Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Alternatively - a method that doesn't involve murdering children (seriously, why was this such a loving obsession for so long?) just engage combat, punch each kid one or twice until they've got to low HP, then allow them to flee and end combat. They will eventually return to their 'post' but every time you approach they will run away again. But without engaging combat. They also have no allied NPCs nearby so you don't have to fight off the entire town.

I think those little thieving bastards are the reason it's an obsession. They were the most irritating part of FO2 by far.

Actually I don't think it was an actual obsession there was just somebody that became infamous and started a massive flamewar that spanned the entire internet for bitching that you couldn't just kill MacCready in FO3. In 1 and 2 you could kill children but you got the Childkiller perk which made basically everybody hate you. After that they just went "all children are essential and you can't even meaningfully hurt them." Then that guy came along and was all blustery like "yeah well if somebody won't let me go where I want I'll just kill them" like it was totally normal and rational to want to kill everything in a cave of nothing but children because the guy at the door wouldn't let you in right away.

Other people have whined that it isn't realistic that you can't just kill every single thing that's alive like you could in the first two games and...uh, well realism has never been the strong point of video games. They're games. They aren't supposed to perfectly mimic life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think those little thieving bastards are the reason it's an obsession. They were the most irritating part of FO2 by far.

Actually I don't think it was an actual obsession there was just somebody that became infamous and started a massive flamewar that spanned the entire internet for bitching that you couldn't just kill MacCready in FO3. In 1 and 2 you could kill children but you got the Childkiller perk which made basically everybody hate you. After that they just went "all children are essential and you can't even meaningfully hurt them." Then that guy came along and was all blustery like "yeah well if somebody won't let me go where I want I'll just kill them" like it was totally normal and rational to want to kill everything in a cave of nothing but children because the guy at the door wouldn't let you in right away.

Other people have whined that it isn't realistic that you can't just kill every single thing that's alive like you could in the first two games and...uh, well realism has never been the strong point of video games. They're games. They aren't supposed to perfectly mimic life.

i could see it being the case that the kids should be trivially easy to intimidate in 3. like, i have a kid, so i know they can be obstinate assholes if they feel like it, but kids are also really easily frightened because it's literally a survival mechanism that has been selected for via the magic of human evolution. i don't recall little lamplight being so bad that i felt like you should be able to murder all the kids in there, but there definitely should have been an option to fire a couple warning shots into the air at the first roadblock and basically have all the kids flee the cave.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Reality Loser posted:

Fo4:nv will never be released.

On the one hand, probably not. On the other hand, the team behind it seems reasonably well-organized, so...

Well, it's nice to dream.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I'm going to beat New Vegas for the first time real soon; hard to resist the temptation to go back and play my old save game after finishing this one, especially after all the poo poo I've learned about perks, ammo and crafting (thanks, NV thread goons!).

FO1 tip: while Small Guns, Melee Weapons and Unarmed are all fine weapon tag choices, you may want to dump skill points into Energy Weapons once Plasma Rifles and Gatling Lasers become accessible if you want to have an easier time with the "final boss" fight; fucker's Normal resistance is a bit nuts, and you'll only get Sniper or Slayer if you spend a long amount of time grinding Boneyard Deathclaws. Also only FOOLS start with less than 9-10 Agility.

OH, and also if you take Fast Shot and Bonus Hth Attacks, you can potentially attack 10+ times in a single turn with the Power Fist; with Bloody Mess, you become the Fist of the North Star. This only works in FO1; Fast Shot is useless for an Unarmed-centric Chosen One.

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 30, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know why you would want fallout 4: new Vegas. The mod will just be a remake of vanilla Vegas, and half the fun if NV is modding it to hell and back.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the mods i use for new vegas are project nevada (for functionality that's mostly in 4 like sprint), open strip/freeside, some minor cut content and bugfixes, and jsawyer. i'll only really miss jsawyer and honestly it might be moddable

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know why you would want fallout 4: new Vegas. The mod will just be a remake of vanilla Vegas, and half the fun if NV is modding it to hell and back.

New Vegas with F4 gameplay improvements would be worth a ton of mods on its own. There's only so much improving you can even do to New Vegas because of how Crappy the engine is

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

New Vegas with F4 gameplay improvements would be worth a ton of mods on its own. There's only so much improving you can even do to New Vegas because of how Crappy the engine is

I'm still waiting on Xilandro to finish B42.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Still waiting for the release of New California for FNV

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of NV and modding, there's actually a mod that lets you build your own little fort, complete with fences, turrets, guard posts, etc.

It's a little janky due to the nature of placeable objects modded into a game (i.e the game doesn't know not to render stuff behind normal non-terrain objects, so things get laggy when you put enough stuff down since it's rendering everything at once) but it's a fun little timewaster, I liked putting it in the desert crater with the scorpions and ants. It also has raider/mutant/etc. raids if you're into the survival concept.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I can build my own dinosaur theme park, with blackjack, and hookers.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I like Fallout 4 quite a lot while still being able to rationally discern areas in which other Fallout games, which I do not especially like, can be better objectively and/or subjectively; but on the other hand I feel like the Something Awful forums are the one place on the entire internet where that may be said without causing a loving nerd riot.

And when SA is the sole bastion of nerd tolerance on the internet, you know we've achieved something very special in our time.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I don't remember who did the LP, but it was here years ago. A fallout 2 run with strength and luck maxed, intelligence at 1 , unarmed tagged. I think he had the jinxed perk too, one of the funniest SSLP I have ever read.

https://lparchive.org/Fallout-2/Update%201/

Here it is

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Base building in Fallout (and probably house building in TES) is gonna stick around. The whole reason Bethesda put it in was because settlement mods were always among the most popular Fallout 3 mods. Honestly I think it does work well with the setting mechanically and thematically. I enjoyed my time messing around with bases and would of definitely done more of it if the game had more RP potential to spark my creativity.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I never modded New Vegas. That game was insanely unstable for me so I can't imagine adding mods to it would improve that situation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Your loss. It is unplayable now without some baseline mods to fix stability issues, but once those are installed you can pretty much go hog wild.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dongicus posted:

i'm gonna spare everyone the boring discourse and say that F3 is a bad fallout game.

It took a decade of mockery but goons finally discovered that NMA was right and Bethesda ruined Fallout.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Halser posted:

I didn't mind that.
I did mind robots having 1500HP and insane resistances to everything, making small and big guns worthless(aside from the extremely rare gauss rifle and Browning M2) for a good chunk of the game.

Shotguns were still good. Admittedly, that was about it, but the variable ammo loads meant that they were useful from the beginning of the game to the end.

There was a lot of garbage, and even more stuff that went obsolete, but I did enjoy playing through tactics. Especially when I had a Deathclaw as the party medic/driver/grenadier/mechanic. Just driving around, chucking grenades out the window to make robots explode.

Good times.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also if it does come out it's gonna be a long-rear end time from now, but man I hope Fallout 4: New Vegas does reach some kind of actual release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KARSz0AE39Q

That whole mod team is gonna be found dead, their corpses t-posing and heads vibrating from the copy of Skyrim lodged in their skulls

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I remember playing Fallout 2 (after buying it at Egghead Software) when it came out and running into a bug where the entire city of Gecko went hostile because I'd been to Vault City

Some of the writing was cringeworthy but it's impressive that a team of around ten young people produced the game in such a short deadline

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Mantis42 posted:

It took a decade of mockery but goons finally discovered that NMA was right and Bethesda ruined Fallout.

Remember the Pillars of the Community quest

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mantis42 posted:

You can't kill whats already dead.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm sad I can't romance Deacon. The other guys are boring.

Also I've abandoned actual gameplay to build Vault 88. It's taken a huge amount of time because there are zero explanations of how building actually works and I have to google so drat much.
Plus gently caress getting attacked by raiders while building, they left blood and dead bodies all over my nice clean atrium floor :argh:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i could see it being the case that the kids should be trivially easy to intimidate in 3. like, i have a kid, so i know they can be obstinate assholes if they feel like it, but kids are also really easily frightened because it's literally a survival mechanism that has been selected for via the magic of human evolution. i don't recall little lamplight being so bad that i felt like you should be able to murder all the kids in there, but there definitely should have been an option to fire a couple warning shots into the air at the first roadblock and basically have all the kids flee the cave.

You can just call him a butt and he lets you in. It isn't like it's difficult to get past him. I'm going to guess the guy in question never, ever did a speech-base run of any game ever and just shot his way through every problem imaginable.

Which...kind of misses the point of Fallout games. Even so I think the guy was probably just a jerk with dominance issues. "I go where I want and this gun agrees with me! Raarrrrgggghhhh!"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Just wanna point out that the Fallout 4: New Vegas team is also changing stuff and redesigning some systems and not just reproducing the original New Vegas to a T. For example, the weapon mods will be turned into side-grades rather than straight upgrades, and the Survival skill will be used to govern proficiency in bows (a new weapon type they're adding) on top of the stuff it already did.

Of course, there's a good chance it might not come out, and whether you're interested in the mod team's take on New Vegas' design remains to be seen.

EDIT: More words on the weapon upgrades: https://www.facebook.com/TeamF4NV/posts/701101810277782

And an interview with the team's lead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNWyA7YI8Pw (I don't understand why *anyone* assumed they would redo the voice acting from the ground-up, but eh, apparently that was a question that was asked)

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 30, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The gameplay was never the draw to me in New Vegas anyways. What's really amazing about that game is the sheer variety of options you have in the various quests. Its a game that actively encourages you to roleplay as different characters that will approach their problems from different perspectives. If they just rebuild all the quests while maintaining those options then it'll be fine.

More likely it will never be finished or will be a glitchy nightmare that barely functions though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I kinda wish there was a Fallout game that didn't even have a main storyline, just a really big loving world and lots of regional questlines.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I kinda wish there was a Fallout game that didn't even have a main storyline, just a really big loving world and lots of regional questlines.

Well you gotta have a main quest, man. How am I gonna know where to go to get my ~gamerscore~ without it?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mantis42 posted:

Without Bethesda we don't get Fallout New Vegas.

People can have rose-tinted nostalgia glasses all they want about the experiences they had ten years ago with Fallout 1 and 2, but Fallout New Vegas is the best Fallout experience you can have today.

MikeJF posted:

There's that mod for Fallout 4 where you play someone who's not the protagonist.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Applesnots posted:

I don't remember who did the LP, but it was here years ago. A fallout 2 run with strength and luck maxed, intelligence at 1 , unarmed tagged. I think he had the jinxed perk too, one of the funniest SSLP I have ever read.

https://lparchive.org/Fallout-2/Update%201/

Here it is

Pretty sure the OP for that one was Breetai.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

CJacobs has been streaming Fallout: New Vegas and it's given me the urge to play it again. I tried popping in the mods he's been using, but the game crashes even more than it does in his stream.

I'll either get the game again from GOG, which may be more stable, when it's on sale or *gasp* play it without mods like a gods-damned caveman!

I never knew about the "and stay back" perk, and it looks great!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

LashLightning posted:

CJacobs has been streaming Fallout: New Vegas and it's given me the urge to play it again. I tried popping in the mods he's been using, but the game crashes even more than it does in his stream.

I'll either get the game again from GOG, which may be more stable, when it's on sale or *gasp* play it without mods like a gods-damned caveman!

I never knew about the "and stay back" perk, and it looks great!

Why would the game be more stable if you bought it from GOG?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Your loss. It is unplayable now without some baseline mods to fix stability issues, but once those are installed you can pretty much go hog wild.

Odd, I bought FNV about a year after release and never had stability issues. Has it gotten worse?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Another, even more altruistic way of dealing with the thieving kids in The Den (though I think you do have to walk past them at least a couple times in the process) is to help Mom set up the orphanage. Once that questline is complete, they don't stand by the doors in town anymore. You get to waste a bunch of squatters in the process, as well (I don't know if there's a way to get them to leave without killing them).

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

sirbeefalot posted:

Another, even more altruistic way of dealing with the thieving kids in The Den (though I think you do have to walk past them at least a couple times in the process) is to help Mom set up the orphanage. Once that questline is complete, they don't stand by the doors in town anymore. You get to waste a bunch of squatters in the process, as well (I don't know if there's a way to get them to leave without killing them).

I think that's Restoration Pack only.

And you can convince them to leave, they even work at the orphanage helping the kids.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gynovore posted:

Odd, I bought FNV about a year after release and never had stability issues. Has it gotten worse?

Certain versions of Windows 8 and 10 simply will not play new Vegas without the anti-crash mod installed. After that you'd want the 4gb patcher and ENBoost to counteract the memory leak bug. Beyond that you can sidestep the auto save bug using CASM and punch down microstutter with the stutter remover mod.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Gort posted:

Why would the game be more stable if you bought it from GOG?

When I was looking around at the mods that CJacobs uses, possibly the one that allows the game to work with 4gb ram rather than 2gb, I thought I saw someone mention "this isn't needed for the GOG version as they already include it" or something along those lines. As I understood it, GOG often tries to ensure that their older games will work on newer systems. I could be wrong, though!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Helith posted:

I'm sad I can't romance Deacon. The other guys are boring.

Also I've abandoned actual gameplay to build Vault 88. It's taken a huge amount of time because there are zero explanations of how building actually works and I have to google so drat much.
Plus gently caress getting attacked by raiders while building, they left blood and dead bodies all over my nice clean atrium floor :argh:
It's been a while since I've built a vault, but I don't remember it being that confusing, except maybe for some stuff in the atrium. What problems are you running into?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Gynovore posted:

you're one lucky ducky! I've never been able to find any kind of set-up or any combination of patches and/or mods that has ever made the game stable. when I play FNV, my rule is I play for as long as it takes the game to completely crash, and then when that happens I'm done for the day. typically 30 min - 1 hour.

actually the original PS3 release was pretty stable until your save file got to be longer than like 40 hours played, but that's a problem for any game that uses the Bethesda engine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When I played New Vegas I was resigned to the game crashing at least once every four hours or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Gort posted:

Without Bethesda we don't get Fallout New Vegas.

People can have rose-tinted nostalgia glasses all they want about the experiences they had ten years ago with Fallout 1 and 2, but Fallout New Vegas is the best Fallout experience you can have today.

Your timeline is off. New Vegas was (almost) ten years ago. FO 1/2 were 20+ years ago.