash and most of those things no one uses.

Prime video and prime audio are both excellent and many people use them. Lots and lots and lots. Alexa is so far ahead of Siri it’s an embarrassment to Apple. And I’m an Apple fanboy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Cool, so this is just gonna be a big slap fight?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Suqit posted:

Prime video and prime audio are both excellent and many people use them. Lots and lots and lots. Alexa is so far ahead of Siri it’s an embarrassment to Apple. And I’m an Apple fanboy.

Prime audio used to be amazing till they spun it off and now want you to pay 7.99 a month for everything.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I think the HomePod will suit my needs and I'm excited to get it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Cool, so this is just gonna be a big slap fight?

Going by the current title, probably.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

e: I'm dumb and have dumb opinions. Sorry.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 12, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean this entire thread is pointless. It’s so dumb. Why make a thread for something 3 people will buy.

e: Like, if Siri wasn’t horseshit then that’s a different story. But “hey Siri play some music” followed by “hey Siri what time is it” pauses the music forever which is just ridiculous. Yeah I’m really upset about a lovely voice assistant.

You really are and it's really abrasive to read.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's a legitimate complaint though.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Consummate Professional posted:

I think the HomePod will suit my needs and I'm excited to get it

Same, but no way in hell I'm buying this as a first gen Apple product. I'm sure by the time the HomePod 3GS or whatever shows up it's going to be good.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Husband gets half off for these so we might pick one up. It's supposed to have really good bass and will work with our phones and our apple tv. I'll report back if we get it and try it.

e: we are getting it

Over There fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 2, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Apparently it's like 7 inches lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Over There posted:

Apparently it's like 7 inches lol

Well that’s significantly above average so it should be able to satisfy.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Size doesn't matter, it's how it can handle sound

Over There fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 4, 2018

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
One thing I'm wondering about is what the HomePod's Bluetooth 5.0 capability is actually supposed to be for. Apple put out a list of the things it can play audio from (AirPlay and your various Apple media library things basically), and Bluetooth isn't on it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I believe you can't use Bluetooth.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Bluetooth would allow you to use someone else's hardware

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ewen Cluney posted:

One thing I'm wondering about is what the HomePod's Bluetooth 5.0 capability is actually supposed to be for. Apple put out a list of the things it can play audio from (AirPlay and your various Apple media library things basically), and Bluetooth isn't on it.

It...cant play bluetooth?

e: good lord thats horribly stupid. RIP if your friends want to have a listen but they have android.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buglord posted:

RIP if your friends have android.
Agreed, OP

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If your text bubble aint blue you arn't a friend

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
They must want to utilize some sort of feature with airplay.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

buglord posted:

It...cant play bluetooth?

e: good lord thats horribly stupid. RIP if your friends want to have a listen but they have android.
Yeah, since it's supposed to be such a good speaker, I was hoping there was a way to hook it up to my TV and PS4 and whatnot. No telling if Apple is planning to add Bluetooth audio in a future update to podOS or whatever they're going to call it, in the inevitable HomePod 2, or just not bother.

But yeah, the list of audio sources on the HomePod page goes:

quote:

Apple Music
iTunes Music Purchases
iCloud Music Library with an Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription
Beats 1 Live Radio
Podcasts
AirPlay other content to HomePod from iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, and Mac
Basically for a HomePod to be of much use you have to already be using Apple stuff to get a lot of media. Not to mention you apparently just plain can't set it up without a device running iOS 11.2.5 or later.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

e: I'm dumb and have dumb opinions. Sorry.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 12, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

let people pair their AirPods with.

Uh...why would I ever do that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don’t worry, next year they’ll release a $299 version of AppleTV with HomePod Connection that you can link up to your HomePod 2.

e: No but seriously, as much as I'm hating against HomePod I find it just too difficult to believe that Apple wont enable a software update to let people pair their AirPods with.
AppleTVs already connect to HomePods. Like, this is a big part of why I'm interested in the thing.

And yeah, why would you want to connect your headphones to your speaker? I can't think of any situation where you're at home but for some reason don't have access to your phone. If it's to listen to your AppleTV, just pair with the AppleTV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Apple just got their $3,000 speaker in today. I'm sure that can use bluetooth.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...cf13e117bf1155f