Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I dont know posted:

There is definitely some blackspoloitation in the shows DNA. But it also seems way more interested in examining and trying to understand violence than sensationalizing it. I personally wouldn't call it a blackspoitation show.

Yeah, that's what was tripping me up about it. I'd just call it a character drama (though thinking about it now that term might be redundant with just drama), but I usually don't like character dramas and something about this one has got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm a white guy so take it with the appropriate grain of salt, but I think the difference between "blacksploitation" and "black show" is the "exploitation" part. Those 70s things stand out that way because they were all exaggerated stereotypes and regularly offensive ideas. Luke Cage and Black Panther were both "blacksploitation" characters when invented, so there's going to be some characters or themes that carry over, but like both seem to have been reformed in modern times to be role models and much more balanced representations.

I mean, I haven't noticed a lot that's exploitative about Black Lightning so far. The villain is an interesting question as an albino African American who hangs out with white underlings and seems racist towards his black ones. I'm not sure that's "exploitative" though. Otherwise Jefferson Pierce is an educator and olympic gold medalist with two seemingly well adjusted kids (the older one excelling), his best friend is a top cop, and his father figure is a white tailor. None of that screams "racist stereotype" to me. And they're tackling serious racial and community problems right out the gate.

But white dude, so maybe I'm missing something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A lot of the beats are pretty Blaxploitation in nature, plot and musical, but they're toned die to be less like what they're inspired by and couched with more sober and sobering scenes to give the whole thing a more serious weight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It seems like a question of degrees. Like, "blackploitation" is going to use a lot of things that are true to black communities or culture, it just plays it up to a cartoon level or comes at it from an outsider's perspective. I would think a lot of the difference comes down to if the people behind the scenes are making what they know or making what they THINK black people are like.

So like you can turn on Luke Cage or Black Lightning and say "lol, listen to all the hip hop and soul music for the black characters." But like... hip hop and soul isn't a stereotype in and of itself and lots of people both white and black love it.

If nothing else there's no pimps in fur coats running around either show yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If Black Lightning was closer to a more typical Arrowverse show it'd basically be Black Dynamite with DC Comics characters.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I’m looking forward to episode 3, where Jefferson realizes that there’s absolutely no way to keep his daughters safe in that town unless he starts murdering every single member of The 100, so the family moves.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

If Black Lightning was closer to a more typical Arrowverse show it'd basically be Black Dynamite with DC Comics characters.

You know, that doesn't sound bad, really...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xelkelvos posted:

Ninja please.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Is this on tonight? My TV think's it's Trump instead for some reason.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Unkempt posted:

Is this on tonight? My TV think's it's Trump instead for some reason.

There's a new episode scheduled for tonight, but I suppose it's possible a local affiliate might decide to show the SOTU instead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Because when I decide to watch national politics, I turn to the CW!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I wish Black Lightning was president.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Huh, DC exists in the world of Black Lightning

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The boyfriend is 100% going to get murdered horribly become a cripple. He is too nice.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Tobias is such an entertaining villain goddamn

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I thought the older daughter was the one who broke the sink, now the younger one's punching things across the room like she knew it was possible in the first place? Did I miss a reveal, get people mixed up, or did they skip her initial discovery?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I thought the older daughter was the one who broke the sink, now the younger one's punching things across the room like she knew it was possible in the first place? Did I miss a reveal, get people mixed up, or did they skip her initial discovery?

Mix up. Annessa is the older daughter with the powers (so far). She was the one practicing in the junkyard with the washer. Jennifer is the younger daughter (no powers so far, but it's clearly coming), and she was at the funeral.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Mix up. Annessa is the older daughter with the powers (so far). She was the one practicing in the junkyard with the washer. Jennifer is the younger daughter (no powers so far, but it's clearly coming), and she was at the funeral.

That'd be it then. I'm slow to learn faces and so hang onto other trappings, Jennifer jumped up so fast for the march that I assumed she was the activist-minded sister from the first episode. It doesn't help that they change hairstyles more in an episode than most TV characters do in an entire show.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 31, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just love the dynamic between the sisters on this show. I can't wait to see them kicking as together as Thunder and Lightning themselves.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How old are the daughters?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

How old are the daughters?

Jennifer is two years away from college, so 16 or so. Anissa I'm not sure, 25-ish?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Jennifer is two years away from college, so 16 or so. Anissa I'm not sure, 25-ish?

Jennifer said she was 18 in this episode, and Anissa seems to be in the 21-25-ish range. It’s a CW show though. Age is kinda meaningless. Hell, look at the weirdos in the Arrow thread who think shipping Thea and Quinten is a drat fine idea :barf:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Jennifer said she was 18 in this episode

I forgot about that and pinged off the parents saying "in a couple of years she'll be off to college" so I guess I interpreted couple too literally.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Jennifer said she was 18 in this episode, and Anissa seems to be in the 21-25-ish range. It’s a CW show though. Age is kinda meaningless. Hell, look at the weirdos in the Arrow thread who think shipping Thea and Quinten is a drat fine idea :barf:

Yeah, she's all bone....

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The dinner sex talk scene was hilarious, I loved it.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

RandomBlue posted:

The dinner sex talk scene was hilarious, I loved it.

Definitely a highlight. "We did want a strong independent young woman." *averts eyes turns head to down a glass of wine*

though if that was my parents it would have immediately gone into... "well let me tell you about STDs! And the wonderful colors they come in!"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That was weird, is that a thing you need to announce to your parents in the first place nowadays?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dinner sex talk was hilarious and good. If I have anything to complain about it's the hilarious hollywood junk yard with random engine parts stacked hundreds of feet in the air.

Thread needs a title update, I thought that was the show's tagline when I made it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Black Lightning: Saturday is Sex Day.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Avalerion posted:

That was weird, is that a thing you need to announce to your parents in the first place nowadays?

It was a very mature and responsible thing if a bit "liberal" as they put it. The talk between Jefferson and the boyfriend was 100% awkward too which really made the scene of him getting shot hurt more.

It does make me wonder just a little if the shot being missed was intentional or an accident (the trajectory was also weird, but I can chalk that up to going through someone's body before heading downward at a relatively sharper angle).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So Whale thinks Black Lightning is dead but it also seems like Black Lightning thinks Whale is dead. Have to wonder how that came about.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

So Whale thinks Black Lightning is dead but it also seems like Black Lightning thinks Whale is dead. Have to wonder how that came about.

Gonna guess Dexter's dad lied to him. Also there will be cheap drama involved when this is revealed

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm glad the Rev survived. I'm white as hell and the motherfucker moved me.

I love this goddamn show so much.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm glad the Rev survived. I'm white as hell and the motherfucker moved me.

I love this goddamn show so much.

It was the "I'm tired." line that sold me.

And the music continues to be on point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really likes the whole argument between Jefferson, the Rev, and the cop. Three community leaders who all seems to sincerely want the same thing and all have legitimate points about the methods to get there.

Like, I'm really intrigued by the cop because I can't quite figure him out. In another show he'd be crooked or at least blindly obsessed with catching the vigilante. But he actually seems on the up and up. I'm curious to see if that holds up and when/if Jefferson lets him in on his secret.

Also very curious to see when his kids find out. It all seems very set up for Black Lightning to cross paths with Anissa in the streets and for Jennifer to find out when she finds her dad convulsing in pain on the floor with electric bursts.

And Tobias is an interesting villain and now I'm not even sure if he's the top of his food chain.

Generally there's just a lot of stuff I'm interested in going on. I'm hooked.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 1, 2018

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Tobias grinching out about the march was great. Don't think the season ends with his heart growing three sizes, though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

I really likes the whole argument between Jefferson, the Rev, and the cop. Three community leaders who all seems to sincerely want the same thing and all have legitimate points about the methods to get there.

Like, I'm really intrigued by the cop because I can't quite figure him out. In another show he'd be crooked or at least blindly obsessed with catching the vigilante. But he actually seems on the up and up. I'm curious to see if that holds up and when/if Jefferson lets him in on his secret.

Also very curious to see when his kids find out. It all seems very set up for Black Lightning to cross paths with Anissa in the streets and for Jennifer to find out when she finds her dad convulsing in pain on the floor with electric bursts.

And Tobias is an interesting villain and now I'm not even sure if he's the top of his food chain.

Generally there's just a lot of stuff I'm interested in going on. I'm hooked.

The cop is incredibly interesting because he's legitimately trying to do the right thing within an increasingly corrupt system and he's one of the last people trying to reform it. If he turns out to be on the take I'm almost certain it'll be protection money for family or a ruse to nail Tobias that got out of hand, but I honestly don't think he is.

Wanna see him grow into a commissioner Gordon role with black lightning tho.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

OB_Juan posted:

Tobias grinching out about the march was great. Don't think the season ends with his heart growing three sizes, though.

They sing without juicers. They sing without blenders. They sing without flungers, cabdabblers, and smendlers!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've been trying to place why exactly this show is really grabbing me immediately (besides being black) and I think it's because it feels like the first superhero show to treat the hero as an integral part of the community and not just an outsider who goes to work and has a secret identity but feels separate from the city. Arrow and Flash are nominally about a hero saving their cities but you never get a feel for the setting outside of the main character's close circle of friends and the villains often feel like personal adversaries attacking the city as a way to get to the hero. In three episodes Black Lightning has done way more to flesh out the city of Freeland and the people who live there. BL is the main character with superpowers but it never feels like he's the center of the universe, just one guy in a larger community with its own set of systemic problems and a whole bunch of people trying to make things better in their own way. It feels like a superhero show where regular everyday people really matter and that's something I could definitely use around now :unsmith:

OB_Juan posted:

Tobias is like if Uncle Ruckus became a mob boss, I love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
So I am fairly positive Eve isn't Tobias' superior. More likely something of a more senior equal in whatever enterprise their group is in. You don't bring a peace offering to your boss as apology for your (underlings') gently caress up. That's already your boss' money. But she's definitely got more clout than he does. He was cautious, but not fearful.

As for Henderson? He's a 'Good Cop'. Not crooked. Not on the take. Genuinely trying to do right by the community. Blind to the inequities of his police force. Quick to defend and absolve them of any wrongdoing.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 3, 2018

• Locked thread