Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Arcsquad12 posted:

Certain versions of Windows 8 and 10 simply will not play new Vegas without the anti-crash mod installed. After that you'd want the 4gb patcher and ENBoost to counteract the memory leak bug. Beyond that you can sidestep the auto save bug using CASM and punch down microstutter with the stutter remover mod.

Does ENBoost actually, demonstrably help with anything, let alone help enough to justify plugging the work of a gay-basher who's still pissed about having to move off of Windows XP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dont be mean to me posted:

Does ENBoost actually, demonstrably help with anything, let alone help enough to justify plugging the work of a gay-basher who's still pissed about having to move off of Windows XP?

Enboost basically creates a paged memory system for new vegas. Often even with the 4gb patch you will get an "out of memory" crash. Using Enboost it will stop this by allocating more memory as needed. It won't let new Vegas use more than 4gb but it will plug the memory leak.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Internet Kraken posted:

When I played New Vegas I was resigned to the game crashing at least once every four hours or so.

I had hundreds of hours of new Vegas on pC and only had a couple crashes. I did have the unofficial patch installed though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wolfsheim posted:

Geez Lois, this is worse than the time I played chess against that radscorpion wearing glasses

Well, that was the hardest I've laughed in a while, thanks :respek:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Internet Kraken posted:

When I played New Vegas I was resigned to the game crashing at least once every four hours or so.

The only problem I had with NV was that on a very long playthrough, when the savefile gets over 10mb, crashes would occasionally happen on autosaves. The fix is either to disable autosaves, or to tweak it so as to reset cells sooner.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gynovore posted:

The only problem I had with NV was that on a very long playthrough, when the savefile gets over 10mb, crashes would occasionally happen on autosaves. The fix is either to disable autosaves, or to tweak it so as to reset cells sooner.

I remember that apparently the PS3 (and to a much lesser degree, the 360) version definitely required you to turn off 'autosave on fast-travel'.

But then if you really wanted the proper NV experience, why the hell were you fast-travelling in the first place? :colbert: :clint:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
I can attest to both F3/NV on the PS3 being terribly broken. In one part of the map of F3 you couldn't even look in a certain direction without getting severe lag and graphical errors, and I even ended up blowing up Megaton hoping to free up some memory or something by killing off a bunch of superfluous NPCs (it didn't really work).

F4 on the PS4 has been pretty great comparatively. A few crashes here and there, but almost all of them occurred during that very first vertibird trip you take with Danse to go to the Prydwen.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Glazius posted:

It's been a while since I've built a vault, but I don't remember it being that confusing, except maybe for some stuff in the atrium. What problems are you running into?

I'm pretty much sorted now, but figuring out how the atrium pieces worked and getting the roof pieces snapping together was time consuming as the first intro to vault building.
Next was figuring out how to get electricity working (who knew that it magically flowed through the walls and you just needed the special vault transmitter thing on the wall to enable that room)
Then connecting the water pump to the vault generator. It took a while to work out how to get power from an exterior vault wall to connect to the wires I'd run down the train tunnel (basically snap some atrium walls to the exterior to make a sort of porch as the vault transmitters don't work on exterior walls but will work on atrium walls that aren't totally enclosed as a room)
Then just little things like rooms needing to started from the door piece first and built out from there otherwise the pieces don't snap together and that stairs don't stack on top of each other.

To be fair I'm new to the game and this is my first build in it as I'd largely ignored settlements beyond the basics, but yeah there's very little explanation of the mechanics of it though it's easy enough when you've figured out the rules and how it works.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So did the weird settlement bug in Fallout 4 ever get fixed, mod or otherwise? I'm talking about the one where if walked or fast traveled away from a settlement it suddenly decided you didn't have enough resources. I'd love to play Fallout 4 again but man that was really frustrating.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

OneMoreTime posted:

So did the weird settlement bug in Fallout 4 ever get fixed, mod or otherwise? I'm talking about the one where if walked or fast traveled away from a settlement it suddenly decided you didn't have enough resources. I'd love to play Fallout 4 again but man that was really frustrating.

Nope; still there.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
Were there actually downsides to settlements lacking resources, though? Other than settlers whining about it I didn't really notice a difference, and it's not like defenses amounted to much anytime a settlement was attacked.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

A settlement may eventually withdraw their support for you, but it takes FOREVER and you'll just get another mission to recruit them right away. Other than that, unhappiness somehow affects income, but who cares about that.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

A settlement may eventually withdraw their support for you, but it takes FOREVER and you'll just get another mission to recruit them right away. Other than that, unhappiness somehow affects income, but who cares about that.

Ok so this changes things a bit, I thought there were bigger consequences like settlers leaving or something. Maybe I'll actually load up my old fallout 4 save then.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

I've never, ever, ever had the problem of a settlement leaving - I only know that eventually it can happen because I've seen it on some youtube video or something...and the happiness rating was below 40%, and there was a big warning on the screen of the player.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OneMoreTime posted:

Ok so this changes things a bit, I thought there were bigger consequences like settlers leaving or something. Maybe I'll actually load up my old fallout 4 save then.

Nope. The only real consequence is they become a bit less productive so it doesn't really matter all that much. The simplest way to deal with it is to just overproduce the gently caress out of everything. Like have multiple settlements just making GBS threads out food and water and quit caring. They need to be absurdly unhappy for a long period of time before they'll say "gently caress you."

Though the only thing that actually matters about settlements is that industrial water purifiers are basically mints. Money just kind of quits mattering once you get enough of them set up.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 31, 2018

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

F1/2/NV are so goddamn good. I actually really liked F3 because "Oh my god an actual new Fallout game holy poo poo!" even though I really miss the old isometric style. F4 ran out of gas for me like halfway through the main story. I'll probably end up trying it again, but for some reason it just really didn't grab me. I'd say I really want a remaster of FNV but knowing Bethesda they'll release it with all the same goddamn problems and just smooth out the graphics a bit.

I also kind of miss Deathclaws being a really scary boogeyman. Like in F1, they're spoken about in hushed whispers. Now they're just part of the really angry scenery.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nope. The only real consequence is they become a bit less productive so it doesn't really matter all that much. The simplest way to deal with it is to just overproduce the gently caress out of everything. Like have multiple settlements just making GBS threads out food and water and quit caring. They need to be absurdly unhappy for a long period of time before they'll say "gently caress you."

Though the only thing that actually matters about settlements is that industrial water purifiers are basically mints. Money just kind of quits mattering once you get enough of them set up.

Awesome, I appreciate all this! Time to fire that back up!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The leveling system in 4 is horrible. In fact, I would say 4 is actually a very weak entry in the fallout series, even compared to 3. I don't like how lazy Bethesda was with the perk system, writing, settlement building, UIs, and other stuff. I feel like 3 was a much better attempt on their part. I would definitely rather they bring in obsidian again to make any future titles. Bethesda is far better at publishing games than they are at making them.

Overall, the better shooting is the only compliment I can really give Fallout 4. I enjoy the game with the 88 mods I currently have installed, but I would never want to play it without the mods.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

The Skeleton King posted:

The leveling system in 4 is horrible. In fact, I would say 4 is actually a very weak entry in the fallout series, even compared to 3. I don't like how lazy Bethesda was with the perk system, writing, settlement building, UIs, and other stuff. I feel like 3 was a much better attempt on their part. I would definitely rather they bring in obsidian again to make any future titles. Bethesda is far better at publishing games than they are at making them.

Overall, the better shooting is the only compliment I can really give Fallout 4. I enjoy the game with the 88 mods I currently have installed, but I would never want to play it without the mods.

Yeah, it's...not a good game. Or at least compared to NV. I honestly only stuck with it after I learned how to break settlement building so I could make insane, sprawling towns...and then I found the settlement bug and welp.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I really disliked how boring the weapons in FO4 looked, there was so little variety compared to New Vegas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

I also kind of miss Deathclaws being a really scary boogeyman. Like in F1, they're spoken about in hushed whispers. Now they're just part of the really angry scenery.

I totally agree with this. I feel like the same sort of thing kind of happened with Super Mutants. When you'd encounter one in FO1, it was a terrifying experience. Very soon into FO3, you're able to pretty much deal with them with little issue. Am I just mis-remembering how dangerous they were in the first game?

I don't want to poo poo on FO3 that much, even though I greatly prefer NV to it, but the one thing that 3 did perfectly was the music on the radio. Goddamn, now that is how you make a soundtrack.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Helith posted:

I'm pretty much sorted now, but figuring out how the atrium pieces worked and getting the roof pieces snapping together was time consuming as the first intro to vault building.
Next was figuring out how to get electricity working (who knew that it magically flowed through the walls and you just needed the special vault transmitter thing on the wall to enable that room)
Then connecting the water pump to the vault generator. It took a while to work out how to get power from an exterior vault wall to connect to the wires I'd run down the train tunnel (basically snap some atrium walls to the exterior to make a sort of porch as the vault transmitters don't work on exterior walls but will work on atrium walls that aren't totally enclosed as a room)
Then just little things like rooms needing to started from the door piece first and built out from there otherwise the pieces don't snap together and that stairs don't stack on top of each other.

To be fair I'm new to the game and this is my first build in it as I'd largely ignored settlements beyond the basics, but yeah there's very little explanation of the mechanics of it though it's easy enough when you've figured out the rules and how it works.

Mmm. Yeah, the real thing that'll trip you up there is that for some inexplicable reason the cave floor isn't even. If you start building out in the cave, even if you get the distance right, you might end up very slightly off on the Z-axis since the rooms themselves will hug the ground if they get the chance. Snapbuilding outward just fit my style better, I guess.

You can pick up something and all its nearby bits by holding down the A button when you grab it, but when you're working with a vault where the entire thing's made out of the Lego of your choice, that doesn't really work out too well in practice.

As an advancement system for a game where you play exactly one character, Fallout 4's alright. Nobody ever made meaningful choices on where to put exactly one skill point anyway - it was all in blocks of 5 or 10 or 25 at a time. I could see a couple enhancements to it, like having to alternate between perks that put your damage/hack level/crit bonus up and perks that gave you some neat effect, or a derived attribute system where your stat points and perk choices would combine into ratings that could interact with dialogue New Vegas-style.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

I really disliked how boring the weapons in FO4 looked, there was so little variety compared to New Vegas.

I was really hyped for the gun customization, but it ended up surprisingly hard to do. You can't just remove parts from guns to create your ideal frankengun without the necessary perks and resources to craft a standard version of that part to replace it with, so unless you really prioritize leveling into that you're not going to do a lot of gun modding for much of the game.

One of the first things I downloaded was a mod that lets you craft the standard version of any part for free, so you can pull interesting parts off of the guns you loot and create something wicked from the results. Unfortunately the rest of the game just isn't enough to keep me going.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

F1/2/NV are so goddamn good. I actually really liked F3 because "Oh my god an actual new Fallout game holy poo poo!" even though I really miss the old isometric style.

Honestly, while FNV is a better game, I like the feel of FO3 better. FNV is more civilised, but there's a certain appeal to more of a wasteland.

I'd really like a fallout game set back closer to the postwar, when things were more chaotic and wasted. Most vaults were set to open after 20 years; I reckon a fallout game where you're an advance scout out of one of those before it plans to open properly and build a Vault City would be good. They could bring in the settlement system as you first building advance scout bases, and then later helping actually build the foothold of the city.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 31, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

chitoryu12 posted:

I was really hyped for the gun customization, but it ended up surprisingly hard to do. You can't just remove parts from guns to create your ideal frankengun without the necessary perks and resources to craft a standard version of that part to replace it with, so unless you really prioritize leveling into that you're not going to do a lot of gun modding for much of the game.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised they didn't just hand you all the individual mods as the return for scrapping the gun, and then you can scrap the mods if you really want that extra screw or copper or whatever. Seems like that would've been the cleanest way of handling things.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Am I the only one who didn't really like Fallout 2? I came to the original years after new vegas, but with the first game I was drawn in immediately. Every new town and village had interesting quests and people to interact with. The main plot was great and they nailed the atmosphere. Fallout 2 smoothed over a ton of the control problems I had with the original, but the whole tone was way to filled with lovely pop culture references. The game seemed way too long, there were so many towns I entered did one quest and then left. The opening was awful, and by the time I got to San Fransisco I was just begging for the game to end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Glazius posted:

As an advancement system for a game where you play exactly one character, Fallout 4's alright. Nobody ever made meaningful choices on where to put exactly one skill point anyway - it was all in blocks of 5 or 10 or 25 at a time. I could see a couple enhancements to it, like having to alternate between perks that put your damage/hack level/crit bonus up and perks that gave you some neat effect, or a derived attribute system where your stat points and perk choices would combine into ratings that could interact with dialogue New Vegas-style.

One thing I speculated they would do (And what I still wish they'd gone with) was combine the learn-by-doing approach of Skyrim with the Challenge Perks from New Vegas. For example, like in Skyrim you'd be able to lockpick/hack any chest/terminal right off the bat, and every 25 or so successful attempts would grant a perk to make it easier. Or for weapons, you'd get damage or capability boosting perks for however much damage you deal with that kind of weapon.

Instead we got the perk chart

hooray

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Speaking of story, the thematic whiplash between doing the "Kill Danse he's a synth traitor, humanity bombed itself because science went too far!!" quest And then immediately moving to "lets rebuild the jingoistic robot that literally chucks nukes at things" quest was real harsh.

On the whole the story seemed to make prewar out to be an OK place that just incidentally blew up.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

The leveling system in 4 is horrible. In fact, I would say 4 is actually a very weak entry in the fallout series, even compared to 3.

This is a common sentiment, but...not really? Both skew hard against the formula especially compared to something like FNV, but 4 is definitely a more refined/improved version of 3, to me.

Skill checks: These weren't in 4, but they were barely in 3. I think there's maybe a half dozen in the entire game, and the 'speech check as a percentage that you can reload' is a dumb design decision present in both.

Karma: F3 has a really stupid karma system. FNV basically ignored it but F4 just took it out entirely, which was the right call.

Weapons: F3 has absolutely dogshit weapons. For small arms, there's literally two shotguns in the game, three pistols, and maybe four rifles? F4 still suffers from a lack of variety, but the addition of various legendaries and being able to mod weapons extensively helped. Turning a lovely bolt-action pipe rifle I found in the very first area of the game into a high-end silenced sniper rifle that carried me through my first twenty levels was great (again, nothing on the absolutely enormous amount of weapons in FNV, but still an improvement over F3).

Main quest: F3's plot was you fighting the same super mutant army from F1 until the villains from F2 show up and you fight them instead. You are railroaded into working with the BoS and then are given the option to betray them at the end for no reason. Working with the Enclave or any other faction or even not helping Liam Neeson is never an option, even if you spent the last twenty hours of the game being a genocidal cannibal slaver. In F4, the Institute isn't really fleshed out but you can work with them if you want, or any of the other factions. At any point you're allowed to secretly betray or just outright murder the leaders of every faction except the Minutemen. The sheer amount of choice compared to F3 is huge, even if it's not as nuanced or interesting a choice as FNV.

Side quests: This is tricky because both are filled with absolutely terrible sidequests. Like, sure, the Wasteland survival guide questline is great, but so is the Silver Shroud, or the Cabot house quests. Conversely, for every nonsensical insane garbage quest like the kid in the fridge, there's the stupid subway vampires from F3. This one might be a draw, honestly.

Companions: Companions in F3 have about as much personality as companions in Skyrim, which amounts to 2-3 introductory lines before you hire them and then generic combat barks for the rest of the game. Companions in F4 are some of the most fleshed-out NPCs in the game (okay, not Strong or the Institute guy, but everyone else) and react to the plot, have personal quests, etc. Nick Valentine is a better character than basically anyone you meet in F3.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 31, 2018

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

You can help the Enclave by giving them the code.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The main reason people prefer 3 to 4 is that 4 is just unfinished, nonsensical and often just irritating, even if it is more mature than 3 in many ways.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm starting a new New Vegas playthrough. I haven't really played an evil/rear end in a top hat playthrough, but I hate Caesar's Legion and don't wanna join them. Can I still play through fine and without joining them while still being kinda evil?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mr E posted:

I'm starting a new New Vegas playthrough. I haven't really played an evil/rear end in a top hat playthrough, but I hate Caesar's Legion and don't wanna join them. Can I still play through fine and without joining them while still being kinda evil?

I don't see why not. None of the factions are explicitly "good" factions, just different flavors. For the most part they don't really care about good vs evil, just their own personal interests. Except for yes-man. He likes whatever you like.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I totally agree with this. I feel like the same sort of thing kind of happened with Super Mutants. When you'd encounter one in FO1, it was a terrifying experience. Very soon into FO3, you're able to pretty much deal with them with little issue. Am I just mis-remembering how dangerous they were in the first game?

I think the root problem is that FO3 was just way too easy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr E posted:

Absolutely. New Vegas is a well written game that provides plenty of RP opportunities, so you can be an rear end in a top hat that those "good" things. My NCR playthrough was an insane survivalist that cannibalized literally everyone they killed because that would be "wasting food". In the quest where you recover the body of a dead soldier I even carved a choice cut out of him before dragging the corpse back to base. So obviously this character was not a nice person, but they still had plenty of reason to side with the "good" faction over Caesar's fanclub.

Its really kind of hard to play as a character that would ever side with Caesar in the first place though. Across all my playthroughs I never did it because it never felt right.

Gynovore posted:

I think the root problem is that FO3 was just way too easy.

Well Fallout 1/2 aren't exactly difficult games, they are just obtuse ones. If you are doing the wrong stuff you get destroyed but knowing where to get the best gear early on can completely break the game more than anything you do in Fallout 3 will.

I don't think I ever enjoyed the combat in Fallout 2. I was struggling to kill loving geckos for the first few hours and then I pickpocketed some insane gun off a guy in a random encounter. I instantly went from dying to everything to blowing through every encounter with incredible ease.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 31, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, Fallout 2 had some serious pacing issues going on. Especially in the early part of the game that starts off with that godawful Temple of Trials and lasts until about Vault City by which point you should have gained enough levels to round out your character. This is made a bit easier if you tag Pickpocket and steal everything you can in Klamath, Redding and Modoc.

My main beef with Fallout 1 was the drat time limit. If you take too long to beat the game you get locked into the worst endings no matter what. Who the hell creates this giant, open world for you to explore and grow in then slaps a time limit on it?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I played a frumentarii character and it was really drat fun. Sneak around, do the Armed for Bear challenge without being detected, take NCR quests and cock them up, sweet-talk your way into Hoover Dam and get into the armory, basically do all you can to sabotage the NCR without getting any heat on you.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The problem with Fallout 1/2's combat is you don't have any abilities or options, really. There's no skills for stunning people or knocking back enemies on command, or swinging a weapon in an arc or anything like that. You just have attacking a single target, hitting enemies with burst fire, or using a grenade to hit multiple guys (which I never did since grenades are rare and lovely anyway). Aimed shots seem like a tactical option, but really you're better off making headshots once your weapon skill's high enough since one of the rolled effects for a crit is killing a target instantly.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the first things I downloaded was a mod that lets you craft the standard version of any part for free, so you can pull interesting parts off of the guns you loot and create something wicked from the results. Unfortunately the rest of the game just isn't enough to keep me going.

You don't need perks to craft the standard item in any gun slot.

...well, maybe you did. I don't know if they patched that or not, but in the base game as it currently stands, there's a perk-free craft for every weapon slot. It does still need materials, though, but those aren't usually rare or in huge numbers for the base item.

Yes, that probably means that if you see a gun with a part you want, you have to hope you've just scrounged enough scrap for the basic version and a wild workbench has appeared, or cart the whole thing back to wherever you have a base set up. That's why I install Salvage Beacons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Love the thread title. gently caress No Mutants allowed

Here's my hot take I guess. Fallout 4 pisses me off because it feels like a straight tradeoff between better actual gameplay, at the cost of a horrible piece of poo poo story. It's the anti-new vegas. I could power through the storyline with it's half baked Fallout 3 mechanics because I was absolutely engrossed in the story. Fallout 4 storywise is so goddamn boring that I just quit. I'm up to the point where i have to find the institute, but I have to gather some stuff i guess, I straight up do not care.

What the hell were they thinking? I get the feeling that they would've expanded more on the pre-war era stuff a little bit more, and in the end, they had to stick to a small part of the game, and build an entire story around it through your son.