Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
edit: dp b/c this thread is talking about the same stuff as TG.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's almost zero Arthurian legend in Richie's King Arthur. It's one of his lad movies with a magic sword.
I watched the first ten minutes, and all I learned was that they seemed to be aware that yes, there were two black guys in King Arthur's court.

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it definitely does. I mean I don't think Demme was particularly influenced by Tarantino, but when you look at the reactions to the Hannibal character its many imitators, I mean this was the time when as a kid I could walk into a comic book store and buy trading cards of serial killers. The serial killer was definitely the monster of the 90s.
The 90s were obsessed with being edgy as gently caress. At one point I asked myself "Was the 90s a really adolescent decade, or am I just saying that because I was an adolescent at the time?" It wasn't just me. Like, I went back and looked at old magazines and stuff, and marketing and advertising were more preoccupied with being transgressive for its own sake. I have complicated personal theories about it centered on the end of the Soviet Union and the creation of the public Internet.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Brian Taylor has said recently that he's interested in doing a Crank 3 but it has to be "exponentially more hosed up" than 2 for him to be willing to do it.

I can't even imagine this, but I know I want it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Brian Taylor has said recently that he's interested in doing a Crank 3 but it has to be "exponentially more hosed up" than 2 for him to be willing to do it.

Around the time Crank 2: High Voltage came out, I remember a quote from Neveldine/Taylor claiming they’d only do Crank 3 if they could make it 3D.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

brocked posted:

It's alright. McTeer's character is fun, Paz Vega looks nice, but it also has D.L. Hughley as a serious negative for me. I'd put it about on a level with Shoot Em Up, but it doesn't feature a lactating Monica Bellucci.

The whole thing felt like some Serbo-Montenegran tax fraud scheme but McTeer is fantastic.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Crank 3 should be about Chev Chellios fighting has way back to life through his own personal, surreal hell. It would give them an excuse to bring back any living or dead character, and lean into whatever absurdism that Neveldine/Taylor could come up with.

Think Bill & Ted’s bogus journey starring Jason Statham.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I don't think I've seen Lockout mentioned. It is a pretty fun movie about Guy Pearce having to rescue someone from a space jail.

Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1592525/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I don't think I've seen Lockout mentioned. It is a pretty fun movie about Guy Pearce having to rescue someone from a space jail.

Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1592525/

Not just someone, but Shannon from LOST! That was a surprisingly good movie, agreed.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Escape From New York.... In Space!

It was great

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

brocked posted:

It was great

Wasn't Ghosts of Mars originally an Escape movie in space?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shoombo posted:

Wasn't Ghosts of Mars originally an Escape movie in space?

Yea, Escape From Mars. Carpenter wanted a legit budget to do something that ambitious though, and when he didn't get it he just changed it into another Rio Bravo remake.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I almost love Ghosts Of Mars, it’s just so chock-full of ridiculous ideas, and you can see where a couple tweaks would have made it something special. As it is, though, it’s a dumb fun movie from someone you know can do better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I watched a lot of 90s action movies back to back and they all just feel so samey. Waterworld, Ghosts of Mars, they're all just shot in this very functional style. And Super Mario Bros serves as a really awful example of the formula.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I watched a lot of 90s action movies back to back and they all just feel so samey. Waterworld, Ghosts of Mars, they're all just shot in this very functional style. And Super Mario Bros serves as a really awful example of the formula.

Gary Kibbe was Carpenter's cinematographer for a lot of his later stuff, and I'm wondering if he picked up some lazy habits when he shot Body Bags, which was made for television. Village of the Damned, Vampires, and Ghosts of Mars are all lacking that cinematic touch that most of Carpenters 80's stuff had.

That said, Kibbe shot In the Mouth of Madness after he did Body Bags so who knows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
What started the trend of action movies with set-pieces that are like a giant Rube Goldberg device that takes a very long time to play out? I suppose it was the Pirates of the Caribbean revival.

I wish that it had really revived the adventure film as a genre, instead.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ghosts Of Mars has some interesting worldbuilding, what with the matriarchal government and all, and the vague history of the antagonists. No lie, I’d love to see Dark Horse put out like a five issue sequel series or something. Like all Carpenter movies, there’s threads to pull on. It’s just a case of using the right hands, and as much as I 1000% adore John Carpenter, it’s hard to argue the movie didn’t get away from him.

The score is also pretty great. No surprise there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There's stuff I want to love about Ghosts of Mars but the movie is just so bad.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Around the time Ghosts Of Mars features a flashback-within-a-flashback is when you’ll figure out if it fits your definition of dumb or fun-dumb.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Not an action movie, but the oft-riffed film Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny is my favorite example of that, because it's a film about Santa Claus calling out to some kids to tell them a story about a girl going to an amusement park to listen to a narrator tell her to look at some dioramas to perceive another movie that opens up with a flashback.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

I wish that it had really revived the adventure film as a genre, instead.

The Mummy with Brendan Fraser could have done that. Too bad about the sequels. (I remember really liking The Mummy Returns when it came out, but I was 10 at the time so my memories of it are probably more charitable than a revisit would be. Didn't like the one with Jet Li.)

The Mask of Zorro could have done it as well, but that was odd because it was a very successful movie and everybody liked it, then they just did nothing with the character or the property in general for nearly 10 years and came out with a weak sequel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think I'm still a little mad at Mummy Returns.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

brocked posted:

It was great

Carpenter sued the filmmakers and court decided that yes, it was Escape from New York... In Space and that they owed him a lot of money.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think I'm still a little mad at Mummy Returns.

It’s mind-blowing how bloated and clunky it is. Like, the first flick was by no means a great piece of complex storytelling, but at least it was coherent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Carpenter sued the filmmakers and court decided that yes, it was Escape from New York... In Space and that they owed him a lot of money.
If Jodorowsky got a credit on all the movies that have just blatantly ripped him off, his filmography would double.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Reminder, with Black Panther coming out: we'll be lucky if it's half as good as Blade.

http://outlawvern.com/2016/04/04/the-loose-canon-blade/

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You could say that about any movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hmmmm...that's true.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I... honestly can’t of anything I would change in the first Blade movie. Like, you wouldn’t really think of it as a “perfect” movie, but for what it is and what genre it’s a part of... it’s pretty goddamn close to perfect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

It’s mind-blowing how bloated and clunky it is.

I expect it is, but when I was little I really liked the bit where Brendan Fraser's fighting mummies on a London bus with a shotgun and the bit where he has to outrun the sun by staying within a shadow as it recedes towards a building.

One thing that's interesting about that era of action movies is how everything seemed to be approached as a one-and-done affair without much consideration given to whether there would be a sequel or not, which leaves the sequel feeling a bit unnecessary. See: Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life et al. It's the opposite of what we have today where Hollywood is littered with the corpses of failed Shared Cinematic UniverseTM projects. :v:

(Speaking of which, that first Brendan Fraser Mummy movie is what Universal should've tried to do for their Dark Universe venture.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Reminder, with Black Panther coming out: we'll be lucky if it's half as good as Blade.

http://outlawvern.com/2016/04/04/the-loose-canon-blade/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

I... honestly can’t of anything I would change in the first Blade movie. Like, you wouldn’t really think of it as a “perfect” movie, but for what it is and what genre it’s a part of... it’s pretty goddamn close to perfect.

The beginning of the film is literally perfect. It tells you everything you need to know about the world, Blade, and his relationship with it in about 10 minutes. Every single shot and every single beat is exactly as it should be. It's economical, it has great visuals, a radical soundtrack, great choreography, and even ends with a visual gag (a guy on fire being put out...as the movie slows down).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

With the benefit of hindsight I think I'd do something different with the ending, the CG is a bit distracting when you watch it today. Part of it is all the buckets of actual blood you see flying all over the place throughout the movie, the bit at the end is a jarring change.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The ending would have to keep the greatest ad lib in film history, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The ending would have to keep the greatest ad lib in film history, though.

Oh yes, obviously, that goes without saying. That's a top 5 line, not just ad lib, in movie history imo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Let's list some action movies that give you the hero's entire oeuvre in under 20 minutes:

Blade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Cliffhanger
Dredd

keep it going...

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

With the benefit of hindsight I think I'd do something different with the ending, the CG is a bit distracting when you watch it today. Part of it is all the buckets of actual blood you see flying all over the place throughout the movie, the bit at the end is a jarring change.

True. It’s a lot better than the blood tornado thing they did in the original ending, though. Conceptually it’s not bad, but the dated CGI work is rough.

Let's list some action movies that give you the hero's entire oeuvre in under 20 minutes:

Blade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Cliffhanger
Dredd

keep it going...

The whole robbery/rooftop sequence from the beginning of Batman ‘89.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 31, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Cliffhanger
Dredd

keep it going...

Batman(1989)
Escape from NY
Pitch Black

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Blade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Cliffhanger
Dredd

keep it going...

Die Hard

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Commando, I'm pretty sure. Face/off sets everything up in the first scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The first like, five minutes of Commando is just Arnold carrying around a big fuckin tree interspersed with close ups of his pecs and biceps. Might not be him cutting off arms with a machete, but I’d say it accurately sums up why most of the audience bought a ticket.

E: beaten