Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I post mostly outside of work or during lunch because I don't have time most days, because I'm working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

I post mostly outside of work or during lunch because I don't have time most days, because I'm working.

you have this the wrong way

it is your duty to steal as much as possible from your employer.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My figgies don't earn themselves unfortunately

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i don't see how there is a conflict here between earning as much as possible and stealing as much time / salary / office supplies

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

qhat posted:

My figgies don't earn themselves unfortunately

They do for those exploiting your labor.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
posting is my career

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HoboMan posted:

i def mostly post at work

I am posting from work right now :ssh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HoboMan posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

look at this idiot who sucks at his job

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Appearing busy and productive while farting around most of the day is the most important skill

Also getting a day's worth of work done in an hour or two, because you're actually turbo-productive when you need to

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HoboMan posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
always be posting

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I have some sort of 2.5hr "non-technical" webcam-based skills test tomorrow.

:ohdear:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Schadenboner posted:

:wink:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

as with all remote meetings, pants are optional

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Schadenboner posted:

Rip

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Poor 'ol Schadenboner, thought of career advancement and died.

:(

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 30, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
having lunch with a hiring manager in another group. first date jitters until he shows up, ugh.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

having lunch with a hiring manager in another group. first date jitters until he shows up, ugh.

How did it go?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Schadenboner posted:

How did it go?

second date looking promising.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
internal transfers suck because you always end up still getting called for help from your previous group

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cheque_some posted:

internal transfers suck because you always end up still getting called for help from your previous group

Even in the hell hole that was my old job it was expected that I would tell my previous teams to gently caress off if they tried to pull me away from current responsibilities.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
their poo poo was broken before I got there. they tried it with the guy who actually wrote it and he blew them off so I’m pretty sure I can do it too,

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

cheque_some posted:

lol "Take It Up With My Manager"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
like geez i learned that one back when i was bagging groceries

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If a recruiter comes up to you on LinkedIn, does anyone else right off the bat ask what the compensation range is? Most of these guys just want to speak to me for half an hour on the phone or at coffee or whatever, half an hour that I don't got to just realise they want to pay less than what I already earn.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

qhat posted:

If a recruiter comes up to you on LinkedIn, does anyone else right off the bat ask what the compensation range is? Most of these guys just want to speak to me for half an hour on the phone or at coffee or whatever, half an hour that I don't got to just realise they want to pay less than what I already earn.

don’t talk to recruiters unless you absolutely need a job and you won’t have this problem

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

meatpotato posted:

don’t talk to recruiters unless you absolutely need a job and you won’t have this problem

A truth that never stops being true

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

cheque_some posted:

I got that but with please help us with an incident, roughly a year after I had quit that job

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qhat posted:

I tried this a few times and it’s a guaranteed way to kill the conversation. what you want is for them to decide that they need you first. then the hiring manager can put pressure on the recruiter to come up with the number you want.

one time, for a change, I decided to try the opposite approach. very early in the conversation I said “my total comp is this much. are we playing in the same ballpark?” she stammered out some half-hearted thing about stock and whatever and said she’d get back to me. she never got back to me.

I do ask for a detailed job description in email before I waste any time on the phone.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

qhat posted:

If a recruiter comes up to you on LinkedIn, does anyone else right off the bat ask what the compensation range is?
yes

one of my colleagues had the bright idea of adding a google form to his profile and ignoring any recruiters who don't use it

first question: how much

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

interviewed a dude who was technically very proficient and we intentionally threw some easier vague beginner technical questions like "explain to me how x works" or "can you tell me the difference between x and y?", and the guy seemed visibly flustered as if that stuff was beneath him and later ended up leaving very quickly without waiting for info on when he'd be called back.

I think the dude implicitly failed the "can you, as a technical leader, explain things to junior members of the team" part of the interview without realizing it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

no one cold calling you off linkedin is ever worth your time

recruiters are a necessary evil, sure, but the ones who are trolling linkedin are the bottom-feeders' bottom-feeder. they literally had nothing better to do than pitch long shots.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I tried this a few times and it’s a guaranteed way to kill the conversation. what you want is for them to decide that they need you first. then the hiring manager can put pressure on the recruiter to come up with the number you want.

yeah the comp range advertised by hr is not like, a hard and fast rule. when it comes time to negotiate all things are flexible

it's more important to find companies you want to work for, and recruiters who have connections to those firms, than it is to try and winnow opportunities by comp early in the process

(remember, the companies are also trying to winnow candidates by comp demand, early in the process, so the best you can ever get out of it is mutually screening each other out for a reason that could have easily been overcome during negotiations)

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

only ever respond to in-house recruiters at firms you'd actually like to work for. delete everything else.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no one cold calling you off linkedin is ever worth your time

recruiters are a necessary evil, sure, but the ones who are trolling linkedin are the bottom-feeders' bottom-feeder. they literally had nothing better to do than pitch long shots.

if you have a very specific niche that actually narrows down the pool a bunch it can be useful but that's about it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah the comp range advertised by hr is not like, a hard and fast rule. when it comes time to negotiate all things are flexible

it's more important to find companies you want to work for, and recruiters who have connections to those firms, than it is to try and winnow opportunities by comp early in the process

(remember, the companies are also trying to winnow candidates by comp demand, early in the process, so the best you can ever get out of it is mutually screening each other out for a reason that could have easily been overcome during negotiations)

Ideally, you'd not even consider wasting your time at an on-site interview if the starting point for their salary expectations is so low it's laughable. There are companies here in Vancouver that think C$70-80k is a competitive salary for an engineer with almost a decade of experience, even when you've got Amazon knocking at their door offering over 120k on the low end. I guess it does just come down to ignoring the peasants trolling LinkedIn and actively contact in-house recruiters directly.

qhat fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 31, 2018

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's probably a perfectly fine salary for the candidates they'll take

tons of company will put on an internal/external face of wanting the best and the brightest but then offer no comp and no work that would be even interesting to anyone and then filling up the place with people that are cool with it for one reason or another

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i dont program in my free time, why would i have a github

why would any company willingly contribute to open source

serious q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Share Bear posted:

i dont program in my free time, why would i have a github

why would any company willingly contribute to open source